ADVERTISEMENT

Miller and Condon stoking rumors on Fran leaving after the season

Apparently Matt Norlander has info that a coach heading to the tournament will be moving after the season. Notre Dame is open. On the surface it makes sense. I'd be shocked though but it's plausible and this would be his last chance to possibly go somewhere else.
That’s quite the prediction. It has only happened every single year for that last 40 years.

No offense to you Chis. Just making fun of the prediction by Norlander.

I know a lot of people would like to see DeVries if this was true but who else would be a good candidate? Odom at Utah St?

Reactions: Chishawk1425
Notre Dame hasn't been available for quite some time. Bit more to it than that. He wouldn't go anywhere else.
I think the point being made is the comment from Matt is vague. Pretty much any mid major to make a run in the tournament is at rusk of losing their coach. Happens every single year.

Unless of course he specifically referenced the B10.

I hope so. I think he stays and not sure why ND would offer him at 63, 53 I think it could easily happen. Not too worried about it just food for thought on some talk.
Yeah I agree. I have no doubt that Notre Dame would be the 1 job that Fran would leave for. I have a lot of doubt that Notre Dame is willing to hire him at this age. There's a lot of Iowa fans that don't like his sideline outbursts, but most people still love him. I'm not sure that would be the same with Notre Dame fans. I think that hire would not go over well in that fanbase.

I think that job ends up going to an up and comer like Dusty May (FAU) or the former player who's an NBA assistant. Could see DeVries being a candidate as well.

I think the point being made is the comment from Matt is vague. Pretty much any mid major to make a run in the tournament is at rusk of losing their coach. Happens every single year.

Unless of course he specifically referenced the B10.
Norlander stated that it was a high major coach who's currently coaching a team that's a lock for the NCAA tournament. That narrows it down to about 30ish teams.

Chris Quinn is Spoelstra's top assistant and has been for a while now. I bet Notre Dame would look at him.

How long before Gatens gets any consideration? I can't imagine Fran will coach more than 5-10 more years.

Reactions: F5n5
Norlander stated that it was a high major coach who's currently coaching a team that's a lock for the NCAA tournament. That narrows it down to about 30ish teams.
So the list would be:
Nate Oats
Matt Painter
Bill Self
Mick Cronin
Scott Drew
Texas Interim (can't remember his name)
Tommy Loyd
Jerome Teng
Shaka Smart
Rick Barnes
Dan Hurley
Sean Miller
Mike Woodson
Tony Bennett
Jim Larranaga
Jamie Dixon
Greg McDermott
TJ Otzleberger
Chris Collins
John Calipari
Kevin Willard
Jon Scheyer
Buzz Williams
Tom Izzo
Fran McCaffery
Brad Underwood
Eric Musselman
Dennis Gates
Ed Cooley

I think you can reasonably cross about half these names off the list of possibilities as well as to who Norlander might be referring to.

Says Cmac liking tweets on the rumors, Jobo on a podcast saying he thinks he's going. Gottlieb threw it out there too I guess and he played at ND and loves Fran....Hmmmmm

Tang at KSU, I am guessing Texas will throw big bucks at him and he coached High School ball in Texas before joining Baylor staff.

If we make a run into atleast the sweet 16, id be fine with it. Feel bad for those Moline dudes though.

Looks like some on this board might just get their wish. Would be unfortunate, I think. Could also cause a distraction for rest of the season. Great timing.

Reactions: Mohawkeye
This would be great news but 3 years too late. Just think what a coach not hamstrung with Conner could have done in the tournament with Garza, Weezy, Murray, Murray plus whoever had Conners scholarship. This would be great for Iowa even if it took too long.
This seems like kind of a silly take. Didn't Fran bring these guys in? Also, regardless of what you think about Connor, Fran has pretty much always had available scholarships, including this year so it's not like he prevented some star from coming to Iowa. Now if you want to argue that he's consumed too many minutes at times that's a different discussion.

This seems like kind of a silly take. Didn't Fran bring these guys in? Also, regardless of what you think about Connor, Fran has pretty much always had available scholarships, including this year so it's not like he prevented some star from coming to Iowa. Now if you want to argue that he's consumed too many minutes at times that's a different discussion.
Silly is too kind.

Hoythawk = basketball illiterate

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT