ADVERTISEMENT

McDonalds opening 25,000 robot run restaurants

Is the $15 dollars an hour just a scapegoat for the Fast food chain? I see Robots as the main employee regardless of hourly wage in the near future. It seemed inevitable.

Reactions: TexMichFan
Is the $15 dollars an hour just a scapegoat for the Fast food chain? I see Robots as the main employee regardless of hourly wage in the near future. It seemed inevitable.

Don't disagree, but McDonalds has been able to do this for years, and not applied the tech until now. $15 is simply too much. Teachers in rural Missouri don't make that.

If you don't think that fast food joints won't drastically cut staff and implement robots (touch screen ordering, self cooking fryers, etc.) you're an idiot. Those aren't $15 an hour jobs and they won't pay that.

They aren't $10 an hour jobs either, or $5 an hour jobs. The value is whatever can be saved vs automation. Most likely these jobs were always going to go away.

Reactions: THE_DEVIL
Don't disagree, but McDonalds has been able to do this for years, and not applied the tech until now. $15 is simply too much. Teachers in rural Missouri don't make that.

Teachers in rural Missouri also have a cost of living that's much lower.

What's the solution? I believe in a fair wage for employees and 8 bucks an hour really isn't enough especially in larger metropolitan areas where the cost of living is astonishing. However I also understand these should not be career jobs and 15 dollars is too steep.

Hopefully these MCRobots don't McSuck.

Hopefully these MCRobots don't McSuck.

If anything, the preparation of the food will be much better. I hit McDonald's about once a month and I can't remember the last time where I unwrapped a burger or breakfast sandwich and didn't have to spend 20 seconds (and several napkins) re-assembling it so that it is at least somewhat balanced.

Usually, the cheese and pickles are hanging out of one side of the bun while the burger is hanging out the other, and ketchup is randomly splattered around mostly on the wrapper.

I'm not a huge fan of a 15 dollars an hour minimum wage, but Americans should stand up to this. If unions are gonna picket non union labor then they should also do something about electronic labor.
If there aren't people working there don't eat there.

They aren't $10 an hour jobs either, or $5 an hour jobs. The value is whatever can be saved vs automation. Most likely these jobs were always going to go away.

I think most places could make it work with a $7ish min wage. Then there was still room to pay your better employees more to keep them happy.

My slightly subtle brag story: Worked at DQ in high school when min wage was $5.35. Usually our boss kept you at that for 6-9 months until you showed that 1) you were going to show up on time 2) you were willing to learn new skills other than mixing blizzards and making cones and 3) you could multitask. By the time I was done after about 5 years I was making just under $9 an hour. Why? Because I could do anything in that place to keep it running and had more value than just a cashier that filled up people's soda.

Moral of the story, if you are worth more than minimum wage, chances are that you will make more than minimum wage.

Reactions: Pepperman
If you don't think that fast food joints won't drastically cut staff and implement robots (touch screen ordering, self cooking fryers, etc.) you're an idiot. Those aren't $15 an hour jobs and they won't pay that.
Not only that, but customers (myself included) aren't likely to pay the food prices required to support $15/hr fast food jobs, forcing changes like this.

If anything, the preparation of the food will be much better. I hit McDonald's about once a month and I can't remember the last time where I unwrapped a burger or breakfast sandwich and didn't have to spend 20 seconds (and several napkins) re-assembling it so that it is at least somewhat balanced.

Usually, the cheese and pickles are hanging out of one side of the bun while the burger is hanging out the other, and ketchup is randomly splattered around mostly on the wrapper.

You're correct about the preparation of the food and not needing to reassemble your burger; however, don't you think you'd miss that human element. Just think, you get a perfect chicken sandwich every month and don't get to bitch? Where's the fun in that?

I love one of the comments...."I for one, welcome our new burger overlords"

If you read that article and didn't realize it was bullsh*t I'd like to discuss an oceanfront property development I'm working on in South Dakota....geezus :(

This paragraph should have tipped you off that the story is bogus:

“These things are great! They get their work done in a fast and orderly manner, plus they don’t ask for cigarette breaks,” Horner laughed.
“With the increasing demand for a minimum wage of $15/hr and the protests getting worse every day, this is something we have to implement. Plus with the tremendous margin of human error, poor hygiene, lack of education, laziness, as well as the recent advancements in artificial intelligence it just make sense to automate our restaurants now rather than later.”

Damn, was looking forward to some worldstar hiphop videos of black people poors berating robots

I'm not a huge fan of a 15 dollars an hour minimum wage, but Americans should stand up to this. If unions are gonna picket non union labor then they should also do something about electronic labor.
If there aren't people working there don't eat there.
Robot unions can't be that far off.

Although we know Snopes isn't perfect, it says the story is false.

http://www.snopes.com/media/notnews/robotmcdonalds.asp

It is fake. This is from the same site and is the guy noted as the McDonald's spokesperson.

http://newsexaminer.net/paul-horner...-internet-news-satirist-writer-news-examiner/

This particular story might be fake but it is still a fact that a jump to $15 an hour will cause McD's, Taco Bell, etc. to implement more automation.

Reactions: icu81222

SNL_0639_06_Cooking_with_The_Anal_Retentive_Chef.png

Reactions: Wendy79
Satire article, but the reality of automation in service jobs is inevitable.

This. I think it has become the sign of a good burger in some circles if the thing is sloppy and drips all over. It would be nice to have a button on the screen that would tell the robot to put half the mayo on the burger.

This. I think it has become the sign of a good burger in some circles if the thing is sloppy and drips all over. It would be nice to have a button on the screen that would tell the robot to put half the mayo on the burger.

I wonder if you can still program the robot to spit on Cops' burgers...?

As productivity rises hours should go down and wages should go up or a combination of the two.

Instead as productivity raises people dare not ask for better hours or wages or else robots.

As productivity rises hours should go down and wages should go up or a combination of the two.

Instead as productivity raises people dare not ask for better hours or wages or else robots.

If inflation, depreciation and material costs stay static. Which they never do.

It takes a minimum 3-5% year over year productivity increase to offset those costs.

yea, once I read the article, it's obviously a fake. I do, however, wish it was true. Imagine if you didn't have to wonder what was put in your food without you knowing it? If you didn't have to wait for the person to finish their text to order, or go get your food... one can dream...

Always assumed you were a fan of things that dripped mayo all over.

Reactions: naturalmwa
If you opened the article it was obvious it was fake. That doesn't mean more automation is not coming. In Europe they already have touch screen kiosks.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT