ADVERTISEMENT

NW grades

IRONBIRD

HR MVP
Dec 2, 2010
I will give this a shot

125 LEE gets an Awesome! Not much more can be said!

133 Cullan C I guess? He does not appear to be our answer at 133 moving forward if we want team NC.

141 Woods A came out like a freak, beat down of #6!!! faded some. Coming off injury I am sure played a part. Like what I am seeing!

149 Murin C for Crap!!! the yaHa kid was basically standing straight up for much of the match. He is daring you to shoot. SHOOT!!!!! if you can not get a takedown when your opponent is doing this? Guess what, you don't have a great chance at beating him. People are defined by what they DO, not what they say they will do. L o n g interview with Murin, a lot of talk about scoring points. Freaking SHOOT!!!

157 Cobe, got to give him an A for beating #9! Gets him into the possible AA conversation, good 4 him!

165 Kennedy B Looked just OK, another guy coming off something so cut some slack. Will need to wrestle much better to AA at this weight!That does bring me to, Is there ANYONE in our line up not dinged up!?!?!? I mean, tape, knee sleeves, shoulders, wrestlers out .....

174 Brands another B again looked OK. May also still be hurting the way it appears to me?

184 Assad B+ Bonused an unranked guy, kept wrestling pushing till the end.

197 Zach C for trying, another-this is not our answer at 97 moving forward. Just not getting the lack of development in both ability and size and strength. This is not only about him either !!!

Hvy BIG Cass Not TWOOO sure how you grade this maybe A for beating the guy ranked right behind you? Maybe B for you need to open the gap a little and get a 1st period TD/ not give up the leg so easy on a snatch single???

Thought the REFs were good

Don't know if Carver was packed?

Last edited:
125 - A
I thought Deaugustino fought well. And it tells you how good Lee is when he has back-to-back first period pins against top ranked guys and a)we are still wondering if he is 100%, and b)everyone is pretty impressed with the fight in the guys who got pinned.

133 - inc
We will get no points at this weight at Nationals

141 - A
Stud mode in the first. It’s nice to have a guy who can score from on top against ranked guys.

149 - C
He’s a hard worker, but by 2019 he reached his potential.

157 - B
Solid win. We don’t often get pleasantly surprised by a guy who’s been around this long.

165 - C
Low energy, plodding match. The PK we saw last night won’t score five points at Nats

174 - C
He is who he is.

184 - C
Disappointing effort against a low-level guy

197 - B
He gave it a good effort against a quality opponent

HWT - B
He was lucky to escape with the win. But he did get the win.

125 - A
I thought Deaugustino fought well. And it tells you how good Lee is when he has back-to-back first period pins against top ranked guys and a)we are still wondering if he is 100%, and b)everyone is pretty impressed with the fight in the guys who got pinned.

133 - inc
We will get no points at this weight at Nationals

141 - A
Stud mode in the first. It’s nice to have a guy who can score from on top against ranked guys.

149 - C
He’s a hard worker, but by 2019 he reached his potential.

157 - B
Solid win. We don’t often get pleasantly surprised by a guy who’s been around this long.

165 - C
Low energy, plodding match. The PK we saw last night won’t score five points at Nats

174 - C
He is who he is.

184 - C
Disappointing effort against a low-level guy

197 - B
He gave it a good effort against a quality opponent

HWT - B
He was lucky to escape with the win. But he did get the win.
Fair assessment.

Real also deserves an A for apparently being the first Hawkeye in Lee’s six years here to say, “Hey, Spence, can you show me how you do that reinforced arm bar tilt?”
To be fair it's not like it something no one else would try. I do think it will be a series that will be taught to young wrestlers but the reason Spencer is so successful at it is mostly Spencer is amazingly strong fast and flexible. Spencer Lee is a freak.

Schriever should get an "A" for every match he doesn't get bonused.

Can't finish shots and can't get escapes.

Apparently the Hawk's days of having good backups are over.

Reactions: KYHWKY
To be fair it's not like it something no one else would try. I do think it will be a series that will be taught to young wrestlers but the reason Spencer is so successful at it is mostly Spencer is amazingly strong fast and flexible. Spencer Lee is a freak.
All true. But there are multiple ways to turn an opponent with that series. I used it all through high school but was never taught the easiest way to get a guy to his beck from there. And that roll-through is the one favored by SL. I would block with knee and stack or break down and force over the other way. His tuck and roll is pretty much unstoppable. I just never thought of going to my back first.

Cass should learn that one. His opponent that stalled out fought like crazy to get his own arm into a place SL lives for. The cross wrist ride.

Last edited:
Reactions: artradley
i know it's what we do here, but when i see a grades thread, i see guys who really wanted to wrestle for iowa and just were not good enough. so everyone that isn't lincoln or ironside gets pounded.when they are good or when they are bad they are still our team.show some respect.

133 - C Hope it falls together for this kid at some point but right now I hope to see Teske wrestling here in the post season
141 - A+ I was not expecting him to wrestle so turned the whole night around for me. He's looking really good in black and gold
149 - B Max is going to have to wrestle this guy again I'm sure. He kept it close and to me it's always going to be a match he could win or lose. Max is who he is. Would be a star on a lot of teams
157 - A super aggressive and took it to a guy above his ranking. Don't know if we can ride this horse all year but its fun to watch
165 - B Not exactly bad but not exactly inspiring.
174 - B See 165
184- A- Abe looking good going to need to him down the stretch
197 C Would have been a golden opportunity for Zach but to me he wrestled sloppy.
285 - A Good to see Cass go to deep water. Don't know if he beats this get 2 more times or not this year.
125 - A no points past the 1st period again for Spencer.

Can't see 149 getting a B. He lost, in his typical fashion. And could/should have won
Show little til the end. As stated in earlier posts, he talks a good " gotta open up and be more offensive" line all of the time. But then rarely carries it out unless vs inferior records. That gets you off the podium in March if you won't be offensive vs all comers. Hope he can turn it on in at tournament time and not wrestle what I consider to be typical Max

Real also deserves an A for apparently being the first Hawkeye in Lee’s six years here to say, “Hey, Spence, can you show me how you do that reinforced arm bar tilt?”
Doesn’t Warner hit that occasionally? Or is it another tilt? I’m going off memory, which isn’t super reliable

Nelson has to be angry at himself that he got to that offense too late. Let it fly like that just a minute earlier and you’re looking at bonus points.

I will give this a shot

125 LEE gets an Awesome! Not much more can be said!

133 Cullan C I guess? He does not appear to be our answer at 133 moving forward if we want team NC.

141 Woods A came out like a freak, beat down of #6!!! faded some. Coming off injury I am sure played a part. Like what I am seeing!

149 Murin C for Crap!!! the yaHa kid was basically standing straight up for much of the match. He is daring you to shoot. SHOOT!!!!! if you can not get a takedown when your opponent is doing this? Guess what, you don't have a great chance at beating him. People are defined by what they DO, not what they say they will do. L o n g interview with Murin, a lot of talk about scoring points. Freaking SHOOT!!!

157 Cobe, got to give him an A for beating #9! Gets him into the possible AA conversation, good 4 him!

165 Kennedy B Looked just OK, another guy coming off something so cut some slack. Will need to wrestle much better to AA at this weight!That does bring me to, Is there ANYONE in our line up not dinged up!?!?!? I mean, tape, knee sleeves, shoulders, wrestlers out .....

174 Brands another B again looked OK. May also still be hurting the way it appears to me?

184 Assad B+ Bonused an unranked guy, kept wrestling pushing till the end.

197 Zach C for trying, another-this is not our answer at 97 moving forward. Just not getting the lack of development in both ability and size and strength. This is not only about him either !!!

Hvy BIG Cass Not TWOOO sure how you grade this maybe A for beating the guy ranked right behind you? Maybe B for you need to open the gap a little and get a 1st period TD/ not give up the leg so easy on a snatch single???

Thought the REFs were good

Don't know if Carver was packed?
I concur with everything you said...Murin is definitely a C for Crap; he went right back to do nothing mode after wrestling so aggressive these last couple weeks. It's like he doesn't have confidence in his skills. He has the goods...f'ing roll the dice and try some shit in the first and second period! Ugh!

133 - C Hope it falls together for this kid at some point but right now I hope to see Teske wrestling here in the post season
141 - A+ I was not expecting him to wrestle so turned the whole night around for me. He's looking really good in black and gold
149 - B Max is going to have to wrestle this guy again I'm sure. He kept it close and to me it's always going to be a match he could win or lose. Max is who he is. Would be a star on a lot of teams
157 - A super aggressive and took it to a guy above his ranking. Don't know if we can ride this horse all year but its fun to watch
165 - B Not exactly bad but not exactly inspiring.
174 - B See 165
184- A- Abe looking good going to need to him down the stretch
197 C Would have been a golden opportunity for Zach but to me he wrestled sloppy.
285 - A Good to see Cass go to deep water. Don't know if he beats this get 2 more times or not this year.
125 - A no points past the 1st period again for Spencer.
B for Max?? Really? Is that a B for Boring or a B for Below Expectations? That was right back to Max of old...the Max who goes 2-2 at NCAAs because he doesn't do anything the entire match and then loses in the 3rd. He's a fricking stud! I want him to roll the dice and take some chances early and often. He won't know if his TDs will be successful if he never shoots.

Neither Jake or Glazier look like they ever visit the gym?
Yea it is a little bit concerning in my opinion.

I will add. This is not taking shots at the kids. They have ALL made it to a level that I wish I had. It is just a fan thinking that some of them could do better, be better. We do not know everything though behind the scene.

Have to remember these are young men, going to skool, wrestling, and trying to live life. I am sure they are all putting in a great amount of time and effort.

Last edited:
Compared to many opponents a lot of Iowas guys seem to have never been in the gym. Not the end of the world but also odd it’s almost program wide
With some guys sucking weight and then being asked to jump up weight and then back down, I think it’s difficult to prioritize their build. Tough to gain muscle and not weight while being in limbo on what weight you’re wrestling on any given day. Blame some of that on injuries. As for our “set” wrestlers, I don’t get it. They should be pretty lean and mean.

Yea it is a little bit concerning in my opinion.

I will add. This is not taking shots at the kids. They have ALL made it to a level that I wish I had. It is just a fan thinking that some of them could do better, be better. We do not know everything though behind the scene.

Have to remember these are young men, going to skool, wrestling, and trying to live life. I am sure they are all putting in a great amount of time and effort.
DON'T NEED none of that thar booklarnin'!!!!!!
Skoolin' is OVERRATED and breaks concentration!

Reactions: IRONBIRD and el dub
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT