ADVERTISEMENT

New University of Iowa diversity head resigns after one month

cigaretteman

HR King
May 29, 2001
Just seven weeks after starting as the University of Iowa’s long-sought associate vice president for diversity, equity, and inclusion — a high-profile post guiding what UI touts as a top priority — TaJuan Wilson “has chosen to resign” and take a temporary job elsewhere on campus while he job hunts.

“Coming to Iowa was a leap of faith for me personally and professionally,” Wilson, 32, said in a statement. “I have great respect for the university and the work being done in diversity, equity, and inclusion and believe Iowa has the potential to be on the right path.”

Wilson officially arrived on campus June 28 from the Medical University of South Carolina — where he was assistant professor and executive director of student programs and diversity. He’ll spend the next five and a half months working with UI Vice President for External Relations Peter Matthes while he “pursues a new opportunity,” according to the UI Office of Strategic Communication.

UI officials did not immediately clarify whether he’s looking for a different job on campus or at another institution or entity. While the university said Wilson will spend the next five months “on initiatives that support the university’s work to become a more inclusive and equitable campus,” it did not clarify what specific work Wilson will be doing.

Upon hire, Wilson was given an annual salary of $224,000. The university did not immediately answer questions about whether that will change with his shift in job responsibilities. The university also did not immediately make clear why it chose five and a half months for Wilson’s temporary stint.

“This opportunity will be wonderful for the right person, but it is not the right fit for me at this time,” Wilson said.

Wilson’s hire, which was announced in April, came two years after his predecessor — Georgina Dodge — left for a similar job at Pennsylvania’s Bucknell University. Dodge in March was named vice president of diversity and inclusion at the University of Maryland.

During the university’s extended national search to replace her, it filled the post with two interims — first Lena Hill, who left in May 2018 to become dean of the College at Washington and Lee University in Kentucky, and then UI Vice President for Student Life Melissa Shivers, who served a dual role for more than a year.

The university hired consultant Isaacson-Miller to conduct the search for a chief diversity officer — paying the firm an estimated fee of $66,000, plus expenses, which had topped $7,000 as of August 2018, according to The Gazette’s reporting.

The university did not immediately report, upon announcing Wilson’s resignation, how it will pursue his replacement and whether it will launch another search. With his departure, though, the university is instituting a new reporting structure “in order to bring clarity to diversity, equity, and inclusion efforts on campus.”

The units that make up the Division of Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion — including the Center for Diversity and Enrichment; the Office of Equal Opportunity and Diversity; and Diversity Resources — all now will report directly to Executive Vice President and Provost Montse Fuentes, who also is new, having started the same day as Wilson — on June 28.

“TaJuan provided the campus with a fresh look at our action plan and valuable feedback regarding our implementation plan,” Fuentes said in a statement. “I’m thankful for his thoughtful contributions.”

UI President Bruce Harreld, who made the final hiring decisions that were approved by the Board of Regents, said “strong collaboration between the provost and the three directors, along with deans and other campus leaders, is crucial to executing the goals of the (Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion) Action Plan.”

“The alignment of these exceedingly important units with the Office of the Provost is another step in continuing to create a cohesive approach to supporting, recruiting, and retaining students, faculty, and staff,” Harreld said.

Wilson did not immediately respond to The Gazette’s request for an interview Thursday.

https://www.thegazette.com/subject/...ajuan-wilson-resigns-after-one-month-20190815

If you think that pays too much google UIHC spokesperson Tom Moore or UI spokesman. Their salaries are public record on the PC. They get paid to open their mouth and read prepared statements written by attorneys. Sweet gig if you can get it.

It sounds like a job that pays a generous salary to an applicant that isn't expected to accomplish much.....

Universities these days spend a lot of time touting their diversity and inclusiveness. It's business and they're competing with each other. They need something tangible to point to.

That they're actually doing anything meaningful is another topic altogether.

I understand the need for policies and procedures for broad issues like ‘diversity.’ But, in this age of cost-savings in our public universities is this the best use of tax dollars?

I’m not alone in this, there are a lot of us on both sides of the campus who see this as just a “feel-good, CYA” position that doesn’t meet the muster of a cost-benefit analysis.

I understand the need for policies and procedures for broad issues like ‘diversity.’ But, in this age of cost-savings in our public universities is this the best use of tax dollars?

I’m not alone in this, there are a lot of us on both sides of the campus who see this as just a “feel-good, CYA” position that doesn’t meet the muster of a cost-benefit analysis.
Right, and even worse they spent money recruiting this flake to Iowa, only to have him quit. Then he gets to spend 5.5 months hanging out getting paid while trying to find something to do. What a waste of money.

Right, and even worse they spent money recruiting this flake to Iowa, only to have him quit. Then he gets to spend 5.5 months hanging out getting paid while trying to find something to do. What a waste of money.
It burns my biscuits to think of the number of Ts & As...um...research assistants I could hire for that kind of coin.:oops:

I’m sure there are other worthwhile things that $$ could pay for, too.;)

If it's taken over two years to fill and then the guy that took it resigned in 7 weeks, I'd say the market disagrees with you.
The whole market for administration positions at universities needs a serious overhaul, imo.
It seems that, aside from university administration officials, everybody agrees that tuition is too high at most universities and administration costs play a role in that.

You're in the wrong business doc :) Especially you, who are in essence Doc^2 :)
You haven’t seen my expenses! Luxury yacht on the Cedar, souped up Saturn wagon, brand spanking new combination weed whacker/cultivator, only the finest clothing from Blair catalog, 5 liter boxes of Franzia wine (Chardonnay, mind you)...

Ah, it’s the good life for me, my wife (no pics), and our dog!

This, along with so many other unnecessary positions and expenses at public universities is one of the reasons I’m against the free college tuition being proposed. Get this nonsense out of our universities, reign in the costs, then let’s talk.

Just seven weeks after starting as the University of Iowa’s long-sought associate vice president for diversity, equity, and inclusion — a high-profile post guiding what UI touts as a top priority — TaJuan Wilson “has chosen to resign” and take a temporary job elsewhere on campus while he job hunts.

“Coming to Iowa was a leap of faith for me personally and professionally,” Wilson, 32, said in a statement. “I have great respect for the university and the work being done in diversity, equity, and inclusion and believe Iowa has the potential to be on the right path.”

Wilson officially arrived on campus June 28 from the Medical University of South Carolina — where he was assistant professor and executive director of student programs and diversity. He’ll spend the next five and a half months working with UI Vice President for External Relations Peter Matthes while he “pursues a new opportunity,” according to the UI Office of Strategic Communication.

UI officials did not immediately clarify whether he’s looking for a different job on campus or at another institution or entity. While the university said Wilson will spend the next five months “on initiatives that support the university’s work to become a more inclusive and equitable campus,” it did not clarify what specific work Wilson will be doing.

Upon hire, Wilson was given an annual salary of $224,000. The university did not immediately answer questions about whether that will change with his shift in job responsibilities. The university also did not immediately make clear why it chose five and a half months for Wilson’s temporary stint.

“This opportunity will be wonderful for the right person, but it is not the right fit for me at this time,” Wilson said.

Wilson’s hire, which was announced in April, came two years after his predecessor — Georgina Dodge — left for a similar job at Pennsylvania’s Bucknell University. Dodge in March was named vice president of diversity and inclusion at the University of Maryland.

During the university’s extended national search to replace her, it filled the post with two interims — first Lena Hill, who left in May 2018 to become dean of the College at Washington and Lee University in Kentucky, and then UI Vice President for Student Life Melissa Shivers, who served a dual role for more than a year.

The university hired consultant Isaacson-Miller to conduct the search for a chief diversity officer — paying the firm an estimated fee of $66,000, plus expenses, which had topped $7,000 as of August 2018, according to The Gazette’s reporting.

The university did not immediately report, upon announcing Wilson’s resignation, how it will pursue his replacement and whether it will launch another search. With his departure, though, the university is instituting a new reporting structure “in order to bring clarity to diversity, equity, and inclusion efforts on campus.”

The units that make up the Division of Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion — including the Center for Diversity and Enrichment; the Office of Equal Opportunity and Diversity; and Diversity Resources — all now will report directly to Executive Vice President and Provost Montse Fuentes, who also is new, having started the same day as Wilson — on June 28.

“TaJuan provided the campus with a fresh look at our action plan and valuable feedback regarding our implementation plan,” Fuentes said in a statement. “I’m thankful for his thoughtful contributions.”

UI President Bruce Harreld, who made the final hiring decisions that were approved by the Board of Regents, said “strong collaboration between the provost and the three directors, along with deans and other campus leaders, is crucial to executing the goals of the (Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion) Action Plan.”

“The alignment of these exceedingly important units with the Office of the Provost is another step in continuing to create a cohesive approach to supporting, recruiting, and retaining students, faculty, and staff,” Harreld said.

Wilson did not immediately respond to The Gazette’s request for an interview Thursday.

https://www.thegazette.com/subject/...ajuan-wilson-resigns-after-one-month-20190815
I’d guess he had major culture shock and decided IC isn’t where he wants to live. If that is the case, I believe he probably acted too soon. Over time, IC can warm to you.

Reactions: dekhawk
This, along with so many other unnecessary positions and expenses at public universities is one of the reasons I’m against the free college tuition being proposed. Get this nonsense out of our universities, reign in the costs, then let’s talk.

Agreed. You have a non-essential position adding $220k/year plus benefits in costs. You could give out 10-20 full scholarships in perpetuity instead to minority, etc. students and actually see something tangible if you really needed to spend the money.

I saw on twitter the other day the UI advertising its top ranked recreational center with rock climbing wall. Again, its nice to have and I get that you are fighting for students but if you want luxuries then don’t be asking for free college.

Reactions: Menace Sockeyes
I'm pissed at the University for paying a $224,000 salary on a diversity position. Iowa City's cost of living is not that high. Lower tuition, don't raise faculty's salary.

On a college visit last year, one of the university reps said, in effect, if you don’t have a bulldozer actively working on campus, the school is getting left behind. Tons and tons of wasted tuition on bulldozer projects and $220,000 positions. It still amazes me that it’s taken this long to really, truly look at the price of attending college and what you actually get for the tuition.

On a college visit last year, one of the university reps said, in effect, if you don’t have a bulldozer actively working on campus, the school is getting left behind. Tons and tons of wasted tuition on bulldozer projects and $220,000 positions. It still amazes me that it’s taken this long to really, truly look at the price of attending college and what you actually get for the tuition.

“University representative”...what sort of position does he or she hold?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT