ADVERTISEMENT

MSU postponed

She can't control everyone. The state of Iowa has the same problems. A lot of idiots out wondering around without masks. True story - a couple walked by my wife and me today without masks on. The guy was decked out in full MI gear.

Steve Deace?

• Haha
Reactions: BBHawk
Wait... so the quantity of virus particles one inhales determines the severity of infection?
Oh boy. Please explain.

You pretty much got it,... viral dose affects severity of infection..

in Addition, I would say the biology of the infected is; immune system, existing antibodies, co-morbidities, and with age being the greatest predictive factor of very bad outcomes.

It’s complex...

Move the 2/13 (Sat) MSU game to Iowa City and make it a 11 am start. Make up the PPD game on 2/14 (Sun) night game. Move the MSU/PU game on 2/16 back one day to Wednesday.

It really doesn’t seem all that difficult. If giving Iowa an extra home game is an unfair advantage, play these two games at a neutral site like Chicago or Indy. Just get the games played. These guys can play five different games against five different teams, in five consecutive days in the conference tournament. Playing the same team, back to back days should be pretty simple.

Reactions: kceasthawk
I have read this in different articles but this one states it specifically: https://www.thelancet.com/journals/laninf/article/PIIS1473-3099(20)30232-2/fulltext
Of course there are other factors, especially preexisting conditions. But a case of a very mild infection that I am aware of was my great nephew. He masked and was very careful but he still got infected. His only symptom was loss of taste and smell. Nothing else. It lasted for 2 weeks. I was curious about how he only had these symptoms and nothing else (I know others who got very sick so I wanted to know why). I read a ton of stuff about it and this was really the only explanation I found that seemed feasible. Lucky kid, now he's got antibodies.

BTW, I don't recommend trying to duplicate this. You might not be so lucky!

If he's under 25 then his experience with COVID is the par for the course for that age group. Of course, yes, there are people who have died that are young. But the same in our family. We all got it at the same time. Wife and I, middling symptoms. The high school/college age children, very mild. It wasn't due to their wearing masks and us not. It was our age and the immune systems of the people involved.

Wait... so the quantity of virus particles one inhales determines the severity of infection?
Oh boy. Please explain.

in Addition, I would say the biology of the infected is; immune system, existing antibodies, co-morbidities, and with age being the greatest predictive factor of very bad outcomes.

It’s complex...

Bingo we have a winner.

Reactions: KcTo
MSU cancelled. Throw them into a day that works for Iowa as long as it's 48 hrs in between games for them then so be it. Iowa shouldn't be the ones to suffer because their benchwarmers got covid.

I think we will see more shuffling of days of games even one day like we saw with NW and Iowa game being moved up a day to accommodate make up games. Plus you don't have to worry about thousands of fans who bought tickets when making the changes.

I agree with this. Go with whatever works for Iowa and meets the minimum requirements for space between games for MSU. If needed, play a doubleheader on back to back days in Iowa City in the future. Some of the smaller conferences are going this route to cut down on travel.

Reactions: iahawkeyes17
If he's under 25 then his experience with COVID is the par for the course for that age group. Of course, yes, there are people who have died that are young. But the same in our family. We all got it at the same time. Wife and I, middling symptoms. The high school/college age children, very mild. It wasn't due to their wearing masks and us not. It was our age and the immune systems of the people involved.
No one wants to be the exception.

Reactions: Mohawkeye
I agree with this. Go with whatever works for Iowa and meets the minimum requirements for space between games for MSU. If needed, play a doubleheader on back to back days in Iowa City in the future. Some of the smaller conferences are going this route to cut down on travel.
I can almost agree with this but it would punish Iowa in that THEY would have to play back to back games. No way would they make MI State play and travel on the same day. So I think it should be at least a day in between.

No one wants to be the exception.

Of course. I don't mean to minimize what is happening, and won't. As others have said. determining public health policy is all about mitigating risk. I am of the opinion that we have been led very poorly by political leaders on both sides with the fantasy that all COVID deaths could just be eliminated only if we citizens would just listen more to our leaders and comply more. That is cruel and just a flat-out lie.

Of course. I don't mean to minimize what is happening, and won't. As others have said. determining public health policy is all about mitigating risk. I am of the opinion that we have been led very poorly by political leaders on both sides with the fantasy that all COVID deaths could just be eliminated only if we citizens would just listen more to our leaders and comply more. That is cruel and just a flat-out lie.
While there has been misinformation, I don't think anyone in the CDC or NIH ever said that Covid-19 deaths could be eliminated. What I have read is that the curve could be flattened somewhat, and that proved to be true. Unfortunately we in the USA seem to get lax about gatherings ever so often causing the death/infection curves to go back up. We are in a surge again, probably because of Xmas/New Years.

Reactions: Mohawkeye and KcTo
I do like Michigan State ducking Iowa. Duke wanting to duck the season. Kentucky? It's nice to be looking down on the um..........blueboods? It's Great to be a Hawkeye!

Is the basketball court a covid free zone because they are a bit closer than 6 ft. . Does the covid only attack when your mask is up because it seems the mask is taken down a lot in sports. Do the fans who are spread out in the stands stay that way when the leave the venue? It amazes me how people dont see the stupidity in all of this. Btw, people are getting it in spite of wearing masks so thay are useles.Unless you wear a mask like a surgeon wears one, useless

Fine. Have Izzo just forfeit since we all know what was coming. This game better get made up so we can print regular season champs shirts like Iowa St. and not be .5 back of Michigan.

Is the basketball court a covid free zone because they are a bit closer than 6 ft. . Does the covid only attack when your mask is up because it seems the mask is taken down a lot in sports. Do the fans who are spread out in the stands stay that way when the leave the venue? It amazes me how people dont see the stupidity in all of this. Btw, people are getting it in spite of wearing masks so thay are useles.Unless you wear a mask like a surgeon wears one, useless

The social distancing thing is a "when possible" precaution that additionally lowers risk. Masks are always possible, and they're far better because they stop the particles from entering the air to begin with. Sneezes are explosive, so any reduction in its travel is dramatically lowering airborne virus emitted.

One thing I will sympathize with is that not all masks are equal, but people act like they are. Some thin fabric mask isn't going to do much and it would be pretty hard to police the types of masks people wear or require N95.

Reactions: Nohawknamesleft
japan
population 125 Mil
cases 286,752
deaths 4,044

USA
population 330 Mil
cases 23 Million 314 thousand 663
deaths 388,705

whatever the **** we did or didnt do....has not worked so good...end of story
maybe Japan has less old people o_O

Japan:
Homogeneous population
Society over individual
Respect for authority
Trust in government

USA:
Disparate population
Individualism is prized above all else
Rejection of authority
Distrust of government

We will never perform well in pandemic conditions,. doesn't matter who is in charge...

(edit: I know this is the basketball board but I just had to respond...)

Japan:
Homogeneous population
Society over individual
Respect for authority
Trust in government

USA:
Disparate population
Individualism is prized above all else
Rejection of authority
Distrust of government

We will never perform well in pandemic conditions,. doesn't matter who is in charge...

(edit: I know this is the basketball board but I just had to respond...)
Only thing I disagree with is we could perform well in a pandemic if we wanted to.
signed Pollyanna

Masks are part of what should be layers of defense. First layer and most effective is social distancing, which isn't always possible. Outside is better than inside, if you must meet with others. Second layer is masks, but it is important to understand that the mask you are wearing is primarily to keep you from spreading to others, although it provides you some protection. It is up to those around you to give you the same level of defense and respect, or your mask will be much less effective. Masks need to be worn appropriately, and some are a lot better than others. Third layer is thoroughly washing your hands often, especially after being in a public place. I always carry some clorox wipes in my hands when I am shopping etc, to minimize what stays on my hands. A fourth layer can also be to wipe down anything brought into your living area from a public area, or just leave it set for a day or two away from where you are, if it isn't perishable. Also, you might want to change clothes and either dispose of or wash your mask. Finally, and this shows you how careful this old man tries to be, I usually gargle after I come home from a place where I couldn't keep away from others.

The more of these things that you consistently do, the less your chance of catching the virus. It should be a team effort, and those who don't do their job add risk to both themselves and others.

Last edited:
Reactions: KcTo
While there has been misinformation, I don't think anyone in the CDC or NIH ever said that Covid-19 deaths could be eliminated. What I have read is that the curve could be flattened somewhat, and that proved to be true. Unfortunately we in the USA seem to get lax about gatherings ever so often causing the death/infection curves to go back up. We are in a surge again, probably because of Xmas/New Years.
[/QUOT
Masks are part of what should be layers of defense. First layer and most effective is social distancing, which isn't always possible. Outside is better than inside, if you must meet with others. Second layer is masks, but it is important to understand that the mask you are wearing is primarily to keep you from spreading to others, although it provides you some protection. It is up to those around you to give you the same level of defense and respect, or your mask will be much less effective. Masks need to be worn appropriately, and some are a lot better than others. Third layer is thoroughly washing your hands often, especially after being in a public place. I always carry some clorox wipes in my hands when I am shopping etc, to minimize what stays on my hands. A fourth layer can also be to wipe down anything brought into your living area from a public area, or just leave it set for a day or two away from where you are, if it isn't perishable. Also, you might want to change clothes and either dispose of or wash your mask. Finally, and this shows you how careful this old man tries to be, I usually gargle after I come how from a place where I couldn't keep away from others.

The more of these things that you consistently do, the less your chance of catching the virus. It should be a team effort, and those who don't do their job add risk to both themselves and others.
these all work together for mitigation and make sense...
sitive
when i enter grocery store, hardware store, pharmacy, gas station, doctors office, hair salon. I ask myself, if we swabbed each place with 100 different surfaces, how many would come back with a positive?

I bet they would all come back with some positive surfaces, and in my view, it is this fingers to mouth invisible transmission will cause most transmission

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT