ADVERTISEMENT

Nice article in Gazette

Originally posted by mstp1992:
I hope Lone Clone appreciates the article.

Dotty Cummins
Thanks. I would have missed that, since I had the paper suspended when we left on vacation.

Diane does a really, really good job with that Sunday feature. It's "must" reading for anyone with the slightest interest in Cedar Rapids area history. She's been with the paper for a long, long time. One of her first jobs was a proofreader, back when newspapers had proofreaders.

Incidentally, she made news herself about 20 years ago. Some guy on the East coast needed a kidney to save his life, and somebody in Cedar Rapids agreed to donate it, but then demanded an outrageous sum of money. Diane thought that reflected poorly on the community, so she donated one of her kidneys to the guy. Total stranger.

My in-laws became friends with Tait and Dotty through their son "Charlie" (my sister-in-law has similar disabilities like him). Tait passed away before I had a chance to meet him, but I got to know Dotty and Charlie quite well. Charlie was always with her, and she was a saint with him.

I love the history of Cedar Rapids-Iowa City articles Diane Langston writes.

My in-laws became friends with Tait and Dotty through their son "Charlie" (my sister-in-law has similar disabilities like him). Tait passed away before I had a chance to meet him, but I got to know Dotty and Charlie quite well. Charlie was always with her, and she was a saint with him.

Was that not his real name?

Originally posted by Jackie Treehorn:

Was that not his real name?
Honestly don't know how the quotes got around Charlie's name. Wasn't planned on my part. Charlie is as real as they get.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT