ADVERTISEMENT

New OC/portal

Any OC candidate worth his salt would tell KF “I’m doing things my way, and that DH might as well transfer because no way is he taking a snap while under my watch.” Which is why I’m expecting the new OC to be an old buddy of KF’s either barely qualified for the job or coming out of retirement….and for DH to be “competing” for QB1.

I decided to look at the roster today and thought about what might iowa look for in the portal with a new OC. Am I crazy for thinking we might not actually do a whole lot or make any real splash moves this year??? Think about it. We will likely look for a corner. Maybe a LB and hopefully a QB. But will they find the amount of big time guys they did last year? The line is going to be very experienced. TEs aren’t a problem depth-wise. We got 2 young WRs last year. DL has plenty of youth… RBs have depth… Ferentz isn’t likely going to find a guy to completely revamp the offense no matter how much us fans want that… so my guess is a little scheme change is all. Would they get a guy to compete with Cade when he returns? Or just roll with what they got?? So many unknowns…
When you have favorite players it is hard to see them beat out for starting positions. But I would say that the hawks should try to get as many BETTER Olinemen from the portal as possible. Feth has proved that you can get a very good Olinemen who can quickly learn the blocking scheme and then do a very good job.

Many of these OLinemen in the portal have probably been coached on various schemes whether zone, gap blocking to either side, pulling, and straight ahead whatever you want to call it powerblocking.

Of course the number of portal players you can get is usually decided by how many players the team is losing thru graduation, leaving early for the pros or the portal. And then you know how many spots you have available and how many new freshman are coming in which gives you a number for portal transfers.

It might be good to get a proven Lbkr like Nick Jackson as the lbkrs on roster for next year have not had a lot of experience. PParker will know what he needs at the DBack position because he recruits and coaches them up.

QB, I hope it is a healthy Cade who can run much better or Lainez needs to start

I hope he goes outside his comfort zone. I've said multiple times we can be a good power running team out of pistol and shotgun and I hope he picks someone to do just that.

But I fully expect a bland vanilla choice.
I agree with the pistol vs the zone read as the RB is not favoring a side, the QB can spin 90 degrees and handoff or spin 270 degrees showing flow to one side but then handing it back to the other direction.

As far as under center, if you have a faster QB who can drop back quick to pass or handoff I think you can go under center a lot as well as in shotgun and give a negative tell to the defense

Now that I think about it lets just take 80% of our NIL $ and make an all star O out of Oregon St and Wash St at seasons end.
I dont know, if OreST and WashST are AAU members then after this season maybe the Big tells asjs them to join the Big in 2025 and they can play an independent schedule next year.

I would hope the Big 10 goes to 20 teams, 4 five team divisions, and a 10 game season schedule. That scenario keeps more game day dollars in the hands of the Big 10 teams and sets up 2 semifinal games and a Big Champ game. Although they could always have the top4 teams in an 18 game league play 2 semifinal games and a champ game

I agree with the pistol vs the zone read as the RB is not favoring a side, the QB can spin 90 degrees and handoff or spin 270 degrees showing flow to one side but then handing it back to the other direction.

As far as under center, if you have a faster QB who can drop back quick to pass or handoff I think you can go under center a lot as well as in shotgun and give a negative tell to the defense
I think the biggest problem is the predictability. Doctherman did an article explaining that we pass 95% of the time out of the gun. Thats why I want to get away from under center. Everything Kirk wants his offense to be can be done out of pistol/gun and it would probably more successful. JMO.

If everyone was healthy at this point in the season I truly believe with a good, creative, and established OC like a Sean Lewis, Ryan Grubb, Paul Chryst, etc. would be able to hit the 25 ppg mark and then some.

Reactions: wxhawk
OP...FFS. Brian's offense is dead last out of 130 teams...by a pretty significant margin.
DEAD.
LAST.

Reactions: wxhawk
Any OC candidate worth his salt would tell KF “I’m doing things my way, and that DH might as well transfer because no way is he taking a snap while under my watch.” Which is why I’m expecting the new OC to be an old buddy of KF’s either barely qualified for the job or coming out of retirement….and for DH to be “competing” for QB1.
Good post.

I think Iowa has to make a bigger move here than they're used to making. It is comically easy for other teams to negatively recruit against Iowa's horrific offense. If they hire some guy to do Kirk's bidding, that won't be enough to overcome that reputation.

They need to make a hire that tells the world big changes are coming. And at this point, why wouldn't you try? They are one of worst offenses in the history of the game, and they've been generally anemic on that side of the ball for years. Iowa's offense is badly lacking talent. I don't think they can close the talent gap without announcing big changes.

Reactions: wxhawk and littlez
Good post.

I think Iowa has to make a bigger move here than they're used to making. It is comically easy for other teams to negatively recruit against Iowa's horrific offense. If they hire some guy to do Kirk's bidding, that won't be enough to overcome that reputation.

They need to make a hire that tells the world big changes are coming. And at this point, why wouldn't you try? They are one of worst offenses in the history of the game, and they've been generally anemic on that side of the ball for years. Iowa's offense is badly lacking talent. I don't think they can close the talent gap without announcing big changes.
Very well said. If you have a marketing team that is not making inroads for your business, a sales team that is last in your markets for sales, and a product development team that needs some new ideas and juice, then stockholders or owners are going to make wholesale changes and try to get homerun hires and let them do the transformation.

Kirk is the CEO and Owner of the team and he needs to do this but as some have said maybe he is going to hang it up early in 2024 after the bowl game. Otherwise, why not at least spot play MarcoL at QB on 3rd downs when he can pick up a first down via the run if need be. Just coach him if the open pass isnt there just run it

Very well said. If you have a marketing team that is not making inroads for your business, a sales team that is last in your markets for sales, and a product development team that needs some new ideas and juice, then stockholders or owners are going to make wholesale changes and try to get homerun hires and let them do the transformation.

Kirk is the CEO and Owner of the team and he needs to do this
You left out one important factor in your corporate analogy - the bottom line, and KF's is the same no matter what he does, for as many as 6 more years or as long as he wants to do it, so why put any effort into changing?

Good post.

Honestly, I feel that KF making a huge and significant hire at OC will not happen. He personally feels BF, his son, was adequate and competent for the position. Going out and getting a significant and noteworthy hire would give credibility to the idea that he wants to upgrade the offense and that he is unhappy with his son’s performance. I just don’t see him doing it. I am expecting a blah hire that creates very little interest.

Honestly, I feel that KF making a huge and significant hire at OC will not happen. He personally feels BF, his son, was adequate and competent for the position. Going out and getting a significant and noteworthy hire would give credibility to the idea that he wants to upgrade the offense and that he is unhappy with his son’s performance. I just don’t see him doing it. I am expecting a blah hire that creates very little interest.
I agree with the above. Ferentz won't make any significant changes to the offense and will hire another figurehead as OC. JMO

Have some faith. Don’t you think Brian getting fired sent a pretty strong message to Kirk?

No way he continues his lack of interest in having a modernized, effective offense….Right?

My god, Kirk…please adapt.

• Haha
Reactions: HawkOn15
I decided to look at the roster today and thought about what might iowa look for in the portal with a new OC. Am I crazy for thinking we might not actually do a whole lot or make any real splash moves this year??? Think about it. We will likely look for a corner. Maybe a LB and hopefully a QB. But will they find the amount of big time guys they did last year? The line is going to be very experienced. TEs aren’t a problem depth-wise. We got 2 young WRs last year. DL has plenty of youth… RBs have depth… Ferentz isn’t likely going to find a guy to completely revamp the offense no matter how much us fans want that… so my guess is a little scheme change is all. Would they get a guy to compete with Cade when he returns? Or just roll with what they got?? So many unknowns…
Replace losses to the portal, maybe Johnson and Labas, losses to Graduation, WR, OL DE/DT and LB....and how do you pass up another Kaleb Brown if he is out there, stuck in the coaching carousel, stuck behind a few 4 and 5-star players ahead of them in the depth chart. Cover your needs, and keep your eyes open, never can tell.

When you have favorite players it is hard to see them beat out for starting positions. But I would say that the hawks should try to get as many BETTER Olinemen from the portal as possible. Feth has proved that you can get a very good Olinemen who can quickly learn the blocking scheme and then do a very good job.

Many of these OLinemen in the portal have probably been coached on various schemes whether zone, gap blocking to either side, pulling, and straight ahead whatever you want to call it powerblocking.

Of course the number of portal players you can get is usually decided by how many players the team is losing thru graduation, leaving early for the pros or the portal. And then you know how many spots you have available and how many new freshman are coming in which gives you a number for portal transfers.

It might be good to get a proven Lbkr like Nick Jackson as the lbkrs on roster for next year have not had a lot of experience. PParker will know what he needs at the DBack position because he recruits and coaches them up.

QB, I hope it is a healthy Cade who can run much better or Lainez needs to start

FWIW…..while on sabbatical every fan board I visited talked about “favorite” players, playing the wrong people, Cronyism, etc….

Quits being a very relevant argument when every staff is accused of it 🤷‍♂️ just sayin’….

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT