ADVERTISEMENT

New OC/portal

ICHawk2440

HR All-State
Oct 27, 2018
I decided to look at the roster today and thought about what might iowa look for in the portal with a new OC. Am I crazy for thinking we might not actually do a whole lot or make any real splash moves this year??? Think about it. We will likely look for a corner. Maybe a LB and hopefully a QB. But will they find the amount of big time guys they did last year? The line is going to be very experienced. TEs aren’t a problem depth-wise. We got 2 young WRs last year. DL has plenty of youth… RBs have depth… Ferentz isn’t likely going to find a guy to completely revamp the offense no matter how much us fans want that… so my guess is a little scheme change is all. Would they get a guy to compete with Cade when he returns? Or just roll with what they got?? So many unknowns…

I decided to look at the roster today and thought about what might iowa look for in the portal with a new OC. Am I crazy for thinking we might not actually do a whole lot or make any real splash moves this year??? Think about it. We will likely look for a corner. Maybe a LB and hopefully a QB. But will they find the amount of big time guys they did last year? The line is going to be very experienced. TEs aren’t a problem depth-wise. We got 2 young WRs last year. DL has plenty of youth… RBs have depth… Ferentz isn’t likely going to find a guy to completely revamp the offense no matter how much us fans want that… so my guess is a little scheme change is all. Would they get a guy to compete with Cade when he returns? Or just roll with what they got?? So many unknowns…
Ferentz can find a guy IF KF relinquishes control of the Offense. If he goes to Grubb and says "The offense is yours, do what you do." Good chance you get a guy like that and start the rebuild.

I think really it depends on NIL. My 1 wish is we get away from under center unless its short yardage and goal line.
I think we HAVE to target a QB in the portal.
Cade can't stay healthy, Hill has shown no growth, Labas is gone and Lainez is an unknown.

I hope he goes outside his comfort zone. I've said multiple times we can be a good power running team out of pistol and shotgun and I hope he picks someone to do just that.

But I fully expect a bland vanilla choice.

Ferentz can find a guy IF KF relinquishes control of the Offense. If he goes to Grubb and says "The offense is yours, do what you do." Good chance you get a guy like that and start the rebuild.
I agree. I think some small tweaks to scheme are more likely than anything tho. I think the line needs some work too. Another Feth type guy would help a lot but I think these guys could be capable of some success if we could just get them in better situations.
I honestly think they should treat Cade like they did Petras but with the opportunity to be the backup in case of injuries… but he doesn’t want to be a backup. A good mobile QB and better play calling could make this offense good enough to win games

I think really it depends on NIL. My 1 wish is we get away from under center unless its short yardage and goal line.
I think we HAVE to target a QB in the portal.
Cade can't stay healthy, Hill has shown no growth, Labas is gone and Lainez is an unknown.
I understand your thinking, but as long as Cade is penciled in as the returning starter, I think it will be hard to attract a top-notch QB. We might be able to pick up a depth piece. Or maybe an unproven young guy who is willing to wait in line for a year.

But the high quality instant starters are going to want to see a quick and clear path to the QB1 spot. And we probably won’t be able to offer that.

I understand your thinking, but as long as Cade is penciled in as the returning starter, I think it will be hard to attract a top-notch QB. We might be able to pick up a depth piece. Or maybe an unproven young guy who is willing to wait in line for a year.

But the high quality instant starters are going to want to see a quick and clear path to the QB1 spot. And we probably won’t be able to offer that.
I agree, its mostly wishful thinking on my part. They may need to go the route of taking the most talented Mobile FCS QB they can find.

Reactions: Max_Rebo

Will Cade actually be able to go week 1? I mean iowa might need to expect a transfer QB to be the starter week one. Maybe someone with some confidence might say “give me the shot and see if he can take my job.”
I wouldn’t see Kirk being able to tell any QB, “hey kid you’re a placeholder no matter what, cades our guy when he’s back” especially if they perform well….
Which is why I’m worried hill stays and he understands he’s just holding cades spot for a few weeks…

Will Cade actually be able to go week 1? I mean iowa might need to expect a transfer QB to be the starter week one. Maybe someone with some confidence might say “give me the shot and see if he can take my job.”
I wouldn’t see Kirk being able to tell any QB, “hey kid you’re a placeholder no matter what, cades our guy when he’s back” especially if they perform well….
Which is why I’m worried hill stays and he understands he’s just holding cades spot for a few weeks…
Thats my rationale for getting a Transfer QB.

If we don't get one and our 1st play from scrimmage next year is Deacon taking a snap from under center with 2 TE's on the field for a 1 yard rush by our RB into a 9 man box I will throw the remote through my TV.

If we don't get one and our 1st play from scrimmage next year is Deacon taking a snap from under center with 2 TE's on the field for a 1 yard rush by our RB into a 9 man box I will throw my remote the TV.
That’s my ultimate fear. I sit around for 8-9 months waiting for football and Hill trots out there with Bud calling plays… idk if I could stomach it. No offense to either of those 2 humans… just not what I want to see happen

You mean look for a 3rd string wb in the portal? Cade and Hill will be back so their experience with the offensive "system" will make them 1 and 2 unless Petras comes back then he'll be the automatic 1.

If we don't get one and our 1st play from scrimmage next year is Deacon taking a snap from under center with 2 TE's on the field for a 1 yard rush by our RB into a 9 man box I will throw the remote through my TV.
You probably better start pricing new TVs now.
Even if they convince someone to transfer in they’re probably not passing Hill on the depth chart.

Reactions: dadster

You might want to go down to Goodwill and pick up a TV then. Hope I'm wrong.

Reactions: ButtersHawk

Just an fyi if you are able to actually hit your tv you will not be under consideration to be a qb at Iowa…… now if you overthrow the tv then you may want to check your eligibility status….

Just an fyi if you are able to actually hit your tv you will not be under consideration to be a qb at Iowa…… now if you overthrow the tv then you may want to check your eligibility status….
On second thought based off Iowa's playbook I can't even throw the remote in the first place. From where I like to sit on Gamedays my TV is basically dead center of my viewing area or some might call middle of the field. I cant find a middle of the field pass in the playbook but I'll keep looking

Last edited:
That’s my ultimate fear. I sit around for 8-9 months waiting for football and Hill trots out there with Bud calling plays… idk if I could stomach it. No offense to either of those 2 humans… just not what I want to see happen
I just really hope for a style change offensively

I love my Hawks but since the Purdue loss in '21 till now the Offense has pushed me right up to the point of apathy. When we lose (90% of the time cuz of our O) I kind of just think to myself "Welp go figure" and move on.

In a sick way I want to be upset again when we lose.

Reactions: wxhawk
OL being already experienced has not produced any results. Need to get 1-2 OL from a power 5 program who started, not a d2 program. 🙄

May be wrong, but have a hard time believing a top skilled Offensive Player would come to Iowa without knowing who the OC is and what the offense is going to be.

Not sure what when the transfer portal starts.

May be wrong, but have a hard time believing a top skilled Offensive Player would come to Iowa without knowing who the OC is and what the offense is going to be.

Not sure what when the transfer portal starts.
I think next year is a PROVE IT year offensively. We have to show something different and competent. 2025 may be a better year for O recruits and transfer portal.

OL being already experienced has not produced any results. Need to get 1-2 OL from a power 5 program who started, not a d2 program. 🙄
This off-season will be telling on if KF actually thinks these guys are any good. They might not be as bad in the right scheme change, definitely don’t think we have the horses to be a great line but certainly competent. No way some of these schools scoring more have better players on the line than iowa. I simply think it’s too easy for the defense to make their lives suck.
Also, last year either the coaches straight up lied to Cade or something went wrong.. remember he said they were “willing to change and actually listen to players.” I’m calling BS, which will make transfers think twice. IMO

This off-season will be telling on if KF actually thinks these guys are any good. They might not be as bad in the right scheme change, definitely don’t think we have the horses to be a great line but certainly competent. No way some of these schools scoring more have better players on the line than iowa. I simply think it’s too easy for the defense to make their lives suck.
Also, last year either the coaches straight up lied to Cade or something went wrong.. remember he said they were “willing to change and actually listen to players.” I’m calling BS, which will make transfers think twice. IMO
To be fair, I think Cade injuring his quad at kids day practice put the O in a position where it had to put limits on some of the things they were hoping to leverage with Cade's expected mobility and ability to move the pocket and stretch/stress defenses.

JMO

To be fair, I think Cade injuring his quad at kids day practice put the O in a position where it had to put limits on some of the things they were hoping to leverage with Cade's expected mobility and ability to move the pocket and stretch/stress defenses.

JMO
Your opinion is right. I think KF or BF basically came out and said it. My only argument against that is besides Penn St we passed blocked well early in the year. Problem is our route combinations/patterns are so garbage even Cade couldn't produce results.

Ive noticed for a couple years now theres usually a few plays a game where I see we have 2/3 pass catchers within 5-10 yards of each other. Not only do we formationally invite bodies into the box to stop our run game apparently we invite bodies to one area of the field to defend our pass game as well lol.

Reactions: DewHawk
If McNamara can walk, he is the starting QB no matter how bad he is. If you've followed Iowa football for any length of time, you know how Ferentz zeroes in on a guy and never wavers from that first choice. He's been forced to a couple of times, but lately, he has been behind his choice 100%. It's going to be hard to get a QB to transfer in under those circumstances. Outside of that, I think you go after any players in the portal that can improve the team, no matter what position. QB isn't our only deficiency.

Reactions: littlez
Considering today's light and fragile remotes, I'm not sure that is possible.

Reactions: ButtersHawk
McNamara is your #1 QB so no reason to waste NIL money on a backup. Laniez looks to be a player and guessing Hill has nowhere else to go.

Here are my areas of need
RT- If you can get a true RT you can move Dunker inside where he probably should be.
CB- going to be thin
DL- Got some great pieces already but will need depth
RB- probably going to lose one or two so will just need to be aware of the coming and going.
TE- should be fine even IF neither injured TE come back.

• Haha
Reactions: HawkOn15
McNamara is your #1 QB so no reason to waste NIL money on a backup. Laniez looks to be a player and guessing Hill has nowhere else to go.

Here are my areas of need
RT- If you can get a true RT you can move Dunker inside where he probably should be.
CB- going to be thin
DL- Got some great pieces already but will need depth
RB- probably going to lose one or two so will just need to be aware of the coming and going.
TE- should be fine even IF neither injured TE come back.
Tough to argue with any of that. If the staff has the indication that Lainez by next year can fully leap Hill to be the #2 I think I'd be ok sticking with Cade.
Any info on our safeties? Looks like Entringer takes over for Schulte?

Reactions: pistachio1999

Can you please have someone record that and post it here when it happens?

No quality WR or QB will come here if Kirk is still the coach. History has shown those positions are not productive the past few seasons.
Maybe this one ....................

giphy.gif

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT