ADVERTISEMENT

Nelson Brands

IAChief32

HR Heisman
Apr 21, 2017
Thought he deserved a thread. Very solid tourney. Beat Gunther and Dongegral...the kid that beat him at Fargo and eventually won it. He has evolved in the short time he has been in our room. Instead of wrestling at full blast for 6 mins like in high school and freestyle, he is more measured and is working hard on his top game which will pay dividends in the future. Even with Gunther, he was able to beat Gunther at his own game...despite what I thought was a big size advantage. Showing a lot of maturity and patience...he will eventually be able to put it on guys but when he has the size and strength advantage. Future is bright and whoever owns 157 better pack a lunch next year.

Thought he deserved a thread. Very solid tourney. Beat Gunther and Dongegral...the kid that beat him at Fargo and eventually won it. He has evolved in the short time he has been in our room. Instead of wrestling at full blast for 6 mins like in high school and freestyle, he is more measured and is working hard on his top game which will pay dividends in the future. Even with Gunther, he was able to beat Gunther at his own game...despite what I thought was a big size advantage. Showing a lot of maturity and patience...he will eventually be able to put it on guys but when he has the size and strength advantage. Future is bright and whoever owns 157 better pack a lunch next year.
I know this is early, but I think I should already be eating crow with Brands. I made some comments in the offseason doubting his ability. He really looks good and appears to be a on a great trajectory. Congrats to him on a great start, and I hope he can continue to improve!

I agree with you on his top game. It looks like he’s been working on that in the room.

extremely encouraging.

judging by the lindenwood thread, i think a lot of hawks fans were surprised/encouraged by the gunther win (and they should be to an extent). but i'm more encouraged by the Braunagel win. I think he's going to be very good, and he was the only one to beat Nelson (13-7) in Fargo.

Nelson can be good.

Good stuff the kid is moving up! Beat Dan Braunagel in finals. (Lost to him at Fargo - 13-7). Had to look some stuff up and the Illinois bio can't even keep the Twin brothers (Zac and Dan) straight. Dan did win Fargo and that just shows the progress this kid is making. Love it!

Last edited:
Reactions: IAChief32
Because the difference right now is very little between the two. I think Young would still beat him right now...at least in the room. Would be very interested in what Midlands brings. But I say let him continue to develop. I would have donated $50 to WFL to see a Carr/Brands match.

Good point on Midlands. It would be cool to see how he stacks up at 157 for Midlands even if they keep the shirt on.

Reactions: Mattski and andegre
I know this is early, but I think I should already be eating crow with Brands. I made some comments in the offseason doubting his ability. He really looks good and appears to be a on a great trajectory. Congrats to him on a great start, and I hope he can continue to improve!

Meh...I think many of us were counting on intangibles plus his pace. I don't know of many that saw the results the past few weekends, especially wrestling up. It's not Midlands or the Scuffle but it was a solid bracket.

Enjoyed the match against Braunagel. I thought Brands moved well; showed good mat presence; had a nice go behind and a couple really nice mat returns. Fun to watch.

I also heard after Spencer's dad gave Tom a 3 ring binder about recruiting, Nelson's dad gave him a 4 ring binder ,,, If true could be big
I don’t think they give rings for national championships in wrestling? But I agree, it will be four.

Reactions: just_somebody
Great tourney by Brands.
I still believe hes better than Young and has more scoring ability. His weakness like so many others is getting out from bottom. But if he keeps wrestling Sorenson, that's going to change.
Wrestling up a weight and defeating last years starter is impressive, especially since it was Gunther, also shows his match against the Bull wasn't a fluke.

Never had any doubt with Nelson... never, ever had any doubt that he would be successful at the college level. For most every sport, you hear of athletes as having the “it” factor. The “it” factor varies for every sport, obviously since every sport is different, but Nelson straight up has the “it” factor for wrestling. He has the attitude/mentality, the physical attributes, the lack of apprehension in terms of being physical with his opponent, the ability to grasp technique quickly, the scrambling ability, the CONFIDENCE, the presence of mind, the mat awareness and the moment will never be too big for him. He has it all. He has “it” for wrestling.

Kid may end up winning a couple championships for the Hawks.

Oh and the Braunagels... Those cats are interesting. I really like them. For about 4 years in a row, our squad wrestled in a tournament that their squad (Althoff Catholic) wrestled at... I’ve known about these guys since they were unknowns...since the oldest brother, Jarrid (wrestled for McKendree) was considered the best of the 3.

I remember sitting down in the hallway a few years ago during an intermission and trying to get a feed for the Chiefs vs. Patriots playoff game and they didn’t see me sitting there while they had a little brother’s meeting. Jarrid was the leader of the 3... they all discussed who they had next round and all 3 of them took turns describing who they had with such respect...like, they would say something along the lines of, “yeah my next opponent is someone I should beat, but he is a very good wrestler with a good carry series.” And they would take turns. And then they all 3 said prayers...all 3 of them prayed for the safety of their opponent and that they could wrestle a match against them without anyone being hurt physically or emotionally due to the pressure some kids face to succeed. And they concluded with a “Hail Mary,” that they all recited together.

I dunno, I thought it was interesting...I was raised Catholic until I was 16 or so, so maybe it hit home for whatever reason... really nice people, that family.

Oh and the Braunagels... Those cats are interesting. I really like them. For about 4 years in a row, our squad wrestled in a tournament that their squad (Althoff Catholic) wrestled at... I’ve known about these guys since they were unknowns...since the oldest brother, Jarrid (wrestled for McKendree) was considered the best of the 3.

I remember sitting down in the hallway a few years ago during an intermission and trying to get a feed for the Chiefs vs. Patriots playoff game and they didn’t see me sitting there while they had a little brother’s meeting. Jarrid was the leader of the 3... they all discussed who they had next round and all 3 of them took turns describing who they had with such respect...like, they would say something along the lines of, “yeah my next opponent is someone I should beat, but he is a very good wrestler with a good carry series.” And they would take turns. And then they all 3 said prayers...all 3 of them prayed for the safety of their opponent and that they could wrestle a match against them without anyone being hurt physically or emotionally due to the pressure some kids face to succeed. And they concluded with a “Hail Mary,” that they all recited together.

I dunno, I thought it was interesting...I was raised Catholic until I was 16 or so, so maybe it hit home for whatever reason... really nice people, that family.

Great story.......thanks for sharing.

This kind of insight and personal story is what makes life more enriched.

does Nelson take scholarship? Most large universities give employees’ kids free/discounted tuition. I’d imagine Iowa is no different. Is he technically a preferred walk on? Is that not a term?

does Nelson take scholarship? Most large universities give employees’ kids free/discounted tuition. I’d imagine Iowa is no different. Is he technically a preferred walk on? Is that not a term?

Most large universities don't offer this. In particular, most public institutions do not offer this. Iowa is among them. It is more prevalent at private schools. Since it isn't published what non-revenue athletes receive in athletic scholarships, no one knows what he's getting. Also, I don't think preferred walk-on is a wrestling term.

Also, I've been very pro-Nelson Brands for some time but I think there's been a hint of irrational exuberance in this thread, based on the level of competition he's seen so far.

Most large universities don't offer this. In particular, most public institutions do not offer this. Iowa is among them. It is more prevalent at private schools. Since it isn't published what non-revenue athletes receive in athletic scholarships, no one knows what he's getting. Also, I don't think preferred walk-on is a wrestling term.

Also, I've been very pro-Nelson Brands for some time but I think there's been a hint of irrational exuberance in this thread, based on the level of competition he's seen so far.

I'm onboard the irrational exuberance train. Choo choo!

Thanks!! I worked at a large private school. Hence my confusion.

As far as too much Nelson love, I think him and Kennedy Monday are similar. He would start for most schools outside the top 10, and a few in it.

Reactions: andegre

Iowa doesn’t give employees’ kids discounts or free tuition.

Reactions: andegre

I get that because, well it's Gunter that he beat, not Mark Hall, and Danny B. However, it wasn't that long ago that Nelson got blasted by Danny. If you would have said at that time that Brands would beat him and Gunter in November most would have said no way.

IMO Nelson is intriguing because he hasn't peaked yet like some other kids who come into the room. He seems like one of those guys who is a sponge and has the work rate to improve rapidly. If he cannot beat out Young next year that mean good news on Young IMO.

mig

I get that because, well it's Gunter that he beat, not Mark Hall, and Danny B. However, it wasn't that long ago that Nelson got blasted by Danny. If you would have said at that time that Brands would beat him and Gunter in November most would have said no way.

IMO Nelson is intriguing because he hasn't peaked yet like some other kids who come into the room. He seems like one of those guys who is a sponge and has the work rate to improve rapidly. If he cannot beat out Young next year that mean good news on Young IMO.

These are the reasons I'm excited about Brands as well. I just think a few choice posts might be over the top. No biggie.

These are the reasons I'm excited about Brands as well. I just think a few choice posts might be over the top. No biggie.
You act as though you've never been on an internet forum with eternal optimists before, on this thread and others. This literally happens every single year in every single sport, until reality sets in later in the year, then it's rinse and repeat the following year with the same folks. Homers, delusional, whatever, but why you would be surprised is beyond me. Of course a few posts are over the top. Duh. There will be more.

In Brands case, he isnt a blue chipper, and he's entered 2 tournaments up a weight and won them both, beating Iowa's starter from last year in the process. We've had better recruits with worse starts. So far so good, and that's all we can ask, win the matches they let you wrestle in.

No scholarship money for him. He will be working summers for the Penn St. wrestling club:rolleyes:

Reactions: Huck and ih8iast8

For what it’s worth this is exactly the way I feel about Big Cass. Brands is not even close to peaking Cass also these guys are going to make serious strides the next few years.

My chocolate mix is that stupid. I didn't think you could mix lab with stupid. Wow, was I wrong.

Chocolates are a little off in the first place as if God said we are going to make you this beautiful, sweet animal but are going to f*ck with your calibration a bit.

Reactions: nearfall2
You act as though you've never been on an internet forum with eternal optimists before, on this thread and others. This literally happens every single year in every single sport, until reality sets in later in the year, then it's rinse and repeat the following year with the same folks. Homers, delusional, whatever, but why you would be surprised is beyond me. Of course a few posts are over the top. Duh. There will be more.

In Brands case, he isnt a blue chipper, and he's entered 2 tournaments up a weight and won them both, beating Iowa's starter from last year in the process. We've had better recruits with worse starts. So far so good, and that's all we can ask, win the matches they let you wrestle in.

I haven’t expressed any surprise. If someone posts that they think Nelson is going to be a 4 time AA and 2 time NCAA champ based off results from two opens where he didn’t face a single ranked wrestler that point is fair game to discuss. This is an Internet forum, after all.

I’ve been pro Nelson Brands for some time and defended him in the past, lest anyone think I’m trying to be a hater.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT