ADVERTISEMENT

Mistake Cancelling Big Ten Tournament

Iowa Hog

HR MVP
Sep 30, 2001
From reports, the virus does not attack young people. Although they needed to do was put out a warning that come at your own risk if you over 70. Cancelling everything puts out a bad message to young people, when there is risk hide under a closet. Booked a cruise and the cruise line said if you are 70 and over you needed permission to board the cruise. Too bad our sport establishments did not use the same common sense as the cruise line, come at your own risk which is minimal based on the facts. Feel sorry for Garza and our players prevented from playing.

From reports, the virus does not attack young people. Although they needed to do was put out a warning that come at your own risk if you over 70. Cancelling everything puts out a bad message to young people, when there is risk hide under a closet. Booked a cruise and the cruise line said if you are 70 and over you needed permission to board the cruise. Too bad our sport establishments did not use the same common sense as the cruise line, come at your own risk which is minimal based on the facts. Feel sorry for Garza and our players prevented from playing.

So should we put up signs on the interstate drive at your own peril so nobody needs insurance? Its a frickin game not worth infecting anybody. Christ some people are simple.

People just have to get it through theirs heads that this is about getting way out in front of this crap BEFORE it starts running rampant through the population.
Test kits are scarce and meds come from China so supplies are limited and they may just decide to slow play us for punishment or to squeeze $ from higher payers.
The virus itself may have similar or less net results from contracting it but this one moves through the population about 10 times faster than others.
Take the hit now, make it more of a bump in the road vs a mountain to get past and get back to "normal " sooner.

So it won't kill the people under what age? And what about when they get it then infect their parents/grandparents/aunts and uncles/YOUR family?

Think about it.

So you are good with helping to spread the virus, because it is unlikely to kill you? Wow.

I remember when polio hit my small town and neighbors died or were crippled. Everybody was scared, but kids went to school and people did not panic and carried on. The influenza virus killed millions in 1915 and is still around and we call it the flu, and the coronavirus will be around for years like the flu. Will see if they cancel next years tournament

I remember when polio hit my small town and neighbors died or were crippled. Everybody was scared, but kids went to school and people did not panic and carried on. The influenza virus killed millions in 1915 and is still around and we call it the flu, and the coronavirus will be around for years like the flu. Will see if they cancel next years tournament
We don't know about the future of the coronavirus. It probably will be around, but there will probably be a vaccine within a year or so. There will probably be additional anti-virals available even sooner that will help reduce the spread.

Here’s your answer

This is simply trying to reduce the spread of a highly infectious disease that has killed people while allowing the medical experts the time to develop a cure. To do otherwise (allow people to "come at your own risk" and exposing others to the virus) would do nothing but over run & overwhelm hospitals and medical facilities to a degree beyond belief. Who knows it may be headed that way as is.

There currently are people who have not traveled outside the country that are experiencing symptoms. Some of them have not been tested.

The 'come at your own risk' is the dumpest thing the sporting industry could do....because there are plenty of dumb people who would do just that ... come at their own risk (screw everyone else).

I feel bad for our student athletes...it would be worse if one of them or someone from their family would be adversely affected by this thing.

Doesnt attack younger people?? Wut?? They still get infected and spread it.

This is simply trying to reduce the spread of a highly infectious disease that has killed people while allowing the medical experts the time to develop a cure. To do otherwise (allow people to "come at your own risk" and exposing others to the virus) would do nothing but over run & overwhelm hospitals and medical facilities to a degree beyond belief. Who knows it may be headed that way as is.

There currently are people who have not traveled outside the country that are experiencing symptoms. Some of them have not been tested.

The 'come at your own risk' is the dumpest thing the sporting industry could do....because there are plenty of dumb people who would do just that ... come at their own risk (screw everyone else).

I feel bad for our student athletes...it would be worse if one of them or someone from their family would be adversely affected by this thing.
The voice of reason.

Reactions: perryhawk
There was plenty reason to not allow fans.

There was basically no reason to not still play the games.

Cancelling the games accomplishes nothing.
I'm sure for the same reason, all the NBA players are pissed for not being able to play against Utah Jazz, even in empty arenas.

There was plenty reason to not allow fans.

There was basically no reason to not still play the games.

Cancelling the games accomplishes nothing.

Thanks professor - maybe you can apply to be the commissioner of the NBA and set everyone straight. Better yet, why don't you do head up the CDC and explain to everyone how we're actually supposed to be handling this situation.

Reactions: perryhawk
The WWI virus is not still around. Viruses mutate or whatever they call it.

From reports, the virus does not attack young people. Although they needed to do was put out a warning that come at your own risk if you over 70. Cancelling
everything puts out a bad message to young people, when there is risk hide under a closet. Booked a cruise and the cruise line said if you are 70 and over you needed permission to board the cruise. Too bad our sport establishments did not use the same common sense as the cruise line, come at your own risk which is minimal based on the facts. Feel sorry for Garza and our players prevented from playing.

Holy smokes, dude! Do you have even the least bit of a clue about what's going on?

Thank goodness these decisions are driven by the advice of medical/epidemiology experts, and not made by some random dude angry about not being able to watch basketball games.

Do yourself and everyone a favor and spend time educating yourself, and a lot less time "educating" everyone else.

LOL. Yeah, the influenza strain from the Spanish Flu of 1918-1920 is exactly the same as the common influenza virus that we have every flu season. If you're gonna spread bullsh*t, at least get the year right.

Good Lord, people need to step away from the keyboard.

Where are you from, 1920's Romania?

Reactions: IlliniHoops91
I think everyone is missing the bigger picture...

After everything that has been going on for the last 5 years OP is willing to go on a cruise? Have fun staying on the ship in quarantine.

No offense OP but it is things like this that are going to piss me off if more things get cancelled. We have a chance to stop the spread, no matter how bad you think it is. History will then tell us later if we are over or under reacting.

Reactions: ih8iast8
At times like this, it simply doesn’t matter what is said or what is done. You still have people bitching! They don’t cancel and hundreds get sick, people would have been calling for someone’s head. Postpone it to keep people as safe as possible and people, some of the same people bitch! It doesn’t matter.

But I will say this, the message is getting through loud and clear the farther East you go. We were in Indy awaiting the tournament only for it to be canceled. Naturally as an obsessive fan, I was disappointed but could find understanding in it. And what really defined the clarity for me further was staying in Indy a couple days longer and just heading home today. Last evening went out to get a bite to eat downtown and it was like a ghost town! Been there several times, even without the tournament in town, but had never seen it like this. And even today drove through downtown before we left around the noon hour and just minimal people outside, not the norm for a business day in a larger metropolitan city.

maybe it is hype, but we have to trust in our medical professionals and heed their warnings and be pro-active and this will pass in time and everyone can get back to their normal life! Be your own health advocate, but it seems from my recent visit, people are taking the action requested and doing their part!

Reactions: hawk-i bob
We don't know about the future of the coronavirus. It probably will be around, but there will probably be a vaccine within a year or so. There will probably be additional anti-virals available even sooner that will help reduce the spread.
You do know most vaccines are worthless. No more worthless vaccine than the one for H1N1.

Seriously, everyone is at risk. Some more than others, but imagine the scenario that we "play on?" What if by doing so, some athletes contract the virus and can't compete, therefore making one's team incomplete of their full capabilities. Now say it spreads like wildfire like it already has and some student-athletes happen to die from Coronavirus. We would all be saying this could have been avoided by cancelling everything to prevent the spread. Then lawsuits start coming out of the woodwork for not doing what's best for student-athletes under these circumstances. This is not an overreaction. This had to be done, period. It sucks as a fan but this is the reality. Common sense is preventing the spread.

Reactions: hawk-i bob
I also remember polio from when I was a kid growing up in Chicago. Polio was terrible. However, I also remember Dr. Saulk and his vaccine. They gave us the sugar cubes at our Elementary School with the yellowish colored serum on it and we were fine. They're working on vaccines right now, but until then, intermingling, especially in large numbers would be potentially catastrophic for pregnant women, infants and children, and the aged.

It's about stopping the spread of the virus because it's highly contagious.

Please tell me you're trying to be funny.

Okay. Now I know you're not kidding.

Probably should sit this one out, old timer.

Reactions: mstp1992
They first discovered the Corona virus in the 50s, there are three strains I believe.

Okay. Now I know you're not kidding.

Probably should sit this one out, old timer.
Totally agree with you sitting this one out you jackass.

who cares, the ncaa tourney isn't happening.

it's pretty damn pointless now.....

Reactions: RocknRollface
Thanks professor - maybe you can apply to be the commissioner of the NBA and set everyone straight. Better yet, why don't you do head up the CDC and explain to everyone how we're actually supposed to be handling this situation.

This really missed the mark bad.

It's not even a coherent point let alone counter argument.

Preventing small gatherings of people will not slow the spread of the virus. Nor is any expert claiming it will.

Do you have some
statistics the back that up. Just curious not trying to start an argument. There's so much misinformation out there

Dan Patrick read on air yesterday the message he received from his friend who works at the biggest hospital in Houston. She said that hospitals across the nation are ill-prepared for this and that in roughly 30 days there will be a HUGE influx of people going to hospitals. Most wont die. But, she said, they will be taking beds and staff from your run of the mill “Hey I’m having a heart attack today” patients.

So to those who say “It will only kill 400,000 people and so does the flu”.... just know that millions and millions of people who will survive will still be taking up hospital beds. You or one of your loved ones may need one of those beds for an accident or illness.

Some food for thought.

Dan Patrick read on air yesterday the message he received from his friend who works at the biggest hospital in Houston. She said that hospitals across the nation are ill-prepared for this and that in roughly 30 days there will be a HUGE influx of people going to hospitals. Most wont die. But, she said, they will be taking beds and staff from your run of the mill “Hey I’m having a heart attack today” patients.

So to those who say “It will only kill 400,000 people and so does the flu”.... just know that millions and millions of people who will survive will still be taking up hospital beds. You or one of your loved ones may need one of those beds for an accident or illness.

Some food for thought.
Meh, it's too late for justification.

What's done is impatiently done, and now they're gonna have to deal with it...........

Some food for thought.

When you shut down the country, create massive job loss and bankrupt millions in the process you are going to have a lot more problems than hospital beds.

taking Steps or be safer, even cancelling sports, doesn’t necessarily equate to “panic”. It may be being prudent, proactive, or even overly-cautious. But that doesn’t 100% mean it’s panic.

When you shut down the country, create massive job loss and bankrupt millions in the process you are going to have a lot more problems than hospital beds.

You’re right that there’s a balance that needs to be struck. Most day-to-day operations need to continue, otherwise there are vital product shortages that can have their own dangerous effects.

With that said, entertainment cancellations/postponements probably aren’t vital. Yes, there are negative economic consequences for many, and it’s very disappointing to not see March Madness this year. However, given that we don’t have a good handle on who or how many are currently infected (e.g., studies show people are contagious for 4-5 days before they are symptomatic) cancelling/postponing these entertainment events seems to be a reasonable response.

This should hit pretty close to home for the Iowa basketball team in particular - Patrick McCaffery may be particularly susceptible to this virus. He couldn’t play this year due to complications with his recovery from cancer a couple years ago, and it’s possible his immune system could be severely compromised if he were infected with coronavirus. The fact that European soccer players were infected despite playing in front of empty stadiums, and that NBA players tested positive even without being symptomatic, makes the decision to not play (even without fans) seem reasonable.

There’s certainly plenty to debate. For example, I think they should have postponed the NCAA Tournament rather than cancel. We continue to learn a lot about this virus as time goes on, and we should know a lot more in another month. Perhaps we could develop a way to test the players involved to confirm they are healthy enough to compete and then it would be feasible to have the tournament in April or May.

You’re right that there’s a balance that needs to be struck. Most day-to-day operations need to continue, otherwise there are vital product shortages that can have their own dangerous effects.

With that said, entertainment cancellations/postponements probably aren’t vital. Yes, there are negative economic consequences for many, and it’s very disappointing to not see March Madness this year. However, given that we don’t have a good handle on who or how many are currently infected (e.g., studies show people are contagious for 4-5 days before they are symptomatic) cancelling/postponing these entertainment events seems to be a reasonable response.

This should hit pretty close to home for the Iowa basketball team in particular - Patrick McCaffery may be particularly susceptible to this virus. He couldn’t play this year due to complications with his recovery from cancer a couple years ago, and it’s possible his immune system could be severely compromised if he were infected with coronavirus. The fact that European soccer players were infected despite playing in front of empty stadiums, and that NBA players tested positive even without being symptomatic, makes the decision to not play (even without fans) seem reasonable.

There’s certainly plenty to debate. For example, I think they should have postponed the NCAA Tournament rather than cancel. We continue to learn a lot about this virus as time goes on, and we should know a lot more in another month. Perhaps we could develop a way to test the players involved to confirm they are healthy enough to compete and then it would be feasible to have the tournament in April or May.

Many good points and I’m not making a stance of there’s no concern. There’s a definite risk group for this based on age average death that’s been established. Take precautions, make some adjustments to daily routines, stay clean, self isolate if needed, etc. BUT the numbers world wide do not justify this decision making. There’s going to be a far more enormous hit to the economy and subsequent ripple effect resulting in something far worse than the virus itself.

Let’s look at the context of sports. The NCAA gets 85% of it’s money from the NCAA tourney. It’s cancelled so the TV networks are going to recoup or not pay the NCAA because a service was not delivered. The NCAA might be insured but this is a massive dollar payout. The insurance company is going to need to recoup that money somehow so where do you suppose they are going to push the can down the road? That’s the outcome of 1 decision of many from over-reaction. Now multiply that throughout this country. We are looking at decisions that will have a far worse impact than what we are trying to prevent which was a couple of percent larger than the common flu?

So you survive but now you lost your job, your retirement, your home, and/or are bankrupt. How is this justifying the means. Are you feeling the reaction to this virus was a good decision? What if millions are in this same situation?

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT