ADVERTISEMENT

Miller and Condon confirm it's Petras at QB on Saturday

It is a sad fact that Petras has only thrown one TD pass in the past 8 games. I was a big proponent after the Maryland game last year. The current situation leaves me with a loss for words. Count me among the fans who will have a hard time watching this pathetic offense for a whole game. Padilla or Labas may not be able to do much better, but how will we ever know if they don't see the field?

Like everyone, I am disappointed in this. What happens in the game will determine if disappointment turns to outright apathy.

IF (big if) SP plays Q1, AP plays Q2 & Q3 and Joey gets some action in Q4, I'll step back from a ledge a little,

Reactions: HawkeyeinOmaha
This is comical and I am reaching Lickliter levels of apathy. Not even a year ago Iowa used a combination of unsustainable circumstances to reach #2 in the country. Now the offense has nose dived to the bottom of college football with no end in sight. The defense is great, but the pressure to hold opponents down and possibly score themselves will become too much of a weight to bear.

So the Petras as starter decision is being made on the basis of his "body of work"? What about his recent body of work? Nothing is working. The offense is broken. Of course the OL needs experience. The injured need more time to heal. But the only offensive change that can be made immediately is to give Padilla an opportunity, and see what happens. If it doesn't bring improvement, Petras can be put back in.

Reactions: anon_b29nm7v7dwp6r
Petras will start because if Padilla goes in and lights up a bad Nevada defense, they cant go back to Petras and will look like dumbasses for not giving Padilla a shot the first 2 games. The stubbornness and arrogance knows no bounds.
Yep. Kirk has always positioned things to his benefit and why I believe he always takes the approach of little old Iowa can barely compete because of the disadvantage in level of players. The brilliant coaching is the only way they can win.

Reactions: mikesright
This is comical and I am reaching Lickliter levels of apathy. Not even a year ago Iowa used a combination of unsustainable circumstances to reach #2 in the country. Now the offense has nose dived to the bottom of college football with no end in sight. The defense is great, but the pressure to hold opponents down and possibly score themselves will become too much of a weight to bear.
Yep. Apathy is a killer.

If I was May, Labas and Padilla I would walk in to Kirks Office and put the gear on the Table and tell Him I was transferring , none will lose any eligibility as they havnt played . Leave the Team with 1 Scholarship QB .
All but May would lose eligibility since they used a redshirt already.

Reactions: kceasthawk
Props to the media for asking some good needed questions regarding Petras, especially the person who rattled off a long list of stats. Next, it would be nice to see the same line of questioning regarding the OC. Line by line, stat by stat, ranking by ranking.

Reactions: ClarindaA's
It is truly sad - startlingly sad- what this is going to do the fan base. it almost forces most people to wish Spencer to do poorly.

it’s the worst possible outcome if he starts and Iowa wins - even if they cover what looks like an impossible spread.
This is an excellent point. Even though I thought it was best that the team move on to AP or JL for QB1 before the season started, I was at least fully supporting SP and hoped that he would outperform expectations. However, at this point I agree with you - the very best thing for this program is for him to be just as awful on Saturday as he was the first 2 games. Maybe, just maybe, then KF will realize that it's time to turn the page on him. If he plays decent and Iowa has a solid win, that will solidify SP as QB1 for the remainder of the season, and he will take every single snap barring injury - in which case I see 4-8 as an absolute best case scenario for the season, with a distinct possibility that Iowa could go 0-9 in the B1G.

Reactions: DrVenkman
With Padilla as the starter Iowa scored 33 VS Illinois and 27 VS a 9 win Minnesota team and was 3-0. I'm guessing the defense contributed like usual but that's pretty damn good, Kirk seems to have forgotten those games happened
Alex was 6 - 17 for 83 yards and 1 pick against Illinois.

11-24 (less than 50%) for just over 200 yards and 2 TDs against Minnesota.

Last game against Nebraska --- 6-14 for 76 yards before being benched.

Padilla is a 2, If You are going to make a change You put Labas out there against a bad defense and get Him Game reps, That is the best way to proceed .

And oddly enough, it was the only time in the last 340 some odd days (or 11 games) that Iowa held a two score lead.

I guess moving the ball and scoring points even with FGs can lead to wins.

Edit: I stand corrected. Padilla also jumpstarted Iowa to a 14-0 lead vs Northwestern too.

Padilla is a 2, If You are going to make a change You put Labas out there against a bad defense and get Him Game reps, That is the best way to proceed .
And Alex probably leaves, but this is the way to go in my view. I have heard from a source and they are reliable that Labas is the most mobile QB they got and it shows in practice. How he throws I don't know, but if you wanted the most mobile QB we got, it is Labas.

Reactions: ClarindaA's
Can we all agree that BF needs to stop calling (or Petras needs to stop throwing) the 10 yard OUT pass that travels 30 yards in the air, over the head of the receiver and is either tipped or skips off the WRs hands? How many times do we need to be subjected to that ridiculous pass route and lack of execution? I cringe as soon as SP pivots and starts to launch that ball, it's either a pick 6, a tipped ball or our WR is going to get lit up. Stop calling that play!
Apparently Iowa runs a complicated system.

Maybe it's a coded play and the receiver is automatically supposed to run 10 yards past where the pass is scripted?

Pretty sure our receivers had a bunch of drops in at least one of those games. I think Illinois

Padilla also had twice as many passes dropped by receivers, is more mobile, can extend plays, and made a couple of improvised plays last season that Petras has yet to make ever. It's not all about stats, noting that Alex was 10/15 against Michigan in the B10 Champ game

Neither is great. But Padilla is the better choice since a) he's more mobile, b) he doesn't appear to be "broken" like Petras certainly does. And he did lead the team to their best quality win of 2021 against the Gophers

Finally, could he do any WORSE than the lowest rated QB in a Power Five conference?

Your not wrong personally Padilla doesn't seem to want to rock the boat and is fine just getting a degree which is cool. If we are going to have to restart the system might as well start with a fresh guy

The problem is Petras has demonstrated he can’t consistently complete any pass.
when are fans going to wake up ... it doesn't matter who the QB is ... Iowa's offensive coaches SUCK.

It doesn't matter who's playing. THe best a Brian F team has done is be 88th in the country. Brian is a terrible coach. Until he's gone, expect more of the same ... no matter who's QB

1 Touchdown pass in 9 games and Kirk does nothing, run the same old boring non attacking offense with a statue of a qb who will sail passes into the first 10 row's. Way to give your fan base hope that this season can be some what saved.

when are fans going to wake up ... it doesn't matter who the QB is ... Iowa's offensive coaches SUCK.

It doesn't matter who's playing. THe best a Brian F team has done is be 88th in the country. Brian is a terrible coach. Until he's gone, expect more of the same ... no matter who's QB
It's Kirk, he's behind this shit show. You saw his arrogant, double speak nonsense. The guy has lost it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT