ADVERTISEMENT

New Big 12 Hype has begun

From the KC Times . . . another AD's perspective on the addition of 4 teams to the Big 12: https://www.kansascity.com/sports/college/big-12/university-of-kansas/article254150223.html

This strikes me as realistic and measured commentary.

Earlier, Goff lauded the additions of BYU, Houston, Cincinnati and UCF to the conference, saying “I really think there was no question about who the right four were” based on those programs’ football teams, markets and fan bases.

“It’s clearly a good day for the Big 12, in terms of having alignment and taking a position of strength,” Goff said. “In other words, just to oversimplify, it wasn’t an option for the Big 12 to sit idle, and to not act and to not solidify itself as much as you can in this uncertain environment. That’s what today does, is it signals strength. It signals clarity about a future path.”

Goff also gave credit to Bowlsby.

“It was a really, relatively obvious four (teams), and it was a really, relatively obvious strategy. But the thing is, it still had to be executed,” Goff said. “And the commissioner deserves a ton of credit for having that strength, having that clarity, being able to bring together presidents and chancellors so there wasn’t going to be any misalignment or any question about the path forward.”

As for Pollard's comments, here's a quote from an article on 247Sports.com: https://247sports.com/college/iowa-...ard-comments-on-Pete-Thamel-report-170435720/

"What really excites me is, I think that you could make a really strong argument that in football, from top to bottom, will be more competitive,” Pollard said. “And one team will be staying unnamed, currently a member of the Big 12, has only won two football championships in their whole time in the Big 12. So not the record that they seem to think they have. But some of those [reported additions to the Big 12] have really storied football tradition and some of them have been really good over the last several years. And then if you flip it over and look at basketball, you go 'Oh my gosh.' Basketball probably got three times harder. So I think that's really exciting for Iowa State."

It seems odd that he'd single out Texas (without naming them) for not having as much recent success as they "think they have" and ignoring Texas' historical standing in the college football arena (let alone the massive $$$ associated with their following) while simultaneously touting "storied football traditions" for some of the new additions to the Big 12. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but on the "storied football traditions" scale, I feel confident writing that Oklahoma and Texas have much more "storied football tradition" than BYU, Houston, Cincinnati and Central Florida.

All that written, I have a hard time finding blame with an AD who is trying to promote the new composition of a conference in which his school is a member.

Those two championships he mentioned are two more than Clown College has in my lifetime.

Iowa fans will bad mouth Pollard no matter what he does. Some of his moves warrant criticism, some don't.

He is simply doing his job here. Promoting + supporting Iowa State + their conference. What else would you expect him to do?

Moving forward (after OU + Texas leave), I will still go to games. I will still support my university + the FB team.

I'm not smart enough to know if the Big 12 "deserves" P5 starus or not. ESPN runs the show + they will determine that.

I still think this isn't over + EVERYONE should be a little nervous. The remaining Big 12 teams bore the brunt of ESPN, SEC, OU + Texas' greed. Maybe they should've seen this coming? Who knows. My point is that most P5 teams (regardless of conference) are pawns in this money grab called college FB.

Iowa fans bad mouth Pollard because he has been talking shit about Iowa since he showed up in Ames. "We're the bear now". Yeah, a koala bear, even though that isn't technically a bear but facts don't matter. Him getting tossed from his kid's HS Bball game is all that needs to be said about him. And you guys lap up everything he says. Enjoy your "best season ever" and your future in a G6 conference.

USN rankings are by far the best we have, and millions of high school kids and parents pay very close attention to them and make their decisions based on them. Their methodology may be debatable, but They mostly get it right. Just like for football programs, you can look at revenues, you can look at results, you can look at amount of grant funding and publications and Endowment and admission rate etc and that means a great deal these days. A school like #3 Columbia University (at 3.6% admit rate, the second hardest to get in to next to Harvard’s 3.4%) Has enough endowment to guarantee every single student who has need financial support, as grants not loans. Half of their students get aid and it amounts to an average of over $52K per year.

oh, and columbia is #2 in the world in producing nobel prize winners, another great way to quantify impact on the world.

Lower ranked schools don’t have nearly as good faculty, because they don’t have the resources to pay them etc, so About the facts recruiting talented students and generating grants and doing research etc. etc. so they are all interrelated

so the rankings get most of it right
That’s great.

It has nothing to do with what I’m talking about.

As predicted. Pollard has his turd polishing towel out and is hard at it. "The New Big 12 will be better than ever." I'm not sure how replacing 2 P5 schools with G6 schools makes a conference better. Thoughts?
Although they will take a hit financially, it could be a good thing Texas is not in the conference moving forward. Agreements, as far as conferences go, should be on equal footing. It wasn't equal. The B12 might take a hit at first but will probably be fine down the road. They won't be a premiere conference, but they can be a healthy conference.

OK the New Big 12 is as good as the Big East when they let them Keep their Power status. I see the Big 12 being as good as the PAC and ACC from top to bottom in a few short years. With more $$$$ Teams like BYU, UCF, Cincy will be a handful that teams will not want to play. Pride comes before the fall guys and looking down on teams that have beaten several big boy teams should not be taken lightly.
UCF is a sleeping giant
Cincy already a top 10 team turning into a program
BYU has won a ton of games the past 15 years
Houston is a football school in a football state who is not afraid of spending $$$
TCU has been tough
OK St has win 93 games in 10 years
Baylor has had special seasons the past 10 years
Iowa State has been decent of late
K State wins More than they lose
So year not a bad conference
Tex TECH has been so so but not awful
Kansas sucks
The four teams they added do not equal the two that are leaving. That means a smaller pie is being divided into more slices.

Reactions: shudaddy
Although they will take a hit financially, it could be a good thing Texas is not in the conference moving forward. Agreements, as far as conferences go, should be on equal footing. It wasn't equal. The B12 might take a hit at first but will probably be fine down the road. They won't be a premiere conference, but they can be a healthy conference.
This is probably fairly accurate. They will all get significantly less money, but at least they will be equals, I guess.

That said, once any of these teams gets chance to leave, they too will be gone.

Reactions: shudaddy and SI_NYC
That’s great.

It has nothing to do with what I’m talking about.

It kinda does though. The ACC, B1G and Pac12 all put a lot of emphasis on academic and what they consider a cultural fit. Those mint-julip sipping folks at Virginia, UNC, Duke and Georgia Tech would not want themselves defiled by the moonshine guzzling hillbillies from WVU.

Combine that with their current pathetic tv contract that pays out less per school than even the Big12 you won’t see them expanding in the next 7-8 yrs …maybe once their contract expires. Especially for a school with zero market impact outside of one of the poorest states in the nation.

Sorry pal, your dreams of having WVU join the alliance are dreams indeed.

It will either be the SEC should they expand further, or they stay put.

Last edited:
Only conference champs in. Perfect to me. 4 power conferences. This is what we wanted, everybody with a conference championship game as a leg of the playoff.

It kinda does though. The ACC, B1G and Pac12 all put a lot of emphasis on academic and what they consider a cultural fit. Those mint-julip sipping folks at Virginia, UNC, Duke and Georgia Tech would not want themselves defiled by the moonshine guzzling hillbillies from WVU.

Combine that with their current pathetic tv contract that pays out less per school than even the Big12 you won’t see them expanding in the next 7-8 yrs …maybe once their contract expires. Especially for a school with zero market impact outside of one of the poorest states in the nation.

Sorry pal, your dreams of having WVU join the alliance are dreams indeed.

It will either be the SEC should they expand further, or they stay put.
They aren’t my dreams ‘pal’, just what I’ve heard from some people with ties in the WVU athletic department.

Feel free to believe whatever you want. I don’t give a shit.

There is more to life than money. It just saddens me that ESPN/SEC/OU/TX did this. The ripple effect of their greed is enormous.
Agree 100%, this is bad for college athletics and I believe the alliance between the BIG, ACC, and Pac 12 is an 'FU' to ESPN. The alliance is going to dictate the future of college football, starting with if, when, and how the playoff is expanded. In addition to maximizing its revenue via realignment, ESPN was desperately trying to expand the playoff while they had control of the media rights. Now ESPN will have to win a bidding war, likely to include steaming services, if expansion even happens. ESPN over stepped out of greed and it's going to cost them dearly. I also wouldn't be surprised to see the alliance implement a commissioner for college football, uniform academic standards, and controls related to NIL and the transfer portal. Somebody needs to start looking out for the good of college athletics holistically.

OK the New Big 12 is as good as the Big East when they let them Keep their Power status. I see the Big 12 being as good as the PAC and ACC from top to bottom in a few short years. With more $$$$ Teams like BYU, UCF, Cincy will be a handful that teams will not want to play. Pride comes before the fall guys and looking down on teams that have beaten several big boy teams should not be taken lightly.
UCF is a sleeping giant
Cincy already a top 10 team turning into a program
BYU has won a ton of games the past 15 years
Houston is a football school in a football state who is not afraid of spending $$$
TCU has been tough
OK St has win 93 games in 10 years
Baylor has had special seasons the past 10 years
Iowa State has been decent of late
K State wins More than they lose
So year not a bad conference
Tex TECH has been so so but not awful
Kansas sucks
That is a list of average to bad teams. The conference should be called AVER conference

Not.gonna.happen. Unless the B1G could arrange a trade with the B12, NE for IA State. Even then I would be against it. Both teams suck.
Make it a 3-team trade. B12 gets kNebby, the sec gets isu (they think they are worthy) and the B1G gets Missouri.

Reactions: LaQuintaHawkeye
I always thought the whole 'legislative branch stepping in' idea was way overblown.

Congress getting involved would be a pretty unpopular move for voters. Not to mention the insane amount of influence Disney and Fox surely have from a lobbying perspective.
Sure, and who do you think is doing the lobbying? Disney & Fox would both have major investment...

Oh yeah those congress people from big states who graduated from those big schools will be so excited to make sure New Mexico state can participate.
And right on cue, "Knight Commission" releases "report". FYI, "report" is code for, "impending demands (s)"...

Congress isn’t going to get involved, people can stop with that nonsense now.
Don't get out much, huh? JFC, Everyone from Cory Booker to Anthony Gonzalez--who both actually played--to AOC to Bernie Sanders--and it would be impossible to tell who throws worse between the two--has weighed in.

"Congress isn't going to get involved" is akin to, "Biden would NEVER try to dismantle capitalism", or, "Biden isn't slipping, that's just Tucker Carlson talking".

Good God, this place can lower one's IQ in a hurry if one doesn't stay vigilant to, at a minimum, history and common sense.

Well, according to this, Ames is one of the best college football towns in America. Baton Rouge vs Ames ..

FFS...what an embarrasment of a story. How can Ames even me mentioned in the same breath as those other schools (except Pullman, WA...another big fail) Big parking lots do not = a great college football town.

Last edited:
yes!!!!!!

this “expansion” is like “when I want to take it right over the cliff”

and the “fans” left in jack trice at the beginning of fourth quarter, as well as pollard/bowlsby pimping their little/big 12, are like their gig at the amusement park

PUPPET SHOW

and Spinal Tap

with BYU vs Kansas or ISU vs Houston

Or like this epic guitar solo which was like the ISU offense vs the Hawk D, and tuning the violin equivalent to Campbell replacing Purdy with Dekkers or whatever his name is.

"That's really where I get to express myself"

Don't get out much, huh? JFC, Everyone from Cory Booker to Anthony Gonzalez--who both actually played--to AOC to Bernie Sanders--and it would be impossible to tell who throws worse between the two--has weighed in.

"Congress isn't going to get involved" is akin to, "Biden would NEVER try to dismantle capitalism", or, "Biden isn't slipping, that's just Tucker Carlson talking".

Good God, this place can lower one's IQ in a hurry if one doesn't stay vigilant to, at a minimum, history and common sense.
Anthony Gonzalez went to my high school and he’s extremely smart, like Cory Booker who was a Rhodes Scholar.
Gonzales finished OSU and a stint in the NFL, then an MBA from Stanford.
He’s retiring and leaving the Republican Party because it is “toxic” in his words and he was getting death threats from the crazies for voting his conscience.

Last edited:
Reactions: San_Antonio_Hawk
Anthony Gonzalez went to my high school and he’s extremely smart, like Cory Booker who was a Rhodes Scholar.
Gonzales finished OSU and a stint in the NFL, then an MBA from Stanford.
He’s retiring and leaving the Republican Party because it is “toxic” in his words and he was getting death threads from the crazies for voting his conscience.
Anthony Gonzalez is toxic. His idea of policy is wetting his thumb and holding it up to test the wind.

Iowa fans will bad mouth Pollard no matter what he does. Some of his moves warrant criticism, some don't.

He is simply doing his job here. Promoting + supporting Iowa State + their conference. What else would you expect him to do?

Idk what Pollard has done surrounding this mess that you think has earned him anything but criticism. The man is on record saying the Big 12 is nothing more than the MWC without OU and Texas. He knew they'd eventually leave though, cause I'm assuming he's not a complete idiot, because anyone with the slightest pulse on college football knew they'd be leaving.

Since that lovely moment of honesty, he now claims its even better without Texas and OU. He has avoided or not been asked the most important and difficult questions.
  1. How was OU and Texas leaving a surprise?
  2. How was such a financially devastating event not better anticipated?
  3. How and why did the AD and BOR approve $90million in top level renovations. Renovations far exceeding the likely forecast for ISU football.
  4. How do you turn a profit with the revenue of a G6 school, but the overhead expenses of a premier program?
  5. What realistically needs to change for ISU athletics to survive?
  6. Were donors made aware of these high risks?
The board of regents and Pollard should be answering these questions. Iowa residents/voters have a right to know why their government thought it wise to approve financing of $60 million for a program with a dreary prognosis.

Instead, the grift continues. Pollard failed to put ISU in the spot they needed to be, leaving an even larger wake of destruction. So now, he's cutting his losses and going to back to lying and smiling at the camera. Anyone putting a penny into that program after what happened in July is a total sucker.

Lmao. Your IQ does seem really low. Idk if it was higher before this website, but you might be on to something.

Reactions: San_Antonio_Hawk
Idk what Pollard has done surrounding this mess that you think has earned him anything but criticism. The man is on record saying the Big 12 is nothing more than the MWC without OU and Texas. He knew they'd eventually leave though, cause I'm assuming he's not a complete idiot, because anyone with the slightest pulse on college football knew they'd be leaving.

Since that lovely moment of honesty, he now claims its even better without Texas and OU. He has avoided or not been asked the most important and difficult questions.
  3. How and why did the AD and BOR approve $90million in top level renovations. Renovations far exceeding the likely forecast for ISU football.
  4. How do you turn a profit with the revenue of a G6 school, but the overhead expenses of a premier program?
The board of regents and Pollard should be answering these questions. Iowa residents/voters have a right to know why their government thought it wise to approve financing of $60 million for a program with a dreary prognosis.

Instead, the grift continues. Pollard failed to put ISU in the spot they needed to be, leaving an even larger wake of destruction. So now, he's cutting his losses and going to back to lying and smiling at the camera. Anyone putting a penny into that program after what happened in July is a total sucker.
Pollard ran up big debts, just like they did at Cincinnati, and was a social media troll all these years. That flimflam only lasts so long. Sooner or later, reality hits hard, and it did nine days ago when the hype met the Hawkeyes, and a huge national audience saw Iowa State for what they were, aspirational flashes in the pan. Cincinnati will come crashing down too once they lose their coach and once they will be forced to cut budgets to repay their over $300,000,000 in athletic department debt. But this is now known on these boards, though probably not on Cyclone Fanatic. Soon the national media will begin to dig a bit and see beneath the hype and into the dollars and sense reality. The honest AD's like Goff at Kansas do see reality: this new b12 is a "poor" conference with zero chance of living large off of the big budget schools who have left, or living on borrowed time and $60M in debt (ISU), or $300M in debt (cinci).

I just spent fifteen minutes digging and this issue is worse than I thought, and needs a separate thread because it's not just about hype or Pollard. It's about parasitic policies based on debt and leeching off of current students.

Reactions: Hawklad24
It is so great that KU is still trying to find an alternate landing spot.

They really should join the Big East for MBB...it's their best play at this time.

The rest of the sports could go AAC since they're now desperate to replace the schools they lost.

There might be a shot at joining the Pac-12, but it's a long one.

Once the Texas-OU exit fees are negotiated and their timetable is set there is going to be more expansion. Most likely in 2022.

I would just say two things about the financial situation at ISU.

1. Don't automatically believe everything you see posted by Cyclone haters on an Iowa internet message board.

2. Don't get your hopes up too high until the various aspects of the reorganization are determined.

Reactions: stender72865
Might as well get Boise State and San Diego State.

I think one of them, but not both in the next round.

Boise makes more sense at this time, and would be a good travel partner for BYU.

They should add another "east" team for UCF's travel partner. I could see them adding another Florida school down the road, but for immediacy it looks like Memphis would probably get the invite.

Big12 (14) by 2026...

EASTWEST
CincinnatiBaylor
Iowa StateBoise State
KansasBYU
KSUHouston
MemphisOk State
UCFTCU
WVUTexas Tech

What expansion do you see happening in 2022?

There aren't any candidates to help the B1G, ACC, or P12 financially. I don't see any moves being made.

There may be some movement in the G6 ranks. But who cares.

What is funny with the Big 12 they are basically the conference of little brothers. Only in 2 states can you claim they are the best team and one is because they are the only 2 teams with K-State in Kansas. Only other state is West Virginia with WVU being the top school over only Marshall.

However the rest they are all the little sisters of the poor-
Texas/A & M over Baylor, TCU, Houston & Tech.
Iowa over ISU
OU over Okie St.
Utah over BYU (BYU won for the first time in 9 years this season)
Ohio St over Cincinnati
Florida/FSU/Miami over UCF

What expansion do you see happening in 2022?

There aren't any candidates to help the B1G, ACC, or P12 financially. I don't see any moves being made.

There may be some movement in the G6 ranks. But who cares.
I still think some Big 12 members will find better homes. Just basing it off of what I’m reading elsewhere from a source I consider reliable. WVU and one other member of the Big 12 will be gone before 2026.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT