ADVERTISEMENT

NCAA Round 2 Thread

Talk about an implosion at NCAAs. I knew their ranking and expectations were inflated from wrestling mostly hot poop all season, but wow.
The only real eye opener is the obvious 50+ match streak of Carr ending (and 4xer chance???).

I’m new to following Iowa wrestling at the level I do, but why does Iowa struggle so much with achieving bonus points?
We usually don't. This year's been challenging because of no Lee, injured JE even though he wasn't opening up a lot before the injury, and injured Kem. At 100% Kem would be bonusing his way into and possibly through quarters. Also Cass' injury has hurt as he's a usual bonus machine in early rounds.

Six Hawkeyes Advance to NCAA Quarterfinals

DETROIT
-- The University of Iowa wrestling team wrestling team advanced six wrestlers to the quarterfinals of the 2022 NCAA Wrestling Championships on Thursday night at Little Caesars Arena.

Austin DeSanto, Max Murin, Alex Marinelli, Michael Kemerer, Jacob Warner and Tony Cassioppi all won in the round of 16 and compete Friday morning for a chance to make it to the semifinals.

The first five Hawkeyes all won by decision. Cassioppi closed the top half of Iowa’s bracket with a 12-3 major decision at 285. He totaled four takedowns and nearly four minutes of riding time to advance to the quarterfinals for the second straight year.

Marinelli and Kemerer are making their fourth career appearance in the NCAA quarters. Marinelli scored one takedown in the second and added two more in the third to win 8-2 at 165. Kemerer scored a takedown in every period and added two minutes, 19 seconds of riding time in a 9-4 decision at 174.

DeSanto and Murin both advanced to the NCAA quarterfinals for the third time in their careers. DeSanto took a 3-0 lead with a takedown in the closing seconds of the second period, and added another takedown late in the third to win 5-1 at 133. Murin scored one takedown in the first, one in the second, and another in the third to win 8-4 at 149.

Warner escaped to start the second and scored the match’s only takedown in the third to win 3-1 at 197, advancing to the quarterfinals for the second year in a row.

Jaydin Eierman and Kaleb Young both dropped overtime decisions and were bounced to the consolation side of the bracket. Eierman fell, 4-2, at 141 and Young dropped a 3-1 decision at 157.

All 10 Hawkeyes return to the mat tomorrow after Drake Ayala and Abe Assad responded from opening round losses with wins in the first round of the consolation bracket. Ayala picked up his first career win at the NCAA Championships with a 7-1 decision at 125, and Assad earned his first career NCAA victory with a 9-3 decision at 184.

The Hawkeyes are in fifth place with 20.5 team points. Penn State leads the team race with 27.5 points. Arizona State (22), NC State (21.5) and Michigan (21) round out the top five.

UP NEXT

The third session of the 2022 NCAA Championships begins Friday at 10 a.m. (CT). The quarterfinals and wrestlebacks are televised on ESPNU and WatchESPN.

QUOTING TOM BRANDS

“We have 10 matches and we have to be ready to go. I know it’s going to be a battle and we have to love a battle. We have to be fast. We have to be smart. We have to be tough. We have to score points.”

IOWA’S SECOND ROUND NCAA RESULTS

133 - #5 Austin DeSanto (Iowa) dec. #12 Micky Phillippi (Pitt), 5-2

141 - #15 Kizhan Clarke (UNC) dec. #2 Jaydin Eierman (Iowa), 4-2 SV1

149 - #8 Max Murin (Iowa) dec. #9 Kaden Gfeller (OKST), 8-4

157 - #8 Will Lewan (Michigan) dec. #9 Kaleb Young (Iowa), 3-1 SV1

165 - #3 Alex Marinelli (Iowa) dec. #19 Justin McCoy (Virginia), 8-2

174 - #5 Michael Kemerer (Iowa) dec. #12 Cade DeVos (SDSU), 9-4

197 - #6 Jacob Warner (Iowa) dec. #11 Thomas Penola (Purdue), 3-1

285 - #3 Tony Cassioppi (Iowa) major dec. #14 Luke Luffman (Illinois), 12-3

IOWA’S CONSOLATION ROUND NCAA RESULTS

125 - #13 Drake Ayala (Iowa) dec. #29 Joe Manchio (Columbia), 7-1

184 - #18 Abe Assad (Iowa) dec. #31 AJ Burkhart (Lehigh), 9-3

IOWA’S NCAA QUARTERFINAL MATCHUPS

133 - #5 Austin DeSanto (Iowa) vs. #4 Korbin Myers (Virginia Tech)

149 - #8 Max Murin (Iowa) vs. #1 Yianni Diakomihalis (Cornell)

165 - #3 Alex Marinelli (Iowa) vs. #6 Cam Amine (Michigan)

174 - #5 Michael Kemerer (Iowa) vs. #4 Hayden Hidlay (NC State)

197 - #6 Jacob Warner (Iowa) vs. #3 Eric Shultz (Nebraska)

285 - #3 Tony Cassioppi (Iowa) vs. #6 Jordan Wood (Lehigh)

IOWA’S CONSOLATION ROUND MATCHUPS

125 - #13 Drake Ayala (Iowa) vs. #14 Jakob Camacho (Columbia)

141 - #2 Jaydin Eierman (Iowa) vs. #17 Dylan D’Emilio (Ohio State)

157 - #9 Kaleb Young (Iowa) vs. #23 Markus Hartman (Army)

184 - #18 Abe Assad (Iowa) vs. #16 Dakota Greer (Oklahoma State)

TEAM STANDINGS

1. Penn State 27.5
2. Arizona State 22.0
3. NC State 21.5
4. Michigan 21.0
5. IOWA 20.5
6. Northern Iowa 15.0
7. Nebraska 14.5
7. Virginia Tech 14.5
9. Cornell 14.0
9. Oregon State 14.0

Last edited:
From PSU Wrestling Club site

TeamPointsMaximum
Potential
(Rd of 12)
Team Standings
Penn State
27.5​
245​
6​
3​
Arizona State
22​
191​
5​
2​
Michigan
21​
238​
7​
2​
Iowa
20.5​
262.5​
6​
4​
North Carolina State
20.5​
266.5​
3​
6​
Northern Iowa
15​
161.5​
1​
5​
Nebraska
14.5​
208.5​
4​
4​
Virginia Tech
14.5​
184​
4​
3​
Cornell
14​
209​
2​
6​
Oregon State
14​
208​
4​
4​
Northwestern
13.5​
158.5​
4​
2​
Ohio State
13.5​
207.5​
4​
4​
Missouri
12.5​
183​
2​
5​
Wisconsin
12.5​
158.5​
2​
4​
Minnesota
11​
132.5​
2​
3​
North Carolina
9.5​
131​
2​
3​
Oklahoma State
9​
179.5​
2​
5​
Penn
9​
207​
1​
6​
Princeton
9​
106​
2​
2​
Rutgers
9​
155.5​
1​
5​
Stanford
9​
106​
2​
2​
Pitt
8.5​
130.5​
1​
4​
Purdue
8​
130.5​
5​
Oklahoma
7.5​
154​
1​
5​
North Dakota State
7​
104.5​
1​
3​
Illinois
6.5​
79.5​
1​
2​
Cal Poly
6​
78.5​
2​
1​
Virginia
6​
103.5​
1​
3​
Appalachian State
5.5​
103.5​
4​
Wyoming
5.5​
103​
1​
3​
Campbell
5​
78.5​
3​
West Virginia
5​
53​
2​
Iowa State
4.5​
102.5​
4​

something needs to change. even when they won last year, they still underperformed. it’s a decade long trend under this regime. yes, there are injuries, but that’s also a part of the equation. why does it seem like our guys are held together by duct tape at the end of the season every year? and we’ve seen a lot of great hawks completely broken down by the end of their careers.

it’s hard to make a critique without knowing how they train, but clearly something needs to change. we have enough data to reasonably say that it’s not just bad luck to consistently under perform at ncaas over a ten year span.

From PSU Wrestling Club site

Team Standings
TeamPointsMaximum
Potential
(Rd of 12)
Penn State
27.5​
245​
6​
3​
Arizona State
22​
191​
5​
2​
Michigan
21​
238​
7​
2​
Iowa
20.5​
262.5​
6​
4​
North Carolina State
20.5​
266.5​
3​
6​
Northern Iowa
15​
161.5​
1​
5​
Nebraska
14.5​
208.5​
4​
4​
Virginia Tech
14.5​
184​
4​
3​
Cornell
14​
209​
2​
6​
Oregon State
14​
208​
4​
4​
Northwestern
13.5​
158.5​
4​
2​
Ohio State
13.5​
207.5​
4​
4​
Missouri
12.5​
183​
2​
5​
Wisconsin
12.5​
158.5​
2​
4​
Minnesota
11​
132.5​
2​
3​
North Carolina
9.5​
131​
2​
3​
Oklahoma State
9​
179.5​
2​
5​
Penn
9​
207​
1​
6​
Princeton
9​
106​
2​
2​
Rutgers
9​
155.5​
1​
5​
Stanford
9​
106​
2​
2​
Pitt
8.5​
130.5​
1​
4​
Purdue
8​
130.5​
5​
Oklahoma
7.5​
154​
1​
5​
North Dakota State
7​
104.5​
1​
3​
Illinois
6.5​
79.5​
1​
2​
Cal Poly
6​
78.5​
2​
1​
Virginia
6​
103.5​
1​
3​
Appalachian State
5.5​
103.5​
4​
Wyoming
5.5​
103​
1​
3​
Campbell
5​
78.5​
3​
West Virginia
5​
53​
2​
Iowa State
4.5​
102.5​
4​

Lack of bonus in these early rounds certainly hurt. I understand the injury situations but there are several guys not going for the MD when they could have, or even trying to score in general.

When Brands gets paid $800,000 a year he better not have wrestlers out there with that mindset anymore.

I miss watching Ironside!
You are a dick...stay over on the fu** st board....better fit for you.

something needs to change. even when they won last year, they still underperformed. it’s a decade long trend under this regime. yes, there are injuries, but that’s also a part of the equation. why does it seem like our guys are held together by duct tape at the end of the season every year? and we’ve seen a lot of great hawks completely broken down by the end of their careers.

it’s hard to make a critique without knowing how they train, but clearly something needs to change. we have enough data to reasonably say that it’s not just bad luck to consistently under perform at ncaas over a ten year span.
Well, we might be wheeling a few of them in by the end, but the only team with 10 guys still alive and the second highest max point potential. It ain't over till........

Wtf are you talking about dipshit? We should be back to back NCAA Champs without the covid shit...step away from the ledge dude! Wow!

I'll give you one right now.....

Our guys look weaker/smaller than our competition (especially Penn State), and that needs to change.

Putting on more muscle to some of these "lean" scrawny wrestlers of ours is a must.

When was the last time you said Iowa had a physically imposing wrestler?
(And I'm not even counting Spencer Lee as someone who looks "physically imposing").

We either struggle against these kinds of guys or, worse yet, lose to them more often than not lately.

Hope that helps the Brands Bros after they read my post and immediately send the whole team to the weight room to get ripped like Big E from the WWE.............. :D

Reactions: IRONBIRD

Our guys look weaker/smaller than our competition (especially Penn State), and that needs to change.

Putting on more muscle to some of these "lean" scrawny wrestlers of ours is a must.

(And I'm not even counting Spencer Lee as someone who looks "physically imposing").

We either struggle against these kinds of guys or, worse yet, lose to them more often than not lately.

Hope that helps the Brands Bros after they read my post and immediately send the whole team to the weight room to get ripped like Big E from the WWE.............. :D
I was actually thinking he would be a great S&C coach

idk if i necessarily agree that strength is the issue. the black singlet also makes our guys look smaller. i've noticed this when seeing them wrestle freestyle.

to me the biggest issue is scrambling. this regime has not adapted. we do a lot of things really well. a lot of the little things. great positioning discipline and handfighting. tough on top. solid on bottom. this team rarely beats itself. but so many on the team can't consistently create their own scores against quality competition. they can't go get it. and i think that's because they are highly selective with their attacks to avoid scrambling positions. they don't look comfortable finishing in crackdown or splitting the middle. they have to get to the corner to score. but the problem with that is that it's really hard to do. if you can finish from non-optimal positions, it totally opens up your offense. and this team does not do that well at all.

This whole, if you don’t just cheer go Hawks 24/7 on here than get out, is so old. I have high expectations for my Hawks. I’m not apologizing for it. I will say that if Kem and Marinelli win titles, it’d make up for us not getting a team title
See ya next year at this time....lol

idk if i necessarily agree that strength is the issue. the black singlet also makes our guys look smaller. i've noticed this when seeing them wrestle freestyle.

to me the biggest issue is scrambling. this regime has not adapted. we do a lot of things really well. a lot of the little things. great positioning discipline and handfighting. tough on top. solid on bottom. this team rarely beats itself. but so many on the team can't consistently create their own scores against quality competition. they can't go get it. and i think that's because they are highly selective with their attacks to avoid scrambling positions. they don't look comfortable finishing in crackdown or splitting the middle. they have to get to the corner to score. but the problem with that is that it's really hard to do. if you can finish from non-optimal positions, it totally opens up your offense. and this team does not do that well at all.
You need to phone TnT asap....good luck on the feed back dude....

The losers in the quarters wrestle again in the morning session.
Wrestlers on the front side only wrestle once per session, win or lose. The quarterfinal losers drop to the blood round, which wrestles tonight alongside the semifinals.

This morning, the 2nd round consolations will be on the outer 4 mats with the quarterfinals wrestling in the middle mats. The consolation winners then have another match this morning, against other consolation round winners.

I’m not saying it’s impossible, but Young and Eierman losing put us in a tough spot. That and lack of bonus
Young hurts the worst, he could be having a qtr match with #17 but now is looking at 1 more win at most before getting bounced with no AA. Eierman could possibly get third, draw not terrible. Second was his ceiling with the knee anyway.

I do wonder about our S&C program. It's been a revolving door and a guy was even cut for a time during covid.

Young hurts the worst, he could be having a qtr match with #17 but now is looking at 1 more win at most before getting bounced with no AA. Eierman could possibly get third, draw not terrible. Second was his ceiling with the knee anyway.
Unfortunately I think there is a decent chance Eierman will default out.

Best to worst chances of winning quarterfinals match...

Desanto - 80%
Cassioppi - 80%
Marinelli - 65%
Kemerer - 55%
Warner - 40%
Murin - 5%

4 in semis would be great, but 3 seems more likely.

Here's the thing. No one knows what Carr's mindset is going to be in the consi's. He could just pack it in. We know Young has done the coming through the backside many times.

That being said yes Carr could roll over him also.

This whole, if you don’t just cheer go Hawks 24/7 on here than get out, is so old. I have high expectations for my Hawks. I’m not apologizing for it. I will say that if Kem and Marinelli win titles, it’d make up for us not getting a team title
No one has said that at all. But whining non stop about every thing that goes wrong is more than old. It's not hard to be critical without sounding like a spoiled toddler.

Outside of Carr...where would ISU be favored?

Even KJ got guys through the quarters.

Dresser is just collecting a check. Metcalf and DSJ are not quality D-1 assts. Incoming recruits are probably consulting legal counsel trying to get out.
Swiderski can change his mind anytime!

So you're saying wrestling all those schools no one has ever heard of during the regular season isn't a good strategy?

At this point, ISU isn't all that far ahead of where they were with KJ calling the shots. Dresser is a joke.

Gotta question just how smart a kid like Swidersky is for signing with ISU? Outside of Carr... they've been nearly a dumpster fire since Dresser and his Hawkeye wannabees arrived.

No one in the quarterfinals for ISU is something KJ would be criticized for and it's EXACTLY where ISU is right now, five years into KD's regime.

LOfrickenL!
Cyclones are only 1/2 point behind Campbell and 1 point behind App State. They still have a chance with 4 left in consis, dont give up on them yet. And people think the Hawks got problems.

Cyclones are only 1/2 point behind Campbell and 1 point behind App State. They still have a chance with 4 left in consis, dont give up on them yet. And people think the Hawks got problems.
It's really astonishing because fans thought they couldn't fall lower than KJ.

I understand KJ not cutting it because he never coached 18-22 year olds before becoming HC. Dresser... there is no excuse for his futility.

BTW....if there was any $$$ left after getting Eggum a lifetime contract, let's spend the rest on getting Dresser one.

Last edited:
I’m new to following Iowa wrestling at the level I do, but why does Iowa struggle so much with achieving bonus points?
Bucky,

I started following wrestling extremely closely about 10-12 years ago and was a slow learner but have slowly caught on. I know you are a football fan as well so I have a good comparison for you.

KF and Tom Brands are almost identical in their approach: defense wins championships. You need to give yourself a chance to win every match. Offense is great but defense wins in the end. Your offense can often score simply because of your defense. When we score on offense and get a lead..just like in football...our wrestlers tend to sit on it. No more offense needed. Just don't screw up.

TNT, so ironically considering their past history as wrestlers, doesn't seem to teach score score score on offense. They seem to teach more of a conservative, counter approach. Not always, obviously. ADS is an offensive machine. He is what I wish every Iowa wrestler was like. Super aggressive at all times. But mostly, it is pretty conservative. As you know, Gable was score score score at all times. TNT does not seem to teach that way. They teach super solid fundamentals and are very good at what they do. But creativity in scoring points is not their strength. Hence, when JE transferred a few years ago, most of us were blown away at how "unorthodox" he was. We hadn't seen anyone like that in a long, long time. Turns out there are quite a few guys like him around the country, just not at Iowa.

But make no mistake about it: TNT are very good at what they do and as long as they are in charge, we will have a super solid wrestling program. Will they win a couple more national championships? Maybe. But just like they had to change their recruiting style a few years back to adjust to the times, they might have to adjust their teachings to try and get over the top. As we know, KF's offense will never change. Let's hope TNT adapts to what is needed. In both football and wrestling, you have super human beings leading these young men and doing it the right way. We can bitch about the lack of offense but in the end, we're still in good shape in both programs.

Lastly, you might ask about Spencer Lee and how different he is. Now to explain Spencer Lee in a football comparison, let's pretend we combined the physical and mental skills of Bo Jackson, Deion Sanders, Barry Sanders, Joe Montana, Jerry Rice, John Elway, Patrick Mahomes, Ray Lewis, Dick Butkus, Walter Payton, Peyton Manning, and Tom Brady. That fictional Superhuman character? Still couldn't beat Spencer Lee. He's that good. The guy majored his way to a national title with no knees.

Wrestlers on the front side only wrestle once per session, win or lose. The quarterfinal losers drop to the blood round, which wrestles tonight alongside the semifinals.

This morning, the 2nd round consolations will be on the outer 4 mats with the quarterfinals wrestling in the middle mats. The consolation winners then have another match this morning, against other consolation round winners.
My bad. Thanks for the correction.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT