ADVERTISEMENT

Megan Gustafson

FSCuBsRVkAANmFz

Participated in her first light scrimmage, and sunk the deep ball...

Also, I just noticed they had picked up Mystics star center Tina Charles. How much you want to bet Charles was in the ear of management about picking up Gustafson? They seemed to have real good chemistry on the Mystics.

Last edited:
Participated in her first light scrimmage, and sunk the deep ball...

Also, I just noticed they had picked up Mystics star center Tina Charles. How much you want to bet Charles was in the ear of management about picking up Gustafson? They seemed to have real good chemistry on the Mystics.

so, you are saying a black player likes a white player? I was told in this thread that this does not happen in the WNBA

;)

and there are only 144 roster spots (12 players x 12 teams)
Saw this article other day on espn headlines. With salary cap and number of players looks like some teams even going with fewer than 12 to pay the smaller roster more. Again issue is if it wasn’t for nba subsidizing these franchises they probably wouldn’t exist any longer let alone players make the $ they do.

Saw this article other day on espn headlines. With salary cap and number of players looks like some teams even going with fewer than 12 to pay the smaller roster more. Again issue is if it wasn’t for nba subsidizing these franchises they probably wouldn’t exist any longer let alone players make the $ they do.

how do you fix these issues?

Ie, how do you get more teams, more TV viewership, better ratings, etc, so that the WNBA thrives like the male leagues?

Should they play in the fall/winter, for example? Would better marketing help? Or is the United States simply not interested in the product?

Ie, how do you get more teams, more TV viewership, better ratings, etc, so that the WNBA thrives like the male leagues?

Should they play in the fall/winter, for example? Would better marketing help? Or is the United States simply not interested in the product?
Good question Fran. The biggest problem I see is that the big money European leagues play later, and the ladies are still having to play in both leagues to make top money. They can't play at the same time as the euro leagues or the ladies would play over there. The quality is good, just not sure how you make people watch or go to the games however.

Reactions: Franisdaman
Methinks perhaps Megan's game doesn't translate well to the WNBA. She's obviously a true post player and what little I've seen of the WNBA most of their bigs have a somewhat developed outside game. ----- Incidentally, what kind of salaries do the WNBA players make?

• Haha
Reactions: Kurt Warner
For a second I thought I saw Jaime Printy... turned out to be Sophie Cunningham. Funny that the last time Gustafson played at Carver, she was playing against Cunningham, and now they are teammates.

Call me whatever name you want but I would guess that there will never be a good “season” for the WNBA to fit into. Unless there is nothing going on the fans just won’t be enough to self-support it. Sorry to say but people just don’t care enough about it. Against the NFL? No way. College football? Nope. College hoops? It just won’t draw enough to be able to pay its own bills.

Call me whatever name you want but I would guess that there will never be a good “season” for the WNBA to fit into. Unless there is nothing going on the fans just won’t be enough to self-support it. Sorry to say but people just don’t care enough about it. Against the NFL? No way. College football? Nope. College hoops? It just won’t draw enough to be able to pay its own bills.
I agree, the WNBA is a joke IMO

Game is slow and played beneath the rim. They can't even compete with college basketball men's or women as there is no tradition, pageantry or a large enough core group of fans. A few things they could do is stop griping about the pay, and how their game is just as good as the men's. It isn't. Anyone who knows anything about the game is turned off when they make and stand by blatantly false statements.

Game is slow and played beneath the rim. They can't even compete with college basketball men's or women as there is no tradition, pageantry or a large enough core group of fans. A few things they could do is stop griping about the pay, and how their game is just as good as the men's. It isn't. Anyone who knows anything about the game is turned off when they make and stand by blatantly false statements.
So you don’t watch because they gripe about the pay? I actually doubt it. If you don’t think the product is great that’s fine. However, they are still the best basketball players in the world. So actually the product is good.

Not sure what you mean. It’s a professional league with the best players in the world.
Try too hard to play like NBA players, positionless ball, etc... College ball that emphasis fundamentals and plays is fun to watch. If all you want is running and dunks, why watch women?

Try too hard to play like NBA players, positionless ball, etc... College ball that emphasis fundamentals and plays is fun to watch. If all you want is running and dunks, why watch women?
We’ll agree to disagree on this. It’s a professional league, which is why it’s called the WNBA. Why should they play like the college game? Do you expect the professional men to play like they do in college?

Isn't the WNBA sort of like watching the Indy 500 where the cars are limited to 120mph. Who would watch that? Men and women are different (regardless of what some try to say). Not saying women are bad or unathletic, just not in the same class as men.

Reactions: LarryMullenJr.
Isn't the WNBA sort of like watching the Indy 500 where the cars are limited to 120mph. Who would watch that? Men and women are different (regardless of what some try to say). Not saying women are bad or unathletic, just not in the same class as men.
But it’s basketball. Dunks are boring outside of a dunk competition.

Reactions: cyberhawk
We’ll agree to disagree on this. It’s a professional league, which is why it’s called the WNBA. Why should they play like the college game? Do you expect the professional men to play like they do in college?
Ummm….

So you don’t watch because they gripe about the pay? I actually doubt it. If you don’t think the product is great that’s fine. However, they are still the best basketball players in the world. So actually the product is good.
Reading is fundamental. Comprehension not so much.

Nowhere did I say I did not watch because they gripe about pay. I said "a few things they could do is stop griping about the pay." I suppose if you don't understand English you might interpret what I said as how you did. Is English your first language? Just curious.

As for your second statement, it is absolutely unfounded. "However, they are still the best basketball players in the world. So actually the product is good."
The first part of your statement (Which isn't true as they are not the best players in the world, they are the best female players. Big difference.) does not support the second part of your statement. Being the best at something does not necessarily make the product good. The best actors couldn't save the "Producers" from being a Broadway flop.

The men pro league sucks too. Last time I watch magic, bird, mj were playing

Reading is fundamental. Comprehension not so much.

Nowhere did I say I did not watch because they gripe about pay. I said "a few things they could do is stop griping about the pay." I suppose if you don't understand English you might interpret what I said as how you did. Is English your first language? Just curious.

As for your second statement, it is absolutely unfounded. "However, they are still the best basketball players in the world. So actually the product is good."
The first part of your statement (Which isn't true as they are not the best players in the world, they are the best female players. Big difference.) does not support the second part of your statement. Being the best at something does not necessarily make the product good. The best actors couldn't save the "Producers" from being a Broadway flop.
Ok, here we go. The thread was about a woman, a former Hawkeye star. If I had to clarify for your dumb ass that when I said they are the best players in the world I assumed you knew I was talking womens basketball. Guess next time I’ll spell it out for you. “Being the best at something does not necessarily make the product good. “. Your words. So are you a fan of Megan? Were you a fan of Iowa basketball when she was there and we made the elite 8? If a decorated player like her struggles to make a roster in the league wouldn’t the rest of the girls be pretty good then?

Reactions: Stephen Hawk King
Well you and the people on here that don’t appreciate the NBA or WNBA do. The rest of us like watching the best players in the world, male and female.
I was confused by your “it’s a professional league which is why they call it the WNBA” had me.

ADVERTISEMENT