ADVERTISEMENT

Next Season's Lineup? Predictions/Thoughts?

Exactly, stars win titles. Look at Nebraska. Have had some really solids lineups, very good dual teams but not close to a title. Missouri would be another example to date. You need at least 4 guys scoring 20 plus points to even be in the discussion and another 40-50 points out of the rest. Guys like Brands and Murin need to take the next step. Even if you had all 10 guys score low to mid AA 10 points it's still not enough.
Brands and Murin have no top game and Murin is Kaleb Young II with less AA finishes. He's not gonna be that guy I'm afraid at this stage of the game. Brands has a lot more ability from his feet, but will he use it consistently? That's his best avenue to bonus points IMO.

These Tigers stripes are pretty well set I believe. Not many make that big leap from grinder to juggernaut.

Brands and Murin have no top game and Murin is Kaleb Young II with less AA finishes. He's not gonna be that guy I'm afraid at this stage of the game. Brands has a lot more ability from his feet, but will he use it consistently? That's his best avenue to bonus points IMO.

These Tigers stripes are pretty well set I believe. Not many make that big leap from grinder to juggernaut.
Murin has had a very similar career to Lugo. Constantly getting better. He was an OT loss away from being an all american last year when he had no business even being on the mat in his condition. Just based on the eye test, I see him finishing his career the next two seasons similarly to how Lugo did (minus the cancelled NCAA tournament).

Potential (relax, potential doesn't mean sh**, this is a prediction thread):
Kennedy - Warner - Cassioppi: 60ish
Ayala - Murin: 30ish
Schriever - Brands - Assad: 20ish
141;157: 4ish
114ish points.
Considering we'll be losing over 100 returning points between Lee, DeSanto, Eierman, Young, Marinelli, and Kemerer, that'd be a pretty good year. PSU will have plenty of question marks in the first half of their lineup next year as well with RBY and Lee leaving.

Murin has had a very similar career to Lugo. Constantly getting better. He was an OT loss away from being an all american last year when he had no business even being on the mat in his condition. Just based on the eye test, I see him finishing his career the next two seasons similarly to how Lugo did (minus the cancelled NCAA tournament).

114ish points.
Considering we'll be losing over 100 returning points between Lee, DeSanto, Eierman, Young, Marinelli, and Kemerer, that'd be a pretty good year. PSU will have plenty of question marks in the first half of their lineup next year as well with RBY and Lee leaving.
Murin finishing like Lugo would be fine by me so I hope you're right. I'm definitely not seeing it, but I've been wrong before, I think........😏

125: Lee
133: Schriever
141: Henson
149: Murin
157: Reyna
165: Kennedy
174: Brands
184: Assad
197: Warner
285: Cassioppi

Good call on Lee.

Kem will get his 17th Medical redshirt as well?

we used to do this all the time during the title drought era. the reality is that finding aa's is really hard and it's far more likely that none of these guys come close, especially in that timeframe. rathjen is probably the best bet based on pedigree. i don't love that none of them are actually wrestling at 157 right now. there is nobody on this roster at 157 currently that shouldn't be recruited over if the opportunity arises until proven otherwise.

murin and brands were very solid, tough guys who were ranked all last year. they wrestled to seed and contributed a combined 3 points (not counting murin's headgear spike). top end talent wins teams titles, not solid guys who develop into mid-ranked starters. the 20th best guy at a weight scores roughly the same as the 100th...zero.
I understand your point and if you are talking about all 10 classes I would agree 100% ,but having a top 10 prospect at every weight is extremely tough given the 9.9 rules so talent has to be developed also.
I am not saying you don’t go after a guy like Monday if he decides he is leaving Princeton like Brucki did for his last year of eligibility and I’m also not saying putting more effort into the blue chip top 10p4p guys.

We do things the right way and I’m proud to say if there is a top 5 program that can make that claim we are it, but the right way now more than ever has money behind recruiting with the new NIL rules, look at what Ohio st just pulled off.

We need the new facility, we need a better HWC and we need more donor money to stay at the top! All of things are happening and gaining speed, but more work and commitment is needed. We have to do our part and with support and donations, the coaches and wrestlers have to do their part and work and win.

Reactions: Mendoza77

i agree with your conclusion, but you could have said the exact same thing about lugo going into that last year too. he had no top game, was a reluctant attacker, and struggled to finish against good scramblers. but was also always in position and kept himself in matches. the main difference is that lugo got to wrestle 20 seed tommy thorn in the r12 instead of potential 4x aa's chad red and jaden abas.

however, lugo is definitely the exception. very few guys make a huge jump this far into their careers.

i agree with your conclusion, but you could have said the exact same thing about lugo going into that last year too. he had no top game, was a reluctant attacker, and struggled to finish against good scramblers. but was also always in position and kept himself in matches. the main difference is that lugo got to wrestle 20 seed tommy thorn in the r12 instead of potential 4x aa's chad red and jaden abas.

however, lugo is definitely the exception. very few guys make a huge jump this far into their careers.
I guess the real question is does Murin's Dad have the pipes that Lugo's Dad does? If so, I'm on board he's the next Lugo............😏

Need to bring in a transfer at 157 for sure. Maybe even a one year transfer for 141. Why wouldn’t we?
We should probably let the year play out before we get real concerned about transfers (and yes that includes me). 157 does look a bit iffy because we don't have anybody there behind Young that fits the weight and has the credentials currently, so that makes sense as of today if nobody "bulks up". Might Riggins be that guy as a true freshman? IDK We could do worse I suppose.

Wyatt Henson has a lot of opportunities this year in Opens and what not to prove if he's gonna be ready to roll next year. The Coaches will know and even us dummies might have a pretty good idea by the end of the year. He's got some pretty fair credentials and pedigree, I think he'll be ready to go. Don't know enough about Leif Schroeder to know where he stands (4x State Champ).

There aren't many Spencer Lee's out there, and there are some of these guys that come to Iowa who think they have a legitimate shot and want a shot at being 4x All-Americans, if they look the part early give them a chance and let the chips fall where they may.

The competition is stiff, but they have issues too, so the chess match continues.......

114ish points.
Would this be enough to win next year? IF we were able to bring in a transfer at 157 who added 10, would 124ish win it? I believe iF we could get a hammer who added 20. 134ish wins it.

• Haha
Reactions: cheddarwurst69
Would this be enough to win next year? IF we were able to bring in a transfer at 157 who added 10, would 124ish win it? I believe iF we could get a hammer who added 20. 134ish wins it.
well of course 134 could win it but that prediction is pretty rosey.

averaging about a champion’s finish for kennedy, cass, and warner.

top 3 for ayala and murin

and aa’s for for schriever, brands and assad.

and cass is the only guy on the list who has a strong bonus point history.

either they don’t quite understand tournament scoring or they’re predicting most of these guys to make a big jump next year.

Reactions: cheddarwurst69
well of course 134 could win it but that prediction is pretty rosey.

averaging about a champion’s finish for kennedy, cass, and warner.

top 3 for ayala and murin

and aa’s for for schriever, brands and assad.

and cass is the only guy on the list who has a strong bonus point history.

either they don’t quite understand tournament scoring or they’re predicting most of these guys to make a big jump next year.
Yea I get it, was thinking a lot of teams will lose a lot of wrestlers because of the extra year same as we are. Might not be a clear favorite, or a team that is loaded with potential which seems to be the case this year.

Cass we know will be in the title hunt. i believe Kennedy steps right in and will also be a high AA or even a champion, Warner just gives me a headache but always gets to the podium. Ayala Will jump levels and be in the mix in my opinion.

Murin is very solid as we all know, Not sure he has the top tier type of talent to win it but..... Bands should be an AA, Assad has me worried, Schrieve looks tough! Leaves us with 141 henson to do work and 157???

Murin and Warner are seniors this year. They'll have the option to come back next year, but you never know. I hope they stay!

125-Ayala/Ybarra: Ybarra has to find some offense to be able to compete at this level. Ayala has it in spades.
133-Henson/Schriever-For both weights, it depends on how they shake out. Both guys are real solid low AA/RD of 12 threats
141-Henson/Schriever-See 133
149-Murin: His last year, should be a mid tier AA
157-Of all the weights, this one is a hole right now
165-Kennedy: Perhaps one of the toughest weight classes but Kennedy will immediately be a contender. Scores points in bunches...you' ll like him.
174-Nelson Brands
184-Assad/Wilson
197-Warner: Last year
HWY-Cass

It looks like we have a shot at 4 solid AA threats. That is our floor. It is really dependent on how 125-141 shake out on whether will be a solid top 5 or on the bubble. Outside of Kennedy and Cass, we don't have proven bonus point threats. Henson, Schriever and Ayala sure look the part but we'll see.
Who will be tough next year? Likely Cornell, ASU and PSU and Oklahoma State

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT