ADVERTISEMENT

Matt Campbell won't be coaching at Clown U next year? That's a shame.

The hurdle for teams trying to pry Campbell away from Iowa State is his buyout, which exceeds $9 million. That buyout caused UT officials to back away from Campbell, Schlabach reported.

“They just could not figure out a way to get around his $9.4 million buyout,” Schlabach reported.

He'd still be owed like 7 million this year. Why would that change for these schools that will pursue him?

Again, I'm not saying he'll leave. I'm just saying it's not the slam dunk it's made out to be.

He'd still be owed like 7 million this year. Why would that change for these schools that will pursue him?

Again, I'm not saying he'll leave. I'm just saying it's not the slam dunk it's made out to be.

Most active coaches have some level of contractual buyout. It depends on the program and what the alternatives are.

His ceiling would never be higher. OSU, TCU, Baylor and WVU are all relatively down to historic standards.

ISU may only have two opposing conference teams in the top 25. 8-9 wins is very feasible this year. In the next few years it will get tougher as those others reload.

Last edited:
Baylor is vastly superior to it's historical standard still, and if there is anybody who is absolutely short lived at his school it's Rhule. OSU is about back to it's historical standard pre-Gundy. WVU is basically right at it's historical standard during the Holgo era and they have a new coach. KSU has never won without Snyder.

The Big 12 going forward is either probably going to be down, or it's completely unsure because of having 4 new coaches in a 10 team league.

Reactions: Simbahawk4
Baylor is vastly superior to it's historical standard still, and if there is anybody who is absolutely short lived at his school it's Rhule. OSU is about back to it's historical standard pre-Gundy. WVU is basically right at it's historical standard during the Holgo era and they have a new coach. KSU has never won without Snyder.

The Big 12 going forward is either probably going to be down, or it's completely unsure because of having 4 new coaches in a 10 team league.

By historical standard I'm referring to recent maybe 10-20 years, not the 1970s.

OSU has six 10 win seasons in the past ten years. They'll be back there soon.

Baylor had four 10 win seasons before taking a nose dive in 2017 and winning 7 last year.

WVU has been off and on. A couple 10 win seasons and a couple of 9 win seasons in the past 10.

TCU had six 10 win seasons in the last decade.

The bottomline is each of those 4 teams have had multiple recent 10 win seasons in the last decade and none did last year.

The Big 12 really was down last year outside of Texas and Oklahoma. ISU will likely have some more 5 and 6 win seasons as some of the 4 I mentioned improve.

You do realize there is a big difference between inquiries and a job offer don't you?

If he gets any decent P5 offers it would be in his interest to take it. He's basically maxed his potential at ISU. They don't have the facilities or fanbase of other programs. He also has limited instate recruiting. Iowa will likely get all of the top 6-7 Iowa guys next year.

I'm not slighting ISU, it's just the reality of college football.
Clearly you have no clue.

Campbell will be at ISU for a few more seasons after this one at least. I know through connections with people working in ISU atheltic dept and people doing work with the alumni association Matt Campbell and his family like living in Ames and Matt enjoys coaching at ISU. He also has a great relationship with Jamie Pollard. Everyone on this board was hoping MC would be gone at the end of 2017, same thing in 2018, and you guys will say it at the end of 2019. He will still be at ISU after this season.

Maybe. I heard the same thing about Hoiberg.

No one knows.

Reactions: owenhawk
By historical standard I'm referring to recent maybe 10-20 years, not the 1970s.

OSU has six 10 win seasons in the past ten years. They'll be back there soon.

Baylor had four 10 win seasons before taking a nose dive in 2017 and winning 7 last year.

WVU has been off and on. A couple 10 win seasons and a couple of 9 win seasons in the past 10.

TCU had six 10 win seasons in the last decade.

The bottomline is each of those 4 teams have had multiple recent 10 win seasons in the last decade and none did last year.

The Big 12 really was down last year outside of Texas and Oklahoma. ISU will likely have some more 5 and 6 win seasons as some of the 4 I mentioned improve.

Why will OSU be back soon? I think it's much more likely Gundy is gone.

Rhule interviews for every job under the sun. Baylor sucked in the Big 12 before Briles and has basically sucked since he left.

WVU who knows. They hired the guy from Troy, but they lost a ton of talent. They won't be good this year.

TCU has been great, and historically if they have a bad season they bounce right back. However, I just don't see it next year - they have 6 QB's in their room and it's basically a pu pu platter.

Campbell will be at ISU for a few more seasons after this one at least. I know through connections with people working in ISU atheltic dept and people doing work with the alumni association Matt Campbell and his family like living in Ames and Matt enjoys coaching at ISU. He also has a great relationship with Jamie Pollard. Everyone on this board was hoping MC would be gone at the end of 2017, same thing in 2018, and you guys will say it at the end of 2019. He will still be at ISU after this season.

Yeah like how many fan bases have said this same thing only to see a coach leave for a more attractive an lucrative job. Of course it's wishful thinking that no way a coach wants to leave your school that you are a fan of and have those blinders on. Everything you said about liking the school, living there etc has all been said by coaches and feeling most have in general which is part of the reason why they took the jobs they did.

But in the end only 2 people outside of MC have the inside info if he is looking to leave for another job or not and they are his agent and his wife. And it's not like they are going to say anything and until he leaves they of course will continue to say positive things about ISU and Ames.

Why will OSU be back soon? I think it's much more likely Gundy is gone.

Rhule interviews for every job under the sun. Baylor sucked in the Big 12 before Briles and has basically sucked since he left.

WVU who knows. They hired the guy from Troy, but they lost a ton of talent. They won't be good this year.

TCU has been great, and historically if they have a bad season they bounce right back. However, I just don't see it next year - they have 6 QB's in their room and it's basically a pu pu platter.

You sure about that with Gundy? Where is he planning on going?

This article was literally from a week ago....
https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/27381802/i-am

Yeah like how many fan bases have said this same thing only to see a coach leave for a more attractive an lucrative job. Of course it's wishful thinking that no way a coach wants to leave your school that you are a fan of and have those blinders on. Everything you said about liking the school, living there etc has all been said by coaches and feeling most have in general which is part of the reason why they took the jobs they did.

But in the end only 2 people outside of MC have the inside info if he is looking to leave for another job or not and they are his agent and his wife. And it's not like they are going to say anything and until he leaves they of course will continue to say positive things about ISU and Ames.
Some coaches are clearly aiming for bigger and better things. Johnny Majors loved Iowa State -- still comes back at least once a year -- but it wasn't a surprise to anybody when he left for Pitt. Earle Bruce probably wouldn't have gone anywhere other than his alma mater.

I don't think many ISU fans think Campbell will retire at Iowa State. A lot of us, however, think he won't take just any job.He has it pretty good where he is right now.

The alternative will drive them insane. People forget that Fry came to a team that was one of the worst teams in college football and had been for two decades. Fry stayed for nearly 20 years.

Exactly. And ol' Hayden turned our Hawkeyes into a perennial top-40 powerhouse during his tenure. People have short sighted memories.

FIrst off, in the title of this thread I call them Clown U and I love how Clown fans have accepted the fact that they are Clown U and therefore participate in this thread with zero hesitation.

Secondly, I love how Clown fans get all butt hurt when the national media predicts MC is going to leave Lames.

Third, I love how Clown fans then use defensive mechanisms saying things like "well, Iowa fans want MC to leave." Clown fans are so illogical; MC has yet to beat us and we want him to leave? Personally, I couldn't care less if MC wants to continue living in Lames and getting his a$$ whipped by The Iowa Hawkeyes.
We just expect it from Hawk fans. But let's be honest when you have been using the same joke for decades we have become kind of numb to it because you can't come up with anything else smarter to say.

I think MC will be in Ames for a long long time.

Great place to raise his family and the seat will will never get very hot.

I hear his staff loves Ames too.

Reactions: HAWKS4LIFE
Some coaches are clearly aiming for bigger and better things. Johnny Majors loved Iowa State -- still comes back at least once a year -- but it wasn't a surprise to anybody when he left for Pitt. Earle Bruce probably wouldn't have gone anywhere other than his alma mater.

I don't think many ISU fans think Campbell will retire at Iowa State. A lot of us, however, think he won't take just any job.He has it pretty good where he is right now.

He may have had a shot at the OSU job (extremely, massively debatable, probably wouldn't have gotten it if we're realistic) and OSU is 50k times the job as ISU. Honestly, I think his goal is just be a big fish in a little pond. ISU is perfect for that. Beat Iowa once every so often an finish in the top 6 of the Oklahoma 12

We just expect it from Hawk fans. But let's be honest when you have been using the same joke for decades we have become kind of numb to it because you can't come up with anything else smarter to say.

It not just the jokes though, they still keep beating you on the regular. I mean most of the time. Like what? 11 out of 15. Can you imagine what it would be if you didn't have that very well timed 5 game winning streak like nearly 20 years ago?

It not just the jokes though, they still keep beating you on the regular. I mean most of the time. Like what? 11 out of 15. Can you imagine what it would be if you didn't have that very well timed 5 game winning streak like nearly 20 years ago?

And that Clowns joke was used far longer than 20 years ago. Get some new material.

And that Clowns joke was used far longer than 20 years ago. Get some new material.

Do you lecture your fellow clones for using the same old stuff on their boards like Hoks or what ever else they use anymore? If not then STFU. The mere fact that you are on an Iowa board complaining about what Iowa fans call ISU tells us all we need to know. Plus complaining about shows that it does in some shape or form get under your skin a little bit and just does the opposite and encourages people to use it more here.

Do you lecture your fellow clones for using the same old stuff on their boards like Hoks or what ever else they use anymore? If not then STFU. The mere fact that you are on an Iowa board complaining about what Iowa fans call ISU tells us all we need to know. Plus complaining about shows that it does in some shape or form get under your skin a little bit and just does the opposite and encourages people to use it more here.
It isn't Hoks. It's TOE.

Reactions: mrcyfan
Ferentz is 11-9, or 1 game above .500, against Iowa State.

Just as Campbell lost his first 4 games against Iowa, so did Ferentz, losing his first 4 games against ISU.

We'll see what happens next.

I have never once added to a ISU or Nebraska thread, but i am amazed by the stupidity of ISU posters on this one wow!

Your savior would leave ISU in a heartbeat for half the jobs in the B10, if you guys honestly believe he wont leave one of, if not the worst power 5 programs in the next few years then im amazed. I know most ISU fans that arent this dumb, just the ones replying in this thread.

I mean just enjoy the success you guys have had the last couple years, hope the next coach can keep it up! Stop making your fanbase look like complete fools with this stupidity.

Last edited:
Reactions: iahawkeyes17
FIrst off, in the title of this thread I call them Clown U and I love how Clown fans have accepted the fact that they are Clown U and therefore participate in this thread with zero hesitation.

Secondly, I love how Clown fans get all butt hurt when the national media predicts MC is going to leave Lames.

Third, I love how Clown fans then use defensive mechanisms saying things like "well, Iowa fans want MC to leave." Clown fans are so illogical; MC has yet to beat us and we want him to leave? Personally, I couldn't care less if MC wants to continue living in Lames and getting his a$$ whipped by The Iowa Hawkeyes.
Posts like yours are like tweets from the president, have been numbed to the hyperbole and don't take them seriously lol

Same old talking points from the hawkeye message board playbook, old news, lol

11 out of the last 16 and 4 in a row. You can polish it anyway you want, point being, the last 15 years has been dominated by Iowa.

Don't you know we only go back now 21 years when looking at Iowa-ISU rivalry because it fits the narrative the best for them. Cause it shows lowest winning % for Iowa against them which is still in Iowa's favor.

Looking back at #s below there is a reason why that's as far back as they will only go but ignore any other time span...

5 years 4-1 Iowa (.800%)
10 years 7-3 Iowa (.700%)
15 years 10-5 Iowa (.667%)
20 years 11-9 Iowa (.550%)
21 years 11-10 Iowa (.524%)
22-37 just continues to rise for Iowa
Overall 44-22 Iowa (.667%)

Reactions: ichawk24
Posts like yours are like tweets from the president, have been numbed to the hyperbole and don't take them seriously lol

Same old talking points from the hawkeye message board playbook, old news, lol
Hey, Clown fan.

Why are you on a Hawkeye board? Is it anything more than little brother syndrome?

Don't you know we only go back now 21 years when looking at Iowa-ISU rivalry because it fits the narrative the best for them. Cause it shows lowest winning % for Iowa against them which is still in Iowa's favor.

Looking back at #s below there is a reason why that's as far back as they will only go but ignore any other time span...

5 years 4-1 Iowa (.800%)
10 years 7-3 Iowa (.700%)
15 years 10-5 Iowa (.667%)
20 years 11-9 Iowa (.550%)
21 years 11-10 Iowa (.524%)
22-37 just continues to rise for Iowa
Overall 44-22 Iowa (.667%)

Let's not forget the 15 straight. Have to include all the data according to WallStreet

Let's not forget the 15 straight. Have to include all the data according to WallStreet

Good point. If 21 years is a measure 35 years should be equally valid.

I have never once added to a ISU or Nebraska thread, but i am amazed by the stupidity of ISU posters on this one wow!

Your savior would leave ISU in a heartbeat for half the jobs in the B10, if you guys honestly believe he wont leave one of, if not the worst power 5 programs in the next few years then im amazed. I know most ISU fans that arent this dumb, just the ones replying in this thread.

I mean just enjoy the success you guys have had the last couple years, hope the next coach can keep it up! Stop making your fanbase look like complete fools with this stupidity.
LOL!!! Desperation is setting in. I love it!!!

LOL!!! Desperation is setting in. I love it!!!

Desperation for what?

Matt Campbell looks like a very good coach and might end up being the best coach ISU has ever had. But in 3 years at ISU he has a .500 record, a losing record in conference games, and has never beaten the hawks. We have no reason to be desperate yet.

Yea maybe he beats the hawks this year, and maybe the clowns win 10 games, and maybe he makes ISU nationally significant, and maybe he'll turn down fantastic job offers to stay at ISU forever. Yea, lots of maybes. It seems like we're not desperate so much as ISU fans are blinded by a litany of assumptions about Campbell.

Reactions: naturalmwa
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT