ADVERTISEMENT

Netanyahu Wins............

Total meltdown on MSNBC. Its all the Republicans fault for letting BB come over here and speak to the Congress. Meanwhile Obozo had all sorts of groups over there ( some US tax dollars involved) raising money and trying to defeat Netanyahu.

Oh no....we are all going to war!

This post was edited on 3/18 7:48 AM by txhawk I

Bibi really is a republican-

JERUSALEM (AP) -- With his political future in question, Prime
Minister Benjamin Netanyahu on Tuesday made a last-ditch appeal as
Israelis went to the polls in a tight parliamentary election, warning
his hard-line supporters that high Arab turnout was endangering his
right-wing party's dominance.
Opinion polls had shown a close race
heading into the vote, with Netanyahu's opponents, led by Isaac Herzog
of the centrist Zionist Union, in a slight lead. They also showed gains
by a combined Arab list that could emerge as a kingmaker. The last
available poll was published Friday, when a significant number of voters
were still undecided, meaning the race was still too close to call.
But
amid signs that his six-year reign could be in jeopardy, Netanyahu has
veered sharply to the right in the closing days of the campaign, making a
series of statements aimed at shoring up his nationalist base.

On Tuesday, he reiterated a pledge to prevent the establishment of a
Palestinian state, putting him at odds with the United States and other
Western allies.
He also claimed that his right-wing Likud Party's rule was "in danger" because of Arab voters going to the polls "in droves."
Late
Tuesday, he issued a final plea, warning of a "significant gap" between
Likud and the Zionist Union, and blaming unnamed foreign interests for
working against him.
"We are in a fateful campaign," he said. "The only
way to minimize that gap is to go to the polling station and vote"
Likud.
Netanyahu has used similar doomsday language in the past to
rally supporters to the polls. But his comments about Arab voters were
remarkable because they targeted Israeli citizens, and quickly drew
accusations of racism. Israel's Arabs, who make up 20 percent of the
population, have long complained of discrimination.

A new joint
list of Arab parties, unifying four factions, has energized Arab voters
and was pushing for a high turnout in the usually apathetic sector.
"I
know that usually the prime minister in each country encourages the
people to go vote. Then why is Benjamin Netanyahu getting scared when
the people are voting?" Ayman Odeh, the Arab list's leader, told The
Associated Press in the northern city of Nazareth.
"I say he is right,
he should be scared, because he only has a few hours left as a prime
minister."
Shelly Yacimovich, a lawmaker with the Zionist Union,
said on her Twitter feed that no Western leader would have uttered such a
"racist" remark. "Imagine a warning that begins with 'the rule is
endangered. Black voters are heading in droves to the polls,' " she
wrote.
Wadea Awawdeh, a resident of the Arab town of Kfar Kana,
said Netanyahu "cannot hide his racist feelings toward the Arabs"
anymore. "Netanyahu is angry because he feels he is losing."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/03/17/israel-election-netanyahu_n_6884652.html

The fat lady hasn't sung yet but it seems Israeli voters are just as dumb as US voters.

President Rivlin is calling for a unity government. Netanyahu and Herzog are both nixing that notion for now. Even though Bibi was floating that idea recently when it looked like he would lose.

Keep in mind that neither side has anything close to a majority. But Bibi seems better positioned to form a hard right government from the extreme right minor parties than Herzog is likely to build from moderates and lefties.

It's possible, though, that each side may be able to put together the necessary majority (some centrist parties may be willing to participate with either major party). In which case, it will be up to Rivlin who gets the nod. If that happens, I still expect him to pick Herzog, for reasons I explained in another thread.

Apparently the former Obama campaign operatives that were in Israel working in the Arab get out the vote campaign and busing people to the polls did not work.

Originally posted by Noble Hawk:
Apparently the former Obama campaign operatives that were in Israel working in the Arab get out the vote campaign and busing people to the polls did not work.
Is there any evidence of this? This is the second time here on HROT that someone has said something like that without a link.

Originally posted by What Would Jesus Do?:

Is there any evidence of this? This is the second time here on HROT that someone has said something like that without a link.
Google.

A group that is working to influence the Israeli elections is currently receiving funding from the U.S. Department of State, according to public records and statements from the organization.

The Abraham Fund Initiatives, which is leading an effort to increase Arab voter turnout for the elections on Tuesday, received a $98,000 grant from the State Department's Middle East Partnership Initiative in September, the group said on Tuesday. The grant is funded through December 2015.

The State Department's funding process came under scrutiny in January, after the Free Beacon reported that the nonprofit group OneVoice-which is involved in a similar initiative to increase voter turnout among left-leaning voters-had received grants from the agency.

Arab-Israeli voters traditionally oppose right-leaning parties, such as Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu's Likud. The Arab-Israeli community is expected to play a large role in Tuesday's election, after its four main representative parties merged in January.

Last month, the Free Beacon reported on a private memo drafted in December by the nonprofit Ameinu, which outlined a plan for a coalition of groups to help increase Arab voter turnout in Israel.

Ameinu said in the memo that it was consulting with President Obama's 2012 reelection team on the initiative. Obama's former campaign aides, including the strategist Jeremy Bird, have been assisting an anti-Netanyahu voter drive led by V15 and OneVoice, Haaretz first reported.

The Abraham Fund's current State Department grant, which began on Sept. 30, 2014, is for its youth civics and career training program. According to the Abraham Fund's election action plan, 20 of the participants in its "young political leaders" program have been working on its get-out-the-vote operation.

The Free Beacon reported last month that Givat Haviva, another progressive group working to increase Arab-Israeli voter participation, met with top officials at the U.S. embassy in Tel Aviv in late January. The State Department also expedited visas for a delegation of Arab-Israeli mayors organized by Givat Haviva, which traveled to the U.S. last month to learn political organizing techniques.

The State Department did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

Link

Originally posted by 22*43*51:

Google.

A group that is working to influence the Israeli elections is currently receiving funding from the U.S. Department of State, according to public records and statements from the organization.

The Abraham Fund Initiatives, which is leading an effort to increase Arab voter turnout for the elections on Tuesday, received a $98,000 grant from the State Department's Middle East Partnership Initiative in September, the group said on Tuesday. The grant is funded through December 2015.

The State Department's funding process came under scrutiny in January, after the Free Beacon reported that the nonprofit group OneVoice-which is involved in a similar initiative to increase voter turnout among left-leaning voters-had received grants from the agency.

Arab-Israeli voters traditionally oppose right-leaning parties, such as Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu's Likud. The Arab-Israeli community is expected to play a large role in Tuesday's election, after its four main representative parties merged in January.

Last month, the Free Beacon reported on a private memo drafted in December by the nonprofit Ameinu, which outlined a plan for a coalition of groups to help increase Arab voter turnout in Israel.

Ameinu said in the memo that it was consulting with President Obama's 2012 reelection team on the initiative. Obama's former campaign aides, including the strategist Jeremy Bird, have been assisting an anti-Netanyahu voter drive led by V15 and OneVoice, Haaretz first reported.

The Abraham Fund's current State Department grant, which began on Sept. 30, 2014, is for its youth civics and career training program. According to the Abraham Fund's election action plan, 20 of the participants in its "young political leaders" program have been working on its get-out-the-vote operation.

The Free Beacon reported last month that Givat Haviva, another progressive group working to increase Arab-Israeli voter participation, met with top officials at the U.S. embassy in Tel Aviv in late January. The State Department also expedited visas for a delegation of Arab-Israeli mayors organized by Givat Haviva, which traveled to the U.S. last month to learn political organizing techniques.

Link
That's very interesting. Thanks.

Nice to see my tax money and my government supporting the good guys for a change.

The fat lady hasn't sung yet but it seems Israeli voters are just as dumb as US voters.

President Rivlin is calling for a unity government. Netanyahu and Herzog are both nixing that notion for now. Even though Bibi was floating that idea recently when it looked like he would lose.

Keep in mind that neither side has anything close to a majority. But Bibi seems better positioned to form a hard right government from the extreme right minor parties than Herzog is likely to build from moderates and lefties.

It's possible, though, that each side may be able to put together the necessary majority (some centrist parties may be willing to participate with either major party). In which case, it will be up to Rivlin who gets the nod. If that happens, I still expect him to pick Herzog, for reasons I explained in another thread.
I'll bet liberals are pretty much the same in every western type country.When they lose, it's because the voters are stupid.

The rest of your post is a pipe dream.

Netanyahu has the seats and will pull in the right leaning parties to form his next government.

Netanyahu will still need to form a government. It will be fractious as I've said before. Netanyahu went hard on the fear in the last few days of campaigning and openly flaunted election rules in order to win. Which doesn't solve Israel's problems. Netanyahu has no solution to the Palestinian problem. He has no answers for young Israeli's who think the economy is going in the wrong direction. But, he's going to be tough!

Nice to see my tax money and my government supporting the good guys for a change.
The US policy of picking winners and loser's in the ME is older than Methuselah.

But, I also recognize you backhanding the Jews as "bad guys" which is at least consistent with your anti-Semitic posting history.

Originally posted by lucas80:
Netanyahu will still need to form a government. It will be fractious as I've said before. Netanyahu went hard on the fear in the last few days of campaigning and openly flaunted election rules in order to win. Which doesn't solve Israel's problems. Netanyahu has no solution to the Palestinian problem. He has no answers for young Israeli's who think the economy is going in the wrong direction. But, he's going to be tough!
You might want to keep in mind that the Palestinians don't even have a peaceful solution to the problem.

How do you expect any Israeli PM to have and implement a solution?

The US policy of picking winners and loser's in the ME is older than Methuselah.

But, I also recognize you backhanding the Jews as "bad guys" which is at least consistent with your anti-Semitic posting history.
Well sure. And all around the world. But we usually aren't obvious about it with allies. In fact, even in this case, it seems very tame and above board. Rather less blatant than Obama campaigning for/against candidates in "official" American states and territories. And hardly a drop in the bucket compared with Israeli attempts to subvert our elections.

That said, I disapprove. We should stop meddling so much. I'm sure there are some countries where I would approve. But too many times when we meddle, violent conflict isn't far behind. Back in the 70s and 80s we had some sense of the limits that were proper. But we have "deregulated" in this sphere, as in others, with dubious consequences.

This post was edited on 3/18 9:43 AM by What Would Jesus Do?

Obama sends in his minions to ferguson and the town burns, he sends in his minions to burn down Israel and they tell Obama to take a hike

I see the WH is showing it's typical class by avoiding congratulating Bibi. Bitter much? So typical of this group.

Originally posted by 86Hawkeye:

You might want to keep in mind that the Palestinians don't even have a peaceful solution to the problem.

You are wrong. A lot of Palestinians have a peaceful solution. They don't get any press. What is required is Israel to stop expanding it's settlements and compromise. Netanyahu has now reversed himself and said he will not push for a two state solution. He's been giving lip service about this for years. He is saying he will give the go ahead to more settlements in Palestinian areas. Something the ultra right wingers in Israel love, but moderates do not want.
I don't think a lot of people understand the way a parliamentary system like Israel's works. Small parties can have outsized influence. And, we could all be watching another election within a year. It is very fractious there.

Hey Lucas, tell that to Bill Clinton. But really, all the Israelis need to do is compromise.

Well sure. And all around the world. But we usually aren't obvious about it with allies. In fact, even in this case, it seems very tame and above board. Rather less blatant than Obama campaigning for/against candidates in "official" American states and territories. And hardly a drop in the bucket compared with Israeli attempts to subvert our elections.

That said, I disapprove. We should stop meddling so much. I'm sure there are some countries where I would approve. But too many times when we meddle, violent conflict isn't far behind. Back in the 70s and 80s we had some sense of the limits that were proper. But we have "deregulated" in this sphere, as in others, with dubious consequences.

Within the span of 18 minutes you went from being happy about this meddling to disapproving.

What changed?

Originally posted by THE_DEVIL:

Bibi really is a republican-

JERUSALEM (AP) -- With his political future in question, Prime
Minister Benjamin Netanyahu on Tuesday made a last-ditch appeal as
Israelis went to the polls in a tight parliamentary election, warning
his hard-line supporters that high Arab turnout was endangering his
right-wing party's dominance.
Opinion polls had shown a close race
heading into the vote, with Netanyahu's opponents, led by Isaac Herzog
of the centrist Zionist Union, in a slight lead. They also showed gains
by a combined Arab list that could emerge as a kingmaker. The last
available poll was published Friday, when a significant number of voters
were still undecided, meaning the race was still too close to call.
But
amid signs that his six-year reign could be in jeopardy, Netanyahu has
veered sharply to the right in the closing days of the campaign, making a
series of statements aimed at shoring up his nationalist base.

On Tuesday, he reiterated a pledge to prevent the establishment of a
Palestinian state, putting him at odds with the United States and other
Western allies.
He also claimed that his right-wing Likud Party's rule was "in danger" because of Arab voters going to the polls "in droves."
Late
Tuesday, he issued a final plea, warning of a "significant gap" between
Likud and the Zionist Union, and blaming unnamed foreign interests for
working against him.
"We are in a fateful campaign," he said. "The only
way to minimize that gap is to go to the polling station and vote"
Likud.
Netanyahu has used similar doomsday language in the past to
rally supporters to the polls. But his comments about Arab voters were
remarkable because they targeted Israeli citizens, and quickly drew
accusations of racism. Israel's Arabs, who make up 20 percent of the
population, have long complained of discrimination.

A new joint
list of Arab parties, unifying four factions, has energized Arab voters
and was pushing for a high turnout in the usually apathetic sector.
"I
know that usually the prime minister in each country encourages the
people to go vote. Then why is Benjamin Netanyahu getting scared when
the people are voting?" Ayman Odeh, the Arab list's leader, told The
Associated Press in the northern city of Nazareth.
"I say he is right,
he should be scared, because he only has a few hours left as a prime
minister."
Shelly Yacimovich, a lawmaker with the Zionist Union,
said on her Twitter feed that no Western leader would have uttered such a
"racist" remark. "Imagine a warning that begins with 'the rule is
endangered. Black voters are heading in droves to the polls,' " she
wrote.
Wadea Awawdeh, a resident of the Arab town of Kfar Kana,
said Netanyahu "cannot hide his racist feelings toward the Arabs"
anymore. "Netanyahu is angry because he feels he is losing."
Right, because lefties aren't using doomsday language with the man-made global warming myth. Great point.

Originally posted by FlickShagwell:

Google.

Link

I'm sure 22 has no problem with those other billions of American dollars going to Israel, though.
You got that from my copy/paste/link?

Google.

Link
I don't think this says what you think it says.

Clearer victory than thought last night.
Their system seems complicated. Not sure if its better for minorities or worse. I guess they make a lot of deals between each other and the PM has more power than our President. Maybe that's why Cons like that system better?

Originally posted by wildcatdad:
Their system seems complicated. Not sure if its better for minorities or worse. I guess they make a lot of deals between each other and the PM has more power than our President. Maybe that's why Cons like that system better?
I think you are correct that minority views gain power under a parlimentry system, but the PM isn't more powerful. The PM needs to maintain support for his agenda or an election is automatically called. Their PM is more like the majority leader in congress except that when Bibi pulls a Boehner, it means the government dissolves. Thats why there was one yesterday, he couldn't get a budget passed. If the US had that system, we would have an election every 3 months.

Originally posted by naturalmwa:

I think you are correct that minority views gain power under a parlimentry system, but the PM isn't more powerful. The PM needs to maintain support for his agenda or an election is automatically called. Their PM is more like the majority leader in congress except that when Bibi pulls a Boehner, it means the government dissolves. Thats why there was one yesterday, he couldn't get a budget passed. If the US had that system, we would have an election every 3 months.

Kind of like King for a day. It seems to me that he may have some problems coming up that may require a new election sooner rather than later. I think the Arabs need to keep working within the system and gaining power to force a more moderate stance on their issues. With all the talk about Arab extremists it seems to me the ones who have some input in their government are the most capable of making compromises.

This post was edited on 3/18 2:12 PM by wildcatdad

Kind of like King for a day. It seems to me that he may have some problems coming up that may require a new election sooner rather than later. I think the Arabs need to keep working within the system and gaining power to force a more moderate stance on their issues. With all the talk about Arab extremists it seems to me the ones who have some input in their government are the most capable of making compromises.

Not very much like 'King for the day" IMO. A King would put up the budget and expect his followers to solute and pass it. That is not what happened which is why there was an election. Now there will be a slightly different coalition that will try to pass a slightly different budget. I have no idea if they will succeed, but that process of collective compromise isn't very imperial.

Your point on the Israeli Arabs working within the system to affect change seems smart. But IIRC, Israel has some structural rules or policies that effectively limit Arab participation in the government. I mean if they didn't the Arab population would just vote the Jews out and have control, right? Can anyone confirm or deny that?

Not very much like 'King for the day" IMO. A King would put up the budget and expect his followers to solute and pass it. That is not what happened which is why there was an election. Now there will be a slightly different coalition that will try to pass a slightly different budget. I have no idea if they will succeed, but that process of collective compromise isn't very imperial.

Your point on the Israeli Arabs working within the system to affect change seems smart. But IIRC, Israel has some structural rules or policies that effectively limit Arab participation in the government. I mean if they didn't the Arab population would just vote the Jews out and have control, right? Can anyone confirm or deny that?

I don't think there is any doubt who runs that asylum. It was set up for a specific purpose as a Jewish Homeland. But I find it interesting that they are committed to a two state solution, yet cannot seem to reach that objective. Isn't that somewhere in their charter?

Isnt Bibi kind of acting like George Wallace when he says, Segregation Now, Segregation forever?

I don't think there is any doubt who runs that asylum. It was set up for a specific purpose as a Jewish Homeland. But I find it interesting that they are committed to a two state solution, yet cannot seem to reach that objective. Isn't that somewhere in their charter?

Isnt Bibi kind of acting like George Wallace when he says, Segregation Now, Segregation forever?
I think part of the rational for 2 states is so there is a place to put the Arab population and wash your hands of them. Am I correct in that? I don't feel like looking up their charter at the moment, I'll let one of the Bibi fans answer that one.

How do you know this?

How do you know this?
Hillary's emails.

And passing out Obama phones.

the-free-obamaphone-obamaphone-politics-1348889140.jpg

This post was edited on 3/18 6:46 PM by sijoint

Apparently what did them in was they brought over a bunch of those hopey changey signs, the Israelis not being as stupid as the average American didn't bite.

This post was edited on 3/18 9:21 PM by Arbitr8

Within the span of 18 minutes you went from being happy about this meddling to disapproving.

What changed?
Your comprehension?

I said I generally disapprove of meddling. I also said that I think this meddling is trivial and on the right side. No contradiction that I see.

As you should be aware, I am consistently on the side of democracy and invariably favor letting and getting more people to vote. Netanyahu clearly expressed his concern and disapproval with some citizens exercising their right to vote in Israel. Even if I liked Netanyahu, I would oppose that position.

I may not like

What changed?
Your comprehension?

I said I generally disapprove of meddling. I also said that I think this meddling is trivial and on the right side. No contradiction that I see.

As you should be aware, I am consistently on the side of democracy and invariably favor letting and getting more people to vote. Netanyahu clearly expressed his concern and disapproval with some citizens exercising their right to vote in Israel. Even if I liked Netanyahu, I would oppose that position.

I may not like

What the USA meddle in other peoples business, naahhhhhhh. We are too exceptional to do that. As Reagan said when they asked him about it. "Huh"?

You are wrong. A lot of Palestinians have a peaceful solution. They don't get any press. What is required is Israel to stop expanding it's settlements and compromise. Netanyahu has now reversed himself and said he will not push for a two state solution. He's been giving lip service about this for years. He is saying he will give the go ahead to more settlements in Palestinian areas. Something the ultra right wingers in Israel love, but moderates do not want.
I don't think a lot of people understand the way a parliamentary system like Israel's works. Small parties can have outsized influence. And, we could all be watching another election within a year. It is very fractious there.
Israeli politics may be fractious, but the Palestinians don't even have an effective national government.

You also ignore Hamas, which will never make peace with Israel.

Is Israel supposed to give up land for peace with only half of "Palestine"?

Israeli politics may be fractious, but the Palestinians don't even have an effective national government.

You also ignore Hamas, which will never make peace with Israel.

Is Israel supposed to give up land for peace with only half of "Palestine"? They already have that.

Originally posted by sijoint:

This hypocrite whines about money influencing elections........after sinking American money into Israel's election to defeat Netanyahu? Throw them in prison....fine them if they don't vote.
ohwell.r191677.gif

This post was edited on 3/18 9:15 PM by sijoint
Mandatory voting would be a brilliant way to marginalize special interests and return our government back to the center. Given your views, I can understand why you wouldn't want that. While we are at it we should just adopt the rest of the Australian voting system including preferential voting and anti-gerrymandering provisions. Count me in.

Originally posted by sijoint:

This hypocrite whines about money influencing elections........after sinking American money into Israel's election to defeat Netanyahu? Throw them in prison....fine them if they don't vote.
ohwell.r191677.gif

This post was edited on 3/18 9:15 PM by sijoint
Mandatory voting would be a brilliant way to marginalize special interests and return our government back to the center. Given your views, I can understand why you wouldn't want that. While we are at it we should just adopt the rest of the Australian voting system including preferential voting and anti-gerrymandering provisions. Count me in.
No, it would be another way of conrolling/dictating people's lives......probably creat more voting abuse, voter fraud.....which Democrats are noted for.......like, "I'll you a new phone if you vote for me." Apparently Obama and the liberals don't really believe in what he's trying to sell because of what they just did.....tried to defeat Netanyahu...by spending money, dispatching people to Israel to defeat Netanyahu. This guy is sleeeeezy. Give him his old job back reorganizing Cuba....or Iran......some place other than the US. Take Valerie Jarrett and the rest of your low life administration with him.

This post was edited on 3/18 10:01 PM by sijoint

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT