ADVERTISEMENT

Mejia?

Hawkeye4Life78

HR All-American
Jan 11, 2004
Think Iowa is back in play? Guessing we have some spare $$ and he'd be a welcome addition at lower weight...

That unwriiten rule about releases with coaching changes usually applies to head coaching changes as assistants are shuffled all the time. Without a release not only would he have to give up his 1st year of eligibility to compete, he would also be ineligible for athletic aid for a year.

Possible but I don't see it happening. If you think he didn't come to the Hawks because of money and/or being recruited over then that $25k bill for his 1st year and having the same coaches/philosophy in place that recruited over him in the 1st place may present a problem.

Reactions: dicemen99
That unwriiten rule about releases with coaching changes usually applies to head coaching changes as assistants are shuffled all the time. Without a release not only would he have to give up his 1st year of eligibility to compete, he would also be ineligible for athletic aid for a year.

Possible but I don't see it happening. If you think he didn't come to the Hawks because of money and/or being recruited over then that $25k bill for his 1st year and having the same coaches/philosophy in place that recruited over him in the 1st place may present a problem.
If P$U were interested in mejia, money wouldn't be an issue as all of their recruits come from independently wealthy families who pay $200k for a shot at an ncaa title.

Or couldn't he reclassify for 2018 as his freshman year and just spend a year at HWC lifting, training, and wrestling with Delgado, Clark, Gilman, etc? I saw that option over on the mat forums

Reactions: Huck

Wouldn't be a bad idea to gray shirt like Stickley did and establish residency so the bills would be lower. I don't know why more out of state kids don't do that and wrestle at their respective club.

Wouldn't be a bad idea to gray shirt like Stickley did and establish residency so the bills would be lower. I don't know why more out of state kids don't do that and wrestle at their respective club.
When his dad was on this board I got the impression $ was a big factor. Not sure if in state tuition would be enough. Just speculating though.

When his dad was on this board I got the impression $ was a big factor. Not sure if in state tuition would be enough. Just speculating though.

I'm sure it was but it would still be cheaper than out of state. He is going to have to pay money, even at Illinois because they have enough talent on the roster. Purdue, MSU, or Indiana? Maybe not.

Indeed...; ). Seriously though, unless he's willing to come for nothing for a couple years I doubt it's in the cards. Keep in mind he still has to qualify for D1... The staff is trying to fry some bigger fish.

Anything is possible though, obviously.
Here's to a successful fish fry! Maybe the HWC could raffle tickets and raise another $100k for a place around the fire.

There are still living expenses/housing for that year that make it not as easy as it sounds.

I don't know the NCAA rules but I wonder if a kid could have any living expenses/housing covered by clubs while gray shirting.

Reactions: Huck and el dub
There are still living expenses/housing for that year that make it not as easy as it sounds.

I don't know the NCAA rules but I wonder if a kid could have any living expenses/housing covered by clubs while gray shirting.
To be honest not 100% sure either, however, my thought would be he just gets a "well" paying job which covers his expenses. I don't think he could receive compensation from a club but then who knows it might be happening at other clubs. Sure the NCAA rules and regs address it, just to lazy to go and search.

Meh... I'd stay away Mejia and focus on upper weights

We have 3 more years with Wilcke, 5 more with Warner, and Stoll/Costello (and hopefully Schultz soon). I like our upper weights for the first time in a while. I'm worried about 125-149 for the first time in a while.

Reactions: DirkTang1
We have 3 more years with Wilcke, 5 more with Warner, and Stoll/Costello (and hopefully Schultz soon). I like our upper weights for the first time in a while. I'm worried about 125-149 for the first time in a while.
I don't think we've got anything to worry about at 125. I'm also pretty high on Murin, and think some here will be very pleasantly surprised with the production we get out of Murin. I think Murin will be the guy at 141. Sasso could potentially sure up 149 for us. Leaving 133 the only real questionable weight looking ahead into the future (assuming we land Sasso).

Reactions: Chopper25

No holding my breath w Stoll, percentages r against his recovering to 100%

Costello will serviceable, better then what we had this year. His frame and his style will hinder him in college

Wilcke, I'm interested to see how he does at 84.

Currently, Warner is the only upper I see having the potential of being a high AA immediately. There's a lot holes yet to be filled and finalize before I stop recruiting those weights

There's 5-6 guys that will be fighting for 25&33 in the next 1-2 years. That's without Teske in the mix

Reactions: dicemen99
There's 5-6 guys that will be fighting for 25&33 in the next 1-2 years. That's without Teske in the mix

It's one thing to "fight" but another thing to be a high AA level D-1 wrestler. Outside of Lee, there's not a lot there at the moment.

Reactions: el dub
Indeed...; ). Seriously though, unless he's willing to come for nothing for a couple years I doubt it's in the cards. Keep in mind he still has to qualify for D1... The staff is trying to fry some bigger fish.

Anything is possible though, obviously.
Hopefully soon on the fish. I'm starving for recruiting news. 2018 class is looking very thin at the moment.

It's one thing to "fight" but another thing to be a high AA level D-1 wrestler. Outside of Lee, there's not a lot there at the moment.

We already know Spencer will be a top 4 guy. The others are unproven, so there's a little room for skepticism atm. In Brands we trust ;)

Its just that I see much, much larger gaps/holes in the uppers weights

We already know Spencer will be a top 4 guy. The others are unproven, so there's a little room for skepticism atm. In Brands we trust ;)

Its just that I see much, much larger gaps/holes in the uppers weights

Which ones? I think by the time it's done, Wilcke could be an AA, Warner will be a contender, and a healthy Stoll will be an AA.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT