ADVERTISEMENT

**NEW** Iowa Women's Basketball Recruiting Thread

Now while we’re not a destination school I’d argue we’re a top 10 job these days, even when CC leaves. Our attendance and passion for women’s bball goes way back.
What schools make up your top 10? Is Iowa State one of them?

For sure starters next year are Stuelke and Affolter, and probably McCabe and Feuerbach. McCabe was recruited mainly as a 2 but the coaches seem very aware that we need to develop our PG depth or else she wouldn't be getting the reps at the 1 that we've seen her get in garbage time. I think Affolter can cover minutes at the 1 as well as we have seen Kate Martin do at times (we saw this more before acquiring Molly Davis).

After that I would expect O'Grady at the 5 (seniority/experience) unless either Heiden or Mallengi are a clear star and too good to keep off the floor. (If Mallengi then Hannah stays at the 5.)

McCabe
Feuerbach
Affolter
Stuelke
O'Grady/Heiden

or

McCabe
Feuerbach
Affolter
Mallengi
Stuelke

Even if they don't start Heiden, Mallengi, and probably Stremlow are part of the core rotation:

McCabe
Feuerbach/Stremlow
Affolter
Stuelke/Mallengi
O'Grady/Heiden

It's not impossible but Gyamfi, Goodman, Ediger, and KJE will need to make a big jump to crack the main rotation. Levin is probably lower on the depth chart too unless she is vastly underrated as a recruit. Guyton probably redshirts and Jones is IR.
Someone started a new thread about this, if of interest:

Reactions: RIGHTWINGHAWK
For sure starters next year are Stuelke and Affolter, and probably McCabe and Feuerbach. McCabe was recruited mainly as a 2 but the coaches seem very aware that we need to develop our PG depth or else she wouldn't be getting the reps at the 1 that we've seen her get in garbage time. I think Affolter can cover minutes at the 1 as well as we have seen Kate Martin do at times (we saw this more before acquiring Molly Davis).

After that I would expect O'Grady at the 5 (seniority/experience) unless either Heiden or Mallengi are a clear star and too good to keep off the floor. (If Mallengi then Hannah stays at the 5.)

McCabe
Feuerbach
Affolter
Stuelke
O'Grady/Heiden

or

McCabe
Feuerbach
Affolter
Mallengi
Stuelke

Even if they don't start Heiden, Mallengi, and probably Stremlow are part of the core rotation:

McCabe
Feuerbach/Stremlow
Affolter
Stuelke/Mallengi
O'Grady/Heiden

It's not impossible but Gyamfi, Goodman, Ediger, and KJE will need to make a big jump to crack the main rotation. Levin is probably lower on the depth chart too unless she is vastly underrated as a recruit. Guyton probably redshirts and Jones is IR.
If Clark leaves and there are no impact transfers, I don’t think Iowa is a tournament team next year. The backcourt and the bigs outside of Stuelke are very underwhelming.

If Clark leaves and there are no impact transfers, I don’t think Iowa is a tournament team next year. The backcourt and the bigs outside of Stuelke are very underwhelming.
They will have a hard time replacing 30 points and 9 assists per game but Kate has been very good this year also.

Caitlin - no replacing her - Feurbach
Martin - Affolter should be better her senior year
Davis - Stremlow/Levin - With Guyton out
Gabby - Mallengi can shoot and rebound
Hannah has to be much better
Addie and Heiden could be tough inside
Edinger has ability and Gyamfi is athletic
Not sure where KJE and Goodman fit

They will have a hard time replacing 30 points and 9 assists per game but Kate has been very good this year also.

Caitlin - no replacing her - Feurbach
Martin - Affolter should be better her senior year
Davis - Stremlow/Levin - With Guyton out
Gabby - Mallengi can shoot and rebound
Hannah has to be much better
Addie and Heiden could be tough inside
Edinger has ability and Gyamfi is athletic
Not sure where KJE and Goodman fit
What happens with Taylor?

• Haha
Reactions: HIWILLE
Let's say Layla Hays commits. She'd be playing with Ava Heiden for 3 years, and Hannah for one year. With Mallegni, it looks like a more 3-5 oriented team, and Lisa and Jan have made that work before. But you still have to have a PG/floor general. Do y'all think that Stremlow might be able to fill that role? If not, who?

Reactions: chaneccooms
I'm unsure who to direct this to, but can staff please interview the WBB recruits as well? We have a lot of interviews released featuring potential recruits for MBB, but I don't recall seeing any for the WBB team since Kyle left. I am sure there is an interest there among Hawkeye fans. Also, if we reach out to interview a recruit visiting our campus, we are showing that we value them and prioritize WBB at Iowa.

Last edited:
Reactions: FrankBurns00
I'm unsure who to direct this to, but can staff please interview the WBB recruits as well? We have a lot of interviews released featuring potential recruits for MBB, but I don't recall seeing any for the WBB team since Kyle left. I am sure there is an interest there among Hawkeye fans. Also, if we reach out to interview a recruit visiting our campus, we are showing that we value them and prioritize WBB at Iowa.
Sorry to explain the facts. You will not see interviews except on the paid sites.

Let's say Layla Hays commits. She'd be playing with Ava Heiden for 3 years, and Hannah for one year. With Mallegni, it looks like a more 3-5 oriented team, and Lisa and Jan have made that work before. But you still have to have a PG/floor general. Do y'all think that Stremlow might be able to fill that role? If not, who?
They must feel really good about Guyton, Stremlow, and KJE. I haven't seen Kennise play yet, but she was the #3 guard in Illinois in her class.

Also, they may be in a good place with Greenway for the future or may be pickier about who they choose to offer for the PG spot.

Also, I've noticed that many of our '26 recruits seem to be friends already.. (Ex: Greenway, Lewis, Bjorn.) Hopefully, that helps with recruiting in the long run.

Sorry to explain the facts. You will not see interviews except on the paid sites.
Unfortunately, what I said are the facts on the paid Premium thread as well 😕 There are a lot of MBB recruits interviewed, but I have not seen one for WBB since Kyle worked here. Maybe I missed one, but I am pretty certain that there hasn't been one since then.

Unfortunately, what I said are the facts on the paid Premium thread as well 😕 There are a lot of MBB recruits interviewed, but I have not seen one for WBB since Kyle worked here. Maybe I missed one, but I am pretty certain that there hasn't been one since then.
Sorry for misunderstanding . I am on TOS with great coverage.

Reactions: letsgosports
If Clark leaves after this year, you'd have to imagine the starting lineup would be Kylie, Affolter, Mccabe, Stuelke, and Goodman/O'grady. Probably an NCAA tournament team with a really good freshman class coming in to contribute.
PG - prospects in 2025 -Bourrage
PG - prospects in 2026 - Greenway and/or Lewis.

Reactions: Torg
If Clark leaves after this year, you'd have to imagine the starting lineup would be Kylie, Affolter, Mccabe, Stuelke, and Goodman/O'grady. Probably an NCAA tournament team with a really good freshman class coming in to contribute.
PG - prospects in 2025 -Bourrage
PG - prospects in 2026 - Greenway and/or Lewis.
Bourrage isn't coming. The Guyton injury hurts. I think the staff was counting on her for quality minutes. McCabe isn't a PG & I don't think playing her there is the way to go. Kylie seems like a backup 2/3 at this point.

The topic of next year's roster/starting line-up is being discussed in another thread: https://iowa.forums.rivals.com/threads/next-years-womens-team.437217/#post-11907043 -- please chime in! Some of my thoughts below for reference:

I actually follow a few evaluators for PGH / ESPN / etc on Twitter and one of them is very friendly, so I messaged them to see what they think about the lineup next year. They predicted that Stremlow, Levin and Kennise will all get a shot at the 1 but in their professional opinion, Stremlow will ultimately get the starting spot til Guyton heals — due to her court vision. They agree that Guyton is clearly the most talented and were hopeful she may be able to get back into the lineup after Christmas break.

Sounds like the gap between Guyton and Stremlow at PG might be large enough that it would be worth recalibrating mid-season even tho she’ll miss the whole summer. They do not see McCabe working out at the 1 and I’ve agreed with that since I started thinking about this topic. Anyway, this person tends be very knowledgeable — as they should be since they get paid to do so. Therefore, I predict the following early:
  • PG: Stremlow -> Johnson
  • SG: McCabe -> Mallegni
  • SF: Feuerbach -> Gyamfi/Mallegni
  • PF: Affolter -> Gyamfi
  • C: Stuelke -> O’Grady/Goodman/Heiden
But ideally, it could ultimately turn into a rotation of the following:
  • PG: Guyton -> Stremlow
  • SG: McCabe / Feuerbach (not sure who would get the edge)
  • SF: Affolter -> Feuerbach / Mallegni
  • PF: Stuelke -> Gyamfi
  • C: Heiden -> O’Grady/Goodman
A couple months ago I was more bullish on Feuerbach but since she has kind of taken a step back, I'm less confident she will break thru as a starter in a fully healthy lineup.

As I’ve said elsewhere, I think Mallegni has a good shot at ultimately playing the PF (a la Warnock) but Bluder prefers freshmen to either learn the 2/3 or 4/5 and I don’t see her expecting Mallegni, a guard, to focus on the 4/5.
Sounds like we may be in for a bumpy ride with Stremlow at PG as a freshman but on the bright side, she could provide valuable depth in the long run...

As for top targets for 2025, we could have anywhere from 3-5 spots open, depending on what happens with Feuerbach's COVID year and Ava Jones' sholarship. But I think Bluder should lean toward a front-court heavy class for 2025, bc we'll only have one true C on our roster for 2025-2026, we’ll have just lost O’Grady, Edigar & Goodman, and we'll be about to lose Hannah and Jada (Goodman will have a COVID year but I’m doubtful Bluder offers it to her).

Furthermore, we'll also lose McCabe and perhaps Feuerbach (if she is offered the 5th year -- I have mixed thoughts on that in the thread I linked above). So that's one or two veteran shooters to replace as well. So I would think:
  • Layla Hays should be a top target. It's interesting that she's only been on two OVs and Iowa is one of them. She may very well take 10 come Spring however.
  • Brynn McGaughy should be a top target at PF (she was reportedly planning to visit in the fall -- here's hoping she is still warm, but her recuirting journey has been pretty opaque)
  • Addie Deal should be (and I assume is) our top W target (I'm posting more about Deal in the 2025 recruiting thread today if of interest).
We don't seem to have a lot of 2025 targets at PF or C, so I'm really not aware of any Plan Bs, but Bluder certainly is.

The W situation is a different story though -- if we can't get Deal, it would seem Jordan Speiser or Taliyah Henderson are the best prospects. Both warm to Iowa, both frequent on our coaches travel schedule, both in very high demand.

I guess it's worth mentioning that W Dee Alexander (top 5 recruit) has also included Iowa in her Top 15 but I'll be shocked if she ends up at Iowa....I'm sure she'll announce a Top 10 before summer, let's see if Iowa is in it...finally, two other top 50 recruits in 2025 seem pretty warm to Iowa -- both guards. Destiny Jackson of IL (based on social media activity) and Adelaide Jernigan (who was supposed to visit during the Indiana game but had to cxl due to weather, and has Iowa in her Top 10).

Looking to 2026-2027, our upperclasswomen will be very guard-heavy, so I think our top targets for the class of 2026 should largely be PG/Gs. Lewis and Greenway both certainly fit that mold and as everyone here likely already knows, both seem very warm to Iowa. People have said similar things about Addison Bjorn on all counts, but I haven't seen as much myself so I can't speak to that. Signing 2 of these 3 would be a homerun.

Top 5 in 2026 C Olivia Vukosa out of NYC will of course remain a top target of Jan's (and Jan’s already been to NYC to see her) -- especially since there’s no guarantee we’ll get another C in 2025, let alone Hays — but Volusa is another that would shock me if Iowa even enters her Top 10.

To be clear, if Iowa is able to sign even one of the recruits mentioned here, it would represent a significant improvement in recruiting. The class of 2024 + Houston are already a pretty well rounded crew with the potential for a Sweet 16 — and maybe even an Elite 8 — a possibility. The addition of even one more talented kid would further cement a pretty hopeful outlook for the future of the program. I don’t see Bluder turning any of them down and I don’t see her holding a spot for Kylie or Goodman in lieu of offering a scholly to any of them.

Last edited:
The topic of next year's roster/starting line-up is being discussed in another thread: https://iowa.forums.rivals.com/threads/next-years-womens-team.437217/#post-11907043 -- please chime in! Some of my thoughts below for reference:

Sounds like we may be in for a bumpy ride with Stremlow at PG as a freshman but on the bright side, she could provide valuable depth in the long run...

As for top targets for 2025, we could have anywhere from 3-5 spots open, depending on what happens with Feuerbach's COVID year and Ava Jones' sholarship. But I think Bluder should lean toward a front-court heavy class for 2025, bc we'll only have one true C on our roster for 2025-2026, we’ll have just lost O’Grady, Edigar & Goodman, and we'll be about to lose Hannah and Jada (Goodman will have a COVID year but I’m doubtful Bluder offers it to her).

Furthermore, we'll also lose McCabe and perhaps Feuerbach (if she is offered the 5th year -- I have mixed thoughts on that in the thread I linked above). So that's one or two veteran shooters to replace as well. So I would think:
  • Layla Hays should be a top target. It's interesting that she's only been on two OVs and Iowa is one of them. She may very well take 10 come Spring however.
  • Brynn McGaughy should be a top target at PF (she was reportedly planning to visit in the fall -- here's hoping she is still warm, but her recuirting journey has been pretty opaque)
  • Addie Deal should be (and I assume is) our top W target (I'm posting more about Deal in the 2025 recruiting thread today if of interest).
We don't seem to have a lot of 2025 targets at PF or C, so I'm really not aware of any Plan Bs, but Bluder certainly is.

The W situation is a different story though -- if we can't get Deal, it would seem Jordan Speiser or Taliyah Henderson are the best prospects. Both warm to Iowa, both frequent on our coaches travel schedule, both in very high demand.

I guess it's worth mentioning that W Dee Alexander (top 5 recruit) has also included Iowa in her Top 15 but I'll be shocked if she ends up at Iowa....I'm sure she'll announce a Top 10 before summer, let's see if Iowa is in it...finally, two other top recruits in 2025 seem pretty warm to Iowa -- both guards. Destiny Henderson of IL (based on social media activity) and Adelaide Jernigan (who was supposed to visit during the Indiana game but had to cxl due to weather, and has Iowa in her Top 10).

Looking to 2026-2027, our upperclasswomen will be very guard-heavy, so I think our top recruits should largely be PG/Gs. Lewis and Greenway both certainly fit that mold and as everyone here likely already knows, both seem very warm to Iowa. People have said similar things about Addison Bjorn on all counts, but I haven't seen as much myself so I can't speak to that. Signing 2 of these 3 would be a homerun.

Top 5 in 2026 C Olivia Vukosa out of NYC will of course remain a top target of Jan's (and Jan’s already been to NYC to see her) -- especially since there’s no guarantee we’ll get another C in 2025, let alone Hays — but she's another that would shock me if Iowa even enters her Top 10.

To be clear, if Iowa is able to sign even one of the recruits mentioned here, it would represent a significant improvement in recruiting. The class of 2024 + Houston are already a pretty well rounded crew with the potential for a Sweet 16 — and maybe even an Elite 8 — a possibility. The addition of even one more talented kid would further cement a pretty hopeful outlook for the future of the program. I don’t see Bluder turning any of them down and I don’t see her holding a spot for Kylie or Goodman in lieu of offering a scholly to any of them.
Why would Layla Hays shock you? I believe someone in another thread mentioned Leah Magner is a cousin of hers, whom Bluder coached.

Reactions: jockos
Since Jan. 1, 2024, ASGR has issued updated recruiting rankings for the class of 2024. Can't vouch for ASGR, but they have been doing it since the 1990s. Anyway, ASGR continues to like Teagan Mallegni more than the others, moving her up to # 27 (will be interesting to see if ESPN moves Mallegni up when they update). Ava Heiden falls slightly to # 45. Guyton and Stremlow come in at #67 and # 86. Anyway, before Iowa fans get too pumped up, ASGR rates 15 BIG signees in the top 40, and 33 in the top 100:

ASGR
2024 Jaloni Cambridge 3 OSU
2024 Kennedy Smith 4 USC
2024 Olivia Olson 6 Michigan
2024 Kendall Dudley 8 UCLA
2024 Kiyomi McMiller 15 RU
2024 Britt Prince 21 Neb.
2024 Breanna Williams 22 MD
2024 Teagan Mallegni 27 Iowa
2024 Kayleigh Heckel 30 USC
2024 Avary Cain 31 UCLA
2024 Avery Howell 33 USC
2024 Syla Swords 35 Michigan
2024 Vivian Iwuchukwu 36 USC
2024 Ava McKennie 38 MD
2024 Katie Fiso 40 Oregon
2024 Berry Wallace 41 Illinois
2024 Kyndal Walker 43 MD
2024 Zania Socka-Nguemen 44 UCLA
2024 Ava Heiden 45 Iowa
2024 Xamiya Walton 50 NW
2024 Rian Forestier 51 USC
2024 Faith Wiseman 52 IU
2024 Devin Coppinger 53 Washington
2024 Sydney Fenn 60 IU
2024 Ava Watson 61 OSU
2024 Ella Hobbs 63 OSU
2024 Hayven Smith 66 Illinois
2024 Aaliyah Guyton 67 Iowa
2024 McKenna Johnson 72 MN
2024 Jordyn Poole 74 Purdue
2024 Taylor Stremlow 86 Iowa
2024 Tayla Thomas 90 NW
2024 Tori Mckinney 98 MN

Last edited:
Chloe Johnson from MN. Joined AIA late last season and played on their elite 16U team with Speiser, Houston, Bourrage, etc. 2028
Johnson's stats as an 8th grader playing varsity basketball: 27.3 ppg, 11.0 rpg, 9.4 apg, 4.2 spg, 1.9 topg, 49.2% from the floor, 43.7% from 3. She topped 1,000 career varsity points back in January.

Greenway is a tremendous prospect, but I'm not sure she's even the best PG prospect in the state of Minnesota right now. I'd be surprised of Johnson doesn't end up as a Top 5-10 player in her class. Maybe even #1.

USC with 4 of the top 36 and 5 of the top 51. Lots of NIL money there?
No idea on USC's NIL for WBB, but they have a star freshman in Juju Watkins and their campus is in one of the most desirable places for young people to live. Their recruiting pitch on those factors alone is stronger than most schools can offer.

The most likely option is probably the Iowa state tournament. Jenica Lewis is playing now and would play again tomorrow in the title game. Callie Levin also plays later today.

If Jan's taking a longer trip, Henderson is playing in Arizona, and McGaughy is playing in Washington. There could also be options in the 2027 or 2028 classes.

The most likely option is probably the Iowa state tournament. Jenica Lewis is playing now and would play again tomorrow in the title game. Callie Levin also plays later today.

If Jan's taking a longer trip, Henderson is playing in Arizona, and McGaughy is playing in Washington. There could also be options in the 2027 or 2028 classes.
Jenica Lewis is a priority. Next great in-state player.

Reactions: Torg
Just a note... Goodman is coming back for her redshirt year next season then moving on to nursing school, won't take her Covid season per an interview with her early this season.

Just a note... Goodman is coming back for her redshirt year next season then moving on to nursing school, won't take her Covid season per an interview with her early this season.
Next year is her red shirt senior season, not her COVID year. FWIW people can make plans and then change them. I’m sure if Bluder offered the Covid year, she could change her mind.

It’s the same with Feuerbach. She could take a COVID year after next year — but doesn’t currently plan to. Thats likely bc Bluder hasn’t offered it to anyone and won’t until well into next season. I think Bluder may offer it to Feuerbach (I don’t think she will offer it to Goodman), and Feuerbach can then decide to put off her plans for a year or not.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT