ADVERTISEMENT

Next 3 months (and whether Oklahoma gets what it wants) could determine Big 12's Future

If we continue to add teams, at what point does each division basically become a conference?

At 16 teams, we'd play non division teams once every 4 years! Once ever 8 years at home!!! What's the the point? And what a shame!

If we're gonna do it, then everyone might as well go big. Just get rid of the big 12 and go to 4 power conferences of 20 teams 10 teams/division.

It would end most complaining in football. You win your division and then your conference games and you're in the final 4. If you don't...you don't deserve to be there. Add in a clause that forces an additional neutral playoff game if the division is tied and the home team won head2head by less than 4 points and you're golden.

Basketball you could do the same thing, or expand the conference season 1 game...play everyone once.

etc

i love ISU fans getting their panties all in a bunch when the discussion (once again) of the Big 12 breaking up comes up and the fact that no major conference will want them.

If ISU fans would read the article in the OP, they would see that Oklahoma wants 3 things; and if they don't get those 3 things? Well, read the damn article!!!

I really do hope Oklahoma and Kansas leave for the Big 10. I enjoy gnats biting at my ankles more than I like anything about Iowa State.

Come on Oklahoma, do the right thing and start the dismantling of the Big 12. We welcome you and Kansas to the Big 10.

If we continue to add teams, at what point does each division basically become a conference?

At 16 teams, we'd play non division teams once every 4 years! Once ever 8 years at home!!! What's the the point? And what a shame!

If we're gonna do it, then everyone might as well go big. Just get rid of the big 12 and go to 4 power conferences of 20 teams 10 teams/division.

It would end most complaining in football. You win your division and then your conference games and you're in the final 4. If you don't...you don't deserve to be there. Add in a clause that forces an additional neutral playoff game if the division is tied and the home team won head2head by less than 4 points and you're golden.

Basketball you could do the same thing, or expand the conference season 1 game...play everyone once.

etc

There are several ways to eliminate the concerns you express. One method has groupings of four teams, two each per division. Teams play each of the other four on an ongoing basis and rotate two teams from each of the other three groupings on a rotating basis. It eliminates the excessively long absences of any one team from the schedule.

Sixteen team conferences among four leagues is ideal. The best of each division plays in what then becomes a quarterfinal game leading into the four team playoff. No need to juggle bowl games. No expansion of the current playoff system.

Football will determine the format and outcome in all of this. One thing that is fairly certain at this point is that the big xii will not survive in its current ten team alignment. Either that league attracts quality teams enough to expand (and alter the way other issues are handled per the letter from Boren) or they don't. In either case, the ten team conference has very likely seen its best days.

Gundy, OSU head coach, thinks within 5 yrs. it will be down to 3 power conferences. Which will consist of the West, Midwest, and Eastern. Rick Neuheisel thinks it will be 4 power conferences. Doesn't sound good for some of the Big 12 members.

i love ISU fans getting their panties all in a bunch when the discussion (once again) of the Big 12 breaking up comes up and the fact that no major conference will want them.

If ISU fans would read the article in the OP, they would see that Oklahoma wants 3 things; and if they don't get those 3 things? Well, read the damn article!!!

I really do hope Oklahoma and Kansas leave for the Big 10. I enjoy gnats biting at my ankles more than I like anything about Iowa State.

Come on Oklahoma, do the right thing and start the dismantling of the Big 12. We welcome you and Kansas to the Big 10.

Can an Iowa fan explain to me how bringing Oklahoma into the big 10 helps Iowa? I get the idea, it might destroy ISU, but how does it help Iowa? We saw the same thing in wrestling, Iowa fans laughing when Sanderson left ISU for Penn. St, how has that helped Iowa, they went from the best wrestling school in the country to a school behind Penn. State. Oklahoma and Kansas will be the same deal, it might destroy ISU, but it will hurt Iowa's chances of winning championships that much more. But I guess, some people are ok with that if ISU is forced to the MAC or the mountain west. But, in reality ISU will be fine, they will end up in the ACC or the PAC 10 when its all said and done, and Iowa will slide another ring down the ladder in sports. Be careful what you wish for.

Can an Iowa fan explain to me how bringing Oklahoma into the big 10 helps Iowa? I get the idea, it might destroy ISU, but how does it help Iowa? We saw the same thing in wrestling, Iowa fans laughing when Sanderson left ISU for Penn. St, how has that helped Iowa, they went from the best wrestling school in the country to a school behind Penn. State. Oklahoma and Kansas will be the same deal, it might destroy ISU, but it will hurt Iowa's chances of winning championships that much more. But I guess, some people are ok with that if ISU is forced to the MAC or the mountain west. But, in reality ISU will be fine, they will end up in the ACC or the PAC 10 when its all said and done, and Iowa will slide another ring down the ladder in sports. Be careful what you wish for.

OU is a brand name in college athletics - more specifically, in collegiate football. Has nothing at all to do with isu. OU strengthens the overall presence of the already powerful Big Ten as their addition would to the Pac 12 and even the SEC.

Wrestling is a poor analogy at best. There is a saying in the Iowa room that 'steel sharpens steel.' Iowa wrestling was not always the standard bearer in terms of national championships, but the Hawks never shied away from competing with and to be the best. In large part, the Big Ten has Iowa to thank for the current strength of teams such as Penn State, Ohio State and Minnesota among others. Sanderson left isu for a whole different set of reasons other than to be better than Iowa. He had experienced isu from the perspective of a world class athlete. Then he got to see what it was like on the other side of the coin, so to speak and he did not particularly care for how the isu administrated athletically. The Penn State opportunity was available and it was a very easy decision for him to make at that time. But, that does not deter Iowa in the least from striving and preparing each and every day to regain the top rung in wrestling.

A much better comparison would be Penn State football. When PSU joined the Big Ten in the early 90's, the Nittany Lions has developed national recognition of their football program. Many then said that they likely would be the team to supplant Ohio State and/or Michigan at the top of the conference. In 1994, PSU did achieve supremacy of sorts with a perfect conference and season record. What did not happen though was for PSU to dominate the Big Ten over extended periods of time as some had predicted. Even Iowa has had success against some very good PSU teams and holds a slight margin in wins versus losses since the Lions have been in the league.

Same thing holds for OU. They are an exceptional program with rich tradition and success. But, while that is all true, the Big Ten as a whole and Iowa as a member institution does not see OU as some impenetrable force. Similar to Penn State and even more recently, Nebraska, they are who they are and the Big Ten would welcome the challenge to compete as they would with any other quality opponent.

Again, this is not about isu. You can hope, wish and dream all you care to, but isu right now has very little to offer as a football program. That, above anything else athletically will drive what happens to or for isu. Suffice it to say, there are no more rungs down the football ladder for isu in the realm of major college football. You (they) are at the end of the proverbial rope.

Reactions: Herkuleez
OU is a brand name in college athletics - more specifically, in collegiate football. Has nothing at all to do with isu. OU strengthens the overall presence of the already powerful Big Ten as their addition would to the Pac 12 and even the SEC.

Wrestling is a poor analogy at best. There is a saying in the Iowa room that 'steel sharpens steel.' Iowa wrestling was not always the standard bearer in terms of national championships, but the Hawks never shied away from competing with and to be the best. In large part, the Big Ten has Iowa to thank for the current strength of teams such as Penn State, Ohio State and Minnesota among others. Sanderson left isu for a whole different set of reasons other than to be better than Iowa. He had experienced isu from the perspective of a world class athlete. Then he got to see what it was like on the other side of the coin, so to speak and he did not particularly care for how the isu administrated athletically. The Penn State opportunity was available and it was a very easy decision for him to make at that time. But, that does not deter Iowa in the least from striving and preparing each and every day to regain the top rung in wrestling.

A much better comparison would be Penn State football. When PSU joined the Big Ten in the early 90's, the Nittany Lions has developed national recognition of their football program. Many then said that they likely would be the team to supplant Ohio State and/or Michigan at the top of the conference. In 1994, PSU did achieve supremacy of sorts with a perfect conference and season record. What did not happen though was for PSU to dominate the Big Ten over extended periods of time as some had predicted. Even Iowa has had success against some very good PSU teams and holds a slight margin in wins versus losses since the Lions have been in the league.

Same thing holds for OU. They are an exceptional program with rich tradition and success. But, while that is all true, the Big Ten as a whole and Iowa as a member institution does not see OU as some impenetrable force. Similar to Penn State and even more recently, Nebraska, they are who they are and the Big Ten would welcome the challenge to compete as they would with any other quality opponent.

Again, this is not about isu. You can hope, wish and dream all you care to, but isu right now has very little to offer as a football program. That, above anything else athletically will drive what happens to or for isu. Suffice it to say, there are no more rungs down the football ladder for isu in the realm of major college football. You (they) are at the end of the proverbial rope.
Does it bother you that your beloved (at the moment) coach is 8-9 against this pathetic football program you describe? I would think that would be somewhat disturbing. After 17 games you're out of that "small sample size" territory.

Does it bother you that your beloved (at the moment) coach is 8-9 against this pathetic football program you describe? I would think that would be somewhat disturbing. After 17 games you're out of that "small sample size" territory.

No.

Reactions: And1Hawk

Does it bother isu grad that isu is a second thought at best both in Iowa and nationally?

The bottom line remains the same Iowa will always be focused on what we were focused on this year. Compete for the Big 10 title and then beyond.

isu hasn't competed for a football conference title in over 100 years and is the ONLY school in the country that can say that. So what isu grads are left with is simply comparing how they do in certain and select time frames with Big Bro who has and will continue to accomplish so much more.

Ouch, being owned must really suck. Enjoy the MAC isu grad.

Good then worry about isu ending the 105 year streak before throwing rocks at Iowa.
I'm not going to worry about something I can't control. I didn't throw any rocks just stated a simple fact and asked a question while throwing in a simple personal opinion.

Sure Oklahoma is a name brand and their presence in any conference would be a plus, but you avoided my question. How does it help Iowa? Great for the conference, without a doubt, but explain to me how it help Iowa or its fans?

Wrestling is the perfect analogy, Iowa was in the midst of winning three national titles in a row, Penn State hired Sanderson away from ISU, and all of a sudden Penn State wins its first national title in wrestling ever, and then follows that up with three more. Iowa standing in the small world of wrestling dropped, but no, it did not hurt Iowa wrestling. Who are you trying to convince, because no one is buying it.

Yes, the talk is about Oklahoma, that also effects Iowa State, if they would leave the conference, then there is no guarantee the conference would still be intact, which would greatly effect ISU. You know that as well as anyone, it would also effect Iowa if they would be added to the Big 10.

The best situation of ISU is to the Big 12 intact, if not, then I really hope that Oklahoma and Kansas go to the big 10. By splitting those to schools from their sister state schools, it would insure that ISU would end up in the ACC or Pac 12. Neither of those conferences will take Okl. State or K-state, because of the poor academic standing. They will take ISU ,an AAU school with a terrible football team.

One more thing, you referenced a problem between Sanderson and ISU, care to show me a link that shows that? I know, go find it you will say, its not there. Both Pollard and Sanderson said there was no ill feeling between them, Sanderson wanted a greater effort in terms of money placed into wrestling, and Pollard told him that ISU did not have the funds for that type of commitment. So Sanderson went to Penn State, immediately became the highest paid wrestling coach in the country and they built him a world class wrestling room, located in one of the few hot beds states of wrestling. I do not blame him a bit for taking the job, just stop implying he left ISU because of a made up feud with Pollard.

Last edited:
Should we try to get rid of OSU and MI/MSU? Might as well get rid of Wis/neb while we're at it! Sound like you'd prefer IOWA go to the MAC, since it would be "easier".
Nothing wrong with competition. As a sports spectator I'd much rather have added an OU caliber in the B1G than rutgers....(maybe not OU as they sound like some spoiled brats)

I'm not going to worry about something I can't control. I didn't throw any rocks just stated a simple fact and asked a question while throwing in a simple personal opinion.

and I am stating a simple fact that isu grads only want to talk about certain and select time frames and compare everything to Big Bro Iowa.

KF has 17 years at Iowa think about that. Usually that is covered by 4-5 coaches at isu. Why because isu always sucks? They may have one or two years of 6-7 wins and wet themselves when they do, which of course are down years by Iowa's standard but hey it is isu.

I am sure isu grad will tell us all how it really is though.

Should we try to get rid of OSU and MI/MSU? Might as well get rid of Wis/neb while we're at it! Sound like you'd prefer IOWA go to the MAC, since it would be "easier".
Nothing wrong with competition. As a sports spectator I'd much rather have added an OU caliber in the B1G than rutgers....(maybe not OU as they sound like some spoiled brats)

No one is saying get rid of those schools, but how does adding Oklahoma help Iowa? Nebraska has been on a down streak for 15 years, and Iowa is 2-3 against them since they joined the conference. Do you think that Iowa will be beating a better Oklahoma squad year after year. Like I said, its great for the big 10, but hurts Iowa, if I was an Iowa fan, that is what I would worry about.

No one is saying get rid of those schools, but how does adding Oklahoma help Iowa? Nebraska has been on a down streak for 15 years, and Iowa is 2-3 against them since they joined the conference. Do you think that Iowa will be beating a better Oklahoma squad year after year. Like I said, its great for the big 10, but hurts Iowa, if I was an Iowa fan, that is what I would worry about.

There was nothing to fear from OU this year. isu maybe but not Iowa. The same thing was said by skirt fans and Penn State fans when they entered the Big Ten. Still waiting for either of them to dominate. What makes you think OU would be any different?

There was nothing to fear from OU this year. isu maybe but not Iowa. The same thing was said by skirt fans and Penn State fans when they entered the Big Ten. Still waiting for either of them to dominate. What makes you think OU would be any different?

The same OU squad that was one of the final four teams, yes they lost, but they were ahead at half time. How did MSU do, they were shut out, remember.

The same OU squad that was one of the final four teams, yes they lost, but they were ahead at half time. How did MSU do, they were shut out, remember.

The point remains what is different about OU that says they would face a fate any different than PSU or Nebraska?

The point remains what is different about OU that says they would face a fate any different than PSU or Nebraska?

Because the are Oklahoma, this is not a average Nebraska team, this would not be a Penn State coming into a conference for the first time. Its Oklahoma, the last time they played Iowa a few years ago, they were beat up, went through the motions and the game was never in doubt.

Because the are Oklahoma, this is not a average Nebraska team, this would not be a Penn State coming into a conference for the first time. Its Oklahoma, the last time they played Iowa a few years ago, they were beat up, went through the motions and the game was never in doubt.

OU is no different today than PSU and Nebraska were when they came into the Big Ten. In fact PSU was better than OU.

Leave it to isu grad to be unable to grasp basic facts. Must be that education you got in Lames.

Can we get more LBS? Why is it isu grad must compare everything to Iowa?

OU is no different today than PSU and Nebraska were when they came into the Big Ten. In fact PSU was better than OU.

Leave it to isu grad to be unable to grasp basic facts. Must be that education you got in Lames.

Can we get more LBS? Why is it isu grad must compare everything to Iowa?

Sorry, I did not realize that both of those schools was a top four ranked team going into the last poll. Stop the crap Jeff, you know better than that, stay on task. Neither of those teams are Oklahoma, and its foolish by you to say they were. The year before they joined the big 10 penn state was 7-5, keep believing the crap you throw out there. The first seven years Penn State was in the big 10 their win totals were 10, 12, 9, 11, 9, 9, 10. So much for them falling apart after they got into the big 10.

Last edited:
Sorry, I did not realize that both of those schools was a top four ranked team going into the last poll. Stop the crap Jeff, you know better than that, stay on task. Neither of those teams are Oklahoma, and its foolish by you to say they were. The year before they joined the big 10 penn state was 7-5, keep believing the crap you throw out there.

More LBS please. How many classes must you take in LBS to graduate from isu? Must be several as all isu grads are deeply infected with it.

More LBS please. How many classes must you take in LBS to graduate from isu? Must be several as all isu grads are deeply infected with it.

The smack talk Jeff will not work this time, stay on the subject, what is next, the old ISU has not won a conference title in 100 years? You said that Oklahoma was not any better than Penn State or Nebraska before joining the conference, you are wrong, just admit it and go to bed.

The smack talk Jeff will not work this time, stay on the subject, what is next, the old ISU has not won a conference title in 100 years? You said that Oklahoma was not any better than Penn State or Nebraska before joining the conference, you are wrong, just admit it and go to bed.

More LBS please. OU isn't any better than PSU or Nebraska was when they joined. Leave it to isu grad to be unable to what a good football team and program is.

isu grads are awesome. The more they post the more they reinforce isu stereotypes.

What is next isu got screwed by the refs again? What is the RPI for the refs. We all know isu never loses a game unless it is to the refs.

Prove me right isu grad or got to bed I win either way.

More LBS please. OU isn't any better than PSU or Nebraska was when they joined. Leave it to isu grad to be unable to what a good football team and program is.

If that is all you have then I am going to bed, its a bitch when you have lost, just admit it and give it up. Or should I be like you and say that "I only respond when ISU fans say stupid things, and when they stop, I will stop." If you want to compare Nebraska or Penn State football to when they joined the big 10 to the current Oklahoma team go ahead, but I must warn you, you are wrong, but you are use to that, aren't you now Jeff. Bring out the little brother act, that's a classic, try and change the subject, because I have lost the argument, another example of clueless Jeff or HerkyFan, 100 years and counting or whatever you are calling yourself this month.

Last edited:
isu grad should know something about losing, but only because the refs screwed the clowns right?

Come on isu grad give us some more LBS. You are infected just let it out, you know you want to.

isu grad should know something about losing, but only because the refs screwed the clowns right?

Come on isu grad give us some more LBS. You are infected just let it out, you know you want to.

Keep trying clueless Jeff, are you now going to bring out the arrest record at ISU or the KF has finished in the top 10 four times? See, I have watched your games for years, I know your next move before you do. Clueless Jeff playbook, change the topic when all is lost, call out someone as an poor ISU fan. Come on Clueless, you can dig deeper than that.

Keep trying clueless Jeff, are you now going to bring out the arrest record at ISU or the KF has finished in the top 10 four times? See, I have watched your games for years, I know your next move before you do. Clueless Jeff playbook, change the topic when all is lost, call out someone as an poor ISU fan. Come on Clueless, you can dig deeper than that.

There it is good job isu grad. Let it out.

Say while we are talking clueless do tell us when OU actually is joining the Big Ten. Maybe a press release or something other than isu grad fantasy. Then we will be able to talk about how awesome of a season they had prior to joining.

Link?

isu grad is losing it over something that hasn't even occurred. Is this taught in the same class at isu as LBS or is this some other required track at isu?

I am just so thankful that there are no such things as isu fans but only isu grads. This way when they post it is a direct reflection on their isu education.

More please.

There it is good job isu grad. Let it out.

Say while we are talking clueless do tell us when OU actually is joining the Big Ten. Maybe a press release or something other than isu grad fantasy. Then we will be able to talk about how awesome of a season they had prior to joining.

Link?

Clueless Jeff, if you read back through this thread, you will see that I have said they are not going to join the big 10. I know, facts are hard for you to deal with at times. But speaking of clueless like you were, its the perfect name for you Jeff. My time is done here for tonight, but Jeff, do not worry, I will be back in the future. Oh, Jeff, for your enjoyment, I never said I was an ISU grad, my kids are, but I am not. I am just a fan and season ticket holder of many years for football. Again, just something else you have gotten wrong.

Clueless Jeff, if you read back through this thread, you will see that I have said they are not going to join the big 10. I know, facts are hard for you to deal with at times. But speaking of clueless like you were, its the perfect name for you Jeff. My time is done here for tonight, but Jeff, do not worry, I will be back in the future. Oh, Jeff, for your enjoyment, I never said I was an ISU grad, my kids are, but I am not. I am just a fan and season ticket holder of many years for football. Again, just something else you have gotten wrong.

Dick or will you insist on being called Richard? There is no such thing as an isu fan. isu grads here tell us so. Same thing on cry-clown fanatic. Your LBS is just too spot on not to be an isu grad.

More please.

Last edited:

Because they (Nebraska) were stripped of their AAU status shortly after admission to the B1G. The B1G places a higher value on academics than any other conference. That is why I don't think OU gets an invite but maybe the B1G would look past OU's less than stellar academics in order to add one of college football's true blue blood programs. Nebraska is not a true blue blood program
Being a major research university is a critical priority of the Big 10 Universities, and all members were among the 62 major research universities in the nation. No one can say for certain but without it it is unlikely but not certain that the BT presidents would have acted affirmatively in regard to Nebbie.. One thing is undeniable: they acted with undue haste (the last prior occasion of extending membership, too Penn State, was a three year process, with the BT requiring numerous improvements and costly upgrades. One surmise is hard to doubt: the BT brought Nebbie into the club expecting Nebbie to be the principal beneficiary of financier Warren Buffet's estate: obvious that they were not anticipating his entry into a massive long term philanthropic partnership with Bill & Melissa Gates, to help each other get rid of 80% of their wealth. Still, there is plenty left for Buffet to give, as he always has, generously to UNL (although UNO & the UN medical center in Omaha...not to overlook the fact that Omaha has the nation's highest concentration of millionaires, many of them large donors to Nebbie. Like Penn State, Nebbie has a mandate from the BT to upgrade programs & facilities, and to regain its AAU status...and will have ample financial resources to do so.

Virtually all of these many posts indicate almost no grasp of the place of athletics in American universities. Most college administrators feel about athletics as they would a lingering disease, unable to figure out how to get our from under without losing political & alumni support. Almost all (90%+) lose money. Add headaches instead of dollars. And the very serious health risks of football require more than aspirin to remedy. Fans rarely are aware of the budget impact: even though BT athletic departments average almost $100 million, at NOT ONE of the BT schools does the athletic budget amount to even close to 10% of the overall budget. A hand full of doctors at UIHC bring in more than twice the revenue from athletics.

Few Hawkeye fans know that the U of TX sought BT membership thirty years ago, and the BT was very eager; however the TX Regents, high state officials with TX A&M ties, and the legislature's leaders refused to allow TX to move from the SW Conference to the BT unless TX A&M was also offered membership. The BT wanted no part of TX A&M. Penn State acted quickly to seek to replace UTA, and the opportunity to expand into an industrial Eastern state & the Pennsylvania state budget to finance BT research programs was too good to pass up.

When the U of Iowa passed over Vice Prez Wally Loh in blundering to choose Sally Mason, the U of Maryland immediately jumped at the miracle chance to hire Loh. Loh, who was a major figure in the BT's academic & research side, the Committee on Institutional Cooperation, understood the attractiveness to the BT of adding presence in the nation's capital (the U of MD) and its major financial-entertainment-communications-corporate-philantropic center in NYC (Rutgers). The financial woes of Maryland & the inauspicious sports heritage of Rutgers were no problem: the BT wealth from national television contracts & bowl games would solve those minor problems ins time.

Is there any chance of BT expansion? Yes, but not because of the BT; rather to further the research & academic goals of the Committee on Institutional Cooperation. At the top of the wish list are two schools that are the antithesis of big-time athletics: Johns Hopkins & Washington U of St Louis (their merits: they outdistance all other universities & research centers when it comes to receiving contributions & federal grants & contracts). The BT may lust after them but neither has any apparent reciprocal interest. The BT may eventually pursue the U of Virginia & possibly Pitt for essentially the same reason: more & more access to private philantrophy & government funds.

The most practical expansion would be to return attention to the U of TX as a potential member. There is indisputable mutual interest: UTA has immense wealth & resources, as well as a fine academic reputation & top faculty; the BT would bring UTA vastly more benefits than the Big 12, in which it is the only true major player, only Iowa State even seriously also in the game.

But the U of TX-BT marriage isn't going to happen any time soon. The problem is politics. The state's politics have changed over the past 50 years, oil men increasing their control & banking is the new 2000 pound gorilla. It isn't a matter of partisan politics, though that sets the parameters. The BT presidents, administrators, boards, faculties see the dominant attitudes in TX (and Oklahoma, which has NO chance of BT membership) as deeply hostile to science, religious tolerance, multiculturalism, high priorities on educational spending, internationalism, and a host of other values and communal interests that prevail in university life. There are mutual hostilities and distrust that did not have such importance when the prior discussions took place.

Last edited:
Reactions: whatsup13579er
Dick or will you insist on being called Richard? There is no such thing as an isu fan. isu grads here tell us so. Same thing on cry-clown fanatic. Your LBS is just too spot on not to be an isu grad.

More please.

Wrong again Clueless Jeff, but keep trying, you may get it right one day. I know many ISU fans that are not graduates of the university, just like I do with Iowa. So according to you, if one person states it, it must be true? Clueless Jeff, the whole point of the thread was how the big 10 was going to waltzes in and pluck Oklahoma and Kansas from the big 12, thereby causing ISU to go to the MAC. I have stated over and over why its unlikely to happen, and ask if they did, how would that help Iowa. Not one Iowa fan here will explain that one simple question, how does bringing in Oklahoma help Iowa? The fact is, it will not but it may destroy ISU in athletics and a lot of Iowa fans are willing to take one if allows the other. ISU will be fine, as I have stated many times, they are an AAU school, and will find a place in the ACC or PAC 10.

Wrong again Clueless Jeff, but keep trying, you may get it right one day. I know many ISU fans that are not graduates of the university, just like I do with Iowa. So according to you, if one person states it, it must be true? Clueless Jeff, the whole point of the thread was how the big 10 was going to waltzes in and pluck Oklahoma and Kansas from the big 12, thereby causing ISU to go to the MAC. I have stated over and over why its unlikely to happen, and ask if they did, how would that help Iowa. Not one Iowa fan here will explain that one simple question, how does bringing in Oklahoma help Iowa? The fact is, it will not but it may destroy ISU in athletics and a lot of Iowa fans are willing to take one if allows the other. ISU will be fine, as I have stated many times, they are an AAU school, and will find a place in the ACC or PAC 10.

Because isu grad says so.

OU joining the Big Ten would be great for Iowa. We would receive additional financial resources which would be good for every conference member. A side benefit would be would be able to say the Big 12 was as over rated in football and basketball as we have been saying when they struggle just as PSU and Nebraska did when they entered the league.

Being a major research university is a critical priority of the Big 10 Universities, and all members were among the 62 major research universities in the nation. No one can say for certain but without it it is unlikely but not certain that the BT presidents would have acted affirmatively in regard to Nebbie.. One thing is undeniable: they acted with undue haste (the last prior occasion of extending membership, too Penn State, was a three year process, with the BT requiring numerous improvements and costly upgrades. One surmise is hard to doubt: the BT brought Nebbie into the club expecting Nebbie to be the principal beneficiary of financier Warren Buffet's estate: obvious that they were not anticipating his entry into a massive long term philanthropic partnership with Bill & Melissa Gates, to help each other get rid of 80% of their wealth. Still, there is plenty left for Buffet to give, as he always has, generously to UNL (although UNO & the UN medical center in Omaha...not to overlook the fact that Omaha has the nation's highest concentration of millionaires, many of them large donors to Nebbie. Like Penn State, Nebbie has a mandate from the BT to upgrade programs & facilities, and to regain its AAU status...and will have ample financial resources to do so.

Virtually all of these many posts indicate almost no grasp of the place of athletics in American universities. Most college administrators feel about athletics as they would a lingering disease, unable to figure out how to get our from under without losing political & alumni support. Almost all (90%+) lose money. Add headaches instead of dollars. And the very serious health risks of football require more than aspirin to remedy. Fans rarely are aware of the budget impact: even though BT athletic departments average almost $100 million, at NOT ONE of the BT schools does the athletic budget amount to even close to 10% of the overall budget. A hand full of doctors at UIHC bring in more than twice the revenue from athletics.

Few Hawkeye fans know that the U of TX sought BT membership thirty years ago, and the BT was very eager; however the TX Regents, high state officials with TX A&M ties, and the legislature's leaders refused to allow TX to move from the SW Conference to the BT unless TX A&M was also offered membership. The BT wanted no part of TX A&M. Penn State acted quickly to seek to replace UTA, and the opportunity to expand into an industrial Eastern state & the Pennsylvania state budget to finance BT research programs was too good to pass up.

When the U of Iowa passed over Vice Prez Wally Loh in blundering to choose Sally Mason, the U of Maryland immediately jumped at the miracle chance to hire Loh. Loh, who was a major figure in the BT's academic & research side, the Committee on Institutional Cooperation, understood the attractiveness to the BT of adding presence in the nation's capital (the U of MD) and its major financial-entertainment-communications-corporate-philantropic center in NYC (Rutgers). The financial woes of Maryland & the inauspicious sports heritage of Rutgers were no problem: the BT wealth from national television contracts & bowl games would solve those minor problems ins time.

Is there any chance of BT expansion? Yes, but not because of the BT; rather to further the research & academic goals of the Committee on Institutional Cooperation. At the top of the wish list are two schools that are the antithesis of big-time athletics: Johns Hopkins & Washington U of St Louis (their merits: they outdistance all other universities & research centers when it comes to receiving contributions & federal grants & contracts). The BT may lust after them but neither has any apparent reciprocal interest. The BT may eventually pursue the U of Virginia & possibly Pitt for essentially the same reason: more & more access to private philantrophy & government funds.

The most practical expansion would be to return attention to the U of TX as a potential member. There is indisputable mutual interest: UTA has immense wealth & resources, as well as a fine academic reputation & top faculty; the BT would bring UTA vastly more benefits than the Big 12, in which it is the only true major player, only Iowa State even seriously also in the game.

But the U of TX-BT marriage isn't going to happen any time soon. The problem is politics. The state's politics have changed over the past 50 years, oil men increasing their control & banking is the new 2000 pound gorilla. It isn't a matter of partisan politics, though that sets the parameters. The BT presidents, administrators, boards, faculties see the dominant attitudes in TX (and Oklahoma, which has NO chance of BT membership) as deeply hostile to science, religious tolerance, multiculturalism, high priorities on educational spending, internationalism, and a host of other values and communal interests that prevail in university life. There are mutual hostilities and distrust that did not have such importance when the prior discussions took place.
Kind of skimmed over your paragraphs but saying Nebraska was added in haste is kind of right. If I remember Missouri was the school thought to be coming to the Big 10. Missouri had been talking to the Big 10 for a couple of yrs. mainly because they had gotten screwed in a couple of Bowl games where they got passed over for some other Big 12 teams. Then out of the blue Nebraska decided they wanted to come. With the Husker traditions and I'm sure big money, they pushed Missouri out. So adding a Big 12 team was in the works but got a little side tracked when Nebraska stepped in.

Hey Dick or Richard if you insist, start by setting isu grads straight on the thread I am linking below and then you can go about telling isu grads on cry-clown fanatic how it really is.

Set them all straight isu grad. Let us know when you have this fixed.

Good luck.

https://iowa.forums.rivals.com/thre...-fans-that-some-iowa-fans-arent-alumni.88548/

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT