ADVERTISEMENT

Moss Interest.. Hes not leaving to be the guy..

Why would Kansas even consider an experienced player who shot 42% from 3 and plays decent defense?

I hope Moss goes to KU and goes off to quiet some of you who continuously try to downplay his contributions to the Hawks the last couple of years. The mere fact that he’s drawn comparisons to Maishe Dailey, whose best transfer option was Akron, and Brady Ellingson, whose best transfer option was Drake, within this very thread might indicate that some of you need to take off the blinders. He wouldn’t be a go-to guy on KU, but would fill an important role, much as he did on Iowa.

The role of being the second best three point shooter on the highest scoring and third best 3pt shooting team in the Big Ten

Edit: thanks for proving my point with the word “downplay” though

Last edited:
Reactions: Stormn Norman
Ya ok dude
Right f me for choosing to recognize how Moss helped Iowa during his time here and pointing out how that would make him attractive to several big name schools. I’ll quiet up and let the rational people keep comparing him to Dailey and Ellingson

The Mosses saying all the right things to keep the situation positive. Smart move to facilitate his move.
Clearly coaches around the country value Ikes game more than some Iowa fans.

I give these detractors the benefit of the doubt assuming that they are not down on Ike the person and wish him well...otherwise the sentiments of appreciation by Moss to Hawk fans would be undeserved.

I continue to be puzzled by this transfer. Not sure how Ike would perceive a better opportunity to prepare for the pros at unknown situations like his final four schools unless Fran simply refused to concede to the possibility of more minutes,even if Ikes play improved.Hmmmm...

Reactions: unoHawkeye
The Mosses saying all the right things to keep the situation positive. Smart move to facilitate his move.
Clearly coaches around the country value Ikes game more than some Iowa fans.

I give these detractors the benefit of the doubt assuming that they are not down on Ike the person and wish him well...otherwise the sentiments of appreciation by Moss to Hawk fans would be undeserved.

I continue to be puzzled by this transfer. Not sure how Ike would perceive a better opportunity to prepare for the pros at unknown situations like his final four schools unless Fran simply refused to concede to the possibility of more minutes,even if Ikes play improved.Hmmmm...
I see two possible explanations for the transfer (could be more, I could be totally wrong)

1) Moss sees a similar role for himself next year as the past year - a 3 and D guy who is the fourth scoring option on the team behind JW, JB, and Garza. He wants more exposure (which he could get on a team like Kansas) or an expanded role (which he could possibly get on the other teams).

This seems like the most likely scenario, though I’m with you - don’t really agree with the reasoning. Iowa’s got the capability to be a fantastic team next year with great opportunity for high exposure in the best conference in basketball

2) Moss sees the potential for a major role, but reduced minutes depending on how CJ Fredrick has played in practice, and based on what he knows of Pat McC’s game, if he thinks JW takes minutes at the 2.

Seems less likely that Fredrick as a RFr or PM as a true Fr would take minutes from senior Moss, but still a possibility

I have no idea why we’ve chosen to have some stupid dichotomy around Moss’ contributions. It’s possible that he is a good player AND that we could replace his production rather easily.

Reactions: anon_wic6m41528ao4
I have no idea why we’ve chosen to have some stupid dichotomy around Moss’ contributions. It’s possible that he is a good player AND that we could replace his production rather easily.
I’ve got no problem acknowledging that Moss is an average Big Ten starter, who is pretty one dimensional offensively. Given Fran’s teams’ success on offense, I tend to agree his contributions can (and likely will) be replaced.

What I don’t get is that when it’s Ellingson and Dailey grad transferring to seek more opportunity, it’s nothing but sunshine, “thank you for your contributions,” and “best of luck.” People discuss their contributions and what they could provide to their next teams. With Moss, the sentiment is bordering on the exact opposite, even though he’s apparently a borderline Big Ten player according to some here. Pretty disappointing considering Isaiah has done nothing but keep his head down, say the right things, and give his best during his time at Iowa and throughout the transfer process.

But whatever. I have too many posts in this thread and have already expressed my sentiment.

Best of luck to Isaiah. Just like TC, I won’t hate on somebody who wants to try to live out their dream and believes somewhere else is the best avenue to do so after spending four years in Iowa’s program. I’ll continue to follow his career and hope he goes off wherever he ends up

Last edited:
If Ike was such a bum why are these schools even interested?
If Ike is so horrible why did he start for three seasons at Iowa?
Making 43 per cent from the arc must be easy if a bum like Ike can do it.

These coaches must believe that in the right situation and role with the players they already have on their team he can help a team win.. Iowa doesn’t have decent guard play.. that hurts shooters like moss that aren’t necessarily the best ball handlers. I think he can do well playing to what he does best on the right team.. I don’t think he’s at all a bum he just knows Iowa roster of players is not a good fit for him & I don’t think it really ever was.. Iowa’s point guards aren’t making the players around them any better and they are not putting enough pressure on defenders off the dribble.. no 3’s going down and we are in trouble..

Reactions: unoHawkeye
I’ve got no problem acknowledging that Moss is an average Big Ten starter, who is pretty one dimensional offensively. Given Fran’s teams’ success on offense, I tend to agree his contributions can (and likely will) be replaced.

What I don’t get is that when it’s Ellingson and Dailey grad transferring to seek more opportunity, it’s nothing but sunshine, “thank you for your contributions,” and “best of luck.” People discuss their contributions and what they could provide to their next teams. With Moss, the sentiment is bordering on the exact opposite, even though he’s apparently a borderline Big Ten player according to some here. Pretty disappointing considering Isaiah has done nothing but keep his head down, say the right things, and give his best during his time at Iowa and throughout the transfer process.

But whatever. I have too many posts in this thread and have already expressed my sentiment.

Best of luck to Isaiah. Just like TC, I won’t hate on somebody who wants to try to live out their dream and believes somewhere else is the best avenue to do so after spending four years in Iowa’s program. I’ll continue to follow his career and hope he goes off wherever he ends up

The dichotomy between Moss and Dailey/Brady is that Moss was a multi year starter that was likely going to start next year too. The other two guys were backups with diminishing PT at the end of their last season before the transfer. Multi-year starters for big conference NCAA tourney teams rarely transfer when they likely still have their starting spot. That causes some to get really defensive.

Simple answer is that we would be a better team with an experienced shooter with ok athleticism like Moss next year. Maybe our replacement for him will do well and cover that loss. We won’t know until next season is well underway.

Reactions: HoustonHawkeye
I can see that maybe Moss might think that he could prosper with a penetrating pg who can set him up better for his forte, catch and shoot.
I was hoping JoeyT wad going to be that guy.

I completely agree.

It's understandable why teams would want to bring on a 5th year senior who averages 40% from 3. Hell we would love to bring a guy on like that.

That being said, all we lose is 9 points a game. It's not beyond reason to think that Joe T, CJ, and Connor can combine to fill that hole.

Why would Kansas even consider an experienced player who shot 42% from 3 and plays decent defense?

I hope Moss goes to KU and goes off to quiet some of you who continuously try to downplay his contributions to the Hawks the last couple of years. The mere fact that he’s drawn comparisons to Maishe Dailey, whose best transfer option was Akron, and Brady Ellingson, whose best transfer option was Drake, within this very thread might indicate that some of you need to take off the blinders. He wouldn’t be a go-to guy on KU, but would fill an important role, much as he did on Iowa.

This. Lots of bitter idiots on this board.

I have no clue. It took Moss 4 years to realize he didn't like his coach?
That's exactly right Suterman. He could help the team but he is never going to be consistent and have his head in the game all the time. Too bad because he does have talent but just can't turn it up and keep it there.

This. Lots of bitter idiots on this board.

I’m not bitter at all. I’ve been asking to upgrade the SG spot for a long time. Now we will see if its an upgrade or not. I’m sure Isiah is a great kid and it seems like he kept his head down and nose clean. I just didn’t think he was a very good player (besides occasionally going off offensively) and not the type of player needed by the Hawks to get past the level they are at. Like someone said above, it might be that he was a bad fit skill-wise for Iowa’s roster.

What I don’t understand is some of the fans defending him and putting him on a pedestal. I see people blaming Fran and staff for his production and not getting enough chances - that is BS as he was given many chances, including starting for 3 years. I see many people blaming Fran and staff for him not getting better. Just like with Cook, this takes the onus off the player. Moss has opportunities - including going through the NBA assessment last year - to up his game but he really didn’t. Also, there seems to be a lot of forgetting about how often he disappeared in games - being a complete non-factor. People on this board clamor for better recruiting and better results but yet they want to wring their hands over a player who proved he wasn’t even an average overall starting guard in the Big Ten.

The ones that are bitter are the ones that are so worried or upset that he might go to another Big Ten team or a place like Kansas. I have no problem with him doing that at all. Hundreds of Grad Transfers leave to try out a different team for their final year. I happen to believe this could be a situation where it benefits both sides in this case. Moss gets a fresh start to see if he can go where he feels he will be a better fit and Iowa can hopefully upgrade a spot that has been the weak link in their starting line-up.

I remember when people said losing Jok was a good thing. The same thing is happening with Cook and Moss now. Probably with a similar result.

I remember when people said losing Jok was a good thing. The same thing is happening with Cook and Moss now. Probably with a similar result.

Yep, I was so sick of Jok's defense and openly criticized that point of his game that maybe we wouldn't be playing 5 on 4 anymore. Yeah... I was sure right about not missing him ;)

Someone with a better knowledge of advanced analytics can show me other sources, but this site I found off reddit shows Moss to rank in the 51.8 percentile offensively. His effective FG percentage is in the 42.7 percentile.

http://www.barttorvik.com/team.php?team=Iowa

For a pretty one-dimensional player, those are not impressive numbers. He ranks even below Connor.

What I don’t understand is some of the fans defending him and putting him on a pedestal
Nobody is putting him on a pedestal. He was the 5th best Iowa starter last year. I am defending him from a lot of unnecessary vitriol either towards him or his game. At this point, everybody here knows his flaws, so continuing to dwell on them while ignoring the positives he brought to Iowa’s team is extra. JMO

Someone with a better knowledge of advanced analytics can show me other sources, but this site I found off reddit shows Moss to rank in the 51.8 percentile offensively. His effective FG percentage is in the 42.7 percentile.

http://www.barttorvik.com/team.php?team=Iowa

For a pretty one-dimensional player, those are not impressive numbers. He ranks even below Connor.
The low eFG supports my one-dimensional player comment. The fact that Moss was absolutely miserable from inside the 3pt line dragged down his eFG substantially, which even places a higher emphasis on 3pt shooting I believe.

As @Stormn Norman pointed out earlier in the thread, IM needs to be in a position on a team where he doesn’t need to be a primary ballhandler or create his own shot, just needs to catch and shoot.

Reactions: Stormn Norman
The low eFG supports my one-dimensional player comment. The fact that Moss was absolutely miserable from inside the 3pt line dragged down his eFG substantially, which even places a higher emphasis on 3pt shooting I believe.

As @Stormn Norman pointed out earlier in the thread, IM needs to be in a position on a team where he doesn’t need to be a primary ballhandler or create his own shot, just needs to catch and shoot.
He was on a team like that, yet, he passed up open 3's and dribbled into trouble or took long 2's. Moss is decent as a catch and shoot player, but, he wants to be more and that brings down his production and eFG rating.

Reactions: ROCKY MOUNTAIN HAWK

Read a lot of crazy things on here. But don't remember this one.

Oh yes, that was the sentiment of many. It became rampant after the offense really clicked when he was out for a few games. Not only was the defense holding us back, his lack of ball movement was hurting us as well. Hilarious.

The problem is people never learn from their silly comments and continue to think that losing all-big 10 players is a good thing. Obviously that doesn’t apply to moss, but he fills a nice roll whether people want to give credit to him for that or not.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT