ADVERTISEMENT

NCAA Round 2 Thread

Alright, so Iowa's primary path to a title was to have 9-10 AAs that can outscore PSU's 5-6 studs plus some upsets. With 4 in the wrestlebacks already, this means that we're going to have to outscore PSU at their key weights (133, 174, 197, 225). At this point, a title means Ayala AA, ADS > RBY, Kem > Star, Jaydin 3rd, Murin high AA, Warner very high AA, and Cass in finals.

Obviously a huge longshot but that's what we're working with. Young's loss was worse than Jaydin's in a way after Carr got upset. It's a ~10pt swing from AA 6+ to 1-2.

Reactions: Ilhawk135
I could be wrong but I think the initial shoulder injury occurred beforee the NCAAs. If someone knows please correct me.
I don't know for sure when the shoulder injury occurred, but Kem was noticeably wincing and keeping his arm by his side late in NCAA semis match last year. I believe the injury occurred in that match or sometime before.

Still a 3x AA (2x at NCAAs). Beat Deakin twice one year for it. Say what you will, but I’d be okay having a couple Kaleb Youngs on my team.
Young is a fascinating wrestler. I have seen him hit a variety of attacks, scramble, he's hard to score on, he can scramble, and I've seen h throw guys. He rides well although not much ability to get backs. He just doesn't string together much in a match.

Reactions: Jrjt0518
Are you implying Clones might not be in the top ten? OK, it looks like top twenty might be more reasonable.

IF I include high school teams in my "Iowa wrestling power index", ISU barely makes the top ten. WSR might crush ISU. ;) ;) ;) ;)
I'd take them over Don Bosco, since they're 1-A

Im glad Jayden Eiermann became a Hawk.
Agree. Season and March hasn't been what most had hoped at the end of last year... no Lee, injured Ayala, injured Eierman, injured Kem, injured Cass. We knew it was going to be an uphill battle with other top teams at full strength. Still have 6 in the quarters and hopefully good points coming on the backside. Let's hope ADS, Max, Bull, Kem, Warner, Cass get it done tomorrow and keep moving ahead. And how about Max f*cking Murin. Kid is all heart.

I’ll never understand why it’s considered good defense and no take down when someone does a chest wrap, especially when the offensive wrestler has cleared a leg….especially in folk style. That should be a takedown in folkstyle. The offensive wrestler has gotten control at that point.

A chest wrap used to be used to avoid going to your back if you’ve given up a clean double or hi c. Now it’s used as a defensive position where they try to get a stalemate called.

Freestyle I get it, it’s a legit counter to expose the back for a quick two. But it’s a disease in folkstyle the way it’s being used.

Am I wrong here?

I’ll never understand why it’s considered good defense and no take down when someone does a chest wrap, especially when the offensive wrestler has cleared a leg….especially in folk style. That should be a takedown in folkstyle. The offensive wrestler has gotten control at that point.

A chest wrap used to be used to avoid going to your back if you’ve given up a clean double or hi c. Now it’s used as a defensive position where they try to get a stalemate called.

Freestyle I get it, it’s a legit counter to expose the back for a quick two. But it’s a disease in folkstyle the way it’s being used.

Am I wrong here?
Oh, you mean what that fukwad OU 285er did the ENTIRE match against Cass?

Recall a current Iowa assistant that wrestled this way. Won a lot, but usually a snooze fest. Can't help but think part of it's the coaching they're getting. Maybe not, but very similar style
Wow.............been a few years since someone blamed M* for how the wrestlers perform on the mat.
Sincerely................get a grip on reality.

So you're saying wrestling all those schools no one has ever heard of during the regular season isn't a good strategy?

At this point, ISU isn't all that far ahead of where they were with KJ calling the shots. Dresser is a joke.

Gotta question just how smart a kid like Swidersky is for signing with ISU? Outside of Carr... they've been nearly a dumpster fire since Dresser and his Hawkeye wannabees arrived.

No one in the quarterfinals for ISU is something KJ would be criticized for and it's EXACTLY where ISU is right now, five years into KD's regime.

LOfrickenL!
Blown opportunity to use “want of bees” Just sayin.

• Haha
Reactions: el dub
Lack of bonus in these early rounds certainly hurt. I understand the injury situations but there are several guys not going for the MD when they could have, or even trying to score in general.

When Brands gets paid $800,000 a year he better not have wrestlers out there with that mindset anymore.

I miss watching Ironside!

I’m new to following Iowa wrestling at the level I do, but why does Iowa struggle so much with achieving bonus points?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT