ADVERTISEMENT

Nearly 700 teachers projected to leave Omaha Public Schools by July 1

You know that the dude you're siding with just got out of timeout because that's exactly what he was doing, right?
I’m not “siding” with anyone…..I was referring to you and everyone else who always resorts to name calling of people who have a different opinion or viewpoint.

Once you start calling people names, you automatically lose any argument you try to make.

Well, that's what they are doing in some cases. Although there's a lot of hidden costs to being a truck driver that takes away from their pay. Like, they have to pay for their own gas. And they have to pay for their own truck, or be leasing the truck from the company they are hauling for. I suppose there are companies out there with their own trucks and just pay you to run stuff from one place to another, but I doubt they pay as much.
And you would be incorrect about the highlighted portion. Right about the rest, but, the good ones are still making bank

Mike

Obviously teachers should be evaluated based on standardized test scores.
Should they…?

Here in Texas, it’s kind of a big topic right now with STAR testing and the fact that the curriculum is completely STAR based and the kids are still not learning sic’em!

Z

No, you aren’t. But then you get on the radar

I'm tired of it fellas. Seriously!

Z
I'm with you, Mike! HROT becomes premium and the trolls go away like that. It would be a much more civil place without people coming just to agitate until they get the banhammer and register a new account to keep going.

• Angry
Reactions: Pinehawk
I'm with you, Mike! HROT becomes premium and the trolls go away like that. It would be a much more civil place without people coming just to agitate until they get the banhammer and register a new account to keep going.
I agree. Some quality posters may go away though, and the refugees from FSU may not want that. They offer a lot of spice for the board that’s lacking from others.

Wife student taught at Omaha in the late 90's. It was a crap hole then as far as retaining teachers. The current political climate has probably made it worse. But let's not go pretending it hasn't been crap for a long time.

Reactions: Mike Zierath

That doesn't explain a premium paying member, WorldSeriesChamp, telling other posters to commit suicide over the last few years. In fact, I often wonder if his premium status saved him from the banhammer.

That doesn't explain a premium paying member, WorldSeriesChamp, telling other posters to commit suicide over the last few years. In fact, I often wonder if his premium status saved him from the banhammer.
Links? That doesn’t sound like him.

I don’t recall that, but I’m not the only one moderating the various boards. There is nothing that tells us who is, or isn’t, a paying member that I’m aware of. Maybe I just haven’t cared enough about that to look. I don’t care who is violating said policies as I see them. Everyone is the same in my eyes.

Mike

Reactions: Pinehawk
Should they…?

Here in Texas, it’s kind of a big topic right now with STAR testing and the fact that the curriculum is completely STAR based and the kids are still not learning sic’em!

Z
I'm no expert, but I sleep with one. From what I've seen most of these school systems are too top heavy with administrators and central staff. Always implementing the latest greatest new system.
Honestly there are probably hundreds of schools of thought on educating students that are valid.
The money in my opinion needs to go towards things in the classroom. Everything else should be absolutely secondary. That includes testing systems, athletics, facilities, etc.

Why would you want to be a teacher now? Covid, remote learning, being called a groomer, restrictions on your speech, relatively low pay …
Not to mention zero support from Administration that have allowed disciplinary measures to escape them over the years teaching kids that they can do whatever they want in school and face very little meaningful consequences.

Most are quitting because adults...including adults who refuse to raise their kids. Had a student pull his phone out in class a few weeks ago. I told him to put it away. A few minutes later, it's out again. I told him I had to take it...school policy. He refused. I told him to stay in class after everyone was dismissed (last class of the day). He refused and walked out. A half hour later I'm calling his mom (the adult) who he has already called. She's giving ME hell telling me he should have gotten a warning. I told her he got one - I asked him to put the phone away and he pulled it back out. She still defended him and said she was going to talk to our new AP (another adult) - apparently, they've already spoken. I explained the situation to the AP and told him to expect the call. Nothing happened to the kid. Last week, nearly a carbon copy. Phone out, refused to surrender it, walked out after class. I wrote him up this time. Get an email from the AP saying he talked to the mom and THE NEXT TIME IT HAPPENED there would be consequences. smh - the FNG is worthless.
Unbelievable. When I was in school that would have been over on 1st warning like 99 out of 100 times. God forbid parents get called.

Last edited:
Should they…?

Z
My post was sarcasm as I am a teacher. We have to take the ISASP. It is required to take the test online. One of my elementary students got confused on the writing part of the test and accidentally submitted the test without doing that part of the test. Pearson has it set so that you can't go back in and open it back up so she could do it. So, she will get a horrible score and it will look bad on my students scores.

Should they…?

Z
Wasn’t it on the TX test that they had questions about a poem that the actual poet couldn’t answer?

The only people benefitting from the testing insanity are those - like Pearson - who sell the tests. And they just make shit up like “author’s intent”. There is zero evidence that high-stakes testing improves student outcomes.

Teacher of 23 years here. I loved teaching but got burned out. My depression was sky high. I was burned out. I ended up switching districts. I took a nearly $15,000 payout. I have a Master's and working on a second. My pay is pathetic. But, I am happy. Luckily my wife, no pic, makes much more than me and we have no kids. What frustrates me about teaching now is the lack of respect and support from the Iowa government. I really want to move to the cities as Minnesota teachers get paid more and get more respect.

Reactions: gohawks50
Why would you want to be a teacher now? Covid, remote learning, being called a groomer, restrictions on your speech, relatively low pay …
After 16 years of teaching Special Education, I’m considering a career change. The stress of the job isn’t worth the pay anymore and with the Q movement in many suburban areas, I see little hope moving forward. It’s the system at large here, the elites have pitted us against each, and hoarded the resources. These problems are only going to get exponentially worse.

Teacher of 23 years here. I loved teaching but got burned out. My depression was sky high. I was burned out. I ended up switching districts. I took a nearly $15,000 payout. I have a Master's and working on a second. My pay is pathetic. But, I am happy. Luckily my wife, no pic, makes much more than me and we have no kids. What frustrates me about teaching now is the lack of respect and support from the Iowa government. I really want to move to the cities as Minnesota teachers get paid more and get more respect.
I’m in a similar boat, but live in California.

Reactions: ELCHawk
After 16 years of teaching Special Education, I’m considering a career change. The stress of the job isn’t worth the pay anymore and with the Q movement in many suburban areas, I see little hope moving forward. It’s the system at large here, the elites have pitted us against each, and hoarded the resources. These problems are only going to get exponentially worse.

I’m sorry to hear that.

Several of my aunts are (now retired) teachers and they loved the profession.

It’s clear that the certain groups are dedicated to the destruction of public education. In about 5 years, the usual suspects will be asking why they can’t hire and retain good teachers anymore.

I’m sorry to hear that.

Several of my aunts are (now retired) teachers and they loved the profession.

It’s clear that the certain groups are dedicated to the destruction of public education. In about 5 years, the usual suspects will be asking why they can’t hire and retain good teachers anymore.
It’s the elites, some of whom have control over certain media, telling folks what to believe. While they continue to collect record amounts of money, they’ve been able to take fragility and pit it against educators to deflect against the fact they keep hoarding more and more resources. The Koch brothers and Rupert Murdoch are prime examples.

They want that public money flowing into private hands to benefit private companies and they want to leave the rest with the left over crumbs. Then they use "failing public schools" to justify what they did to those schools.

Reactions: Tom Paris
this is the problem with teacher attrition.

All the other talk about teacher pay, teachers being targeted, etc are just distractions when you have schools that look like Lord of the Flies when you look inside
No...it isn't. Teacher attrition is a nationwide problem and there are comparitively very few "Lord of the Rings" schools out there. When teachers tell you why they're leaving the profession - you should listen.

No...it isn't. Teacher attrition is a nationwide problem and there are comparitively very few "Lord of the Rings" schools out there. When teachers tell you why they're leaving the profession - you should listen.
When Bettendorf is having massive discipline problems, it’s pretty safe to assume the problems are pervasive.

At our local grade 3-5 elementary school, the cops have been called to the school 100 times. For one kid.

this is why public schools are in the crosshairs. The kids that are there to learn are being cast aside, in favor of disruptive kids schools can’t or won’t do anything about.

When Bettendorf is having massive discipline problems, it’s pretty safe to assume the problems are pervasive.
What makes you assume this? Upon what evidence is it based? How does Bettendorf create these issues at other schools?
At our local grade 3-5 elementary school, the cops have been called to the school 100 times. For one kid.
One hundred times. For a single child. Ok
this is why public schools are in the crosshairs. The kids that are there to learn are being cast aside, in favor of disruptive kids schools can’t or won’t do anything about.
LOL...no it isn't. Public schools are "in the crosshairs" because of CRT and other made up problems. GOP legislatures are falling over themselves to pass laws and wingnut school boards are banning books to "address" these non-issues while continuing to deny funding to schools to address real issues. You want to point a finger - there's your target. Let's see how far it goes.

As I said, when teachers are clearly telling you why they're quitting. you should listen.

What makes you assume this? Upon what evidence is it based? How does Bettendorf create these issues at other schools?

One hundred times. For a single child. Ok

LOL...no it isn't. Public schools are "in the crosshairs" because of CRT and other made up problems. GOP legislatures are falling over themselves to pass laws and wingnut school boards are banning books to "address" these non-issues while continuing to deny funding to schools to address real issues. You want to point a finger - there's your target. Let's see how far it goes.

As I said, when teachers are clearly telling you why they're quitting. you should listen.
What, specifically, would additional funding be used for to address real issues?

To me, funding doesn't address lack of discipline and/or disruptive behavior.

• Haha
Reactions: bojihawk44
A truck driver with little to no post secondary education makes more bank than a teacher with a master’s degree in elementary education (or heck, even a PhD). And they don’t have to worry about awful kids or their shitty parents.
Throw in the "Woke"School Boards and who can blame them?

Reducing class size and adding more para professionals would help lessen disruptive behavior which would require additional funding.
Add all the staff you want, but if the manual says the inmates get to run the asylum then that doesn’t solve anything.

I’m not sure exactly when it happened, but no rules and no consequences for disruptive kids is the problem facing public education.

Reactions: onlyTheObvious
Add all the staff you want, but if the manual says the inmates get to run the asylum then that doesn’t solve anything.

I’m not sure exactly when it happened, but no rules and no consequences for disruptive kids is the problem facing public education.
What kind of consequences do you think would improve behavior in public schools?

Agreed. The shit kids need to be pulled from classrooms and stay removed until their behavior changes.

maybe the AEA could earn their bloated budgets by running these schools for troubled kids and bus them all to a central location everyday.

I generally agree with you 100% but behavior is the number one complaint I have been hearing around here for a LONG time, and it continues to get worse. That combined with no backing from above is why we have had a record number of teachers walk off the job in my district this year. Literally quitting in the middle of the day and leaving.

Reactions: hwk23
What, specifically, would additional funding be used for to address real issues?

To me, funding doesn't address lack of discipline and/or disruptive behavior.
It addresses it by getting more adults in the building working with our students. That's my number one wish for spending - hiring adults for our building. Everybody is so short staffed, and then when a kid shows up who absolutely must have a one on one adult, instead of hiring, an adult is pulled from elsewhere and that takes away from a dozen other kids.

Again, we need to hire a lot more adults to be available for kids in our buildings. We are stretched thin. Our paras are burnt out. It's at the point now where the really good paras, who always come to work, are watching others take so many days off, and they have to cover, so now they themselves are saying eff it and taking sick days to get a break. I don't blame them.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT