ADVERTISEMENT

MSU postponed

Better to cancel for now than have the Hawks infected. I think the Hawks should get to propose a make up date, and Sparty should have to live with it, as long as they have 2 days from the previous game. Jan 26 might be as good as it can get, as long as it enough time from the last infection. It would give the Hawks 3 straight home games over a short period, but other dates seem worse.

Last edited:
It was previously 21 days during football season until they changed it to 17 days to help tOSU. The reasoning was for myocarditis and testing for it after COVID.
Good info. Thanks. What % of the Covid-19 positive population carries myocardial risk? This seems overly carefu.

She can't control everyone. The state of Iowa has the same problems. A lot of idiots out wondering around without masks. True story - a couple walked by my wife and me today without masks on. The guy was decked out in full MI gear.
I always wonder why someone feels they have the right to call others names.
When you are outside, there is no evidence, scientific or otherwise that masks make a difference. If you looked at the data, you would find that the vast majority of Covid cases are contracted indoors and that you must be exposed for a lot longer than someone walking past you. Additionally if you are wearing a mask, and they are truly effective, you would be fine. If your frightened, try educating yourself instead of listening to the talking heads.

I work in the sanitizing industry. I have been in at least 200 facilities with confirmed cases of Covid, and probably another 400 or so facilities to do pre-emptive sanitizing so I stay abreast of the data.

Will be interesting if there are more positive cases or is that worm IZZO just avoiding a beat down
If you have a mediocre team, there is a big advantage to cry corvid. It helps your stats because you don't take a beatdown. This will give Michigan that incentive to not play us. This way they will have a better winning percentage at the end. No need to play a team that can possibly beat you and then be ranked higher because of the loss...BS

Get used to it, it won't be the only game cancelled. One thing for sure is I am glad Iowa got there Covid issues out of the way pre-season.
Edit: not cancelled, postponed
Drake had 5 straight games postponed/canceled.

@Ronman said this in another thread: This is just a house of cards that could collapse at any time.

If you have a mediocre team, there is a big advantage to cry corvid. It helps your stats because you don't take a beatdown. This will give Michigan that incentive to not play us. This way they will have a better winning percentage at the end. No need to play a team that can possibly beat you and then be ranked higher because of the loss...BS
Oh s**t I think I see your tin foil hat blowing across the lawn

There is NO EXCUSE for these outbreaks at Michigan State, Little Debbie & Penn State. NONE.

And what's the point of the daily testing if its not used for its original intent?

My understanding is that the daily test detects covid BEFORE a player is contagious. Therefore:

* If that ONE PLAYER tests positive, that ONE PLAYER is removed from the team & is given the more reliable test. If that ONE PLAYER tests positive again, that ONE PLAYER is in quarantine for 17 days. Obviously, if the daily test was a FALSE positive, that ONE PLAYER can return to the team immediately.

* There should NEVER BE MULTIPLE PLAYERS testing positive on any GIVEN DAY. If that happens, then protocols were not being met.

So, Nebraska, Penn State & Michigan State, how the hell did you go from a ONE PLAYER issue to a WHOLE TEAM ISSUE WHERE YOU HAVE TO PAUSE THE ENTIRE PROGRAM FOR UP TO 17 DAYS?

And the same question should be raised for any other B1G school with covid issues.

Meanwhile, a team like Iowa & the other 10 B1G teams, who are taking this seriously, are either at home or at the facility practicing, taking online courses, studying, & hanging out with teammates/coaches/ staff.

B1G players don't even have to go to the grocery store because they can grab unlimited food from the facility & take it home with them.

There is NO EXCUSE for these outbreaks at Michigan State, Little Debbie & Penn State. NONE.

And what's the point of the daily testing if its not used for its original intent?

My understanding is that the daily test detects covid BEFORE a player is contagious. Therefore:

* If that ONE PLAYER tests positive, that ONE PLAYER is removed from the team & is given the more reliable test. If that ONE PLAYER tests positive again, that ONE PLAYER is in quarantine for 17 days. Obviously, if the daily test was a FALSE positive, that ONE PLAYER can return to the team immediately.

* There should NEVER BE MULTIPLE PLAYERS testing positive on any GIVEN DAY. If that happens, then protocols were not being met.

So, Nebraska, Penn State & Michigan State, how the hell did you go from a ONE PLAYER issue to a WHOLE TEAM ISSUE WHERE YOU HAVE TO PAUSE THE ENTIRE PROGRAM FOR UP TO 17 DAYS?

And the same question should be raised for any other B1G school with covid issues.

Meanwhile, a team like Iowa & the other 10 B1G teams, who are taking this seriously, are either at home or at the facility practicing, taking online courses, studying, & hanging out with teammates/coaches/ staff.

B1G players don't even have to go to the grocery store because they can grab unlimited food from the facility & take it home with them.
Are all B1G teams getting daily Covid screening test?
And the protocol then calls for a more specific test?
it would be great if you had the link handy to share.

For example, if they indeed are testing every day, when you have a positive kid, why would you not be testing them everyday until you get 2 consecutive negative, then clear them, and dequarantine your team.

Further, you should definitely test before each game, any kid or staff that is positive, gets quarantine, and the rest play on.

For example, we had a household member recently be positive, cold symptoms, nagging but there, the other 4 adults in household, stayed smart and clean, and after 12 days, all got Covid tests and all were negative, a testing regimen would have worked for us, like for MSU, with out the unnecessary lock down

the B1G management of this is frustrating

In the case of MSU, the two players who were confirmed to be positive were roommates. So there is your reason for the "outbreak." They could have been following all the protocols and had two players get it. It appears they had another positive test in the MSU party after that (doesn't say if it's a player or coach). People can follow all the protocols that are put in place and still get the virus. It's very contagious.

I am with you on not understanding why these entire teams have to pause for 2 weeks. The whole point of the daily testing was to identify positive cases early, remove those players from activity and continue. But obviously that just isn't occurring. Basically entire teams are being shut down for multiple weeks for 1-2 positive cases. If that is going to be the standard, then yes we will have trouble finishing the season. It's been reported that much/most of the Iowa team had it. But if everyone didn't have it, it's a matter of time until someone who hasn't had it does get it. Then what?

Reactions: unclesammy
In the case of MSU, the two players who were confirmed to be positive were roommates. So there is your reason for the "outbreak." They could have been following all the protocols and had two players get it. It appears they had another positive test in the MSU party after that (doesn't say if it's a player or coach). People can follow all the protocols that are put in place and still get the virus. It's very contagious.

I am with you on not understanding why these entire teams have to pause for 2 weeks. The whole point of the daily testing was to identify positive cases early, remove those players from activity and continue. But obviously that just isn't occurring. Basically entire teams are being shut down for multiple weeks for 1-2 positive cases. If that is going to be the standard, then yes we will have trouble finishing the season. It's been reported that much/most of the Iowa team had it. But if everyone didn't have it, it's a matter of time until someone who hasn't had it does get it. Then what?

Yes, agreed, the initial 2 MSU players who tested positive were roommates. However, ONE PLAYER probably infected the other (or they caught it together?). And how does that happen unless protocols are not followed?

And like I said above, speaking of strict protocols, you have Iowa & the other 10 B1G teams taking this seriously where players will be found ONLY at a couple locations: (1) at home or (2) at the facility practicing, taking online courses, studying, & hanging out with teammates/coaches/ staff. B1G players don't even have to go to the grocery store because they can grab unlimited food from the facility & take it home with them.

How can a player get the virus if he is only at these 2 locations and/or only with teammates? To me, the answer is obvious. The protocols were not taken seriously by certain individuals at PSU, MSU & Little Debbie.

And I am with you. I think it was 7 on the Iowa team who have had it. But what if one or 2 now get it? Will more Iowa games get postponed? Look at Drake; they had 5 straight games postponed w/ no guarantee they will be made up. Can you imagine being a Drake fan and going from a normal 31 game schedule to 27 games to 22 games? That would totally suck.

For example, if they indeed are testing every day, when you have a positive kid, why would you not be testing them everyday until you get 2 consecutive negative, then clear them, and dequarantine your team.

Further, you should definitely test before each game, any kid or staff that is positive, gets quarantine, and the rest play on.

For example, we had a household member recently be positive, cold symptoms, nagging but there, the other 4 adults in household, stayed smart and clean, and after 12 days, all got Covid tests and all were negative, a testing regimen would have worked for us, like for MSU, with out the unnecessary lock down

Regarding the daily testing, please take my word for it or do a google search on the B1G basketball teams testing daily.

And speaking of the daily testing: Did you know that JBo recently tested positive on a daily rapid test BUT the more accurate follow up test turned out NEGATIVE?

Reactions: KcTo
Yes, agreed, the initial 2 MSU players who tested positive were roommates. However, ONE PLAYER probably infected the other (or they caught it together?). And how does that happen unless protocols are not followed?

And like I said above, speaking of strict protocols, you have Iowa & the other 10 B1G teams taking this seriously where players will be found ONLY at a couple locations: (1) at home or (2) at the facility practicing, taking online courses, studying, & hanging out with teammates/coaches/ staff. B1G players don't even have to go to the grocery store because they can grab unlimited food from the facility & take it home with them.

How can a player get the virus if he is only at these 2 locations and/or only with teammates? To me, the answer is obvious. The protocols were not taken seriously by certain individuals at PSU, MSU & Little Debbie.

And I am with you. I think it was 7 on the Iowa team who have had it. But what if one or 2 now get it? Will more Iowa games get postponed? Look at Drake; they had 5 straight games postponed w/ no guarantee they will be made up. Can you imagine being a Drake fan and going from a normal 31 game schedule to 27 games to 22 games? That would totally suck.

1) Nobody should be blaming anyone for getting the virus. Some people (I am not in this camp) take every possible precaution and still get it. Virus gonna virus - they have millions of years of practice

2) I think you are probably still underestimating the impact of Iowa's team already gotten the virus. There are only two types of people- those who have already had the virus, and those who are going to have the virus.

When you are outside, there is no evidence, scientific or otherwise that masks make a difference. If you looked at the data, you would find that the vast majority of Covid cases are contracted indoors and that you must be exposed for a lot longer than someone walking past you. Additionally if you are wearing a mask, and they are truly effective, you would be fine. If your frightened, try educating yourself instead of listening to the talking heads.

I work in the sanitizing industry. I have been in at least 200 facilities with confirmed cases of Covid, and probably another 400 or so facilities to do pre-emptive sanitizing so I stay abreast of the data.
Wasn't outside.

Regarding the daily testing, please take my word for it or do a google search on the B1G basketball teams testing daily.

And speaking of the daily testing: Did you know that JBo recently tested positive on a daily rapid test BUT the more accurate follow up test turned out NEGATIVE?
So that is not surprising as Daily rapid tests are meant as quick screening tests and 2nd test is more specific test.

the 1sr is designed to identify every possible positive case cheaply and easily (but has many false positives) where as the 2nd test will rule out all of the those negative cases, but is always more expensive, longer time to result,

That is actually how the system should work, $25 for a rapid that identifies all positives, $125 for a test that rules out all negatives this way we’ve identified all that have Covid and then eliminated those that don’t from that positive population

(I didnt mean you to look for that policy, I thought maybe you had it )

Reactions: Franisdaman
What is the protocol on postponing/cancelling games? Do these teams have to prove they have active positive cases? I ask because seems some teams have postponed/cancelled games against ranked opponents. Baylor comes to mind if you peak at their schedule or it could be teams not wanting to play Baylor. I hope there is some official proof of infection for postponement to occur.

There are some assumptions here and some things that I would disagree with. I am not certain that players are only allowed to go to the basketball facility and at their residence. What if a player has to go to the dentist, or get gas for their car, or wash their clothes? They are students, they can't just pay to have all their food delivered. I am not certain that all Big 10 teams can have all their food provided at their basketball facility. That may be the case, but I don't know that.

Speaking only from personal experience, it went through our family and it was during a time where extremely limited exposure to anyone outside the family. We practice good hygiene, wear masks, disinfect/clean the house regularly. Still happened. My personal opinion (and it's only opinion) is that the masks don't do anything measurable to stop/prevent the spread. The virus is contagious. A certain percent of people in a population are going to get it no matter what mitigation is practiced. I am hopeful more widespread vaccine distribution will mean we can get this behind us.

There are some assumptions here and some things that I would disagree with. I am not certain that players are only allowed to go to the basketball facility and at their residence. What if a player has to go to the dentist, or get gas for their car, or wash their clothes? They are students, they can't just pay to have all their food delivered. I am not certain that all Big 10 teams can have all their food provided at their basketball facility. That may be the case, but I don't know that.

Speaking only from personal experience, it went through our family and it was during a time where extremely limited exposure to anyone outside the family. We practice good hygiene, wear masks, disinfect/clean the house regularly. Still happened. My personal opinion (and it's only opinion) is that the masks don't do anything measurable to stop/prevent the spread. The virus is contagious. A certain percent of people in a population are going to get it no matter what mitigation is practiced. I am hopeful more widespread vaccine distribution will mean we can get this behind us.
This. If you are wearing a mask but get contact on your hands and the scratch your eyes, you can get infected. Masks help with some of the airborne spread. Odds are that you will not get as severe of a case of Covid-19 if you don't breathe in a large amount of the virus but you can get infected anyway.

Reactions: silasstarr

I have read the stories (and listened to some interviews on the radio) where Pitino of Minny & some of the Iowa players have come out and said they have no life. If they are not at home they are at the facility.

Caitlin Clark also said she had no life in a recent interview. All courses are online so there is no interaction with other students. The only interaction is with teammates, coaches and staff.

And food is unlimited for the players; they grab what they want at the facility and take it home w/ them.

I have read the stories (and listened to some interviews on the radio) where Pitino of Minny & some of the Iowa players have come out and said they have no life. If they are not at home they are at the facility.

Caitlin Clark also said she had no life in a recent interview. All courses are online so there is no interaction with other students. The only interaction is with teammates, coaches and staff.

And food is unlimited for the players; they grab what they want at the facility and take it home w/ them.
So basically they are like the rest of us who are following the guidelines. Except for the free food🙂

So basically they are like the rest of us who are following the guidelines. Except for the free food🙂
Incorrect.

They are not mingling with family members (a spouse, kids, etc). They are not going home for the holidays. They are not going to a gym to work out with the general population. They are not going to a restaurant for take out. They are not going to a work place, mingling with co-workers. I could go on and on, but hopefully you get the point!

Incorrect.

They are not mingling with family members (a spouse, kids, etc). They are not going home for the holidays. They are not going to a gym to work out with the general population. They are not going to a restaurant for take out. They are not going to a work place, mingling with co-workers. I could go on and on, but hopefully you get the point!
I said those of us who are following the guidelines.

No one has a normal life right now, so that is not surprising. I get up, have a coffee. Go for a 3 mile walk. Come home and shower. Go to my desk and work from 10-6. This is my day, everyday.

Just as I have been saying all along. It’s a virus. People are going to catch it. You can’t stop a virus.

Reactions: just_somebody
Michigan issues. First the election, then football now basketball. Hot mess there

Michigan issues. First the election, then football now basketball. Hot mess there

It's not just Michigan though. Drake has missed 5 games due to COVID. Last i looked, they are in Iowa. It really doesn't matter if state is more open or has more stringent lockdown measures. Every state and geography has been impacted. From late October through end of 2020, the entire upper Midwest (some of them with very strict mask mandates and others with no official mandates) had almost the exact same curve of increase in cases. And then decrease in cases. The logical explanation would be that we have far less control over how this virus spreads than we would like to believe.

Its still interesting as well, that (knock on wood) all the teams with these outbreaks are the ones at the bottom of the conference. I believe both Neb and PSU are winless in conference play. Same thing that happened in football for the most part. It really does make you wonder if protocols are being followed or if this is being used as an out.

Reactions: Franisdaman
Odds are that you will not get as severe of a case of Covid-19 if you don't breathe in a large amount of the virus but you can get infected anyway.

Wait... so the quantity of virus particles one inhales determines the severity of infection?
Oh boy. Please explain.

MSU cancelled. Throw them into a day that works for Iowa as long as it's 48 hrs in between games for them then so be it. Iowa shouldn't be the ones to suffer because their benchwarmers got covid.

I think we will see more shuffling of days of games even one day like we saw with NW and Iowa game being moved up a day to accommodate make up games. Plus you don't have to worry about thousands of fans who bought tickets when making the changes.

MSU cancelled. Throw them into a day that works for Iowa as long as it's 48 hrs in between games for them then so be it. Iowa shouldn't be the ones to suffer because their benchwarmers got covid.

I think we will see more shuffling of days of games even one day like we saw with NW and Iowa game being moved up a day to accommodate make up games. Plus you don't have to worry about thousands of fans who bought tickets when making the changes.
it will be interesting to see if these postponed games continue to grow...hopefully not!

Wait... so the quantity of virus particles one inhales determines the severity of infection?
Oh boy. Please explain.
I have read this in different articles but this one states it specifically: https://www.thelancet.com/journals/laninf/article/PIIS1473-3099(20)30232-2/fulltext
Of course there are other factors, especially preexisting conditions. But a case of a very mild infection that I am aware of was my great nephew. He masked and was very careful but he still got infected. His only symptom was loss of taste and smell. Nothing else. It lasted for 2 weeks. I was curious about how he only had these symptoms and nothing else (I know others who got very sick so I wanted to know why). I read a ton of stuff about it and this was really the only explanation I found that seemed feasible. Lucky kid, now he's got antibodies.

BTW, I don't recommend trying to duplicate this. You might not be so lucky!

You sound way more confident in your statement than you should be. While it is true that indoor contact is significantly more dangerous than outdoor contact, ANYONE who is going to be in contact with others (within 6 ft) should wear a mask.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT