ADVERTISEMENT

New Big 12 Hype has begun

paednoch23

HR MVP
Oct 23, 2009
As predicted. Pollard has his turd polishing towel out and is hard at it. "The New Big 12 will be better than ever." I'm not sure how replacing 2 P5 schools with G6 schools makes a conference better. Thoughts?

As predicted. Pollard has his turd polishing towel out and is hard at it. "The New Big 12 will be better than ever." I'm not sure how replacing 2 P5 schools with G6 schools makes a conference better. Thoughts?
Water is wet and Pollard overstates something.

I am interested to see if the Big Ten/ACC/SEC/Pac-12 sign off on letting the the Big 12 have an auto-bid to an expanded playoff. I would say not so fast if I'm in those leagues. There will be arguments on both sides, but finishing first among a crowd of BYU, UCF, Houston, Cincinnati, ISU, Oklahoma State is not the same as beating out OSU/Penn State/Michigan/Wisconsin or Alabama/Georgia/Florida or the other leagues.

Hey now don’t go and poke the Bear. Pollard will go off on you and CyTwit will back him up.

Since pollard is sooooo good at selling snake oil and treating debt as revenue and social media trolling, maybe he can do his magic and help me post a friggin gif.

Last edited:

I am interested to see if the Big Ten/ACC/SEC/Pac-12 sign off on letting the the Big 12 have an auto-bid to an expanded playoff. I would say not so fast if I'm in those leagues. There will be arguments on both sides, but finishing first among a crowd of BYU, UCF, Houston, Cincinnati, ISU, Oklahoma State is not the same as beating out OSU/Penn State/Michigan/Wisconsin or Alabama/Georgia/Florida or the other leagues.

I don't think any of the P4 conferences will be on board to legitimize a conference that will only add competition, especially after losing their only 2 prestigious schools.

I think an 8 team playoff with 4 autobids and a cap of 2 teams per power conference is gonna be the future.

The Alliance flexing its muscle and making the SEC look like ass hats for adding all of that competition for Bama, LSU and Georgia. That's the best case scenario. If SEC branches off, screw em. The rest of the country hates them and they can see how long they enjoy being a regional sport.

I don't think any of the P4 conferences will be on board to legitimize a conference that will only add competition, especially after losing their only 2 prestigious schools.

I think an 8 team playoff with 4 autobids and a cap of 2 teams per power conference is gonna be the future.

The Alliance flexing its muscle and making the SEC look like ass hats for adding all of that competition for Bama, LSU and Georgia. That's the best case scenario. If SEC branches off, screw em. The rest of the country hates them and they can see how long they enjoy being a regional sport.
I think, after recent court rulings, expanding the playoff without expanding "access" will ne universally panned, and may result in more court battles, which NCAA and conferences and alliances can ill afford.

But the only thing WORSE than court battles? Congressional/legislative involvement. Trust me, even the dumbest school or conference admin doesn't want that.

OK the New Big 12 is as good as the Big East when they let them Keep their Power status. I see the Big 12 being as good as the PAC and ACC from top to bottom in a few short years. With more $$$$ Teams like BYU, UCF, Cincy will be a handful that teams will not want to play. Pride comes before the fall guys and looking down on teams that have beaten several big boy teams should not be taken lightly.
UCF is a sleeping giant
Cincy already a top 10 team turning into a program
BYU has won a ton of games the past 15 years
Houston is a football school in a football state who is not afraid of spending $$$
TCU has been tough
OK St has win 93 games in 10 years
Baylor has had special seasons the past 10 years
Iowa State has been decent of late
K State wins More than they lose
So year not a bad conference
Tex TECH has been so so but not awful
Kansas sucks

Last edited:
ISU has a chance of being the alpha dog for the Big 12 once Texas and OSU leave. For Dr. Seuss fans, they'll be Yertle the Turtle.

• Haha
Reactions: nu2u
I think, after recent court rulings, expanding the playoff without expanding "access" will ne universally panned, and may result in more court battles, which NCAA and conferences and alliances can ill afford.

But the only thing WORSE than court battles? Congressional/legislative involvement. Trust me, even the dumbest school or conference admin doesn't want that.
Law suits, probably?

However, who has the coin to finance a drawn out legal battle, certainly not the BigXII. As well as, the various state legislatures, also in debt. The XII has an out; however, join the FCS, then they too are not prohibited from a chance at a championship playoff.

The XII better also consider all and any unitended consequiences before undertaking such an approach and have a firm grasp of the risk/reward for a legal resolution strategy.

Which ever path they choose, it is still "follow the money".

OK the New Big 12 is as good as the Big East when they let them Keep their Power status. I see the Big 12 being as good as the PAC and ACC from top to bottom in a few short years. With more $$$$ Teams like BYU, UCF, Cincy will be a handful that teams will not want to play. Pride comes before the fall guys and looking down on teams that have beaten several big boy teams should not be taken lightly.
UCF is a sleeping giant
Houston is a football school in a football state who is not afraid of spending $$$
TCU has been tough
Kansas sucks

I agree with where they are now with your assessment. The issue is you are putting your money on schools that aren't normally football schools and are good right now mainly because of their coaches who may or may not be there in the near future (Campbell, Finkel, Klieman)

I do agree that UCF and Houston are or have the potential to be bit time programs with their population base and their recruiting area. Problem with UCF is they will always be playing 4th fiddle in the state for most kids. Also, are they able to keep up now that they will play better competition weekly?

Something to think about

Law suits, probably?

However, who has the coin to finance a drawn out legal battle, certainly not the BigXII. As well as, the various state legislatures, also in debt. The XII has an out; however, join the FCS, then they too are not prohibited from a chance at a championship playoff.

The XII better also consider all and any unitended consequiences before undertaking such an approach and have a firm grasp of the risk/reward for a legal resolution strategy.

Which ever path they choose, it is still "follow the money".
Big XII won't have to pursue anything. Any expanded playoff that doesn't allow expanded access will come under attack from self-important Congressmen, Congresswomen, Senators, state legislators and governors. Game over.

It’s not the worst conference in the world, but it’s not the SEC, B1G or PAC either. The only reason one could argue it’ll be better than ever is because there will be more parity. Without Oklahoma and Texas, there’s no real heavyweight anymore (in football that is… in basketball you still have Kansas). More competitive. Revenue-wise though, it will NOT be better than ever.

UCF is a sleeping giant
TCU has been tough
Kansas sucks
Stop. Just stop.

you’re assuming there will be more money. No. Less money per school than they were getting. And cinci has nearly $300M in debt in athletic program. Huge scandals in that program and it’s not sustainable. Not at all.

Kansas AD said publicly that new b12 will be “poorer”. He knows much more than you and me. He is right.

These new schools make the conference larger but smaller, more mouths to feed, smaller fan bases.

I agree with where they are now with your assessment. The issue is you are putting your money on schools that aren't normally football schools and are good right now mainly because of their coaches who may or may not be there in the near future (Campbell, Finkel, Klieman)

I do agree that UCF and Houston are or have the potential to be bit time programs with their population base and their recruiting area. Problem with UCF is they will always be playing 4th fiddle in the state for most kids. Also, are they able to keep up now that they will play better competition weekly?

Something to think about
Fair points but Cincy, UCF, BYU have had over a decade of football success so the flash in the pan argument might be tough to keep up when they have and keep winning. Now there will be better competition but the recruiting for these teams should get better as well one would figure so I think thats a wash there. And UCF might be 4th fiddle but Florida's 4th best kid is pretty good

Hey now...nobody knows water better than the folks in Ames. ;)

Stop. Just stop.

you’re assuming there will be more money. No. Less money per school than they were getting. And cinci has nearly $300M in debt in athletic program. Huge scandals in that program and it’s not sustainable. Not at all.

Kansas AD said publicly that new b12 will be “poorer”. He knows much more than you and me. He is right.

These new schools make the conference larger but smaller, more mouths to feed, smaller fan bases.
But Cincy, BYU , UCF, Houston will be making more so they will have an opportunity at better coaching and recruiting. And a few big bowl games will take care of Cincy's woes

Last edited:
UCF is a sleeping giant
TCU has been tough
Kansas sucks
LOL. As CyTwit would say. No way the new version of the Texas Ten is anywhere near as good as the ACC or Pac-12. They can fight it out with the other Group of 5 Conferences for the one NY6 bid.

Still think those road trips to conference games is going to give some recruits and their families pause. Not every kid is signing a NIL deal and not every family is made of $$$.

Can you imagine living in Ames or Manhattan or Stillwater and driving/flying to Houston/Florida/Provo/Cincy for a weekend? That's thousands of dollars in airfare/hotel/meals each trip.

I realize the Irate 8 needs to paint a positive future, but that's a hard sell for many.

Reactions: WadeWilson and nu2u
From the KC Times . . . another AD's perspective on the addition of 4 teams to the Big 12: https://www.kansascity.com/sports/college/big-12/university-of-kansas/article254150223.html

This strikes me as realistic and measured commentary.

Earlier, Goff lauded the additions of BYU, Houston, Cincinnati and UCF to the conference, saying “I really think there was no question about who the right four were” based on those programs’ football teams, markets and fan bases.

“It’s clearly a good day for the Big 12, in terms of having alignment and taking a position of strength,” Goff said. “In other words, just to oversimplify, it wasn’t an option for the Big 12 to sit idle, and to not act and to not solidify itself as much as you can in this uncertain environment. That’s what today does, is it signals strength. It signals clarity about a future path.”

Goff also gave credit to Bowlsby.

“It was a really, relatively obvious four (teams), and it was a really, relatively obvious strategy. But the thing is, it still had to be executed,” Goff said. “And the commissioner deserves a ton of credit for having that strength, having that clarity, being able to bring together presidents and chancellors so there wasn’t going to be any misalignment or any question about the path forward.”

As for Pollard's comments, here's a quote from an article on 247Sports.com: https://247sports.com/college/iowa-...ard-comments-on-Pete-Thamel-report-170435720/

"What really excites me is, I think that you could make a really strong argument that in football, from top to bottom, will be more competitive,” Pollard said. “And one team will be staying unnamed, currently a member of the Big 12, has only won two football championships in their whole time in the Big 12. So not the record that they seem to think they have. But some of those [reported additions to the Big 12] have really storied football tradition and some of them have been really good over the last several years. And then if you flip it over and look at basketball, you go 'Oh my gosh.' Basketball probably got three times harder. So I think that's really exciting for Iowa State."

It seems odd that he'd single out Texas (without naming them) for not having as much recent success as they "think they have" and ignoring Texas' historical standing in the college football arena (let alone the massive $$$ associated with their following) while simultaneously touting "storied football traditions" for some of the new additions to the Big 12. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but on the "storied football traditions" scale, I feel confident writing that Oklahoma and Texas have much more "storied football tradition" than BYU, Houston, Cincinnati and Central Florida.

All that written, I have a hard time finding blame with an AD who is trying to promote the new composition of a conference in which his school is a member.

Reactions: nu2u
The footprint of the B12 is larger but the draw for the schools they added is relatively small compared to the Power conferences. This relegates the new B12 to Group of 5 (would be 6 now), especially with the alliances being set up. Without Texas or Oklahoma, there is no way that the B12 will be able to stay in the Power 5 group, at least not for football (the cash cow).

The proposed 12-team CFP never had autobids for the power conferences. It had autobids to the highest ranked 6 conference champions. This was to avoid any claims that G5 teams didn't have access. The B12 never had an autobid, and never will have an autobid. Stop worrying about autobids.

The true way that B12 is defined as a power conference is the Sugar Bowl contract. The real question is if they retain that contract in the next cycle. I strongly doubt that will happen.

When that happens, I'm sure Pollard will claim that their champion going to the Heart Of Dallas Bowl is actually better than the Sugar Bowl.

But Cincy, BYU , UCF, Houston will be making more so they will have an opportunity at better coaching and recruiting. And a few big bowl games will take care of Cincy's woes
Yeah I’m sure you’re right and the Kansas AD is wrong and cinci can keep all its national championship bowl winnings itself and not share with a dozen other conference members and it’s all going to be so so so much better in the little 12 without all those colossal programs with huge revenues and huge fan bases that left the conference in the last decade.

Blue chip recruits love playing for shaky teams in low budget stadiums and lower level conferences and low ranked institutions with much smaller fan bases and lower national media profiles. After all, they can’t make any money from name image or likeness on social media and in national media, right?

ISU fans have been more naive than ever the last few months. Your outlook for this new conference of leftouts and leftovers is eternally hopeful and incredibly optimistic, actually magical thinking. Like devoted Clone fans who drank the kool aid.

But reality hits hard. That’s why tens of thousands of ISU fans left the game way early, tails between their legs, some of them in tears. Delusions hurt when reality crashes down on you. Debt can be crushing. And usually is.

This is about money. And this new conference is poor - and all its members are very poor - compared to the B10 and SEC.

Money will drive success because of NIL and program revenues more than ever going forward. And the b12 will not be competitive top to bottom, because their top won’t even be on the same level of SEC or B10 conference bottom teams. New massive TV contracts will see to that. It’ll be B10 and SEC teams earning 3-5 times per program what smaller conferences will earn. Look at the trends.

this is the new normal.

present rankings do not predict anything. Top coaches can’t be retained in a smaller poorer conference either. Do you think fickell or Campbell aim to spend their careers in small market low tier schools in a “poor” conference?

be honest and be realistic.

Last edited:
UCF is a sleeping giant
TCU has been tough
Kansas sucks
It is easy to be good when you look at who UCF and Cincy and who they are playing in the AAC and BYU’s independent schedule of half P5 half mid major teams. As for Houston they’ve been a .500 team the past 5 years. I will say as long as Fickel is at Cincy i think they’ll be good as they maybe the biggest winner of all of this with him being an Ohio guy who may stay put now.

But look at TCU they lost 5 games in 4 years before joining big 12 and struggled first 2 years once they joined. They’ve had some good years but plenty of mediocre since and like Cincy they’ve benefited by having Patterson stay. Baylor got good because of briles and his shady tactics they’ve sucked since minus one year with rhule who is gone now. Speaking of sucking Texas tech post mike leach is exactly that. Wvu is just an afterthought 600 miles away from closest school in east coast waiting and practically begging acc for an invite. okie st and kstate probably 2 most solid, stable and successful programs left and that doesn’t bode too well for big 12.

“It was a really, relatively obvious four (teams), and it was a really, relatively obvious strategy. But the thing is, it still had to be executed,” Goff said.

Lmao. That compliment is pure fluff.

Reactions: Rambler Hawk
Big XII won't have to pursue anything. Any expanded playoff that doesn't allow expanded access will come under attack from self-important Congressmen, Congresswomen, Senators, state legislators and governors. Game over.
All the Alliance and the SEC have to do is form a playoff between the 4 conferences and call it the Alliance Championship or something like that. They don't have to call it a National Championship though it will be recognized as such. Not much different than the PAC and BIG Rose Bowl tie in, just adding two more conferences to the mix.

The marketing firms will be out in force, but ESPN and the rest of the networks know. And athletes will know. They are the AA league to our AAA league.

From the KC Times . . . another AD's perspective on the addition of 4 teams to the Big 12: https://www.kansascity.com/sports/college/big-12/university-of-kansas/article254150223.html

Earlier, Goff lauded the additions of BYU, Houston, Cincinnati and UCF to the conference, saying “I really think there was no question about who the right four were” based on those programs’ football teams, markets and fan bases.

“It’s clearly a good day for the Big 12, in terms of having alignment and taking a position of strength,” Goff said. “In other words, just to oversimplify, it wasn’t an option for the Big 12 to sit idle, and to not act and to not solidify itself as much as you can in this uncertain environment. That’s what today does, is it signals strength. It signals clarity about a future path.”

“It was a really, relatively obvious four (teams), and it was a really, relatively obvious strategy. But the thing is, it still had to be executed,” Goff said. “And the commissioner deserves a ton of credit for having that strength, having that clarity, being able to bring together presidents and chancellors so there wasn’t going to be any misalignment or any question about the path forward.”

As for Pollard's comments, here's a quote from an article on 247Sports.com: https://247sports.com/college/iowa-...ard-comments-on-Pete-Thamel-report-170435720/

"What really excites me is, I think that you could make a really strong argument that in football, from top to bottom, will be more competitive,” Pollard said. “And one team will be staying unnamed, currently a member of the Big 12, has only won two football championships in their whole time in the Big 12. So not the record that they seem to think they have. But some of those [reported additions to the Big 12] have really storied football tradition and some of them have been really good over the last several years. And then if you flip it over and look at basketball, you go 'Oh my gosh.' Basketball probably got three times harder. So I think that's really exciting for Iowa State."

It seems odd that he'd single out Texas (without naming them) for not having as much recent success as they "think they have" and ignoring Texas' historical standing in the college football arena (let alone the massive $$$ associated with their following) while simultaneously touting "storied football traditions" for some of the new additions to the Big 12. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but on the "storied football traditions" scale, I feel confident writing that Oklahoma and Texas have much more "storied football tradition" than BYU, Houston, Cincinnati and Central Florida.

All that written, I have a hard time finding blame with an AD who is trying to promote the new composition of a conference in which his school is a member.
He has to sell tickets. If he can make the pawns believe it maybe they keep coming. Have to remember their die hards still think they are better than Iowa having lost so many in a row.

The other 8 schools win be making less, so they will have worse coaches and recruiting?

Oh yeah those congress people from big states who graduated from those big schools will be so excited to make sure New Mexico state can participate.

Can you imagine living in Ames or Manhattan or Stillwater and driving/flying to Houston/Florida/Provo/Cincy for a weekend? That's thousands of dollars in airfare/hotel/meals each trip.
Cause Austin and Norman were closer?

Might want to try again on that argument. (also the parents aren't likely living in ames or Manhattan)

Texas destroyed the big 12. Everyone knew it would happen eventually and then Texas would move along. Texas will do the same to the SEC over time as well. They can't help themselves

The big 12 will be fine.

• Haha
Reactions: BBHawk
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT