ADVERTISEMENT

Michigan State Play by Play

I don’t think it was a concern, rather the really only interesting match up?

Welp I guess I'm wrong on that one. I missed the action but sounds like Abe was the aggressor but didn't convert. Hopefully that will change going forward and he'll get back on track.

I liked what we saw from Assad today. He had a tough time finishing, but kept at it for seven minutes. His guy stalled his way to a win. Abe should learn from that match going forward.

Agree. Abe kept attacking and wasn't afraid. You learn from your losses. He'll get it. If he goes 2-2 at nationals, so be it. The team is making a long term investment right now.

Interesting that Abe got hit for stalling, really felt he instigated all the action, just couldn't finish. Caffey looked like a giant 84 pounder. If he learns how to start finishing shots Abe will be just fine. I see a few pissing and moaning about the shirt coming off now that he has a few losses. I for one took relief knowing even when he got down early he was going to take 6 more shots, this couldn't be said a month ago. Overall I'd say it was the team performance you'd expect 48 hours after wrestling PSU

Interesting that Abe got hit for stalling, really felt he instigated all the action, just couldn't finish. Caffey looked like a giant 84 pounder. If he learns how to start finishing shots Abe will be just fine. I see a few pissing and moaning about the shirt coming off now that he has a few losses. I for one took relief knowing even when he got down early he was going to take 6 more shots, this couldn't be said a month ago. Overall I'd say it was the team performance you'd expect 48 hours after wrestling PSU

Did Abe get hit? I know Caffey did in the 3rd . . .

Reactions: el dub
Hate to say it but this is my thought as well. I think Wilcke would have beat Brooks. But it's still early and the coaches are the ones in the room everyday so it's hard to not trust the decision.
Can you ever just stick to your story? Assad is fine! You mentioned when he came out that he was the best option! I will find it give me a second.

Results:
125 -- #1 Spencer Lee (IA) pinned Logan Griffin (MSU), 2:21; 6-0
133 -- Paul Glynn (IA) dec. Garrett Pepple (MSU), 9-4; 9-0
141 -- Carter Happel (IA) dec. Matt Santos (MSU), 4-1; 12-0
149 -- #3 Pat Lugo (IA) dec. Alex Hrisopoulos (MSU), 8-3; 15-0
157 -- #5 Kaleb Young (IA) dec. #15 Jake Tucker (MSU), 6-2; 18-0
165 -- #2 Alex Marinelli (IA) dec. Austin Hiles (MSU), 9-5; 21-0
174 -- #2 Michael Kemerer (IA) major dec. #23 Layne Malczewski (MSU), 13-3; 25-0
184 -- #15 Cam Caffey (MSU) dec. #6 Abe Assad (IA), 3-2; 25-3
197 -- #7 Jacob Warner (IA) dec. Nick May (MSU), 5-2; 28-3
285 -- #3 Tony Cassioppi (IA) major dec. Christian Rebottaro (MSU), 9-0; 32-3
Records: Iowa (10-0, 7-0), Michigan State (6-8, 1-6)
Attendance: 1,567

Reactions: anon_hc7hkvtk15hp5
IOWA CITY, Iowa -- The top-ranked University of Iowa wrestling team defeated Michigan State, 32-3, on Sunday at the Jenison Field House.

Iowa improves to 10-0 overall and 7-0 in the conference.

The Hawkeyes won nine-of-10 bouts, including three bonus-point victories, and held a 19-3 advantage in takedowns.

Iowa started its day with a Groundhog's Day performance, getting yet another bonus-point win from Spencer Lee. The nation's top-ranked 125-pounder led 10-0 before earning the fall in two minutes, 21 seconds. Lee is now 12-0 with 12 bonus-point victories, and has outscored his last seven opponents 110-2.

The Hawkeyes followed with four straight decisions to build an 18-0 decision at the break. Paul Glynn scored nine points in the third period to erase a 3-0 deficit and win 9-4 at 133. Carter Happel won by 4-1 decision at 141. Pat Lugo scored three takedowns in an 8-3 win at 149, and Kaleb Young used two takedowns and a riding time point to win 6-2 at 157.

Jeremiah Moody made his first appearance of the season and earned his first career Big Ten win, a 9-5 decision at 165. Michael Kemerer used three takedowns, one reversal, and four nearfall points to earn a 13-3 major decision at 174.

Michigan State got on the board at 184. Abe Assad was the aggressor for most of seven minutes, but the lone takedown of the match belonged to Michigan State and Assad was dealt a 3-2 loss.

Jacob Warner responded with a pair of first-period takedowns and a 5-2 win at 197, and Tony Cassioppi improved to 15-0 with his second shutout of the weekend, this one a 9-0 major decision.

UP NEXT
Iowa wrestles at Michigan on Saturday, Feb. 8 at 7 p.m. (CT). The dual is streamed at BTN Plus and FloWrestling.com.

NOTABLES
  • Iowa wrestlers have a combined record of 59-11 in Big Ten duals, and 78-12 in overall duals this season.
  • Spencer Lee (20-0) and Tony Cassioppi (6-0) are undefeated in their careers in Big Ten duals.
  • Spencer Lee improved to 12-0 with 12 bonus-point wins. Before today, he had won his last six matches by technical fall, outscoring his opponents 100-2. He led 10-0 today before recording the fall.
  • Paul Glynn won for the second time in as many dual appearances this season. He has won three straight Big Ten duals and evened his Big Ten career dual record at 5-5.
    Jeremiah Moody won his first career Big Ten dual in his first appearance of the season.
  • Michael Kemerer improved to 10-0. It is the third time in his career he opened the season with at least 10 straight wins. Kemerer has won 30 straight duals.

The whole production sucked, scoring, clock, camera angles, the chick commentator.
Brought to you by Catdog & Lube Productions.

I didn’t like the raised mat. And they could have held the dual in a bowling alley rather than track and field stadium.

Reactions: Gusaford
Not sure what Abe does at Bigs or NCAA, but think he will have a couple breaks go his way if he keeps at it. He keeps wrestling.

It will pay way more dividends next year for us.

And no.............neither of our other 184 is better than him right now.

Can you ever just stick to your story? Assad is fine! You mentioned when he came out that he was the best option! I will find it give me a second.

Huh? You must have the wrong guy. I have no idea who the best option is and haven't claimed he is the better option over Cash. I trust the coaches though, so if they are seeing stuff inside the practice room to indicate he has won the spot over Cash then so be it. I still think he's got a good shot to AA. The issue is that he has taken some losses this year indicating he isn't a guaranteed AA. And Cash's floor is probably round of 12. So if we burned his shirt just to get a round of 12 finish, then that seems like a waste, but as pointed out by others, wrestling this year will also make him better for next year.

Not sure why you took issue with my response and threw in the comment about "sticking to your story". I haven't changed my story on Assad, and haven't taken a strong stance either way. I'm guessing you've mixed me up with someone else.

I concede to the coaching staff on the lineup. They are the ones in the practice room every day, and they made the right call with Spencer Lee coming out of redshirt.

Either way, whoever we send out at 184 still has a lot of work to put in before nationals. I'm optimistic though.

Reactions: TarpHawk
Not sure what Abe does at Bigs or NCAA, but think he will have a couple breaks go his way if he keeps at it. He keeps wrestling.

It will pay way more dividends next year for us.

And no.............neither of our other 184 is better than him right now.
He's still a month and a half from Nationals. They will work on his game. I wanted the shirt to stay on, but now that it's off, I'm so excited for this kids potential.

He's still a month and a half from Nationals. They will work on his game. I wanted the shirt to stay on, but now that it's off, I'm so excited for this kids potential.

And by all accounts, he didn't whisper anything inappropriate into Caffey's ear today.

Reactions: NeedMoreIronside
Totally agree - fair weather fans calling for shirt to come back on
I’m still extremely confident Abe is in semis on Friday night. But I’m sure you all will sleep just fine whether you know my opinion or not

Yeah the same Wilke that cost the shutout against Wisky? I like cash he is a great asset and teammate but this is just nonsense

It’s better to lose to Venz than Janzer imo. Plus do you think Cael’s guy won’t get the tiebreaker?

There are still a few duals left so things can change, Brooks still has sebastian, Jordan and Webster. Abe has Embree and Webster. Caffey has Sebastian.

I’m still extremely confident Abe is in semis on Friday night. But I’m sure you all will sleep just fine whether you know my opinion or not

Assad has 5 losses on the year. 4 of them being to guys ranked 10th or lower at the time of the match. Still time to grow, but he hasn't shown the consistency necessary yet to be a high AA at nationals.

I believe the coaches have made the determination to pull the shirt based on practice room performance and he clearly must be winning the head to head vs Cash in the room.

Assad has 5 losses on the year. 4 of them being to guys ranked 10th or lower at the time of the match. Still time to grow, but he hasn't shown the consistency necessary yet to be a high AA at nationals.

I believe the coaches have made the determination to pull the shirt based on practice room performance and he clearly must be winning the head to head vs Cash in the room.
Yeah and Mark Branch had a losing record going into the NCAAs his freshman year. What’s your point?

Wow, this is a forum for opinions. no right or wrong statements, just what you think. That's what makes it so much fun to read different views and ideas and insight. I too think it was a mistake for Abe to come out. He will not get more points than what Wilcke could have got {just my opinion}. Hope he proves me wrong! Just think how good he would be coming out next then another three. Most wrestlers need that redshirt year. To Illinois-hawk1 no I've never wrestled, just a fan since 1975. Go ahead and use some profanity to express your opinion.

I didn't agree with pulling the shirt, but once it was pulled I was all in and still am. I doubt Stall or Vodka are seriously suggesting benching him, just expressing frustration that he lost his second straight to guys he'll need to beat to AA. I'm still all in on Assad because he's part of the new breed of Iowa wrestlers, and the new breed is more entertaining than the old breed. If he doesn't AA this year I'm still all in.

There are going to be a few ups and downs along the way with Abe, all but the most elite are going to need some adjusting along the way. Caffey and Brooks are both good wrestlers. The key is for Abe to learn, build and remain confident he can beat anyone. At this stage matches are going to be close so just need to work on being on the right end of the final score.

Reactions: Kwoodhawk
I liked what we saw from Assad today. He had a tough time finishing, but kept at it for seven minutes. His guy stalled his way to a win. Abe should learn from that match going forward.
I like his aggressiveness for sure - just think with kem being right below him - we really need to get him finishing faster instead of getting tied up. Lujan and caffey no slouches though. Gotta win those next month.

Wilcke definitely not beating brooks. He likely would have wrestled a very solid close loss.

I didn't agree with pulling the shirt, but once it was pulled I was all in and still am. I doubt Stall or Vodka are seriously suggesting benching him, just expressing frustration that he lost his second straight to guys he'll need to beat to AA. I'm still all in on Assad because he's part of the new breed of Iowa wrestlers, and the new breed is more entertaining than the old breed. If he doesn't AA this year I'm still all in.

Yup...we would have been waiting for a shot in the last 30 seconds instead of being in on multiple shots with chances to score against MSU. I like the pulling of the shirt because if all things being equal, he has a baseline going into next year where he might have a legit shot to be a contender. We would be starting at square one with him in November. He has the mindset, just needs more physicality and technique.

If Brooks wrestles like he did on Friday, he will be in the semis at NCAAs. Assad’s match today kind of reminded me of Marinelli/Lewis at NCAAs last season... tons of good shots, just couldn’t finish. Assad will improve. Going through a rough patch but still losing to quality guys who I think can make some noise in March.

Yeah and Mark Branch had a losing record going into the NCAAs his freshman year. What’s your point?

One data point. What's your point? I'm not trying to die on this hill. I think my posts are pretty neutral regarding Cash and Assad and I've said I trust the coaches' choice having seen what's going on in the room everyday.

Not sure why this is triggering some so hard.

Last edited:
Today against Caffey, Assad looked the part of the wrestler with better potential to me. Friday against Brooks he seemed to get caught in some moves where he knew while they were happening he just needed to know the appropriate counter but didn’t have the knowledge or muscle memory yet. He was losing to Grand View earlier this year - rapid progression. I would take our guy. Another year in the room would do wonders but go time is now. All hands on deck. This kid will be ready in March. He has the ‘it’ factor.

Reactions: Hunter78
Yup...we would have been waiting for a shot in the last 30 seconds instead of being in on multiple shots with chances to score against MSU. I like the pulling of the shirt because if all things being equal, he has a baseline going into next year where he might have a legit shot to be a contender. We would be starting at square one with him in November. He has the mindset, just needs more physicality and technique.

I agree as well. I was at the MSU match and it's pretty obvious how that match would have gone with Wilcke. We would have been waiting for a shot, for the right opportunity, and watched time expire. With Assad, he was firing and making things happen. Caffey is really, really good with his defense/scrambling. He (Caffey) didn't seem to have the best offense, but his defense was great, (could be called counter-offense by some). With a few adjustments Assad takes that match. They were razor thin in a few positions.

I don't like to pile on, but with Wilcke, we'd be at a spot where we were saying "he'd win that match if he just took a shot." With Assad, we're all saying "he just needs to finish."

I'd rather be in a place where I "just need to finish" than where I "need to attack sometimes."

PM

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT