next week's schedule:
(0-1) Northwestern ~bye week~
(1-0) Iowa hosts (1-0) Rutgers
(1-0) Minnesota @ (0-1) Fresno State
(1-0) Wisconsin hosts (1-0) Central Michigan
(1-0) Nebraska @ (1-0) Colorado
(1-0) Illinois @ (1-0) Connecticut
(0-1) Purdue hosts (0-1) Vanderbilt

I'm keeping Northwestern #1 because the games that matter are conference games.
Iowa #2 because nobody in the West has a longer win streak (4 games)
Minnesota #3 because they have a longer win streak (3 games) than #4 Wisconsin (2 games)
Nebraska #5... I don't think anybody will argue this
Illinois #6... they are undefeated
Purdue #7... they have yet to win

obviously things change... that's life... but for right now... this is what I got.

one thing a little interesting to me is... only 8 teams in the FBS have a longer win streak than Iowa.
I watched every Big Ten West team play this last week, except Illinois.
and based solely on what I saw... it looks to me like Iowa and Wisconsin are the 2 best teams.

but again... things change... that's life.

1. Northwestern 0-1
2. Iowa 1-0
3. Minnesota 1-0
4. Wisconsin 1-0
5. Nebraska 1-0
6. Illinois 1-0
7. Purdue 0-1

this week's results:
Northwestern loses to Stanford
Iowa beats Miami (OH)
Minnesota beats South Dakota State
Wisconsin beats South Florida
Nebraska beats South Alabama
Illinois beats Akron
Purdue loses to Nevada

next week's schedule:

Minnesota #3 because they have a longer win streak (3 games) than #4 Wisconsin (2 games)

obviously things change... that's life... but for right now... this is what I got.

one thing a little interesting to me is... only 8 teams in the FBS have a longer win streak than Iowa.
and based solely on what I saw... it looks to me like Iowa and Wisconsin are the 2 best teams.

Did you watch NW by chance? They looked like trash

1. Northwestern 0-1
2. Iowa 1-0
3. Minnesota 1-0
4. Wisconsin 1-0
5. Nebraska 1-0
6. Illinois 1-0
7. Purdue 0-1

this week's results:
Northwestern loses to Stanford
Iowa beats Miami (OH)
Minnesota beats South Dakota State
Wisconsin beats South Florida
Nebraska beats South Alabama
Illinois beats Akron
Purdue loses to Nevada

next week's schedule:

So based on what you saw this weekend, you think Wisconsin is the fourth-best team in the west? You may want to seek professional help.

Edit-are you Tommy from Des Moines?

I don't think northwestern looked that bad. They had chances to win in the 4th. That qb draw on 3rd and long killed any momentum but they were there until then.

I voted Wisconsin. Until someone beats them, they are just better.

NW is in a tough situation with their QB position. The highly ranked transfer got yanked and Trent Green’s boy played pretty well but now he’s possibly out for the rest of the year. That shiny new transfer has a lot to learn between now and then and I don’t know what if anything they have behind him if he sputters again. No way in hell I’d slot them at #1 now considering all those unknowns.

1a. Iowa
1b. Wisconsin
3a. Nebraska
3b. Purdue
5. Northwestern
6. Minnesota
7. Illinois

With only 1 week as a sample it's still hard to tell what each team has but so far I see Iowa and Wisconsin a step above the rest. The increasing ability for Iowa to spread teams out and hurt them with the pass gives them the edge over Wisconsin in my opinion.

The only thing keeping Nebraska and Purdue ahead of Northwestern is a disruptive defense and the ability to score in different phases of the game. Northwestern played the best opponent and had to do so on the road but I just wasn't impressed by them at all. Things can and will change but I think people underestimate just how important Thorson was for them. Hunter Johnson has arm talent but his situation is quite a bit different than guys like Fields at Ohio State and Hurts at OU.

Minnesota will play better but I'm not buying into Fleck. They have the schedule to surprise some people but I see them losing to everyone in the West outside of Illinois.

With only one week to watch this was tough. My Husker's super duper fancy special incredible offense laid a huge egg but the defense and special teams were surprising. Iowa started slow but squeezed the life out of Miami. Wisconsin and Stewart are still running...Rondale Moore will give Purdue a chance in every game this year...

Side note

I don't watch a lot of Iowa games but thought your stadium/atmosphere looked like a friggin blast last night. I hope you guys play more and more night games going foward!

On to week 2...

Tough to make any declarative statements after week one, but my big takeaway was definitely how sorry Northwestern looked. I hold Fitz in high regard and know his teams get better throughout the year... but damn. He better coach his ass off this year.

Agreed - NW missed a lot of open-field tackles, which really hurt them at key moments in the game, but the reason they scared me coming into the season was that this Hunter JOHNSON transfer from Clemson was supposed to be even better than Clayton Thorson. Not even close, from what I saw.

Reactions: Dreinhart
WI and Iowa are 1/2 right now IMO. NW looked like crap on O, but they tend to figure things out. And their D kept them in the game against a good team. I have them 3. Illinois is much improved, period. Their D added talent and gained experience. Their QB is a legitimate talent and they can run the ball; ILL is my 4. Nebraska looks shaky on D, again, and that alone means they will lose a few games and not threaten in the West. NEB is 5. Purdue and Minn both have QB1 and defensive issues. Not that they won't win some games, but title contenders they are not.

Reactions: mrF6n6
Wisconsin has the toughest B10 schedule and may not win the west due to that but i have thought they were the best b10 team all year. Heres my rankings before the season, still the same.

1. Wisconsin
2. Iowa
3. Northwestern
4.Nebraska- easiest schedule may get them bit higher.
5.Purdue
6. Minnesota- not buying their hype.

7. Illinois- They suck.

I don’t feel a ranking should be given after the first game. Need more data, and it is said that the biggest improvement comes between week 1 & 2.

Obvious observation: Only two losses for the B1G this weekend...both in the West. :(

Limited data but my first guess is

1. Wisconsin
————————-
Wide Gap
————————
2. Iowa
3. Northwestern
4. Nebraska
5. Illinois
6. Purdue
7. Minnesota

Reactions: SDHawkDoc

1. Wisconsin
————————-
Wide Gap
————————
2. Iowa
3. Northwestern
4. Nebraska
5. Illinois
6. Purdue
7. Minnesota

I would close the gap between 1 and 2 and swap 4 and 5. Lovie is calling plays on defense for the first time. They will be sound there. Transfer QB gives them a chance.

I voted Iowa. I know Wisconsin looked impressive, but no one at this point knows how good any of these non conference teams are, maybe with the exception of Stanford. South Florida might not be very good, same with Miami of Ohio, I like the talent we have and we always get better, so I am happy with where the Hawks are.

Pretty much impossible to draw conclusions in the first week as I suspect this will look completely different in a couple weeks. However, this is a message board for cfb fans and entertainment, so I will play along. Also, did anyone actually watch Illinois? They might be dangerous this year.

1. Wisconsin
2a. Iowa
2b. Illinois
3. Minnesota
4. Nebraska
5. Purdue
6. Northwestern

The bottom 4 can flipped around, but I gave Nebraska and Minnesota the nod as they won their games. IMO, based on the first week, Wisconsin is the clear #1 and Iowa and Illinois looked much better than the rest. Granted, I think northwestern, Purdue and Nebraska will look much better in the coming weeks. Not buying Minnesota hype.

1a. Iowa
1b. Wisconsin
3a. Nebraska
3b. Purdue
5. Northwestern
6. Minnesota
7. Illinois

With only 1 week as a sample it's still hard to tell what each team has but so far I see Iowa and Wisconsin a step above the rest. The increasing ability for Iowa to spread teams out and hurt them with the pass gives them the edge over Wisconsin in my opinion.

The only thing keeping Nebraska and Purdue ahead of Northwestern is a disruptive defense and the ability to score in different phases of the game. Northwestern played the best opponent and had to do so on the road but I just wasn't impressed by them at all. Things can and will change but I think people underestimate just how important Thorson was for them. Hunter Johnson has arm talent but his situation is quite a bit different than guys like Fields at Ohio State and Hurts at OU.

Minnesota will play better but I'm not buying into Fleck. They have the schedule to surprise some people but I see them losing to everyone in the West outside of Illinois.

With only one week to watch this was tough. My Husker's super duper fancy special incredible offense laid a huge egg but the defense and special teams were surprising. Iowa started slow but squeezed the life out of Miami. Wisconsin and Stewart are still running...Rondale Moore will give Purdue a chance in every game this year...

Side note

I don't watch a lot of Iowa games but thought your stadium/atmosphere looked like a friggin blast last night. I hope you guys play more and more night games going foward!

On to week 2...
Martinez looked rusty. I'm sure he'll shake it off. Not trying to be a broken record, but he's going to take some huge hits this year.

Reactions: Dreinhart
WI and Iowa are 1/2 right now IMO. NW looked like crap on O, but they tend to figure things out. And their D kept them in the game against a good team. I have them 3. Illinois is much improved, period. Their D added talent and gained experience. Their QB is a legitimate talent and they can run the ball; ILL is my 4. Nebraska looks shaky on D, again, and that alone means they will lose a few games and not threaten in the West. NEB is 5. Purdue and Minn both have QB1 and defensive issues. Not that they won't win some games, but title contenders they are not.
Purdues QB had a heck of a game and the defense was a strength? At least I thought so. Defense became a weakness after playing the entire second half. They were lights out in the first half. As was sindelar. Not saying Purdue is the greatest, but the defense is much much better than last year.

But I agree. Purdue isn't contending this year. Probably next year. This year is the Wisconsin and Iowa show.

1) Wisconsin AINEC
2) Iowa
3) Northwestern
4) Nebraska
5) Illinois (Probably 1 week only}
6) Minnesota
7. Purdue

If you're being serious and basing it on how teams looked and removing any prior bias (like Illinois sucking for a decade),

Wisconsin
Illinois
Iowa
Nebraska
Miny
NW
Purdue

Reactions: HumbleP1e

1. Wisconsin
————————-
Wide Gap
————————
2. Iowa
3. Northwestern
4. Nebraska
5. Illinois
6. Purdue
7. Minnesota

To date, I agree with this projection

1. Wisconsin
————————-
Wide Gap
————————
2. Iowa
3. Northwestern
4. Nebraska
5. Illinois
6. Purdue
7. Minnesota
I would probably leave Wisc at the top, because they've earned it until someone takes it away. I just don't see the wide gap thing though. Last year was a great game which Iowa should have won, and I don't think they have improved any more then Iowa. Yes, we still have some things to shore up, but so do they, like almost every other team at this point. Not concerned about playing at the Badger hole either. We've one there before, and there is no reason to think we can't do it again.

Pretty much impossible to draw conclusions in the first week as I suspect this will look completely different in a couple weeks. However, this is a message board for cfb fans and entertainment, so I will play along. Also, did anyone actually watch Illinois? They might be dangerous this year.

1. Wisconsin
2a. Iowa
2b. Illinois
3. Minnesota
4. Nebraska
5. Purdue
6. Northwestern

The bottom 4 can flipped around, but I gave Nebraska and Minnesota the nod as they won their games. IMO, based on the first week, Wisconsin is the clear #1 and Iowa and Illinois looked much better than the rest. Granted, I think northwestern, Purdue and Nebraska will look much better in the coming weeks. Not buying Minnesota hype.
Lets let the Illini play someone with a pulse a couple weeks in a row, before we start calling them a contender OK? If Lovie finishes as high as 3rd in the west, he'll probably be BIG coach of the year.

wisky

next line
Iowa-neb-nw
half step
illanoy
half step
minny
half step
pu

It's about as permanent as a sand castle on an ocean beach at this point after only 1 game.

Purdues QB had a heck of a game and the defense was a strength? At least I thought so. Defense became a weakness after playing the entire second half. They were lights out in the first half. As was sindelar. Not saying Purdue is the greatest, but the defense is much much better than last year.

But I agree. Purdue isn't contending this year. Probably next year. This year is the Wisconsin and Iowa show.
We are all on the overreaction watchlist. IF Purdue doesn't shit the bed, we're all putting them 2nd or 3rd. NW may have just gone toe to toe with the PAC 12 champ.

I'm not annointing Illinois with anything, but they are better this year regardless of where they finish. We cannot think of them as what they have been any more.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT