ADVERTISEMENT

Mollie Tibbetts found dead

That seems a bit over the top

Heartless fvck, tell my wife and 12 and 11 year old daughters that

I'm not gonna tell anyone how to grieve.

But, crying and feeling like you personally know somoene because you saw them on the news? That seems over the top to me.

It's what I do.

But, seriously doesn't crying and "feeling like you know someone" because you saw them on the news seem a bit much? It would be hard to watch news, sports, movies if your connections are that strong that quick.

Listen asshole put yourself in the mind of a 11 and 12 year old girl who lives 1 hour away and see this news daily for a month and when they ask about her daily if they found her. They were scared and still scared that someone may still be out there. You need help.
I would like to respond to this back-and-forth…

HIWILLE's wife and kids reaction is predictable—the media coverage of Mollie (I'm guessing) is/was entirely such that she is portrayed as a sympathetic character. So, as described by HIWILLE, after weeks of coverage, people develop varying levels of sympathy for her (and, by extension, her family and community). That daily dose of empathy adds up, more for some, less for others. But it is fair to say that for almost nobody is there antipathy, indifference, and almost assuredly no hostility.

Point being, media matters. Language matters. Portrayals matter.

Conversely, there is a ton of media portraying groups of people as—to be simplistic for the sake of expediency—not worthy of empathy, or, even more simplistically, bad. Some of this is plenty apparent already in this thread. The daily dose of Liberals this, Conservatives that, old white males this, young black males that, Mexicans this, White Nationalists that, is important and has very real effects—emotional effects that render people pliable towards, ultimately, policy (and power).

Point being, in a word, awareness. I wish we were all acutely aware of how media affects us, and sustain an ongoing critical analysis of the messages being delivered to us. This is not to suggest that none of the bad messaging is unwarranted, it is simply to suggest that it all deserves a reflex of skepticism and/or cynicism—in all directions with regard to all messages from all sources. Balancing this, hopefully, is a recognition that some messages, even as they fall on unappreciative ears, are nonetheless true. Confirmation bias these days is quite remarkable.

Mollie's story sucks. It feels close to home to many on an Iowa message board for obvious reasons. As far as I'm concerned, to whatever "group" the person(s) responsible for her kidnapping and death is virtually immaterial. People from all "groups" do bad things, and there is no magical policy that is going to magically eliminate bad stuff. If this isn't obvious, now more than ever, then damn we're really wearing blinders.

So while I'll surely get chastised for directing attention away from Mollie, I hope my words aren't wasted. People see their own children, daughter(s), wife, sister in Mollie. Maybe she reminds them of their own, looks a little like their own. It's thus easy to empathize. Personally, I see a reflection of me, of my humanity, in all people. It was practically bred into me. It's something I value in myself.

I'm rambling a little, but whatever. The Mollie story as it has played out here in HROT has been fascinating. Now that it is coming to a conclusion of sorts, I'm reflective as are many of you. For what it's worth, this is my reflecting.

To summarize:
  1. The media messaging aspect of this is interesting in that it presents an opportunity to better understand how media effects us—how daily doses, sometimes as small and (seemingly) insignificant as a tweet or even just an image, create lasting, if not intractable, perceptions.
  2. Being aware of #1 is important as ever given our being constantly bombarded with messaging. Hell, in today's digital world, we hardly have time to take a breath to consider the validity and weight of a particular message before the next (often reinforcing) message hits us. Partnering with confirmation bias, holy shit this renders us virtually guaranteed to always be fighting amongst ourselves.
  3. As a result of #1 and #2, there is a very, very real consequence of to whom and to what we decide to share our empathy. I hope people give this some consideration.
If you made it this far, thanks for listening. RIP Mollie.

Last edited:
these photos were part of the story published by the Des Moines Register/USA Today where they were focusing on the now deceased victim and the victim's family; you have a problem with that, too?

Relax chief. He was referencing a less technological time. We should all be able to relate

Reactions: staygoldponyboy
The thing with Reddit is that now if at the 5pm news conference comes and police say that no one is in custody or that they arrested a family member people like OiT will go on for years that it was a conspiracy to hide that fact that it was really person X because agenda Y.

Reactions: staygoldponyboy
Also heard just a few minutes ago that there is a leak in the info and that there is going to be a story on it coming out shortly with a local radio or TV station. Unbelievable amount of rumors going around that area. I've heard 5 totally different stories this morning.

Local farming family in the area (Two Brothers and Father Farm it I believe, I played sports with both brothers). None of them would EVER have anything to do with this. They simply farm in that area. Generational farmers there. GREAT FAMILY. Please do not start rumors that they would have had anything to do with this.

I think I was clear in just asking. Not starting anything, but you are doing a great job starting something.

Just inquiring. Sounds like a good family.

Reactions: Hammer93
The thing with Reddit is that now if at the 5pm news conference comes and police say that no one is in custody or that they arrested a family member people like OiT will go on for years that it was a conspiracy to hide that fact that it was really person X because agenda Y.
people like OiT first thought it may be a Traveller along i80 and then saw some sort of desert in Arizona or Utah in some sort of vision. People like OiT never really have developed any theory other than may be some strange cult but we shall see. Just gotta wait and see

I think I was clear in just asking. Not starting anything, but you are doing a great job starting something.

Just inquiring. Sounds like a good family.

Sorry. Not inferring that you are starting anything. And you are right. I need to go silent on this. I don't want to stir up anything more then is already out there.

Texted friend who in is law enforcement where there is quite a few vehicles out blocking roads to get to crime scene. Said area is not one of the 5 zones but it is just SE of the town of Guernsey and east side of hwy 21. Fairly close to English River.

Texted friend who in is law enforcement where there is quite a few vehicles out blocking roads to get to crime scene. Said area is not one of the 5 zones but it is just SE of the town of Guernsey and east side of hwy 21. Fairly close to English River.
is the suspect from Brooklyn then or was she dumped here?

6 weeks ago this girl was known to few and was about to start fall classes at Iowa; she simply went for a jog on a warm summer evening, like many of us do; and today she is national news and trending on twitter and a family is devastated

it scares the heck out of me when i think of my 20 something nieces living in Des Moines, Kansas City and Iowa City; I have another niece living in Mediapolis, a town of 1200 (similar to Brooklyn); Mollie was living her life and suddenly she was at the wrong place at the wrong time; life is much more fragile than I think any of us know

As others have stated, as a father of a little girl (who pisses me off from time to time), you couldn’t build anything that would hold me from this SOB once he was known.

As for who did it, I hate to say it but there are contractors all over in that area.

is the suspect from Brooklyn then or was she dumped here?

6 weeks ago this girl was known to few and was about to start fall classes at Iowa; she simply went for a jog on a warm summer evening, like many of us do; and today she is national news and trending on twitter and a family is devastated

it scares the heck out of me when i think of my 20 something nieces living in Des Moines, Kansas City and Iowa City; I have another niece living in Mediapolis, a town of 1200 (similar to Brooklyn); Mollie was living her life and suddenly she was at the wrong place at the wrong time; life is much more fragile than I think any of us know

Area is about 15 miles give or take from Brooklyn. Zero clue on suspect just information I got is where body was found. No clue either on who or how body was found either.

Reactions: Franisdaman
As others have stated, as a father of a little girl (who pisses me off from time to time), you couldn’t build anything that would hold me from this SOB once he was known.

As for who did it, I hate to say it but there are contractors all over in that area.
i remember the boyfriend saying that the 2 dogs she was sitting kinda gave a sense of security and that nobody in Brooklyn locked their doors

maybe if those dogs had gone with her on that damn jog.

damn it.

those with daughters on here, are you thinking of putting them in self defense classes? granted, they would probably never use it, but....

A guy who looked like someone who would play a perp straight out of Criminal Minds. Lives in the area and has a history of stalking charges.
Yeah, I feel bad for that poor SOB if/when it turns out he's not involved.

Thoughts and prayers to Mollie and her family and loved ones. What a terrible and tragic ordeal.

As a father of a little girl this rips my guts out, and cannot imagine the pain they're experiencing right now.

No kidding. Who throwing a camera in his face was out of line. There was some guy in Minnesota who got the blame for a child killing until the real guy confessed. Ruined his life.

i remember the boyfriend saying that the 2 dogs she was sitting kinda gave a sense of security and that nobody in Brooklyn locked their doors

damn it.

those with daughters on here, are you thinking of putting them in self defense classes? granted, they would probably never use it, but....

I know it is taboo, and if you are against them then that is fine.

With that said, sign your wife up for a conceal and carry class.

You will sleep better.

i hope there are counselors readily available

if i were a family member, i would need help, i can tell you that; think about it; if you are the parent of this child, someone found your child's decomposing remains this morning; how the hell do you move forward?

damn it.

Yes, self defense is a good start however I wouldn’t want mine to become overconfident. I remember when she was like 9 she would tell me what she would do if someone tried to grab her. I thought “Oh God, she really believes she can fight off a grown man!”. So one day I put it to the test, I grabbed her and said get out of it....suffice it to say she figured out that she would need a different plan.

When she is old enough I will teach her to shoot. There’s too many scumbags in this world.

I don’t want to think about it, but I would do all kinds of unholy things to this SOB who killed little Ms. Tibbits. I don’t know her, but it hits too close to home.

i hope there are counselors readily available

if i were a family member, i would need help, i can tell you that; think about it; if you are the parent of this child, someone found your child's decomposing remains this morning; how the hell do you move forward?

I don’t think you ever get over it, you just live with it. Both my mom and Dad had sisters murdered within a few years of each other in the 80s. I don’t think it goes away.

Reactions: Franisdaman
My family lives in a very small town that is clean and everybody knows everybody.

The only time we lock the door is at night. We leave it unlocked all day even when nobody is home. We tell repair people to just walk in if nobody answers.

This type of thing is very common in small towns.

My family lives in a very small town that is clean and everybody knows everybody.

The only time we lock the door is at night. We leave it unlocked all day even when nobody is home. We tell repair people to just walk in if nobody answers.

This type of thing is very common in small towns.
Same here except our doors are locked, most of the time, during the day. We personally know all of the service people that come to our home. We just give them the code to the garage door.

According to my sources she was killed by an illegal who was working in the area and had seen her running and stalked her. Body was found in a farm field nearby. They knew all along this was the case.

I hope this is not the case. Rural Iowans are suspicious as it is and IF this is the case, all people of color in similar situations will need to review their options.
As horrid as this scenario is, to falsely judge all because of the actions of one is not right....or remotely justifiable.

Apply that same logic to guns then.

Anyone hear anything about her being hit by a car on her run? Ik it was speculated early on but I’ve heard it again today through a guy in a neighboring town to Brooklyn. They said she was killed by the car and the person panicked and disposed of her body. Probably just one of the many rumors floating around.

Yeah ‘84 (shot by her husband while in a car with my cousins in the back seat) and ‘87 (stabbed by her boyfriend in the alley outside of work).

Sorry dude that is rare in this town especial during the 80s. It is getting worse it seems, or maybe I am to close to it.

Yeah ‘84 (shot by her husband while in a car with my cousins in the back seat) and ‘87 (stabbed by her boyfriend in the alley outside of work).

Sorry dude that is rare in this town especial during the 80s. It is getting worse it seems, or maybe I am to close to it.

Yeah, I agree seems to be getting hairy especially with that kid that got beat to death down on 4th street.

Yeah, I agree seems to be getting hairy especially with that kid that got beat to death down on 4th street.

Yep, and no one saw a thing. Weird thing is I was down in that area, and there was a group walking around with shirts off at the same. I won't give away why I am close, but I got a text as they could see where I was and asked what I had seen.

Kid that I coached in MS football shot a guy a week or so ago to get even.

Kid last year shot in a car downtown.

I remember when the Ron Fish, owner of Ben Fish, was murdered it was news for weeks. To many of these things are becoming footnotes.

Not to take anything away from your tragedy, and I apologize up front if you take it that way, but your anecdotal experiences of family death show why "self defense" and other precautions are generally irrelevant, other than to make one feel more secure. Hard to stop either of those incidents.

Or more generally, I've read comments like, "who lets her go running at night?!?" like somehow hiding inside will keep one's loved ones safe.

This shit sucks, but is statistically extremely rare and mostly unpreventable.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT