ADVERTISEMENT

Need to start making some rule changes

IRONBIRD

HR MVP
Dec 2, 2010
We have discussed rule changes many times. Push out rule similar to freestyle would be at the top of my list. One thing that caught my attention again this weekend while watching my son wrestle was the "tap out." Saw 3 separate matches where a kid was on his back and the Ref had to stop the match because the wrestler " tapped out."

One kid was certainly not faking it as he got chin whipped and put into an assassin type hold. He was being joke out, the other 2 matches. The holds where tight no doubt. For example one kid got caught in a Cow Catcher. The other I do not remember, but the point is. All three matches were stopped while a kid was on his back in a legal hold.

One match, the out come was reversed due to the kid getting off his back and a restart given. Now I fully understand the safety issue. The Ref has to stop the match. The rule though should be. The match is over and a pin is awarded.

We have discussed rule changes many times. Push out rule similar to freestyle would be at the top of my list. One thing that caught my attention again this weekend while watching my son wrestle was the "tap out." Saw 3 separate matches where a kid was on his back and the Ref had to stop the match because the wrestler " tapped out."

One kid was certainly not faking it as he got chin whipped and put into an assassin type hold. He was being joke out, the other 2 matches. The holds where tight no doubt. For example one kid got caught in a Cow Catcher. The other I do not remember, but the point is. All three matches were stopped while a kid was on his back in a legal hold.

One match, the out come was reversed due to the kid getting off his back and a restart given. Now I fully understand the safety issue. The Ref has to stop the match. The rule though should be. The match is over and a pin is awarded.
Those matches should be over. Period.

Disagree. The rule is fine as is.
and you certainly have a right to but I would love to here why?

ONLY reason I can think of is because one could say a kid might not want to give up the 6 points and be reluctant to tap. In that case, I would say then the hold is not tight enough where he is more worried about points then breathing/ getting hurt/ dying!

Watch the highest levels of the sport and you will rarely if ever see someone tap. Holds are usually much tighter too. So again, the rule needs to be changed!

ONLY reason I can think of is because one could say a kid might not want to give up the 6 points and be reluctant to tap. In that case, I would say then the hold is not tight enough where he is more worried about points then breathing/ getting hurt/ dying!

Watch the highest levels of the sport and you will rarely if ever see someone tap. Holds are usually much tighter too. So again, the rule needs to be changed!
A lot of the kids who tap are weak and/or scared. They have never been insect "scary" positions. I am not sure you can do much to change the rule. Safety is paramount.

I like the idea of the kid getting an extra point when a kid taps our from his back. I also like a ref who can tell if it is really dangerous and calls the pin before checking on the kid.

Reactions: el dub
Tap out is a FALL! There should be no further discussion about it.

The day we start seeing guys tapping out to avoid getting pinned, and getting rewarded for it with a restart, I'll be a former wrestling fan.
already happening. You may not watch much HS, and/or just stick to top tier events? You will very rarely see it then, which is good. Like I said, 3 matches that I saw this weekend, with 1 kid coming back and getting the win after getting off his back after tapping.

I heard of one ref who asks the kid when he does that if he wants injury time? If he says no, he hits em with an un-sportsmans like. I can also see where that could lead to even more problems.

Like when Desanto couldn't handle getting cradled and cried injury? Or is that different. Asking for a friend.
Was rby’s turn on the foot legal? Was desanto actually hurt? Did hidlay get that takedown against nolf? Those are the real questions. Sometimes they get things right, sometimes they don’t.

Reactions: el dub
Big NO to the push out rule. Makes the mat smaller. We don't need to turn folkstyle into sumo. If refs call stalling as they should, the edge is not an issue.
I wouldn’t mind a push out. But you are right about stalling. It is called more often, definitely needs to be enforced on top. It’s pretty obvious when a guy is actually trying to turn.

Like when Desanto couldn't handle getting cradled and cried injury? Or is that different. Asking for a friend.
The move was illegal, I said legal. That being said, if wrestler is on back and it is a LEGAL hold. It should be a fall.
Big NO to the push out rule. Makes the mat smaller. We don't need to turn folkstyle into sumo. If refs call stalling as they should, the edge is not an issue.
I would start in college and also have a minimum mat size that would be the size of IOWAs mat. Watch Freestyle and you will clearly see how the Wrestlers adopted to the rule. It would be the same in college. Obviously the HAWKS would have a HUGE advantage. Many teams whose styles suck would have problems.
I wouldn’t mind a push out. But you are right about stalling. It is called more often, definitely needs to be enforced on top. It’s pretty obvious when a guy is actually trying to turn.
agree!

Yes.

Reactions: IRONBIRD
A lot of the kids who tap are weak and/or scared. They have never been insect "scary" positions. I am not sure you can do much to change the rule. Safety is paramount.

I like the idea of the kid getting an extra point when a kid taps our from his back. I also like a ref who can tell if it is really dangerous and calls the pin before checking on the kid.
I think it should just be a pinfall. No extra points needed when a kid realizes tapping ends a match rather than getting a restart.

Call the match and give the kid their participation trophy.

Last edited:
I don’t like the rule where if the bottom guy hits a standup and the top guy is obviously trying to follow him or break him back down, that the top guy is the one that is always automatically called for stalling. I see it called when a guy stands up and sprints towards the out of bounds line and the top guy follows because that’s all he can really do when a guy is running like that, yet the top guy is always dinged for stalling. Just kind of stupid… like, what else do you expect the top guy to do?! Apparently they are encouraging the top guy to just let the bottom guy go to promote more wrestling on the feet, but as a top work junky in my day (I’m an ‘01 Mediapolis grad who still holds the career and single season nearfalls record and this is back when we had 50 fewer matches…), it just kind of irritates me. I scored the overwhelming majority of the points I scored on top… and held the career falls record for 2 years before my brother Justin broke it…so yeah, I am partial to top work and it always irritated me because it seems like the top guy always gets the shaft on stalling calls. And there’s nothing I despise more than these pansies who stall on top and don’t try to score from there… they are ruining the fun for the guys who actually try to score from top...

I don’t like the rule where if the bottom guy hits a standup and the top guy is obviously trying to follow him or break him back down, that the top guy is the one that is always automatically called for stalling. I see it called when a guy stands up and sprints towards the out of bounds line and the top guy follows because that’s all he can really do when a guy is running like that, yet the top guy is always dinged for stalling. Just kind of stupid… like, what else do you expect the top guy to do?! Apparently they are encouraging the top guy to just let the bottom guy go to promote more wrestling on the feet, but as a top work junky in my day (I’m an ‘01 Mediapolis grad who still holds the career and single season nearfalls record and this is back when we had 50 fewer matches…), it just kind of irritates me. I scored the overwhelming majority of the points I scored on top… and held the career falls record for 2 years before my brother Justin broke it…so yeah, I am partial to top work and it always irritated me because it seems like the top guy always gets the shaft on stalling calls. And there’s nothing I despise more than these pansies who stall on top and don’t try to score from there… they are ruining the fun for the guys who actually try to score from top...
I'm not as knowledgeable but this makes sense to me.

I had that discussion with a kid from Rock Valley one night whole I had him in double wings and a figure four head lock. He kept complaining to ref that he couldn’t breathe. (But the hold was legal at the time.) I kept telling him to shut up and lay down if he wanted it to end. Lol

Last edited:
I had that discussion with a kid from Rock Valley one night when I had him in double wings and a figure four head lock. He kept complaining to ref that he couldn’t breathe. (But the hold was legal at the time.) I kept telling him to shut up and lay down if he wanted it to end. Lol
I once had a ref tell my opponent who was complaining he couldn't breathe, "if you can talk you can breathe, if you don't like it lay your shoulders down and get pinned." Shortly after that the pin happened.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT