ADVERTISEMENT

Northwestern preview

so cal hawkfan

HR All-American
Jun 5, 2012
Whittier CA
This Fridays meet vs Northwestern should be more competitive than it’s been in a few years as the Wildcats field a pretty salty lineup. NW has 9 ranked wrestlers (Flo/Intermat).

125 #1/#1 Spencer Lee vs #4/#3 Michael Augustino

133 #12 Brody Teske/ #17 Cullan Schriever vs #11/#13 Chris Cannon

141 #2/#2 Real Woods vs #10/#10 Frankie Tal Shahar

149 #8/#4 Max Murin vs #4/#5 Yahya Thomas

157 #17/#20 Cobe Seibrecht vs #9/#9 Trevor Chumbley

#165 #10/#10 Patrick Kennedy vs HM/#23 Max Mayfield

174 #17/#16Nelson Brands vs #21/#20 Troy Fisher

#184 #8/ #8 Abe Assad vs UR Jack Jessen

#197 #10/#8 Jacob Warner vs HM/ #28 Andrew Davidson

Hwt # 3/#3 Anthony Cassioppi vs #4/#4 Lucas Davidson

Straight away DeAugustino is a weird matchup for Lee. He lives for low scoring matches and loves to get real low and sit on his butt. Hoping we get the Purdue ref as MDeA racks up more stalls than a Carver restroom.

Hoping Teske is ready to go vs a scrappy Chris Cannon. Cannon is pretty good at holding a lead. Would love to see Teske aggressive early.

Hopefully Woods is back in the lineup. Tal Shahar is wrestling better than he ever has, Woods is fun to watch and I’d love to see him vs a game competitor who’s feeling good about himself.

Murin and Yahya has gone down to the wire in both of their previous meetings. I imagine Yahya will try to score early and get enough of a lead to stave off the last minute TDs by Murin. Always an exciting bout by those two.

Chumbley has looked great thus far scoring some upsets. Seibrecht didn’t look great vs Mike Carr (gives up his legs way too easy), Rathjen looked great battling the #3 ranked Coleman for 7 minutes. Did Rathjen earn the start or will Seibrecht get the nod?

PK was impressive vs Braunagel and should build on they vs Max Mayfield

Brands still doesn’t look right (perhaps still trying to fight his way back from injury). Would love to see him put the pressure on Fisher and break him for bonus.

Assad can open it up against the veteran Jessen. He should be thinking bonus points out of the gate.

JWar has had a pretty miserable season thus far. A bonus point win could go a long way to making him feel better about himself.

IMHO the heavyweight match is the match of the night. Lucas Davidson is a beast who looks to have grown into the Hwt spot better than last year. Cass has been the MVP thus far and these two should have a pretty good battle.

On paper the Hawks are favored in 7/10 (Murin/Yahya are split in the rankings) with 9 out of the 10 weights pitting two ranked wrestlers against each other.

Should be a good one

Ok no Woods and No JWAR means I would not be shocked if lost. Weights I am pretty confident in are: 125,165,174,184. Weights I think we lose with that lineup are 141,157,197. That leaves 133,149 and hwt. All 3 matches could go either way. Could win all 3 or lose all 3. Feel pretty good about Cass and Murin but not so much Teske. It would not shock mean if we were to go 0-3 but it would not shock if we went 3-0 either. Should be fun either way!

Reactions: TarpHawk
Ok no Woods and No JWAR means I would not be shocked if lost. Weights I am pretty confident in are: 125,165174,184. Weights I think we lose with that lineup are 141,157,197. That leaves 133,149 and hwt. All 3 matches could go either way. Could win all 3 or lose all 3. Feel pretty good about Cass and Murin but not so much Teske. It would not shock mean if we were to go 0-3 but it would not shock if we went 3-0 either. Should be fun either way!
Don't forget 74, Brands should knock off Fisher. Should!

Memory lapse guys. What's the name of the site that lists indivdual records, head to head, common opponents scores , etc...

We are flirting with disaster. Hawks are going to need to wrestle like they did at Purdue, not like they did against Illinois. Also wondering if CS would match up better at 141 than Bennett?

Ok no Woods and No JWAR means I would not be shocked if lost. Weights I am pretty confident in are: 125,165,174,184. Weights I think we lose with that lineup are 141,157,197. That leaves 133,149 and hwt. All 3 matches could go either way. Could win all 3 or lose all 3. Feel pretty good about Cass and Murin but not so much Teske. It would not shock mean if we were to go 0-3 but it would not shock if we went 3-0 either. Should be fun either way!
Davison didn’t have a lot of offense but got a takedown on a spladle last year in their only match. Cass got a few more takedowns after that and had some chances on the edge to get more. Haven’t watched Davison at all this year but I feel pretty confident in Cass.

Davison didn’t have a lot of offense but got a takedown on a spladle last year in their only match. Cass got a few more takedowns after that and had some chances on the edge to get more. Haven’t watched Davison at all this year but I feel pretty confident in Cass.
Davison has jumped levels imo. It’s going to be a hard fought match for Cass. I think it’s a 1 or 2 point match.

Davison has jumped levels imo. It’s going to be a hard fought match for Cass. I think it’s a 1 or 2 point match.
Davidson looses only to Mason Paris 6-4. Tough match up Cassioppi.
Yahya Thomas for real at 149 lbs. Only loss to Sasso.

I'm not overly confident in Teske given his limited sample size at 133. Max and Yahya is always a toss up. The version of Glazier that smoked Voelker could win. Cass has to stay solid and not get sloppy.

Murin has to actually take a shot on Yahya

disaster is a bit over the top, but they are for sure flirting with getting a loss.my biggest worry is pk dinged up. riggins listed and wrestled sunday

Reactions: sdvike
I don’t see any dual this year with Iowa at 100%. Psu youd hope but I don’t see it happening. Iowa only has Lee and Cass majoring, too many unknowns to squeak out every big10 dual

Oh for crying out loud, what's wrong with Warner?

Not surprised on Woods.

Should be some great wrestling at CHA.

So it appears the concerns about injuries at the end of last season continue. Is this Brands worst legacy, incomplete rosters because of injury? Staff needs to put together a chart of athlete injuries for commonality and strategize avoidance.

Can anyone else verify if this is, in fact, true?
Gimme a minute….
Calculate Figure It Out GIF

…….Yep.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT