ADVERTISEMENT

My Initial Thoughts-FWIW

24Hawkeye7

All-Conference
Jul 20, 2015
125: My ONLY thing: Lee could integrate more pinning combos vs. tilts
133: I believe Desanto's emotions got the best of him and that he was more afraid of getting pinned in Carver than his knee was actually an issue...
edit to support suspicion: https://www.hawkcentral.com/story/s...-have-continued-after-knee-injury/4631067002/
141: I may be ignorant on the topic, but where is Murin?
149: One word: consistent
157: Wasn't Young scoring more points last year?
165: What. A. Match. I love watching those two wrestle... Joseph came out on top in this one
174: MVP.
184: Brooks has a bigger arsenal at this point(?) but am looking forward to the rematch.
197: Co-MVP... I hope this is what Warner needed for his confidence going forward
HWT: Big A** CASS!

Last edited:
It’s interesting you say that about desanto, because that went through my mind as well. I felt like he might have known he was in on a beautiful shot but RBY countered it nicely and had him in danger twice. However, I’m sure he was hurting too.

It’s interesting you say that about desanto, because that went through my mind as well. I felt like he might have known he was in on a beautiful shot but RBY countered it nicely and had him in danger twice. However, I’m sure he was hurting too.
I agree with this. I believe that Desanto may have been hurting. But given his track record I believe it was more his emotions than his knee, especially on the second cradle

Yepp I agree. Clearly was injured. On the replay I can swear that RBY pulls his leg to the side on purpose. Didn’t look like a wrestling move. Looked pretty dirty to me...
Look, you guys can obviously have differing opinions-we'll find out more going forward. These were initial thoughts after a wild dual... No need for insults

Reactions: andegre
133: I believe Desanto's emotions got the best of him and that he was more afraid of getting pinned in Carver than his knee was actually an issue.

So he accepted an injury default which cost the same as a pin.
If you can't understand the difference outside of the points, then I can't help you

I agree with this. I believe that Desanto may have been hurting. But given his track record I believe it was more his emotions than his knee, especially on the second cradle

bullshit. If he said he could not go, he could not.
Terry called it in the first stoppage.

if Terry brands says your hurt, screw your armchair coaching. He is hurt.

DeSanto was on his back for nearly a minute in the ISU dual last season. You guys are insane if you think he cried off to avoid getting pinned.
Tom Brands:
“I don’t know how much he’s been injured like this," Brands said. "I think he maybe could have handled that a little bit differently, being calmer on the mat."

“I think if we could have gotten him calmed down a little bit, we could have gotten back in that match."

bullshit. If he said he could not go, he could not.
Terry called it in the first stoppage.

if Terry brands says your hurt, screw your armchair coaching. He is hurt.
Tom Brands:
“I don’t know how much he’s been injured like this," Brands said. "I think he maybe could have handled that a little bit differently, being calmer on the mat.

“I think if we could have gotten him calmed down a little bit, we could have gotten back in that match."

As a Penn State fan watching, my first reaction was bullshit. He's just getting out of trouble. But when he defaulted, I knew it was legit. It makes no sense to give up 6 in a huge duel. He would lose the team for doing that. He's too much of a warrior to do that to his team. Just hope for the best about his health. Injuries are what I hate most about this sport.

As a Penn State fan watching, my first reaction was bullshit. He's just getting out of trouble. But when he defaulted, I knew it was legit. It makes no sense to give up 6 in a huge duel. He would lose the team for doing that. He's too much of a warrior to do that to his team. Just hope for the best about his health. Injuries are what I hate most about this sport.
Read above post...

Tom Brands:
“I don’t know how much he’s been injured like this," Brands said. "I think he maybe could have handled that a little bit differently, being calmer on the mat."

Austin panicking and thinking he tore something when he hasn't isn't the same as crying out because he was put into a bad position.

Reactions: UndercoverHawk
133 - Desanto had his leg pulled out by his heel at an angle opposite to the knee that put too much pressure on it which allowed RBY the leverage to put the first cradle on as AD just fell back out of position. The second one he may have been able to fight through but it might have been too much...who knows.
141 - we need a healthy Murin and going against Lee tonight would not have been smart, I believe he is still healing his shoulder?
149 - Lugo should have whooped his a** but as you said 'consistent'
157 - I would love to see Young chain wrestle at some point, offensively he has the wrestling equivalent of writers block
184 - Proud of Assad, Brooks is a machine and very hard to score on, he'll get better and close the gap defensively, just need to identify and take advantage of Brook's weaknesses (not sure what they are?)
197 - see 157 to a larger extent, his offense is stored in a box in some public storage unit and I'm waiting for him to cancel that contract and get it back. That young man does battle but would love to see chain wrestling from him as well. Low singles every now and then rarely work when that's all you have and can easily be countered.

Kemdawg my OW with Cass second. I honestly had more confidence in Kem beating Hall than Cass beating Nevills. Great battle between two great programs and happy the Hawks won...the biggest thing that I probably got out of this dual is that I've become really impressed and a big fan of Aaron Brooks and the future is unlimited for that young man, he'll make PSU fans proud, though I do hope Assad catches up. (Aaack, yes a fan of a PSU wrestler while he's still with the program)

Reactions: 24Hawkeye7
If you read social media, most of the wrestling world agrees with 24Hawkeye

Just because a gang of people are loud doesn’t mean they’re right. If he gets pinned he gets pinned. That’s wrestling. He didn’t, he was hurt. He didn’t handle that well and it got the best of him. If that’s the case you want to make then I’m fine with that, but he was hurt...physically. The reason people question him is because it’s Austin DeSanto and he has a history. I say give the kid a break and look at how far he’s come in the past two years. If he’s hurt, take it for what it’s worth.

I don't have a subscription to that, but I do to the Gazette.
IOWA CITY, Ia. — Second-ranked Austin DeSanto is unlikely to travel to Iowa's Sunday dual at Michigan State, head coach Tom Brands said Friday after the 133-pounder suffered what appeared to be a painful knee injury during the Hawkeyes' 19-17 win against Penn State.

Beyond that, Brands didn't have specific updates about the seriousness of DeSanto's injury that occurred in his bout against No. 3 Roman Bravo-Young.

“I don’t get too worked up about this stuff until we know a lot more," Brands said. "That’s where I’m at now.”

DeSanto was lying flat on his back in anguish in the first period after an early scramble. The high-octane junior tried to continue but ultimately looked over at his coaches and said, “I can’t go.” The match was a medical forfeit, worth six team points for Penn State.

Brands later said Paul Glynn would replace him at 133 on the trip to Michigan State. It could be seen as good news that DeSanto rejoined his teammates mat side late in the dual. He was not wearing any protective wrap or brace around his knee, but he was limping.

“I don’t know how much he’s been injured like this," Brands said. "I think he maybe could have handled that a little bit differently, being calmer on the mat.

I agree with this 100% unfortunately. He’s going to have to continue working on things between the ears and he’s shown progress thus far. I’m confident he will learn from this.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT