ADVERTISEMENT

Mejia?

im just hoping the early commits and later de-commits from mejia, jrent, Teasdale, and Troy don't influence the staff to not push for early commits. Some do stick.

Reactions: hawkeyeandy
Unfortunately for Stoll its hard to work at improving and getting better when he is working at recovering. The time missed because of injury really puts a damper on what he could have accomplished when his time is done at Iowa. I feel for the kid and hope he is able to find some success and finish his career strong.

Reactions: Neo_Hawk
Wouldn't be a bad idea to gray shirt like Stickley did and establish residency so the bills would be lower. I don't know why more out of state kids don't do that and wrestle at their respective club.
The stickjo family is smart, especially when it comes to farming and wrestling.

Mejia is a good kid and tough competitor, it's not easy to be a 4x CA state champ. However against top-level talent he hasn't fared as well. Plus, I don't know that he has the size to make it up to 133. at 133 I think he's a 2-3x AA at best (not that there's anything wrong with that). At this point I think it's doubtful that we see him in the Black and Gold, team should focus $$$ on areas of bigger need. We have enough guys close to Mejia to take up the slack at 133 over the next few years. Love the kid, just don't know if it would be a good fit, even with Perry now in house...

hurts me to say it akaoni,but i agree with you.justin wanted to be here,but i think ship has sailed to bad i like the kids who grew up dreaming of being a hawk.

What does anyone think of Montalvo from California coming in for 184 for the Hawks? Not many people talk about him.

Which ones? I think by the time it's done, Wilcke could be an AA, Warner will be a contender, and a healthy Stoll will be an AA.

Already state what I thought earlier in the thread. But here we go again

Stoll, will he be healthy? Odds are against a heavy w 2 knee injuries.

Warner, he will be in the mix to be a high AA from the start

Cash, who knows. He had a good NCAAs at 197. Although the only reason he made it to the dance in the first place was due to another wrestler injury defaulting. As I said before I'm interested to see how he does at 84. One would think he has to be better but did he have quality win vs any top 25 last year? I honestly don't know the answer.

Every time we talk about this guy I think about grocery stores in Michigan.

Redford-Opening-9287.jpg

Reactions: WWDMHawkeye
Think Iowa is back in play? Guessing we have some spare $$ and he'd be a welcome addition at lower weight...
With all due respect, I wasn't impressed with his State Finals match this year. Kid is very solid, but wouldn't be blowing the doors off top 10 competition.

What does anyone think of Montalvo from California coming in for 184 for the Hawks? Not many people talk about him.

You literally just mentioned 2 of my favorite available recruits in the class. I LOVE Silva and I think Montalvo is extremely underrated. I was saying Montalvo was under rated when he was not rated at all. Now he is at least in the top 20 for his weight class (He was #19 on Intermat last month). Silva and him both have sky high ceilings.

Reactions: Herkuleez5
If P$U were interested in mejia, money wouldn't be an issue as all of their recruits come from independently wealthy families who pay $200k for a shot at an ncaa title.
Yep.
Don't you wish it was still Iowa who got all those kids?

Nothing against Mejia but I like our chances with Teske and I think he is the better of the two. Mejia has good defense but I think Teske has a lot more offensive potential

I'm pretty unfamiliar with Teske. Anyone have a good read-up on him for me?

Teske is the best wrestler in his grade coming out of the state of Iowa. He just dominates the state. He beat one of the west twins in a great battle last season. It was one of the few times Teske was challenged. Teske has great shot selection on his feet and turns people at will. I think teske has high ceiling but have seen him working out in Ames. Not sure he wants to go 33 and 25 looks locked up for few years. I also think 25 will be weak weight next year. Who wants to cut down for a year only have to gain weight the following year to earn a spot. If I'm a father of any of the wrestlers at 33 I would tell them battle it out to try and win the stop over the next couple years. Not cut down for season than try gain weight the following offseason and compete at different weight

Teske is the best wrestler in his grade coming out of the state of Iowa. He just dominates the state. He beat one of the west twins in a great battle last season. It was one of the few times Teske was challenged. Teske has great shot selection on his feet and turns people at will. I think teske has high ceiling but have seen him working out in Ames. Not sure he wants to go 33 and 25 looks locked up for few years. I also think 25 will be weak weight next year. Who wants to cut down for a year only have to gain weight the following year to earn a spot. If I'm a father of any of the wrestlers at 33 I would tell them battle it out to try and win the stop over the next couple years. Not cut down for season than try gain weight the following offseason and compete at different weight

Hmm thomsen hammers both wests a handful of time. Teske was losing the majority of the match and came back and won. Besides being a cadet runner up last year teske doesn't have much of a national resume. Thomsen is a numerous time Fargo and s32 medal winner including a cadet runner up finish.

It's possible that Teske is better but from a resume stand point it's not close. We may get to see this match go down this weekend at northern plains.

Reactions: Jaybird319
I would like to see Thomsen become an absolute hammer on top this year and working on his bottom game. Working tilts, bars, and legging constantly. Going for back points and then pins.

He already has a great TD arsenal.

Heard that besides attending the new C-RTC in Ames frequently, Teske was also at the Cyclone Wrestling social in Humboldt a couple days ago.

Reactions: wloohawk2
Heard that besides attending the new C-RTC in Ames frequently, Teske was also at the Cyclone Wrestling social in Humboldt a couple days ago.

Could mean a lot(dresser working on him) or could mean nothing(just a proximity issue). Hard to say at this point. We knew Dresser was going to make in state recruiting more interesting, just maybe not from the very start :(

I think there is a good chance based on what I know and have been told (call it an educated guess), that the following scenario plays out. Teske commits to Iowa State, and this board goes absolutely bonkers. People can't believe that we could lose him to Iowa State...yada yada yada. Iowa then gets their mark, and all the people that were throwing our coaches under the bus start talking about winning championships. Similar to the situation with Kemerer and Stroker. They are targeting more people than just Teske, and let's just wait and see how it turns out. Things change and I could easily be wrong, but that's the way I see things going down.

I think there is a good chance based on what I know and have been told (call it an educated guess), that the following scenario plays out. Teske commits to Iowa State, and this board goes absolutely bonkers. People can't believe that we could lose him to Iowa State...yada yada yada. Iowa then gets their mark, and all the people that were throwing our coaches under the bus start talking about winning championships. Similar to the situation with Kemerer and Stroker. They are targeting more people than just Teske, and let's just wait and see how it turns out. Things change and I could easily be wrong, but that's the way I see things going down.

I won't go bonkers about losing Teske but 133 will be a hole starting this year with no potential finalists in sight. 149 will be a hole unless Nelson can make it still after a redshirt or we get Sasso. In my opinion 184 won't be what we need to get back on top starting this year and our future 184 isn't going to get it done either. We have a LONG way to go. Silva would take 133 off this list and Sasso would take 149 off. Those 2 would be huge gets for us.

I won't go bonkers about losing Teske but 133 will be a hole starting this year with no potential finalists in sight. 149 will be a hole unless Nelson can make it still after a redshirt or we get Sasso. In my opinion 184 won't be what we need to get back on top starting this year and our future 184 isn't going to get it done either. We have a LONG way to go. Silva would take 133 off this list and Sasso would take 149 off. Those 2 would be huge gets for us.
I agree that we definitely have holes to fill, and need to land some kids

That's because Dresser wants him obviously, and it's about 10 minutes north of fort dump.

Only rumors, but I've heard he is very much interested in being a hawk.

I'm guessing with Ames only being an hour away has more to do with it than anything.

Hmm thomsen hammers both wests a handful of time. Teske was losing the majority of the match and came back and won. Besides being a cadet runner up last year teske doesn't have much of a national resume. Thomsen is a numerous time Fargo and s32 medal winner including a cadet runner up finish.

It's possible that Teske is better but from a resume stand point it's not close. We may get to see this match go down this weekend at northern plains.

They didn't wrestle folkstyle there that I'm aware of.

That said, I put them on the same level. Really good or even excellent recruits. At least one step back from elite.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT