ADVERTISEMENT

New evidence suggests burial cloth ‘showing imprint of Jesus’ is REAL

There is no resemblance to modern day preachers. He was flogged, left for dead, imprisoned and beheaded. He wentbto prison when he didnt have to do that. He was ship wrecked. Like today....no

I am so confused by what you are arguing......I agree with 100% of what you just said here?

Literally just saying its always been odd to be me that God/Jesus had to recruit another guy just 2 years after the resurrection to help with the rollout. That's it.

Just always seems weird that most of the new testament and more or less how Christianity is today is based on a guy that never walked with Jesus and came into the picture 2 years after he was gone.

That's all.

Reactions: Bulldogs1974
I am so confused by what you are arguing......I agree with 100% of what you just said here?

Literally just saying its always been odd to be me that God/Jesus had to recruit another guy just 2 years after the resurrection to help with the rollout. That's it.

Just always seems weird that most of the new testament and more or less how Christianity is today is based on a guy that never walked with Jesus and came into the picture 2 years after he was gone.

That's all.
It might seem "weird" that Paul, who wasn’t one of the originl disciples and didn’t walk with Jesus during His ministry, played such a YUGE role in shaping Christianity. IMO you need to think of it through a different lens--Paul’s conversion and later influence show that the message of Christ wasn't just for those who were with Him from the start, but for everyone, including those who initially opposed Him.

Paul’s background as a well-educated Pharisee and his dramatic transformation after encountering Christ made him uniquely qualified to spread the gospel to the Gentiles. His perspective brought depth to early Christian theology and helped bridge the gap between Jewish and Gentile believers. Far from being weird, Paul’s role underscores the idea that God can use anyone, even those who seemed least likely, to carry out His plan...like a Christian murdering legalist. Oh, and don't forget that after his conversion, Paul met often with Peter and James, the brother of Jesus, in Jerusalem (Galatians 1:18-19). Later, he also collaborated with other apostles like Barnabas, Silas, and Timothy during his missionary journeys. So, he wasn't on an island.

It might seem "weird" that Paul, who wasn’t one of the original disciples and didn’t walk with Jesus during His ministry, played such a YUGE role in shaping Christianity. IMO you need to think of it through a different lens--Paul’s conversion and later influence show that the message of Christ wasn't just for those who were with Him from the start, but for everyone, including those who initially opposed Him.

Paul’s background as a well-educated Pharisee and his dramatic transformation after encountering Christ made him uniquely qualified to spread the gospel to the Gentiles. His perspective brought depth to early Christian theology and helped bridge the gap between Jewish and Gentile believers. Far from being weird, Paul’s role underscores the idea that God can use anyone, even those who seemed least likely, to carry out His plan...like a Christian murdering legalist. Oh, and don't forget that after his conversion, Paul met often with Peter and James, the brother of Jesus, in Jerusalem (Galatians 1:18-19). Later, he also collaborated with other apostles like Barnabas, Silas, and Timothy during his missionary journeys. So, he wasn't on an island.

Understood and I already acknowledged him meeting with the other apostles in previous responses in this thread.

Again, not disagreeing with what Paul brought to the table and what he represents in the overall scheme if you will.

I am not asking to be convinced of what Paul represents and why.......just saying from a personal thought-tank perspective if you will on the whole situation, I just think that its strange (not wrong, just strange) how it played out....that's it. Just that at the end of the day the most important person in conveying Christianity to the world and where it is today is a guy that came 2 years after the fact. Not saying its wrong, I just always personally looked at that fact differently I guess.

To be a fly on the wall when Paul shows up to Peter and James "so yeah guys.....you're not gonna believe what happened to me.....but I think this is what we are supposed to be doing from here on out, sorry to throw a wrench in your plans!"......."but Paul, we walked with the guy for 2 years! We saw things, he taught us things, we know what we are doing"........"yeah sorry boys sorry about that, here's whats gonna happen"

***I know I am being facetious and simplistic here btw

Last edited:
Reactions: alaskanseminole

That's all.
OK. But I dont think today resembles Paul at all. I get your poin now.

Just speaking though

Todays American church.

Loves money
Wants God to be a cash register of easy life

Wont stand up to members especially rich ones

Promotes war

Promotes idols....example US flag

Self promoting....

Embraces culture when it shouldnt..and puts on restrictions that are trivial.

Honestly I didnt see this until I saw US missionaries working in of All p l aces Ukraine. The US culture gospel wss very evident agaist the backdrop of a culture that is very white, but any similarities end there.

Paul though was very familiar with the 12 and even was involved with harassing them. Paul was a Pharisee which gets watered down today. That is consistant with Jesus selecting the least likely such as a Tax Collector...worse than a used car salesman and a repo guy with the power to throw people in prison and totally ruin lives and a Zealot....worse than a right wing militia member acting worse than the leftist SLA decades ago.

The inner circle was being depleted and very few others were with Jesus all the way thru.

Paul was very flawed like rest.

Reactions: JustSayOV
I understand your frustration with the concept of an all-knowing God who allows events to unfold as they do, especially when it seems to defy logic. But there's a key distinction that often gets overlooked: knowledge of an event doesn't equate to causation. In the example of your niece, you knew there was a possibility of her getting hurt, but knowing isn’t the same as willing it to happen. The difference here is that God’s foreknowledge doesn’t strip away our free will.

Yes, God knew Adam and Eve would fail, just as He knows every choice we’ll make, but that doesn’t mean those choices are forced upon us. It’s like reading a book where you already know the ending—knowing the outcome doesn’t mean you dictated every action along the way. Free will allows for genuine love, genuine relationship, and genuine choice, even within God’s omniscience.

As for the idea of God being angry or disappointed, it’s not about God being caught off guard or frustrated by human choices. Instead, it’s about the relational aspect—He’s not a distant scriptwriter but a Father who desires a meaningful relationship with us, even when we fail. And for what it's worth, I’m not a big fan of religious dogma either (as I said to Hawki97 above). What resonates with me is what Christ really offers: a personal relationship.

We're not going to change each other's minds on this, but I do appreciate the respectful dialog. It's rare on here; especially in these types of threads (and the political ones).
You could reconcile this more simply with an understanding that you are imposing later philosophical concepts and ideas on a text that did not develop with those concepts in mind. Original sin is not a part of the Jewish tradition. "The fall" doesn't get brought up again throughout the rest of Hebrew scripture. (Adam is mentioned as part of a genealogy in chronicles) But the Adam and Eve story is not discussed as a critical moment in defining human nature. The original sin concept did not coalesce until the 3rd century and was developed by Christians to explain Jesus "sacrifice".

The cultures that this story developed in did not believe in an omnigod. Gods were powerful but flawed. They made mistakes, they got angry, and were vengeful. They had geographical limitations and governed over specific people groups. The story has an etiological goal to explain why things are the way they are? Why are different tribes? Why do people die? ETC

Adam and Eve have to exit the garden the author and the audience all know this. The stories in Genesis share a core with similar stories in the surrounding region. Humans striving to become like gods and gods trying to stop them. We are subverting the purposes of the author by applying concepts that developed later.

I understand your frustration with the concept of an all-knowing God who allows events to unfold as they do, especially when it seems to defy logic. But there's a key distinction that often gets overlooked: knowledge of an event doesn't equate to causation. In the example of your niece, you knew there was a possibility of her getting hurt, but knowing isn’t the same as willing it to happen. The difference here is that God’s foreknowledge doesn’t strip away our free will.

Yes, God knew Adam and Eve would fail, just as He knows every choice we’ll make, but that doesn’t mean those choices are forced upon us. It’s like reading a book where you already know the ending—knowing the outcome doesn’t mean you dictated every action along the way. Free will allows for genuine love, genuine relationship, and genuine choice, even within God’s omniscience.

As for the idea of God being angry or disappointed, it’s not about God being caught off guard or frustrated by human choices. Instead, it’s about the relational aspect—He’s not a distant scriptwriter but a Father who desires a meaningful relationship with us, even when we fail. And for what it's worth, I’m not a big fan of religious dogma either (as I said to Hawki97 above). What resonates with me is what Christ really offers: a personal relationship.

We're not going to change each other's minds on this, but I do appreciate the respectful dialog. It's rare on here; especially in these types of threads (and the political ones). BTW, you were up LATE last night...wasn't it a school night or did you finally retire?
I’m not at all frustrated. And knowledge of an impending event equals causation when god created everything - literally everything - leading up to the event. Set the wheels in motion. Breathed life into Adam and Eve. Created the trees and put those in front of them and told them not to be tempted knowing the talking snake he created would talk Eve into failing his singular warning. It’s his scenario created by him and designed to play out exactly as it did. I understand your frustration at being unable to comprehend that and I understand the need of a true believer to try and discount it but that doesn’t wash.

Had I gone in the kitchen and turned on the stove knowing my niece would burn her hands, had I then gone and found my niece and brought her into the kitchen knowing she would burn her hands, had I warned her not to touch the stove knowing she would disobey, had I then opened the oven door and stood by while she did exactly what I knew she was going to do…had I then confessed to my family that I knew all of that was going to happen and I did it all ANYWAY and stood by while she did exactly what I knew she was going to do but it was her “choice”…

Well, if they believed me, my sister would have slapped the shit out of me and I would have been banished from my parent’s house. Your god, on the other hand, would have kicked out my niece and punitively punished her and every one of her descendants because she disobeyed an order he knew she would disobey.

You can’t dress that up in any way that makes sense other than to admit that we were created to fail exactly as we did but that had to happen for us to get back to the garden we were already inhabiting because we had to know suffering to appreciate paradise. That’s the story you have to rationalize. As an allegory, I can appreciate it. As a true telling of events, it’s laughable. I caused my niece to burn her hands so she would appreciate how her hands felt before she burned them. Smh

Reactions: nelly02
Adam and Eve have to exit the garden the author and the audience all know this. The stories in Genesis share a core with similar stories in the surrounding region. Humans striving to become like gods and gods trying to stop them. We are subverting the purposes of the author by applying concepts that developed later.
Every bit of this right here.

It might seem "weird" that Paul, who wasn’t one of the originl disciples and didn’t walk with Jesus during His ministry, played such a YUGE role in shaping Christianity. IMO you need to think of it through a different lens--Paul’s conversion and later influence show that the message of Christ wasn't just for those who were with Him from the start, but for everyone, including those who initially opposed Him.

This is 1000% correct.
Paul was originally Saul of Tarsus. He was a violent persecutor of the early Christians. Jesus evidently saw something in Paul's heart that was agreeable. Paul no doubt had a rough journey trying to talk to the newly formed congregation considering just prior he was throwing them in jail and beating some. I have a ton of respect for Paul. Besides Christ himself, no one went thru more hardship in declaring the good news of the kingdom than Paul.

lol, well, of course. A verifiable, undeniable god revelation is all that has been requested.

Unless it’s that maniac who ordered multiple genocides and is claiming to be a god of love and forgiveness. I’m not bowing down to that psychopath.
So you cannot accept a God unconditionally? The God has to meet your requirements and pass your judgement test? Your mere mortalness is qualified to judge a God of the universe?

So the core issue is, you simply don’t want a God or a King to rule over you in the first place. You want to be God/King of your own universe.

Reactions: BrianNole777
I have had the same questions before. Paul’s history is needed because it sets an example of how God can literally meet us on our walk and compel & convict us to repent and then pick up His cross and go on mission. Jesus’s great commission was to go and make disciples. Well here is a guy to persecuted Christians and then had a literal “come to Jesus” moment and chose to go make disciples.

That’s what we should be doing! That testimony has to be in the Bible!

You could reconcile this more simply with an understanding that you are imposing later philosophical concepts and ideas on a text that did not develop with those concepts in mind. Original sin is not a part of the Jewish tradition. "The fall" doesn't get brought up again throughout the rest of Hebrew scripture. (Adam is mentioned as part of a genealogy in chronicles) But the Adam and Eve story is not discussed as a critical moment in defining human nature. The original sin concept did not coalesce until the 3rd century and was developed by Christians to explain Jesus "sacrifice".

The cultures that this story developed in did not believe in an omnigod. Gods were powerful but flawed. They made mistakes, they got angry, and were vengeful. They had geographical limitations and governed over specific people groups. The story has an etiological goal to explain why things are the way they are? Why are different tribes? Why do people die? ETC

Need to be very careful using the term “original sin” and properly define the audience and context with whom you are speaking. Some of us are Catholic and would adhere to this as dogma codified at the Council of Trent. Some of us are not Catholic and simply mean we are all sinful from birth (if/how sin “transfers” is sort of irrelevant).

Nevertheless, there are many OT references to mankind living in our sin nature and make reference to the concept of original sin. Isaiah, Solomon’s teachings, Psalms, etc…. (Isaiah 48, Pslam 51, 53, 58, Ecclesiastes 9). To say “it doesn’t get brought up again in Hebrew scripture” is silly.

I’m not at all frustrated. And knowledge of an impending event equals causation when god created everything - literally everything - leading up to the event. Set the wheels in motion. Breathed life into Adam and Eve. Created the trees and put those in front of them and told them not to be tempted knowing the talking snake he created would talk Eve into failing his singular warning. It’s his scenario created by him and designed to play out exactly as it did. I understand your frustration at being unable to comprehend that and I understand the need of a true believer to try and discount it but that doesn’t wash.

Had I gone in the kitchen and turned on the stove knowing my niece would burn her hands, had I then gone and found my niece and brought her into the kitchen knowing she would burn her hands, had I warned her not to touch the stove knowing she would disobey, had I then opened the oven door and stood by while she did exactly what I knew she was going to do…had I then confessed to my family that I knew all of that was going to happen and I did it all ANYWAY and stood by while she did exactly what I knew she was going to do but it was her “choice”…

Well, if they believed me, my sister would have slapped the shit out of me and I would have been banished from my parent’s house. Your god, on the other hand, would have kicked out my niece and punitively punished her and every one of her descendants because she disobeyed an order he knew she would disobey.

You can’t dress that up in any way that makes sense other than to admit that we were created to fail exactly as we did but that had to happen for us to get back to the garden we were already inhabiting because we had to know suffering to appreciate paradise. That’s the story you have to rationalize. As an allegory, I can appreciate it. As a true telling of events, it’s laughable. I caused my niece to burn her hands so she would appreciate how her hands felt before she burned them. Smh

Tarheel take a look at this. It may or may not do much to change your viewpoint. Just something I thought might interest you in this discussion

So you cannot accept a God unconditionally? The God has to meet your requirements and pass your judgement test? Your mere mortalness is qualified to judge a God of the universe?

So the core issue is, you simply don’t want a God or a King to rule over you in the first place. You want to be God/King of your own universe.
lol…as I’ve repeatedly said, a true creator-of-the-entire-universe god is so far beyond our ability to comprehend that there isn’t any point in speculating about its nature. It’s like contemplating infinity.

If some powerful being appeared and admitted to multiple horrific genocides, admitted to wiping out all life on a planet save a single family and their pets because he was pissed that people weren’t worshipping him the way he wanted, copped to all of the terror and pain inflicted in the OT, and then claimed to be that god of creation, I would hope I’d have the courage to stand up and say, “You’re no god worthy of that name”. That being is a sadistic psychopath.

Fortunately, there is no such being. I trust my own conscience, my own true free will, to make the right choices. I don’t need to create a “god” who requires that I worship it at risk of eternal torture to make the right choices. Believe whatever you like to keep yourself in line. Don’t try to impress that being on me. I don’t require it.

Need to be very careful using the term “original sin” and properly define the audience and context with whom you are speaking. Some of us are Catholic and would adhere to this as dogma codified at the Council of Trent. Some of us are not Catholic and simply mean we are all sinful from birth (if/how sin “transfers” is sort of irrelevant).

Nevertheless, there are many OT references to mankind living in our sin nature and make reference to the concept of original sin. Isaiah, Solomon’s teachings, Psalms, etc…. (Isaiah 48, Pslam 51, 53, 58, Ecclesiastes 9). To say “it doesn’t get brought up again in Hebrew scripture” is silly.
None of these verses attribute the origin of sin to the fall of man story in Genesis.

lol…as I’ve repeatedly said, a true creator-of-the-entire-universe god is so far beyond our ability to comprehend that there isn’t any point in speculating about its nature. It’s like contemplating infinity.

If some powerful being appeared and admitted to multiple horrific genocides, admitted to wiping out all life on a planet save a single family and their pets because he was pissed that people weren’t worshipping him the way he wanted, copped to all of the terror and pain inflicted in the OT, and then claimed to be that god of creation, I would hope I’d have the courage to stand up and say, “You’re no god worthy of that name”. That being is a sadistic psychopath.

Fortunately, there is no such being. I trust my own conscience, my own true free will, to make the right choices. I don’t need to create a “god” who requires that I worship it at risk of eternal torture to make the right choices. Believe whatever you like to keep yourself in line. Don’t try to impress that being on me. I don’t require it.
Why does a God, any God, need to operate according to your definition or morality? You get to define how a God should operate? You get to define the morality that a God should follow?

Tarheel take a look at this. It may or may not do much to change your viewpoint. Just something I thought might interest you in this discussion
It is interesting. But, again, it itilized illogic to explain away the obvious.

Still, someone may object, ‘But how could an all-wise God not have known?’ Granted, a facet of Jehovah’s great wisdom is his capability to know “from the beginning the finale.” (Isaiah 46:9, 10) However, he does not have to use this capability, just as he does not always have to use his immense power to the full. Jehovah wisely uses his ability of foreknowledge selectively. He uses it when it makes sense to do so and fits the circumstances.

They then employ the metaphor of having a game recorded and watching it from the beginning rather than skipping to the end. One problem with that metaphor is that it doesn’t allow for free will. The outcome is already determined before you watch the game. The teams will follow a predetermined path without any ability to change the script. Regardless of how you choose to watch the game, it will always end the same way and no last minute heroics are going to change it. There’s no way you discuss that game with someone who was at the game and what you saw on delay ends differently from what they saw live.

The other problem is that an omniscient god would know the outcome before the game was played…before the teams existed…before the game was invented. Even granting a god the odd ability to somehow turn that foreknowledge off, the game has still already been determined. It can only end one way.

They’re free to imagine a limited god to solve those problems but that’s all they’re doing…inventing characteristics to explain away massive inconsistencies in their myth. In this case, their invention fails the explanatory test.

Why does a God, any God, need to operate according to your definition or morality? You get to define how a God should operate? You get to define the morality that a God should follow?
lol…it’s your claim that our sense of morality must come from your god…that it can’t arise any other way. In your scenario, I’m judging your god using the sense of right and wrong granted to me by your god. Hoisting him on his own petard, as it were. Is murdering children right or wrong? Simple question. Will you give a simple answer?

lol…it’s your claim that our sense of morality must come from your god…that it can’t arise any other way. In your scenario, I’m judging your god using the sense of right and wrong granted to me by your god. Hoisting him on his own petard, as it were. Is murdering children right or wrong? Simple question. Will you give a simple answer?
You're missing some other attributes of the God I worship. You are focused on your morality but are forgetting that God is also perfectly just. His idea of justice > your idea of justice. And clearly, we humans crave justice (thats what we argue about daily on this board afterall).

God is Holy. Perfectly Holy.
God made it clear, the penalty of sin is death.
God is just.
Therefore, while it seems harsh to us, God had every right to do what he did. While it seems unfair and unjust to us, we are just humans and our administration of justice is fallible at best.

Of course, I'm not asking you to believe what I believe. My line of questioning actually is part of my own story. I have led a good, great life. But the day I finally figured out that I cannot be God of my own life and actually do not want to be God of my own life is the day my life became infinitely better. It takes a lot of faith & trust to believe what I believe. But 15-20 years later, I can say it is absolutely worth it. Just wanted to share with you.

You're missing some other attributes of the God I worship. You are focused on your morality but are forgetting that God is also perfectly just. His idea of justice > your idea of justice. And clearly, we humans crave justice (thats what we argue about daily on this board afterall).

God is Holy. Perfectly Holy.
God made it clear, the penalty of sin is death.
God is just.
Therefore, while it seems harsh to us, God had every right to do what he did. While it seems unfair and unjust to us, we are just humans and our administration of justice is fallible at best.

Of course, I'm not asking you to believe what I believe. My line of questioning actually is part of my own story. I have led a good, great life. But the day I finally figured out that I cannot be God of my own life and actually do not want to be God of my own life is the day my life became infinitely better. It takes a lot of faith & trust to believe what I believe. But 15-20 years later, I can say it is absolutely worth it. Just wanted to share with you.
Like Brian, you refused to answer a simple question with a simple answer. I can only assume you think it “just” to murder innocent children as long as your god did it. Just curious, how do you know your god didn’t murder those children in Newton or in Uvalde for his own goals? They’re a mystery to us, you know. Nobody is adding addendums to the Bible these days to explain events. How do you know those massacres weren’t some aspect of your God’s “justice”? If the shooters claimed that god told them to do it, are they excused? How would you know they weren’t?

That’s the conundrum you create when you justify atrocities simply because the claim is that god did it.

No offense, seriously, but it takes no faith or trust to believe what you believe. You apparently don’t even trust your own god-given judgement. It just requires that you accept whatever you’re told without question as long as the claim is that your god said it.

Like Brian, you refused to answer a simple question with a simple answer. I can only assume you think it “just” to murder innocent children as long as your god did it. Just curious, how do you know your god didn’t murder those children in Newton or in Uvalde for his own goals? They’re a mystery to us, you know. Nobody is adding addendums to the Bible these days to explain events. How do you know those massacres weren’t some aspect of your God’s “justice”? If the shooters claimed that god told them to do it, are they excused? How would you know they weren’t?

That’s the conundrum you create when you justify atrocities simply because the claim is that god did it.

No offense, seriously, but it takes no faith or trust to believe what you believe. You apparently don’t even trust your own god-given judgement. It just requires that you accept whatever you’re told without question as long as the claim is that your god said it.

There is no simple answer.

Many thing in this life are a mystery, like natural disasters.

How can you judge evil without a standard to judge against? The fact you and I can agree that the examples you noted are indeed evil is evidence that a standard exists. I personally believe that any standard that is man-made is fallible, imperfect, & problematic. Thus my preference for God's standard. You believe that mortal man can create morality and accepts its imperfection & problems that come with it.

Regarding your examples, it raises interesting questions. I cannot claim to know if & when God intervenes today. One thing I would remind you of, again, is that the penalty of sin is death. Doesn't matter if you are a cute little kid or an ugly old man. God's justice is consistent and perfectly fair. Additionally, we have to distinguish the world before Christ and after Christ. Christ paid the sin penalty for us. Before Christ, a different covenant existed with God's people (and no covenant for gentiles). Thankfully, God still has a plan to redeem the ancients (because he is just & fair) but it is on His timeline and not yours.

There is no simple answer.

Many thing in this life are a mystery, like natural disasters.
No simple answer to whether or not murdering children is evil? Yes, that’s why I reject your theology without a second thought.

Natural disasters are not a mystery from a religious standpoint. Religion isn’t a factor. The mystery is only in the natural forces that cause them. They are not “Devine retribution”. Ever.

No simple answer to whether or not murdering children is evil? Yes, that’s why I reject your theology without a second thought.

Natural disasters are not a mystery from a religious standpoint. Religion isn’t a factor. The mystery is only in the natural forces that cause them. They are not “Devine retribution”. Ever.

Murdering children is evil.

Jesus didn't murder anyone.

Jesus Fn Christ I can tt believe in 2024 people still think there is some mystical being. What gets me is how frikin hard the religous nuts try to prove there is a god. Ya want me to believe show up and sh1t a gold nugget god or jesus. Then I might give it a second thought. Religion is a dog chasin it's tail. It won t catchit and Jesus ain t showing up. Another question I would like to know? Who s side does Jesus stand with in war? Does he support both sides?

How can you judge evil without a standard to judge against? The fact you and I can agree that the examples you noted are indeed evil is evidence that a standard exists. I personally believe that any standard that is man-made is fallible, imperfect, & problematic. Thus my preference for God's standard. You believe that mortal man can create morality and accepts its imperfection & problems that come with it.

If you believe we were created in the image of god then we have a god-given sense of judgement, morality, and ethics. Did your god just skip that part? It isn’t man-made - it’s innate and under your reality it comes directly from god. It always befuddles me when Christians claim otherwise and claim to trust a 2,000 year old book more than they trust God’s voice in their own head and heart. Isn’t that what a “personal relationship with Jesus” is all about?
Regarding your examples, it raises interesting questions. I cannot claim to know if & when God intervenes today. One thing I would remind you of, again, is that the penalty of sin is death. Doesn't matter if you are a cute little kid or an ugly old man. God's justice is consistent and perfectly fair. Additionally, we have to distinguish the world before Christ and after Christ. Christ paid the sin penalty for us. Before Christ, a different covenant existed with God's people (and no covenant for gentiles). Thankfully, God still has a plan to redeem the ancients (because he is just & fair) but it is on His timeline and not yours.
That your god can’t tell the difference between an infant incapable of sin and an ugly old man who’s an ax-murderer represents a problem for you and a disqualifier for me.

If you believe we were created in the image of god then we have a god-given sense of judgement, morality, and ethics. Did your god just skip that part? It isn’t man-made - it’s innate and under your reality it comes directly from god. It always befuddles me when Christians claim otherwise and claim to trust a 2,000 year old book more than they trust God’s voice in their own head and heart. Isn’t that what a “personal relationship with Jesus” is all about?

That your god can’t tell the difference between an infant incapable of sin and an ugly old man who’s an ax-murderer represents a problem for you and a disqualifier for me.
I think you're starting to get it. God planted a sense of judgement in our hearts so we have an innate awareness of what is right & wrong from the start. He created the standard of good so we know what to judge against. Plato thought similarly.

I'm not sure why you are "befuddled." The Bible outlines how we are to discern truth (through God's written word and with the Holy Spirit). You cannot have a relationship with Jesus if you ignore His truth. Thus, the Bible. Romans 12, James 1, etc. Hebrews 4 says it pretty good I think: Hebrews 4:12 - "For the word of God is living and active, sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing to the division of soul and of spirit, of joints and of marrow, and discerning the thoughts and intentions of the heart."

The Bible teaches we cannot trust our hearts & minds for they are sinful:
- Jeremiah 17:9 - "The heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately sick; who can understand it?"
- Proverbs 3 - "Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and do not lean on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make straight your paths."

There are physical differences between sinners of course. But God judges sin fairly and equitably ("for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God..."). I know it sounds harsh at first. I had the same thought of "how could a loving God do that!?!?" But, when I consider Gods plans are better than my own, I cannot administer justice fairly & equitably but God can, God still has a plan to redeem everyone, and 100 years on Earth is nothing compared to eternity - my perspective changed. But, for those who are or have suffered great pain, I understand why this can be very hard to accept. If thats you Tar, I am sorry for your pain but my hope is to offer hope.

One simple thing you are overlooking in asking those questions about innocent children being murdered is this, The Bible and Jesus himself stated that Satan the Devil is the ruler of this disaster of a world.
1John 5:19-" We know we originate with God, but the whole world is lying in the power of the wicked one."
Jesus stated, "I will not speak with you much more, for the ruler of the world is coming, and he has no hold on me". John 14:30
Earlier at John 12:31 he said "Now there is a judging of this world; now the ruler of this world will be cast out".
So its pretty clear that even Jesus acknowledged that Satan was in control of the world at this present time. That is even more clear when Jesus was tempted in the wilderness by Satan, who offered Jesus all the kingdoms of the world in exchange for an act of worship. If Satan was not in control, he could not have offered Jesus those kingdoms.
Another factor to consider is the sinful human condition that we inherited from our first parents' wrong choice. Some of the things that happen are just "time and unexpected events overtake them all"( Ecclesiastes 9:11)
To blame God for any murderous act goes against His very being of being a God of Love.
James 1:13 says"When under trial, let no one say: "I am being tried by God." For with evil things God cannot be tried, not does he himself try anyone.
You earlier mentioned the account of Noah and the flood. The world that was destroyed was filled with violence and not with just people. It included a group of demon/human hybrid offspring who were violent and destructive. So for God to say the earth was "ruined" in His sight is pretty telling. It must have been REALLY bad.
Noah and his family were spared because the Bible says "he walked with the true God".

I think you're starting to get it. God planted a sense of judgement in our hearts so we have an innate awareness of what is right & wrong from the start. He created the standard of good so we know what to judge against. Plato thought similarly.

I'm not sure why you are "befuddled." The Bible outlines how we are to discern truth (through God's written word and with the Holy Spirit). You cannot have a relationship with Jesus if you ignore His truth. Thus, the Bible. Romans 12, James 1, etc. Hebrews 4 says it pretty good I think: Hebrews 4:12 - "For the word of God is living and active, sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing to the division of soul and of spirit, of joints and of marrow, and discerning the thoughts and intentions of the heart."

The Bible teaches we cannot trust our hearts & minds for they are sinful:
- Jeremiah 17:9 - "The heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately sick; who can understand it?"
- Proverbs 3 - "Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and do not lean on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make straight your paths."

There are physical differences between sinners of course. But God judges sin fairly and equitably ("for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God..."). I know it sounds harsh at first. I had the same thought of "how could a loving God do that!?!?" But, when I consider Gods plans are better than my own, I cannot administer justice fairly & equitably but God can, God still has a plan to redeem everyone, and 100 years on Earth is nothing compared to eternity - my perspective changed. But, for those who are or have suffered great pain, I understand why this can be very hard to accept. If thats you Tar, I am sorry for your pain but my hope is to offer hope.
I’m not “starting to get” anything. My views haven’t changed one iota. You’re still throwing out a word salad to justify purely evil acts attributed to your god.

Trust in the Lord with all your heart…but your heart is deceitful in all things…but your god-given sense of judgement is in your heart…but your heart is desperately sick. SMH and yours should be spinning.

I do like the inclusion of Plato given that he lived hundreds of years before Jesus. The clearest indication that our sense of right and wrong exists independent of a Christian god. FTR, I’ve suffered no loss or pain that I attribute to any godly action or inaction. I don’t have to tie myself into knots to excuse a Uvalde based on some mysterious godly plan that you acknowledge with one voice and deny with another. This child lives…praise God! That child dies…not God!

*shrug* OK…as Brian has stated.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT