ADVERTISEMENT

Mejia a Hawk!

What's that even mean?

UNESCO Cities of Literature work together to build strong global partnerships: encouraging literary exchanges, creating cross-cultural initiatives and developing local, national and international literary links. Each City is dedicated to pursuing excellence in literature on a local level, engaging citizens in a dynamic culture of words.

Iowa City, designated a UNESCO City of Literature in 2008, produced the world’s first Master of Fine Arts degree program in Creative Writing with Iowa Writer’s Workshop, setting the bar for Creative Writing teaching globally. It has produced over 25 Pulitzer Prize-winning authors since 1955.

Linky

UNESCO Cities of Literature work together to build strong global partnerships: encouraging literary exchanges, creating cross-cultural initiatives and developing local, national and international literary links. Each City is dedicated to pursuing excellence in literature on a local level, engaging citizens in a dynamic culture of words.

Iowa City, designated a UNESCO City of Literature in 2008, produced the world’s first Master of Fine Arts degree program in Creative Writing with Iowa Writer’s Workshop, setting the bar for Creative Writing teaching globally. It has produced over 25 Pulitzer Prize-winning authors since 1955.

Linky

Nice. I didn't know that. Thanks for the link

Linky

Now I feel a little more literate after reading that.

Poor defense in Cali? Is that a thing? Jake Varner, Chris Pendleton, Morgan MacIntosh, Stephen Abas, Stephen Neal, Aaron Pico (TD defense, not boxing), I MAR, Zahid Valencia, Jesse Delgado Those guys had some pretty good defense if I recall.
Living in Cali and watching the HS guys - I think the current technique seems to favor more of the Free Style (understatement). As for Mejia = he will be just fine.

Reactions: so cal hawkfan
Isnt IC the only UNESCO city of Literature in the U.S.?

Yes, at the time we were designated by the United Nations as a City of Literature (2008--probably because our wrestling team was turning heads again), we were only the third city in the world to gain that distinction, after Edinburgh, Scotland and Melbourne, Australia. They even picked us before frickety Dublin. Subsequent selections include some pretty heady company--Prague, Barcelona, Heidelberg, Krakow, Reykjavik, Nottingham. IC has a pretty outstanding reputation for writing, on an international scale. Almost rivals our reputation for lightweight grapplers who will stuff your ankle down your throat.

Criteria for being selected as a UNESCO City of Literature:

• Quality, quantity and diversity of publishing in the city
  • Quality and quantity of educational programs focusing on domestic or foreign literature at primary, secondary and tertiary levels
  • Literature, drama and/or poetry playing an important role in the city
  • Hosting literary events and festivals which promote domestic and foreign literature;
  • Existence of libraries, bookstores and public or private cultural centers which preserve, promote and disseminate domestic and foreign literature
  • Involvement by the publishing sector in translating literary works from diverse national languages and foreign literature
  • Active involvement of traditional and new media in promoting literature and strengthening the market for literary products.

To everybody bringing up Meija's match against Desanto:

Do you know the last Iowa recruit to get throttled in the Dapper Dan? Hint: It was the same weight class.

2012- 126 OW Jimmy Gulibon Derry DEC Cory Clark Southeast Polk Iowa 10-3

I'm not worried about the results of one All Star match, against an absolutely red hot wrestler in Desanto. Austin Desanto had the entire crowd behind him very vocally after becoming the biggest story in High School wrestling in his previous match. Also, the PSU crowd was Desanto's biggest fan, as they turned on Spencer Lee, booing and jeering him at the State Tournament and Desanto was the giant slayer they were hoping would take Spencer down. I would venture to say that no wrestler had as much support behind him at the Dapper Dan as Austin Desanto. I would also say that it was deserved as he was on an absolutely amazing run.

I don't want to make excuses for Meija, because he is going to be just fine regardless, but I will lay out a couple facts to keep in mind here. First, Austin Desanto is really good. No shame is losing to a guy like that. Second, The Dapper Dan is in the Eastern Time Zone and Meija was coming from the West Coast and with only 1 day to adjust. That is difficult, ask every West Coast NFL Coach and look at documented results of NBA, NFL, and MLB teams for their first game of a road trip traveling in that direction. Can it be overcome? Of course. But does it have an impact on performance and results? ALL the majors sports say definitively, yes. Thirdly, Meija was competing against a guy who competed up at 132 for the majority of the wrestling season and utilized the full (and very generous) weight allowance to make 126. I know Desanto won the State Title at 126, just like Meija, but, Meija competed at 113 and 120 the summer before this season (Meija won the CA Title at 113 lbs in 2016). So, Meija had an up hill climb in some regards. I hate to take away from the incredibly impressive performance by Desanto, because that is what it was an outrageously impressive victory. But, many results from All Star events don't predict who will have more future success. Heck remember when Steiber, Deiringer, and Tessari were all three almost major'd in the Dapper Dan by 3 guys most casual wrestling fans have long forgotten about (Travis Shaffer, Nick Hodkins, and Evan Henderson), some credentials there of course, but c'mon. Heck Jake Herbert, Kellen Russell, and heck even two Kemerers lost in Dapper Dan. Meija is going to be just fine.

This is a much more highly touted version of the Clark/Gilman combo from the class of 2012. Both recruiting classes also got a top 20 p4p recruit and 195 pound State Champ from the State of Illinois to tag along: 2012- Brooks, 2017- Warner. While 2012 turned out pretty good, I'll take the 2017 class.

I feel, although slightly less strongly, the same way about Murin BTW.

The Dapper Dan is in the Eastern Time Zone and Meija was coming from the West Coast and with only 1 day to adjust.
Great point! We also dont know the conditioning of a guy off season, especially just after winning a 4th and graduating. Each person takes that differently. I just had my oldest graduate and it was a very stressful incredibly busy time. Meja may well just have taken a break from training for a bit before starting college. I'd say he deserved it if he did.

To everybody bringing up Meija's match against Desanto:

Do you know the last Iowa recruit to get throttled in the Dapper Dan? Hint: It was the same weight class.

2012- 126 OW Jimmy Gulibon Derry DEC Cory Clark Southeast Polk Iowa 10-3

I'm not worried about the results of one All Star match, against an absolutely red hot wrestler in Desanto. Austin Desanto had the entire crowd behind him very vocally after becoming the biggest story in High School wrestling in his previous match. Also, the PSU crowd was Desanto's biggest fan, as they turned on Spencer Lee, booing and jeering him at the State Tournament and Desanto was the giant slayer they were hoping would take Spencer down. I would venture to say that no wrestler had as much support behind him at the Dapper Dan as Austin Desanto. I would also say that it was deserved as he was on an absolutely amazing run.

I don't want to make excuses for Meija, because he is going to be just fine regardless, but I will lay out a couple facts to keep in mind here. First, Austin Desanto is really good. No shame is losing to a guy like that. Second, The Dapper Dan is in the Eastern Time Zone and Meija was coming from the West Coast and with only 1 day to adjust. That is difficult, ask every West Coast NFL Coach and look at documented results of NBA, NFL, and MLB teams for their first game of a road trip traveling in that direction. Can it be overcome? Of course. But does it have an impact on performance and results? ALL the majors sports say definitively, yes. Thirdly, Meija was competing against a guy who competed up at 132 for the majority of the wrestling season and utilized the full (and very generous) weight allowance to make 126. I know Desanto won the State Title at 126, just like Meija, but, Meija competed at 113 and 120 the summer before this season (Meija won the CA Title at 113 lbs in 2016). So, Meija had an up hill climb in some regards. I hate to take away from the incredibly impressive performance by Desanto, because that is what it was an outrageously impressive victory. But, many results from All Star events don't predict who will have more future success. Heck remember when Steiber, Deiringer, and Tessari were all three almost major'd in the Dapper Dan by 3 guys most casual wrestling fans have long forgotten about (Travis Shaffer, Nick Hodkins, and Evan Henderson), some credentials there of course, but c'mon. Heck Jake Herbert, Kellen Russell, and heck even two Kemerers lost in Dapper Dan. Meija is going to be just fine.

This is a much more highly touted version of the Clark/Gilman combo from the class of 2012. Both recruiting classes also got a top 20 p4p recruit and 195 pound State Champ from the State of Illinois to tag along: 2012- Brooks, 2017- Warner. While 2012 turned out pretty good, I'll take the 2017 class.

I feel, although slightly less strongly, the same way about Murin BTW.

That is a LONG list of excuses. Wow.

Also, while Clark got handled in that match..he wasn't embarrassed the way that Desanto embarrassed Mejia IMO.

Mejia also got destroyed by Austin Gomez if I remember correctly?

Maybe he is just a super-stud and his kryptonite is kids named Austin...

That is a LONG list of excuses. Wow.

Also, while Clark got handled in that match..he wasn't embarrassed the way that Desanto embarrassed Mejia IMO.

Mejia also got destroyed by Austin Gomez if I remember correctly?

Maybe he is just a super-stud and his kryptonite is kids named Austin...

You read my comment sat say "That is a LONG list of excuses. Wow." I have to question your reading comprehension.

I know Iowa State isn't an UNESCO city of Literature or anything, but I thought their graduates could still understand some nuance in language. I provided some details for perspective on why taking a loss at an event such as the Dapper Dan may not be an indicator of Meija's true skill level and his potential ceiling as an NCAA wrestler.

Did you watch the Clark/Gulibon match? Did you watch the Gomez/Meija match?

Would you be willing to gamble on the future success of Meija vs Desanto? With the loser only posting on their home team's boards from now on. Meaning you stay on the Iowa State board if you lose and I would do similarly?

Last edited:
You read my comment sat say "That is a LONG list of excuses. Wow." I have to question your reading comprehension.

I know Iowa State isn't an UNESCO city of Literature or anything, but I thought their graduates could still understand some nuance in language. I provided some details for perspective on why taking a loss at an event such as the Dapper Dan may not be an indicator of Meija's true skill level and his potential ceiling as an NCAA wrestler.

Did you watch the Clark/Gulibon match? Did you watch the Gomez/Meija match?

Would you be willing to gamble on the future success of Meija vs Desanto? With the loser only posting on their home team's boards from now on. Meaning you stay on the Iowa State board if you lose and I would do similarly?

can i just suggest that you both go over there now and debate without course? i'm sure no one here would mind...

and then we'll pull JustWrestle133 back into the fold.

Reactions: B1S3K3SC
"I don't want to make excuses for Meija, because he is going to be just fine regardless, but I will lay out a couple facts to keep in mind here. First, Austin Desanto is really good. No shame is losing to a guy like that. Second, The Dapper Dan is in the Eastern Time Zone and Meija was coming from the West Coast and with only 1 day to adjust. That is difficult, ask every West Coast NFL Coach and look at documented results of NBA, NFL, and MLB teams for their first game of a road trip traveling in that direction. Can it be overcome? Of course. But does it have an impact on performance and results? ALL the majors sports say definitively, yes. Thirdly, Meija was competing against a guy who competed up at 132 for the majority of the wrestling season and utilized the full (and very generous) weight allowance to make 126. I know Desanto won the State Title at 126, just like Meija, but, Meija competed at 113 and 120 the summer before this season (Meija won the CA Title at 113 lbs in 2016). So, Meija had an up hill climb in some regards. I hate to take away from the incredibly impressive performance by Desanto, because that is what it was an outrageously impressive victory. But, many results from All Star events don't predict who will have more future success. Heck remember when Steiber, Deiringer, and Tessari were all three almost major'd in the Dapper Dan by 3 guys most casual wrestling fans have long forgotten about (Travis Shaffer, Nick Hodkins, and Evan Henderson), some credentials there of course, but c'mon. Heck Jake Herbert, Kellen Russell, and heck even two Kemerers lost in Dapper Dan. Meija is going to be just fine."

Easy big fella. Where did my reading comprehension fail me? Just because you state "I don't want to make excuses.." before stating a bunch of excuses... doesn't make them not excuses.
:)

In all honestly, I don't know who will have a better career in college because in my opinion I don't think either will have great ones.

If I had to pick, it would be Mejia for two reasons:
1. Iowa's room
2. I think Desanto will end up being one of those kids that is a better HS wrestler than college wrestler. He will most likely end up being known for the guy who beat Spencer Lee in HS than anything he does from here on out.

Didn't Mejia already sign a LOI with Illinois last November? Will this mean he'll lose a year of eligibility coming to Iowa?

Never mind! Just figured out that since there was apparently an application "snafu" he was never admitted to Illinois, so I assume that would void any LOI that he may have signed.

Easy big fella. Where did my reading comprehension fail me? Just because you state "I don't want to make excuses.." before stating a bunch of excuses... doesn't make them not excuses.
:)

In all honestly, I don't know who will have a better career in college because in my opinion I don't think either will have great ones.

If I had to pick, it would be Mejia for two reasons:
1. Iowa's room
2. I think Desanto will end up being one of those kids that is a better HS wrestler than college wrestler. He will most likely end up being known for the guy who beat Spencer Lee in HS than anything he does from here on out.

You wrote I had a "Long list of excuses" for Meija losing. Where? I said Desanto was very good and on a tremendous streak with a ton of momentum behind him. That there was no shame in losing to a guy like that. That isn't excuse. That is the opposite, I'm giving Desanto credit for a tremendous win.

I then went on to explain why I am not worried about this all star match being an indicator of Meija's potential. The Dapper Dan has a history. Some people are very critical of some outcomes from the Dapper Dan, particularly from mid 90's and earlier, for a variety of reasons. I am not as cynical as some people you would have found in the early 1990's at the Dapper Dan results and you don't hear claims that the Dapper Dan serves up some home cooking quite as often as you used to. This had something to do with it though, up until 1992 the all time results were:

Pennsylvania- 12
USA- 4
Tie - 1 (1977, 26-26)

The Preliminary event which features the WPIAL vs a State All Star team was even more lopsided and in the first 25 years, WPIAL had only lost 6 times and if you take away Iowa and Ohio, who had both won twice a piece, the WPIAL had only lost 2 times to other State All Star teams (they did have 3 matches vs other PA districts thrown in during this time, so 22 vs other State All Star teams). I know Pennsylvania is widely considered to be the best High School wrestling State in the country, but these results raised some eyebrows among non PA people, right or wrong.

I don't know how much history you are familiar with, but Iowa studs seemed to have a particular hard time at the Dapper Dan. The all time record for Iowa wrestlers in the main event is now 14-16, which is not too bad. However, prior to 1996, the list of Iowa HS greats that were beaten, some in questionable fashion left a lot of people scratching their heads: 1996 and prior Iowan losses by: Juergens, McGinness, Thompson, Theiler, Schwab, Krieger, Knight, Randall, Barry Davis, Desart, and Dave Fitzgerald. Now, there were some wins during this time of course too, but the losing record as a whole and the high profile nature of the above mentioned guys left people looking for answers. Plus, it clearly did not stop them from having excellent NCAA careers. 1997 to the present has seen Iowa come back and actually had the all time record tied 14-14, until the 2015 matchup when Freddy Stoker and Alex Thomsen both took losses.

Now, what does this have to do with Meija and Desanto? Nothing really, as I think Meija just ran into a buzzsaw in Desanto, who had everything going in his favor. But, I think Meija is still the better recruit and has a much higher ceiling in my opinion. The reality however, it that I was really just bored waiting for a class of 2018 recruit to commit.

You wrote I had a "Long list of excuses" for Meija losing. Where? I said Desanto was very good and on a tremendous streak with a ton of momentum behind him. That there was no shame in losing to a guy like that. That isn't excuse. That is the opposite, I'm giving Desanto credit for a tremendous win.

I then went on to explain why I am not worried about this all star match being an indicator of Meija's potential. The Dapper Dan has a history. Some people are very critical of some outcomes from the Dapper Dan, particularly from mid 90's and earlier, for a variety of reasons. I am not as cynical as some people you would have found in the early 1990's at the Dapper Dan results and you don't hear claims that the Dapper Dan serves up some home cooking quite as often as you used to. This had something to do with it though, up until 1992 the all time results were:

Pennsylvania- 12
USA- 4
Tie - 1 (1977, 26-26)

The Preliminary event which features the WPIAL vs a State All Star team was even more lopsided and in the first 25 years, WPIAL had only lost 6 times and if you take away Iowa and Ohio, who had both won twice a piece, the WPIAL had only lost 2 times to other State All Star teams (they did have 3 matches vs other PA districts thrown in during this time, so 22 vs other State All Star teams). I know Pennsylvania is widely considered to be the best High School wrestling State in the country, but these results raised some eyebrows among non PA people, right or wrong.

I don't know how much history you are familiar with, but Iowa studs seemed to have a particular hard time at the Dapper Dan. The all time record for Iowa wrestlers in the main event is now 14-16, which is not too bad. However, prior to 1996, the list of Iowa HS greats that were beaten, some in questionable fashion left a lot of people scratching their heads: 1996 and prior Iowan losses by: Juergens, McGinness, Thompson, Theiler, Schwab, Krieger, Knight, Randall, Barry Davis, Desart, and Dave Fitzgerald. Now, there were some wins during this time of course too, but the losing record as a whole and the high profile nature of the above mentioned guys left people looking for answers. Plus, it clearly did not stop them from having excellent NCAA careers. 1997 to the present has seen Iowa come back and actually had the all time record tied 14-14, until the 2015 matchup when Freddy Stoker and Alex Thomsen both took losses.

Now, what does this have to do with Meija and Desanto? Nothing really, as I think Meija just ran into a buzzsaw in Desanto, who had everything going in his favor. But, I think Meija is still the better recruit and has a much higher ceiling in my opinion. The reality however, it that I was really just bored waiting for a class of 2018 recruit to commit.

Great info. Thanks for sharing.

I think anyone who has wrestled before should know how insignificant an off season loss can be. I wrestled a match 2 weeks after the state tournament without any training in the meantime and felt completely out of shape and a different wrestler than 2 weeks prior.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT