ADVERTISEMENT

Max Murin and Jacob Warner

MSU158

HR Heisman
Nov 20, 2014
Two of the most maligned wrestlers on this team and probably the two I have been most impressed with so far in Detroit. It’s almost like they realize how beat up most of their go to guys are and how important it is for them to step up.

Now, Murin probably has the most difficult task ahead of him other than any heavyweight not named Steveson. But, if he keeps wrestling like he has, I think he finally AA’s and may end up rather high on that podium.

Warner can win this thing if he wrestles smart and doesn’t coast in the 3rd. If he can keep the momentum going and beats Schultz I really think he makes the Finals.
Let’s hope he has his mind right tomorrow morning!

Two of the most maligned wrestlers on this team and probably the two I have been most impressed with so far in Detroit. It’s almost like they realize how beat up most of their go to guys are and how important it is for them to step up.

Now, Murin probably has the most difficult task ahead of him other than any heavyweight not named Steveson. But, if he keeps wrestling like he has, I think he finally AA’s and may end up rather high on that podium.

Warner can win this thing if he wrestles smart and doesn’t coast in the 3rd. If he can keep the momentum going and beats Schultz I really think he makes the Finals.
I agree on Murin. If he loses against Yianni, he will have one of Van Brill, Milliner, Realbuto, or Finesilver to All American. I think with the way he has been wrestling he would be favored against all of those guys.

Kaleb Young only has to get by Carr. Horrible match-up for him. Ayala has a slew of guys on his side that all have beaten him.

I know Yianni is all that and then some and seems like a lock to win it all, but if Alex Meyer can beat Mark Hall, Max can beat Yianni. He just needs to have a fluke 6-point move in the 3rd with Yianni up 7-4 with 15 seconds remaining. C'mon Max! Shock the wrestling world!! :)

BTW, couldn't agree more WRT Max. He really brought the heat on day 1 and I hope he can pull of the upset miracle against Yianni!

Reactions: el dub

Coast? He doesn't coast in the third, he is gassed in the third.

I know Yianni is all that and then some and seems like a lock to win it all, but if Alex Meyer can beat Mark Hall, Max can beat Yianni. He just needs to have a fluke 6-point move in the 3rd with Yianni up 7-4 with 15 seconds remaining. C'mon Max! Shock the wrestling world!! :)
True freshman Hall versus senior Alex Meyer? In Hall's coming out of redshirt match? In Carver for the first time? Surely you can come up with a better David versus Goliath comparison than that. 🙂

Coast? He doesn't coast in the third, he is gassed in the third.
Nice contribution and shows how little you actually know. Has he ran out of gas in the 3rd before? Sure. Basically every DI wrestler has. However, that actually is NOT his M.O. What he DOES do against top guys, is go completely defensive in the 3rd if he has any type of lead. Especially against Schultz, it has bit him hard…

Nice contribution and shows how little you actually know. Has he ran out of gas in the 3rd before? Sure. Basically every DI wrestler has. However, that actually is NOT his M.O. What he DOES do against top guys, is go completely defensive in the 3rd if he has any type of lead. Especially against Schultz, it has bit him hard…
When Warner gets a lead he's pretty tough, but he isn't very good a chasing points. To me the critical element to his success is getting a lead in the first period.

Warner HAS to score the first takedown to have a chance. I don't think any of us would really argue that. If he's down going into the third, firing shots and scoring is not his strength. Would love to see him get an early lead. Maybe a takedown as the first period ends and ride him out.

As for Murin, he has been super impressive to me. He is the most improved wrestler on the squad by quite a margin. Just goes to show how important seeding is. If he had gotten the 7 or 10, I think I would be picking him right now to advance. Unfortunately, he has to run into the 2nd best wrestler in the whole event with Yianni. It should be fun to watch him and see what he can do. He's definitely going to get on the stand.

When Warner gets a lead he's pretty tough, but he isn't very good a chasing points. To me the critical element to his success is getting a lead in the first period.
Not necessarily true. One of the best matches I have ever seen him wrestle was against Reenan, first match of NCAA's last year. He got put to his back and that lit a fire under him. We are just used to him wrestling in such close matches that he doesn't have to press nonstop when he is basically only a takedown away if he is losing and most of his losses are from him losing late, so he really NEVER has had to "chase points".

Not necessarily true. One of the best matches I have ever seen him wrestle was against Reenan, first match of NCAA's last year. He got put to his back and that lit a fire under him. We are just used to him wrestling in such close matches that he doesn't have to press nonstop when he is basically only a takedown away if he is losing and most of his losses are from him losing late, so he really NEVER has had to "chase points".
I think this is the exception to the rule but in that match he did make a comeback.

Funny, because she said you were way below average. In several ways.
The best thing about PSU fans is they cry to their mods if anyone says something mean, but come over here to start things. You’re softer than what I got last night.

• Haha
Murin wasn't maligned by anyone this year (I don't think). The kid has grown so much, and it was obvious from the beginning of this season. Probably didn't hurt that he came back looking like he trained with Rocky Balboa in Siberia this past offseason.

Am I correct in saying Murin will be a super senior, and that Warner will also graduate ( or does Warner have two seasons left; ditto for your hwt.).?

With Cass/Lee/Murin/Warner leading this team next season, I think there's a lot to be optimistic about.

Looking forward to how the season plays out with slightly less expectations.

With Cass/Lee/Murin/Warner leading this team next season, I think there's a lot to be optimistic about.

Looking forward to how the season plays out with slightly less expectations.
as long as we keep this in mind, it will be a fun year. excited to see what guys like schriever, kennedy, and henson can bring to the table. you can see the potential, but none of them have notched any great results yet. hoping to see them on the freestyle circuit too.

as long as we keep this in mind, it will be a fun year. excited to see what guys like schriever, kennedy, and henson can bring to the table. you can see the potential, but none of them have notched any great results yet. hoping to see them on the freestyle circuit too.
Regarding Kennedy, with O Toole being a freshman and Hamiti and Kharchla staying at 165(if they do), I'm not seeing Kennedy any higher than 4th best.

I know a lot can happen, but that's my uneducated guess.

Reactions: MVPFAN
Regarding Kennedy, with O Toole being a freshman and Hamiti and Kharchla staying at 165(if they do), I'm not seeing Kennedy any higher than 4th best.

I know a lot can happen, but that's my uneducated guess.
i would be very happy with 4th for him. griffith could stay at 165 again and wittlake will also be back, hopefully on 2 functioning legs this year. i haven't seen enough from kennedy to make me confident he's a sure fire AA, but the weight really clears out after the top 4-5.

Reactions: MVPFAN
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT