ADVERTISEMENT

Matt Campbell seat getting warm?

The consensus by Clone fans after the game was, “WTF was Matt Campbell thinking letting almost 35 seconds go by between each offensive play in the 4th quarter?!” Most couldn’t believe how poor his clock management was toward the end. Neither could most Iowa fans. Personally I was shocked by it.

Have to think another losing season will get his seat a little warmer up in Ames. Bet he’s wishing he struck while the iron was hot and left two years ago.
He had to score that possession. They were playing in a game that had no business being in at that point. If you don't have the right players on the field with a young qb that had shown no ability to score up until that point, it doesn't really matter.
MC was playing for: a td, then onside or kick deep. No big secret or concern. He knew exactly what KF would do, run three times, and they had a 90% chance of stopping it to get the ball back. If you told MC at the half they would have a drive to tie, he would have taken it.

He had to score that possession. They were playing in a game that had no business being in at that point. If you don't have the right players on the field with a young qb that had shown no ability to score up until that point, it doesn't really matter.
MC was playing for: a td, then onside or kick deep. No big secret or concern. He knew exactly what KF would do, run three times, and they had a 90% chance of stopping it to get the ball back. If you told MC at the half they would have a drive to tie, he would have taken it.
Good post.

Ah yes - I forgot. You're the, "Big 12 offenses aren't good, their defense just sucks. Big 10 offenses don't suck, the defense is just good" guy.
2022 Scoring Defenses

Big 10

Illinois #1, Iowa #2, Minnesota #4, Michigan #7, PSU #10, Wisconsin #17, OSU #24. Top 10 defenses 5 and 7 Big 10 teams in the top 25 scoring defenses and #119 Indiana the only team in the bottom 25.

Big 12
Top 25 Big 12 defenses 1 #18 ISU. Top 30 3 including #27 Texas and #28 KSU. Bottom 25 two West Virginia #115 and Kansas #125.

It is not always easy to compare conferences as they usually only have 2 non-conference power 5 opponents. Illinois the #1 defense held its 2 power 5 opponents to a total of 22 points while Iowa the #2 defense held it two opponents to 10 points. Minnesota allowed 27 to its two power 5 opponents while Wisconsin allowed 34 points, and PSU allowed 33.

Kansas a poor defense allowed 65 points to its two opponents while West Virginia only played 1 OOC power 5 opponent and allowed 38 points.

Guarantee Rate Bowl Results - 2022 Wisconsin 24 OSU 17, 2021 Minnesota 18 WVU 6 and Minnesota was inside the WVU 5 and began taking a knee. Michigan did the Big 10 defenses no favors against TCU.

Last edited:
2022 Scoring Defenses

Big 10

Illinois #1, Iowa #2, Minnesota #4, Michigan #7, PSU #10, Wisconsin #17, OSU #24. Top 10 defenses 5 and 7 Big 10 teams in the top 25 scoring defenses and #119 Indiana the only team in the bottom 25.

Big 12
Top 25 Big 12 defenses 1 #18 ISU. Top 30 3 including #27 Texas and #28 KSU. Bottom 25 two West Virginia #115 and Kansas #125.

Why did you leave out offense? That is my whole point - when our division never has any NFL caliber QB's our course the team scoring defense is going to look good for Iowa and Minnesota.

2022 Scoring Offense:

Big 10 West:

#67 - Minnesota
#75 - Purdue
#77 - Wisconsin
#95 - Illinois
#102 - Nebraska
#123 - Iowa
#128 - Northwestern

Big 12:
#10 - TCU
#21 - Kansas
#25 - Texas
#27 - Texas Tech
#33 - Oklahoma
#37 - Kansas St
#38 - Baylor

Why did you leave out offense? That is my whole point - when our division never has any NFL caliber QB's our course the team scoring defense is going to look good for Iowa and Minnesota.

2022 Scoring Offense:

Big 10 West:

#67 - Minnesota
#75 - Purdue
#77 - Wisconsin
#95 - Illinois
#102 - Nebraska
#123 - Iowa
#128 - Northwestern

Big 12:
#10 - TCU
#21 - Kansas
#25 - Texas
#27 - Texas Tech
#33 - Oklahoma
#37 - Kansas St
#38 - Baylor
I show more than how they ranked I also showed how they did against power 5 opponents. 5 teams in the top 10 in scoring defense. You show 1 top 10 in scoring offense TCU. Big 10 West has 3 top 5 defenses and the Big 12 has 0 top 5 offenses.

TCU OOC included Colorado the worst team in scoring defense at 44.5 points per game. SMU the #118 scoring defense and Tarleton State a team Sagarin ranks at #185 and a 20 point dog to UNI. TCU scored 38 on Colorado while Air Force scored 41 and Minnesota scored 49. Minnesota out scores TCU by 11 playing the same team. TCU could not even get to the average score 44.5 that Colorado allowed. Scored 59 on Tarleton State sure helps your stats.

Kansas much of the same played Houston #111 scoring defense and Arkansas #100 and Duke #31.

ISU vs Iowa last 3 games scored 13,10,17. And the 17 includes a score on Iowa's second string D. How do they do against Big 12 defenses?

And the West is 2-0 against the Big 12 in Bowl games the last two years. Big 12 offenses scored 6 and 17 so they are averaging 11.5 points.

Glad you included Baylor who played Albany the #198 rated team by Sagarin and Texas State the #153. They averaged 55.5 points on teams no power 5 school should play. Lost to BYU and played Air Force in a Bowl. Air Force has a top 5 D, but in the Mountain West. No problem with Baylor's # 38 offense as they managed 15 points and the Big 12 D showed up with Air Force scoring 30. Being down 30 -7 they scored a TD with 53 seconds left.

Texas Tech takes the cake for embarrassing opponents in Murry State rated #232 by Sagarin. South Dakota State would be favored by 44. They put 63 on poor Murry State to pad their stats. Then they, like Kansas, play Houston the #111 defense.

Iowa's two OOC power 5 opponents were both top 20 scoring defenses.

I show more than how they ranked I also showed how they did against power 5 opponents. 5 teams in the top 10 in scoring defense. You show 1 top 10 in scoring offense TCU. Big 10 West has 3 top 5 defenses and the Big 12 has 0 top 5 offenses.

TCU OOC included Colorado the worst team in scoring defense at 44.5 points per game. SMU the #118 scoring defense and Tarleton State a team Sagarin ranks at #185 and a 20 point dog to UNI. TCU scored 38 on Colorado while Air Force scored 41 and Minnesota scored 49. Minnesota out scores TCU by 11 playing the same team. TCU could not even get to the average score 44.5 that Colorado allowed. Scored 59 on Tarleton State sure helps your stats.

Kansas much of the same played Houston #111 scoring defense and Arkansas #100 and Duke #31.

ISU vs Iowa last 3 games scored 13,10,17. And the 17 includes a score on Iowa's second string D. How do they do against Big 12 defenses?

And the West is 2-0 against the Big 12 in Bowl games the last two years. Big 12 offenses scored 6 and 17 so they are averaging 11.5 points.

Glad you included Baylor who played Albany the #198 rated team by Sagarin and Texas State the #153. They averaged 55.5 points on teams no power 5 school should play. Lost to BYU and played Air Force in a Bowl. Air Force has a top 5 D, but in the Mountain West. No problem with Baylor's # 38 offense as they managed 15 points and the Big 12 D showed up with Air Force scoring 30. Being down 30 -7 they scored a TD with 53 seconds left.

Texas Tech takes the cake for embarrassing opponents in Murry State rated #232 by Sagarin. South Dakota State would be favored by 44. They put 63 on poor Murry State to pad their stats. Then they, like Kansas, play Houston the #111 defense.

Iowa's two OOC power 5 opponents were both top 20 scoring defenses.
Would Iowa's scoring defense in 2022 be better or worse if they had to play TCU, Kansas, and Texas instead of 3 Big 10 West Teams? Simple question really.

Im an ISU (and Iowa) fan. Campbell probably has a secret lifetime contract in Ames and it’s well deserved IMO. His teams are so much better than anything ISU has ever seen. I don’t think many ISU fans thought they would have a team with a pulse this year, but they seem to have one.
Campbell isn't going anywhere but some things are wearing thin:

1) Consistently poor OL play. Hopefully will improve with recently hired UNI's OL coach Ryan Clanton. Will need time.

2) Poor WR play. No game breakers and dropped passes at inopportune times

3) Poor Offensive Play in general. Defense has been very good to great under Jon Heacock. Much of Campbell's success should be attributed to Heacock. Similar to Iowa and Parker. Most think Campbell has too much control of offense.

4) Coachspeak: We were a hair off. Win between the Margins. Develop players into young men. We are a young team. On and On

5) Did I mention Coachspeak?

In general the downswing started with the 2021 season. After returning most starters from a team that lost a close game to OU in the CCG and beat Oregon in the Fiesta Bowl they went 7-6. Was touted as a top 10 team or better. Roster included Brock Purdy, Breece Hall, Charlie Kolar, Chase Allen, Xavier Hutchison, Mike Rose, Will McDonald and several others that made NFL rosters.

• Haha
Reactions: PoleSmokinHerkyFan
The consensus by Clone fans after the game was, “WTF was Matt Campbell thinking letting almost 35 seconds go by between each offensive play in the 4th quarter?!” Most couldn’t believe how poor his clock management was toward the end. Neither could most Iowa fans. Personally I was shocked by it.

Have to think another losing season will get his seat a little warmer up in Ames. Bet he’s wishing he struck while the iron was hot and left two years ago.
If he has gas, yes. If not, no. He is safe there for awhile for sure.

• Haha
Would Iowa's scoring defense in 2022 be better or worse if they had to play TCU, Kansas, and Texas instead of 3 Big 10 West Teams? Simple question really.
Why only West teams? Iowa played 3 teams from the East that impacted their stats.

Who do they replace on the schedule? OSU had a much better offense than TCU, they were #2 in the nation and played ND and had to play Iowa, PSU, Mich and Wisc defenses and the #38 scoring defense in ND. Even playing these defenses they out scored TCU by 5.4 points per game. OSU scored 54 on Iowa I would say TCU could score 28-35. Hard to say as Minnesota scored 49 against Colorado while TCU scored 38, yet Minnesota only scored 10 against Iowa. TCU played 1 top 5 Defense and got 7 points.

Michigan was the #6 scoring offense outscoring Texas by 5.9 points per game, Texas scored 19 and 20 points when playing out of conference power 5 teams. They also scored 24 on ISU. An again Michigan played top 10 defenses in Iowa, Ill, PSU. Texas played 1 Alabama. Michigan scored 27 on Iowa I got Texas at between 17-24.

Kansas averaged 18 points per game when they played the top 3 Big 12 defenses in ISU, Texas, and KSU. They played Tennessee Tech the #202 team by Sagarin and put 56 on them. South Dakota State would be favored by 38 vs Tennessee Tech and UNI by 25. Nebraska scored 24 on Iowa I do not see Kansas doing better than that.

The Big 12 should be ashamed of the teams they play and their stats reflect how easy they can score on crap teams. #153 Texas State, #185, Towson #193, Tarleton St, #198 Albany, #202 Tennessee Tech and #232 Murry St, and of course #254 Arkansas Pine Bluff. There are only 261 teams and Drake is #246.

Why only West teams? Iowa played 3 teams from the East that impacted their stats.

Who do they replace on the schedule? OSU had a much better offense than TCU, they were #2 in the nation and played ND and had to play Iowa, PSU, Mich and Wisc defenses and the #38 scoring defense in ND. Even playing these defenses they out scored TCU by 5.4 points per game. OSU scored 54 on Iowa I would say TCU could score 28-35. Hard to say as Minnesota scored 49 against Colorado while TCU scored 38, yet Minnesota only scored 10 against Iowa. TCU played 1 top 5 Defense and got 7 points.

Michigan was the #6 scoring offense outscoring Texas by 5.9 points per game, Texas scored 19 and 20 points when playing out of conference power 5 teams. They also scored 24 on ISU. An again Michigan played top 10 defenses in Iowa, Ill, PSU. Texas played 1 Alabama. Michigan scored 27 on Iowa I got Texas at between 17-24.

Kansas averaged 18 points per game when they played the top 3 Big 12 defenses in ISU, Texas, and KSU. They played Tennessee Tech the #202 team by Sagarin and put 56 on them. South Dakota State would be favored by 38 vs Tennessee Tech and UNI by 25. Nebraska scored 24 on Iowa I do not see Kansas doing better than that.

The Big 12 should be ashamed of the teams they play and their stats reflect how easy they can score on crap teams. #153 Texas State, #185, Towson #193, Tarleton St, #198 Albany, #202 Tennessee Tech and #232 Murry St, and of course #254 Arkansas Pine Bluff. There are only 261 teams and Drake is #246.
The fact you won't answer the question is an answer in itself. It's not hard - our defensive scoring stats wouldn't be as shiny if we didn't get to play 6 Big 10 West teams, that's ok to admit.

That is embarrassing.

When you are in a G5 + conference, this happens.
Stadium holds a whopping 24,000.

1920px-CFB150_Anniversary_Game.jpg

The fact you won't answer the question is an answer in itself. It's not hard - our defensive scoring stats wouldn't be as shiny if we didn't get to play 6 Big 10 West teams, that's ok to admit.
Iowa played two offenses better than any in the Big 12. I like how you try to pick and chose to make your point. Iowa plays a 9 game Big 10 schedule. None of the 3 teams would impact our stats if they replaced Minnesota. Minnesota averaged 44.25 PPG against their 4 non- conference opponents and 38.5 PPG against the two power 5 schools they played. Then against PSU, Iowa and Illinois they averaged 13.7.

Let's talk more about Baylor who played 2 group of 5 schools and and lost to both scoring on average 17.5 PPG. Then they play #153 Albany and #202 Texas St. who they averaged 55.5 PPG. You actually posted that they are the #38 scoring offense. What a joke. Texas State then beats them this year and scores 42. The Big 12 defense shows up again. Their next game is against Brooklyn who has already lost to Ohio and Bryant both by double digits. Wyoming puts 35 on Texas Tech another great defense.

Now I see why the Big 12 added 4 group of 5 teams. They want to continue to brag about their offenses by playing week teams. Then they add Arizona #125 scoring defense and ASU #106 in 2024.

Last edited:
ISU headed to Ohio is a bit of head scratcher until you look at the logistics. To bring in a school like Ohio et.al. for a two year deal will cost Iowa state around 2.5 million which according to AD would be passed along s higher ticket prices. Additionally, it puts extra $$$ in the hands of the football program. Not all schools have unlimited budgets and consequently must make decisions that to larger programs seem an embarrassment.

ISU headed to Ohio is a bit of head scratcher until you look at the logistics. To bring in a school like Ohio et.al. for a two year deal will cost Iowa state around 2.5 million which according to AD would be passed along s higher ticket prices. Additionally, it puts extra $$$ in the hands of the football program. Not all schools have unlimited budgets and consequently must make decisions that to larger programs seem an embarrassment.
Still a head scratcher. Wouldn't they easily make that money up in ticket and concession sales?

• Haha
Still a head scratcher. Wouldn't they easily make that money up in ticket and concession sales?

It was scheduled during the Paul Rhoads tenure. It’s comparable to Iowa playing at Miami OH when Kirk was trying to get the Iowa program off the ground. Iowa St is fulfilling their obligation on the home/home. It’s still dumb to do, Iowa shouldn’t have either

• Haha
Vegas odds for their game va Ohio tells us everything we need to know about ISU.

They are not in a good spot 8 years into lil Matty's tenure.

• Haha
It was scheduled during the Paul Rhoads tenure. It’s comparable to Iowa playing at Miami OH when Kirk was trying to get the Iowa program off the ground. Iowa St is fulfilling their obligation on the home/home. It’s still dumb to do, Iowa shouldn’t have either
The Miami (OH) game was a 2 for 1 deal. They played in Kinnick in 2001 and 2003. We went to Oxford in 2002.

That was a pretty dang good contract for us too. Played three games against a future elite QB in Big Ben, against a team that was decent to really good all three years(7-5, 7-5, 13-1), and came away with three wins. Plus we didn't have to pay them to come to Kinnick twice.

• Haha
The Miami-OH deal was over two decades ago and is not comparable or relevant to ISU going to Ohio this weekend.

What is relevant is that ISU is a small time program. 1-7 Matt going on the road to the MAC, where his roots are.
Maybe Lil Matty wants to go back to a better program?

• Haha
John & Eric were talking about that -- naturally -- during the drive. Their take was that scoring the TD was essential, so the top priority was to avoid turning over the ball or otherwise screwing up the possession. New QB, new OC, new RB, new receivers....as somebody mentioned, these guys were wearing play lists on their wrists. And they did get the ball back with a decent chance to score again.

I don't know enough to have an opinion on that. But once they got the ball back, I really don't see trying to run it, which they hadn't been able to do since the opening quarter.
It was certainly frustrating to watch, but I suspect the coaches didn't feel they would be successful running a hurry-up offense. Keep in mind that a starter wasn't named until late in fall camp and they were splitting time with the 1's, not just at quarterback, but also a number of other positions. Better chance to succeed than look like the Keystone Cops and fail. They scored and got the ball back with a chance to tie or win, so it's hard to argue too much with the result. I didn't like the play-calling on the last possession, especially that 4th down play that we ran right into the strength of the Iowa defense. You could see disaster coming before the snap.

Last edited:
Reactions: ichawk24
Leipold is a great coach. I'm not expecting a win there but I'm just saying it's not hard to find games where ISU would have a chance.
It all depends on the development of the offense. We've got work to do. We definitely need to get a run game going. It's going to take the young guys stepping up and playing like veterans. We're too easy to defend right now. Oh, and our veteran receiver needs to hang on to the ball if we keep going to him.

I hope he stays. Iowa State isn't terrible anymore, which gives an historically awful rivalry some actual juice. And yet we still beat them all the time. Which is great.

Reactions: ichawk24
Iowa fans know a thing or two about clock mismanagement. It hasn’t gotten our coach fired nor has it gotten any better in the last 23 years.

Hasn’t gotten any better huh? Ok…funny though, I believe I have seen a number of articles (
Marc Morehouse used to track last 2 minutes) on it over the years pointing out it has been better…oh well, what’s the difference. I’ve seen hall of fame coaches (Nick Saban) critiqued fir their time management.

I’d say if that’s happening it’s a no win scenario!

I’m curious who you think they can beat in the Big 12. I don’t see one sure win, much less a >.500 record.

That’s because a certain segment of our fan base naturally assumes our competition sucks, so it fits their narrative that all our wins are meaningless.

Case in point, if we best PSU and they go 8-4 or less it will no longer be a “good win” it’s how those kind of fans are…😂

Quite frankly, after 2 games no one knows how many games a team will win. I totally expect Texas to lose at least 3 games! People are easily tricked.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT