ADVERTISEMENT

Murin vs Red

Grip220

HR Heisman
Mar 23, 2014
Babylonia parts unknown
I have Watched this match 5 or 6 times now and Red is to quick for Murin and he does a good job of hand fighting. Murin was caught reaching both for collar ties and with telegraphed shots and that’s where Red did his work. He waited for Max to come in worked an inside collar and thumb blocked or controlled a wrist.

After Red had his inside tie established he faked it caught Max reaching and hit an easy outside single after that he just countered when Max reached for a double. He could have had a few more takedowns but Max’s defense stopped him a few times. The closest Max came to a takedown was in the third when Red was just hanging on a two on one but max could not free his hand.

So I’m thinking if we meet him at the BiGs or nationals how do we beat him?

This may sound crazy, but
I think we have to slow our pursuit in this case, be more cautious like how Lugo used to wrestle and take him into deep waters. The grind of the tournament will be in Max’s advantage and he will be able get to his legs easier in the third after Red has wrestled a few matches.

It will be tough for Max to change his style but it will be needed to beat Red. Max has to be more precise with his shots and stop reaching for ties and snaps. I think waiting for Red to come in will throw him off his game instead of a constant pursuit like Max usually wrestles. Keep it as low scoring as possible and then pour it on in the third.

Last edited:
This why I responded in the 14 days of action thread by saying -
We will learn quickly how promising Nationals will look.
I wasn't buying all the early hype as I knew we hadn't faced real stiff competitrion yet. Some but not enough yet.

I’m sure most fans didn’t realistically see Murin as an NCAA finalist. Pletcher and Lee are a level above him. Red is beatable, but a tough matchup. Murin can get on the podium but probably in the 5-7 range. As long as he doesn’t lay an egg we’ll be fine.
Yes I agree, I’m just talking about Red because it could the difference between a 3-4 and 7-8 spots and as you stated as long as he does not lay and egg.

Whatever Murin’s seed is at NCAAs, I expect him to outperform it. He’s conditioned for tournament wrestling, not duals. And I think he could beat Red deep at NCAAs, if they find themselves facing each other.

Grip is right, Red was able to set Murin up for some easy takedowns. Pretty confident that Murin will make the necessary adjustments to keep it a tight match. hopefully this plays out in Murin’s favor, given his cardio.

I don't think many, if any, on HR thought Max was a favorite to reach the finals. He has improved in his ability to finish shots, which should mean more points in March, which is significant.

The two at the top are going to be tough to beat and in a league of their own. I think both Red and Max are in the 2nd tier, with Red being at the top and Max down the list a little.

I agree with Grip. Not a coach, so don't shoot me for these opinions if they sound off, but imo, Max is improved, but is still pretty 1 dimensional, he needs to maximize his strengths, using Russian ties more and increasing his snap down counts. He did some of each of these, but 1 or 2 snap downs is not enough to wear down Red. 5 or 6 snap downs before the end of the 2nd period should start to impact the match. In addition to this, he needs to get out of his comfort zone and look for better angles on his shots. Straight on single leg shots from distance and duck-unders happening at the speed of smell are not going to work on Red. Get out to the side and shoot, wear him down and use an explosive blast double, anything that forces Red to move his feet AND throw him off balance at the same time. Moran beat Red, so I know Max can too, but he has to be in control of the pace, which is easier said than done.

Whatever Murin’s seed is at NCAAs, I expect him to outperform it. He’s conditioned for tournament wrestling, not duals. And I think he could beat Red deep at NCAAs, if they find themselves facing each other.

Grip is right, Red was able to set Murin up for some easy takedowns. Pretty confident that Murin will make the necessary adjustments to keep it a tight match. hopefully this plays out in Murin’s favor, given his cardio.

The seeding for Murin will be huge. Last year he wrestled 4 B10 wrestlers at NCAAS and went 2-2. He beat Moran and Carr, but lost to Lee and Red in the blood round 4–1. There is a lot of rock, paper, scissors matchups here. Max will have a hard time beating Lee, Pletcher, Red and Demas. He can beat everyone else (including McKee). I know the coaching staff strives for 10 national champs, but as fans if Max is in the 5th place match, that’s a win for the Hawks.

Red is a bad match-up for Murin because he's so slick and explosive. BUT he's already lost 4 times this season, 14 times last season, and 32 times in his career. He can be beaten when opponent:
  • Doesn't telegraph shots and doesn't shoot straight in (and doesn't take bad shots generally--re-shots are Red's bread and butter)
  • Doesn't stand flat-footed (can react quickly to Red's shots)
  • Does heavy snaps, is crisp on shots and fast on finishes
  • Cuts the corner and cradles him from his shot (Moran from WI did it to him twice)
  • Turns him with the Spencer Lee NF move
  • Keeps it close (for lesser-ranked opponents)--Red doesn't typically run up the score, can ride a whole period with no urgency to cut; often content to stall when ahead by a point or two
I think Murin needs to figure out how to turn him from the top. Channel some Spencer Lee. I'm not sure Murin will ever win the takedown game with him, so he needs to neutralize that weakness and get points from somewhere else.

I don't think many, if any, on HR thought Max was a favorite to reach the finals. He has improved in his ability to finish shots, which should mean more points in March, which is significant.

The two at the top are going to be tough to beat and in a league of their own. I think both Red and Max are in the 2nd tier, with Red being at the top and Max down the list a little.

I agree with Grip. Not a coach, so don't shoot me for these opinions if they sound off, but imo, Max is improved, but is still pretty 1 dimensional, he needs to maximize his strengths, using Russian ties more and increasing his snap down counts. He did some of each of these, but 1 or 2 snap downs is not enough to wear down Red. 5 or 6 snap downs before the end of the 2nd period should start to impact the match. In addition to this, he needs to get out of his comfort zone and look for better angles on his shots. Straight on single leg shots from distance and duck-unders happening at the speed of smell are not going to work on Red. Get out to the side and shoot, wear him down and use an explosive blast double, anything that forces Red to move his feet AND throw him off balance at the same time. Moran beat Red, so I know Max can too, but he has to be in control of the pace, which is easier said than done.

Really like the Russian tie idea. But can Max get to it without going to a collar tie first? When he is reaching for that collar is when he seems to get in trouble. But that is very coachable and something he can get out of. If coaches have successfully coached their kids to wrestle with their left arm behind their back, then Max can adjust to Reds style.

I also agree Neo on the angles and get out to the side and shooting. If he is going to shoot those long straight on doubles without bringing his hips with him, he is going to get in trouble, although that theory isn't limited to just when is wrestling Red.

What do you mean they didn’t listen to us?:)

I finally feel like they are listening to me. Like I have a hotline into the bowels of CHA...
This how I feel, When I talk TnT listen! It’s not like I type all this crap for my health or something, I’m not self medicating when all this knowledge is pouring out, this is serious business.o_O

Last edited:
Reactions: el dub and TarpHawk
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT