ADVERTISEMENT

Minny Grades

UndercoverHawk

HR All-American
Dec 16, 2015
149- A+ was aggressive and putting up points. You could tell he was looking for the fall at the start of the match. He should pin guys like this.
157- A good major. Got a little sloppy at the end but finished a lot better than the last couple. I’m gonna guess the knee issue bothered his conditioning earlier.
165- A he was easily the best wrestler in this match. It should have been a bigger spread than 5-1 but I don’t put that on him for lack of trying.
174- A need to see more of that Gunther. He was attacking with the lead. He used to be content with a 3-1 lead and proceed to stall. Looks like the pine pony loosened him up.
184- F Bowman had an IQ in the single digits in that match. Worst match awareness we’ve seen all year.
197- D+ Wilcke is looking like the same guy as last year. Regression to the mean.
285- A+ Stoll looked great! Dude was done by the 3rd. Good major.
125- A+ who is good on top? 3:30 of riding time for Lee and he was underneath Lizak. Lee is an animal
133- B Glynn was in this match and I think he could beat him. He needs to learn to/get stronger to finish. I’ve been saying that all year. He can get to that shot on anyone, and he did it 4 times against McKee but only finished once.
141- A way to go! Some people on the team need to take some notes. That’s how you attack and keep attacking when you need a score at the end. Fall was gravy!

So,

Gunther or Young at big tens?

Happel or Turk

Laux or Glynn

I think we see Gunther, Happel, Glynn

Reactions: Neo_Hawk
Has to be Happel. That's the best win we've had at 133 or 141 this season.

I like glynn. He was aggressive tonight and got deep a few times. Shows there is something to work with there.

Not sure yet about gunther or young.

Reactions: Dagboi and roeisele
If Brando, Sammy and Spencer get A+, then Happel should too.
That’s the first time this season I can recall a Hawks wrestler going big for the win at the end of the match.
Not just that but he adapted to the tie that Thorn kept trying to slow him down with. He turned Thorn’s tie into offense. Not just a repeated straight on double leg from space.

Young - bigger threat to score

Happel - basically based on the heart/effort displayed tonight (plus he's a home grown boy)

Glynn - competition is a 5th yr sr, shouldn't be this close. Let the young'n go, for future considersations if nothing else

I agree, fans prefer Young. My prediction is based on the coaches putting Gunther back out there.

Unrelated, Micic majored Renteria.

I agree with a lot of what Undercover said...

149: A+ great career, but he's been fun to watch this year!
157: A always gets a little sloppy but great to not see the 3rd period fade
165: A never stopped attacking, finishes a couple more and that's an easy major
174: B looked better but that should have pushed for the major
184/197: F these two were either trained through or sick. Better be some good excuse anyways. You get handed the weight for the rest of the year and you lay a turd.
HWT: B+ looked good, just being greedy with not getting the pin or at least backs
125: A+ 15-0 and got out from bottom
133: B- Needs to learn how to get out from bottom, but in fairness that is a junior world team member. good effort
141: A heck yeah top ten win! Looked decent on feet, but needs bottom work

Can we please teach bottom against legs?

If Brando, Sammy and Spencer get A+, then Happel should too.
Brandon, Sammy and Spencer dominated from start to finish. Happel struggled in the second and came back strong. In my mind, his third period gets an A+, but he gets an A- due to that second period. Gotta be able to get away to get a perfect grade.

I just give the entire Hawkeye Team an A

3454920202_6888a46b27_n.jpg

125: A+. I weigh 240 pounds and don't want any part of Lee. That kid is a fricking beast!! Total domination tonight!!!
133: B. Glynn gave a great effort against a ranked opponent.
141: A: Happel was in the match the entire time against an AA, which was great to see. I think the fall was the Tommy's way of saying, "F it, you win." Hope we see Happel the rest of the year, and with it that tenacity he showed tonight.
149: A. Love watching him this year; he's on a mission.
157: A. Look at the scores Jake Short has posted this year. His worst - and only bonus loss prior to tonight against Kem - was a MD against Nolf.
165: A+. Marinelli was the only guy in this match who did anything...pushed the action the entire time. I think he'll be a good match up for Vincenzo Joseph and/or IMAR. Can't wait to see him in the B10s.
174: C. Boring. I think Gunther has really potential if he starts taking more shots. He and Cash seem to be wrestling a lot alike..."wait for the action to come to me and hope I win." Again, think Gunther has good potential if he works harder at scoring.
184: F. He just looked horrible. Think he just took his guy for granted and got his ass handed to him as a result of his mental prep, or lack thereof.
197: D-. Wilcke wasn't wrestling Weigel, Moore or Beazley tonight so there's no excuse for quitting after the first 4 minutes. After watching him, I regretfully am back to my initial belief...I think he gets one win in the championship bracket and maybe two or three in the consolation bracket at the NCAAs and provides us very little help in the big picture. Definitely not a podium guy, not like he wrestled these last two matches. Not sure what's going on in that brain housing group of his, but he's shutting down way too early in these matches...his offense is for shit in the 3rd period as of late (or has it been like that all year and we're just now noticing it because he's losing (and that effort tonight was as good as a loss). Hope he pulls it together!!
285: A-. Love watching Stoll. That said, I want to see him either DQ, TF or pin anyone outside the top 20 or so. And clearly Streifel's no pushover (Coon didn't major him), but I think Sammy will beat Coon later, and we need his bonus points (from pins and TFs).

Just my observation but Kemerer looked like he might have been under the weather. Short is a tough out which makes it all the better.

Bull gets a B. Needs to get better at finishing.
Cash gets a D. He wrestled down to his competition.
Bowman - F
Glynn gets a D. Can't finish shots and gets ridden like a pony

I would like to see Young Sunday. He lost the last 2 against a couple hammers. I think he would have beat Pfarr even worse than Gunther did.

Agree. Maybe I haven't paid close enough attention, but I don't think I've seen Young wrestle poorly this season. He's been outmatched in some losses, but he has always wrestled solid. I'm not sure we have anybody else from 174 to 197 that we can say that about.

Reactions: AFHawk86
Cash Cash Cash, not sure what to say. I guess I'll cut him some slack as Brands said he ran off to the bathroom after the match.

If he would have defecated in the middle of the match, I would cut him some slack, but this match was a carryover from last match...no sense of urgency and no anything in the 3rd period...

Reactions: UndercoverHawk
Bull gets a B. Needs to get better at finishing.
Cash gets a D. He wrestled down to his competition.
Bowman - F
Glynn gets a D. Can't finish shots and gets ridden like a pony

I concur that Marinelli needs to do a better job of finishing, but but he soundly beat a top 10 guy 5-1, the same guy who just put 14 on Massa and only lost to IMAR by 4...oh, and he's still a RS freshmen. I'll stick with my A+. Wish some of our other guys had bad ass defense and a heavy right club like Alex.

Watched the meet again and that move McKee tried that led to Glynns takedown should have been penalized. Lucky Glynn didn’t tear a knee on that.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT