ADVERTISEMENT

Northwestern preview

This Fridays meet vs Northwestern should be more competitive than it’s been in a few years as the Wildcats field a pretty salty lineup. NW has 9 ranked wrestlers (Flo/Intermat).
125 #1/#1 Spencer Lee vs #4/#3 Michael Augustino

133 #12 Brody Teske/ #17 Cullan Schriever vs #11/#13 Chris Cannon

141 #2/#2 Real Woods vs #10/#10 Frankie Tal Shahar

149 #8/#4 Max Murin vs #4/#5 Yahya Thomas

157 #17/#20 Cobe Seibrecht vs #9/#9 Trevor Chumbley

#165 #10/#10 Patrick Kennedy vs HM/#23 Max Mayfield

174 #17/#16Nelson Brands vs #21/#20 Troy Fisher

#184 #8/ #8 Abe Assad vs UR Jack Jessen

#197 #10/#8 Jacob Warner vs HM/ #28 Andrew Davidson

Hwt # 3/#3 Anthony Cassioppi vs #4/#4 Lucas Davidson

Straight away DeAugustino is a weird matchup for Lee. He lives for low scoring matches and loves to get real low and sit on his butt. Hoping we get the Purdue ref as MDeA racks up more stalls than a Carver restroom.

Hoping Teske is ready to go vs a scrappy Chris Cannon. Cannon is pretty good at holding a lead. Would love to see Teske aggressive early.

Hopefully Woods is back in the lineup. Tal Shahar is wrestling better than he ever has, Woods is fun to watch and I’d love to see him vs a game competitor who’s feeling good about himself.

Murin and Yahya has gone down to the wire in both of their previous meetings. I imagine Yahya will try to score early and get enough of a lead to stave off the last minute TDs by Murin. Always an exciting bout by those two.

Chumbley has looked great thus far scoring some upsets. Seibrecht didn’t look great vs Mike Carr (gives up his legs way too easy), Rathjen looked great battling the #3 ranked Coleman for 7 minutes. Did Rathjen earn the start or will Seibrecht get the nod?

PK was impressive vs Braunagel and should build on they vs Max Mayfield

Brands still doesn’t look right (perhaps still trying to fight his way back from injury). Would love to see him put the pressure on Fisher and break him for bonus.

Assad can open it up against the veteran Jessen. He should be thinking bonus points out of the gate.

JWar has had a pretty miserable season thus far. A bonus point win could go a long way to making him feel better about himself.

IMHO the heavyweight match is the match of the night. Lucas Davidson is a beast who looks to have grown into the Hwt spot better than last year. Cass has been the MVP thus far and these two should have a pretty good battle.

On paper the Hawks are favored in 7/10 (Murin/Yahya are split in the rankings) with 9 out of the 10 weights pitting two ranked wrestlers against each other.

Should be a good one
NW can win 33,41,49,57,74,97, hwt…
If Iowa doesn’t win most of the tossups this has upset special written all over it

Reactions: TarpHawk
This Fridays meet vs Northwestern should be more competitive than it’s been in a few years as the Wildcats field a pretty salty lineup. NW has 9 ranked wrestlers (Flo/Intermat).

If Iowa doesn’t win most of the tossups this has upset special written all over it
Agree, especially if we continue to either not being able to or not wanting to field our strongest lineup.

Rumor has it Warner got injured two matches back but the coaches made him go last duel to cover up that fact.
So he got hurt against Franklin at SS or vs illini?

Gotta say he didn't look good against illini but only a few of our guys looked good last Friday.

Reactions: el dub

125 #1/#1 Spencer Lee vs #4/#3 Michael Augustino

133 #12 Brody Teske/ #17 Cullan Schriever vs #11/#13 Chris Cannon

141 #2/#2 Real Woods vs #10/#10 Frankie Tal Shahar

149 #8/#4 Max Murin vs #4/#5 Yahya Thomas

157 #17/#20 Cobe Seibrecht vs #9/#9 Trevor Chumbley

#165 #10/#10 Patrick Kennedy vs HM/#23 Max Mayfield

174 #17/#16Nelson Brands vs #21/#20 Troy Fisher

#184 #8/ #8 Abe Assad vs UR Jack Jessen

#197 #10/#8 Jacob Warner vs HM/ #28 Andrew Davidson

Hwt # 3/#3 Anthony Cassioppi vs #4/#4 Lucas Davidson

Straight away DeAugustino is a weird matchup for Lee. He lives for low scoring matches and loves to get real low and sit on his butt. Hoping we get the Purdue ref as MDeA racks up more stalls than a Carver restroom.

Hoping Teske is ready to go vs a scrappy Chris Cannon. Cannon is pretty good at holding a lead. Would love to see Teske aggressive early.

Hopefully Woods is back in the lineup. Tal Shahar is wrestling better than he ever has, Woods is fun to watch and I’d love to see him vs a game competitor who’s feeling good about himself.

Murin and Yahya has gone down to the wire in both of their previous meetings. I imagine Yahya will try to score early and get enough of a lead to stave off the last minute TDs by Murin. Always an exciting bout by those two.

Chumbley has looked great thus far scoring some upsets. Seibrecht didn’t look great vs Mike Carr (gives up his legs way too easy), Rathjen looked great battling the #3 ranked Coleman for 7 minutes. Did Rathjen earn the start or will Seibrecht get the nod?

PK was impressive vs Braunagel and should build on they vs Max Mayfield

Brands still doesn’t look right (perhaps still trying to fight his way back from injury). Would love to see him put the pressure on Fisher and break him for bonus.

Assad can open it up against the veteran Jessen. He should be thinking bonus points out of the gate.

JWar has had a pretty miserable season thus far. A bonus point win could go a long way to making him feel better about himself.

IMHO the heavyweight match is the match of the night. Lucas Davidson is a beast who looks to have grown into the Hwt spot better than last year. Cass has been the MVP thus far and these two should have a pretty good battle.

On paper the Hawks are favored in 7/10 (Murin/Yahya are split in the rankings) with 9 out of the 10 weights pitting two ranked wrestlers against each other.

Should be a good one
We get a win at 33 or 49 but not both.

Max has had good success against Yahya and both seem are having outstanding seasons. I hope they get after it!

Reactions: so cal hawkfan

But if Spencer can get a pin, it will go along ways

Agree, especially if we continue to either not being able to or not wanting to field our strongest lineup.

"Not wanting to"? Huh?

But if Spencer can get a pin, it will go along ways

I think NU FFTs. DeAugustino has only wrestled 1 full match this year and hasn't been on the mat for a month and a half. It does not appear they have another 125 available.

"Not wanting to"? Huh?

I think NU FFTs. DeAugustino has only wrestled 1 full match this year and hasn't been on the mat for a month and a half. It does not appear they have another 125 available.
How does he have #3 ranking wrestling one match the first half of year?

"Not wanting to"? Huh?

Is PK hurt? Didn't see him on the mat at Purdue.

I think this will come down to HWT. Abe needs bonus, Spencer scores 6, and we need to win one between 133, 149, or 157. PK wins 165 and Brands needs to win 174. I think we win a close one with 2 backups going and it really gets tight if we run 3 or 4 backups out there. Hawks will have to win all the toss ups with that many starters out. Should be a battle. What the lineup sheet says and who actually goes is two different things imo. Tom seems to like to "surprise" us anymore.

So he got hurt against Franklin at SS or vs illini?

Gotta say he didn't look good against illini but only a few of our guys looked good last Friday.
I thought he got hurt on braunagel's takedown. when braunagel cut it back, warner went to do his usual dive over top desperation ankle pass, but just folded. didn't look like much, but then he didn't move at all the last 5 seconds and limped off.

Reactions: Hwt1
I think this will come down to HWT. Abe needs bonus, Spencer scores 6, and we need to win one between 133, 149, or 157. PK wins 165 and Brands needs to win 174. I think we win a close one with 2 backups going and it really gets tight if we run 3 or 4 backups out there. Hawks will have to win all the toss ups with that many starters out. Should be a battle. What the lineup sheet says and who actually goes is two different things imo. Tom seems to like to "surprise" us anymore.
Sometimes I wonder if the projections are if they were to go that very minute and guys are able to get to the point of ready to take the mat under the lights.

Reactions: el dub
nw forfeits 125 to harris and spencer pins cannon at 133
nah - just let teske go and get a solid win... maybe even a major(egg me if you think im crazy, but I dont think BT is that far from it)
I love big max - i believe the last 2 wins against Yahya were come from behind wins after Y gassed out. Max can hammer the pace and blow the roof off in this match too. Make us call those matches as no longer toss-ups on saturday. Just like we did PK after last friday night.

Don't bet your Porsche on Abe tossing in a bonus.

nah - just let teske go and get a solid win... maybe even a major(egg me if you think im crazy, but I dont think BT is that far from it)
I love big max - i believe the last 2 wins against Yahya were come from behind wins after Y gassed out. Max can hammer the pace and blow the roof off in this match too. Make us call those matches as no longer toss-ups on saturday. Just like we did PK after last friday night.
Teske majoring Cannon?
DeSanto didn't accomplish that, there's no way a healthy Teske does.

Right now Cannon is favored and Max is assuredly in a tossup. Until Max can routinely beat All-Americans he'll forever be in tossups against All-Americans.

Hense the maybe even part of it. And lets not forget Cannon has a 9-4 record. One of the few to slow DeS down for sure! And I respect exactly what youre saying btw!
Murin i also agree with you on... which is why I pointed out he was behind both times before YT gassed... maybe I have to much coffee in me today :)

Cannon lost to Biscogalia of UNI, Latona of VA Tech, colaiocco of Penn. He’s defensive and you always have chance against a guy like. There isn’t a favorite in this matchup with Teske.

Northwestern is going to be a close dual without Woods and Warner.
Serious possibility of losing if our guys in the close matches don't make some things happen. I don't see Lee having an issue, but the next 4 after that could go either way, and if they don't go our way we're already down 12-5 or worse. Kennedy and Assad need bonus points and neither Brands nor Cass can afford to lose. This is going to be a nail biter. Murin has to beat Yahya to avoid getting us into an early pickle.

Reactions: TarpHawk and el dub
I can’t take you serious anymore with a comment like that.

If you think he's not 100% healthy you are crazy.

Does he need better conditioning?

You bet.

But find me one Hawk that doesn't at this time.

ZERO chance he wrestles some of these recent matches if his knees weren't 100%. ZERO.

If you think he's not 100% healthy you are crazy.

Does he need better conditioning?

You bet.

But find me one Hawk that doesn't at this time.

ZERO chance he wrestles some of these recent matches if his knees weren't 100%. ZERO.
He only goes at 100%? That’s screwball. Lol

ADVERTISEMENT