ADVERTISEMENT

New lettering on Kinnick

The only thing I dislike is all the stainless steel. It just looks cheap and reminds me of crappy soldier Field.

Same goes for the children's hospital,. It just looks like an eyesore with all that stainless steel.

The only thing I dislike is all the stainless steel. It just looks cheap and reminds me of crappy soldier Field.

Same goes for the children's hospital,. It just looks like an eyesore with all that stainless steel.

Every now and then each of us has to be “that guy”. I guess it was your time. ;)

I love the job they did on both buildings. :D

I’ve been to Norman. Kinnick is better I’m my eyes. In fact, I don’t like the interior of Oklahoma.

But it’s VERY subjective and that photo is really good.

I’m an old school guy. I find beauty in Ryan Field and nobody ever says that.
I'm old school to, but Ryan Field? The only beauty I see is that I only have to watch a game played there every other year. LOL :) And that's from the comfort of my couch. ;)

Reactions: Herkmeister
Like it matters. One is nothing but bare brick. The other is brick, stone, steel and more accents than a Victorian mansion. Here's some dreary for you. Still looks pretty damn good. lol

5cbf22cea2108.image.jpg
I’m sorry but Okla’s stadium really looks terrible compared to Kinnick!

It’s kind of an insult to Kinnick to be compared to that.

Most Iowa high school fields at tiny schools in the middle of nowhere have more character and charm than the cow pasture known as Ryan Field, which is one more reason why you have to give NW credit: How they recruit as well as they do and compete as well as they do--winning the West last year--is a few inches short of a miracle. I mean, who in the world would want to play your home games at Ryan Field in front of 25,000 people? (Any more than that are the visitor' fans.)

Reactions: SHAWKER
I'm old school to, but Ryan Field? The only beauty I see is that I only have to watch a game played there every other year. LOL :) And that's from the comfort of my couch. ;)

LOL, I am the only non-Northwestern fan I know who likes it.

I like the towers outside. I love the little hill inside the stadium. I don't like the track, but there's such an old school feel to Ryan Field, I can't help but like it. Like walking back into time.

On the other hand, Illinois' Memorial Stadium looks great from the outside, but I absolutely hate that stadium once you're inside. I have not yet seen it since their renovation and frankly, I don't plan to return to that shithole.

Most Iowa high school fields at tiny schools in the middle of nowhere have more character and charm than the cow pasture known as Ryan Field, which is one more reason why you have to give NW credit: How they recruit as well as they do and compete as well as they do--winning the West last year--is a few inches short of a miracle. I mean, who in the world would want to play your home games at Ryan Field in front of 25,000 people? (Any more than that are the visitor' fans.)

I think a degree from NW has a bit more value than most schools in the B1G. ;)

This is certainly helping their recruiting. :eek:

I think a degree from NW has a bit more value than most schools in the B1G. ;)

This is certainly helping their recruiting. :eek:

Nice athletic complex and rec center with which is shared with a number of sports and student groups. (football apparently shares it's practice field with lacrosse). That beautiful view of the lake will be cold as hell once the wind blows in off Lake Michigan. Still have to play their games at Ryan Field.

But yeah, really nice facility.

Last edited:
Reactions: LaQuintaHawkeye

I like the towers outside. I love the little hill inside the stadium. I don't like the track, but there's such an old school feel to Ryan Field, I can't help but like it. Like walking back into time.

On the other hand, Illinois' Memorial Stadium looks great from the outside, but I absolutely hate that stadium once you're inside. I have not yet seen it since their renovation and frankly, I don't plan to return to that shithole.

As a visiting fan from Chicago, I love that I can easily find tickets at 50 yard line and sit amongst a relatively large contingent of Hawkeye fans and scattered few Northwestern fans reading books during the game. For that reason, I like the stadium and hope it never changes. That said the towers remind me of the outside of Medieval Times in Schaumburg. Good times!

As a visiting fan from Chicago, I love that I can easily find tickets at 50 yard line and sit amongst a relatively large contingent of Hawkeye fans and scattered few Northwestern fans reading books during the game. For that reason, I like the stadium and hope it never changes. That said the towers remind me of the outside of Medieval Times in Schaumburg. Good times!

LOL, funny you'd say that. I'd never eat at one of these places. ;)

But I "LOVE" this place next to Ryan Field.

Dyche Stadium is a small venue with some blocked sightlines, the bathrooms are worse than the usual, but it is kind of intimate too. You are pretty close to the field. The architecture is pretty classic.

If you are from out of town and haven't made the road trip to NU, go. You can take the el from Chicago, walk half a mile, maybe 3/4 of a mile to the stadium, get plastered and not worry about getting busted for DUI. Because bars are limited in number and quality in Evanston get a hotel room in Chicago. Park your car on Friday and don't worry about it until Sunday. After the game take the el south to the city and enjoy the restaurants and bars. You won't have to go far from your hotel except for the game.

Last edited:
Dyche Stadium had a track. Ryan Field does not have a track.

I think it hosted the Olympic trials at one time. I'm too lazy to look it up, but I think it was renamed Ryan Field in the late 90's and the name change created some angst.

You got me, it is Ryan Field now. I guess I always liked the name Dyche (pronounced dike) Stadium. Be careful about looking up Dyche and dike on the internet, viruses may be attached. That's what a friend told me.

I'm in agreement, I absolutely hate Illinois stadium. And actually I was just teasing you about Ryan Field. Lol okay only semi teasing you cuz I really don't like it. :) you know actually it's good there's variety whether we like the stadium or not, otherwise they'd be like NASCAR and they would all be cookie-cutter facilities.

I'm in agreement, I absolutely hate Illinois stadium. And actually I was just teasing you about Ryan Field. Lol okay only semi teasing you cuz I really don't like it. :) you know actually it's good there's variety whether we like the stadium or not, otherwise they'd be like NASCAR and they would all be cookie-cutter facilities.

Illinois’ football stadium has plans to become much, much better. The main problem is the weird, distant end zone seating. Some elements

Reactions: scotthawk1964
Nice athletic complex and rec center with which is shared with a number of sports and student groups. (football apparently shares it's practice field with lacrosse). That beautiful view of the lake will be cold as hell once the wind blows in off Lake Michigan. Still have to play their games at Ryan Field.

But yeah, really nice facility.
You do know that teams other than the Iowa Football Team use our indoor facility, right? ;)

Reactions: scotthawk1964
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT