ADVERTISEMENT

Nick Suriano eligible Immediately to wrestle at Rutgers

Then why would PSU not support the waiver or meet to resolve this amicably? If there are no sour grapes or dirt and there is a compelling reason for the conference to grant the waiver then PSU should have supported it.
I do not think PSU has anything to say with the waiver being released. If I remember, they gave the release and said they have nothing to do with the Big 10's rules. I am guessing they were trying to deflect some flack. Also, who says the reason the Big The granted the waiver was not because PSU said "sure go ahead and grant it". We do not know what happened behind closed doors. As I said before, I don't have any facts and I am not going to trash someone just because I do not like them. There have been a lot of transfers this year. Kids move on for reasons that we don't know and it does not always mean someone was an a$$hole to them.

I do not think PSU has anything to say with the waiver being released. If I remember, they gave the release and said they have nothing to do with the Big 10's rules. I am guessing they were trying to deflect some flack. Also, who says the reason the Big The granted the waiver was not because PSU said "sure go ahead and grant it". We do not know what happened behind closed doors. As I said before, I don't have any facts and I am not going to trash someone just because I do not like them. There have been a lot of transfers this year. Kids move on for reasons that we don't know and it does not always mean someone was an a$$hole to them.

Pretty sure that your questions are answered in the article linked by the OP. It states that PSU granted the release but didn't try to influence the B1G to grant the waiver.

Just my opinion, but the FS rules did not allow for Metcalf to gain the upper hand via conditioning like he could in folk. He beat some VERY salty dudes in folk...not the least of which was Jordan Burroughs. While very, very good in FS, he could not reach the highest level in the world despite several attempts.

I think too it was more a matter of style not suiting his "game" just right.

Agreed, and I think Metcalf can beat anyone in a 6hr match either style.

Pretty sure that your questions are answered in the article linked by the OP. It states that PSU granted the release but didn't try to influence the B1G to grant the waiver.
Did they try to influence the BIG to not grant the waiver? No one knows. If I were PSU I would have granted the waiver and then said, "you are on your own to get a release. We have done our part". It sounds like that is what PSU did.

I am done with this subject. I still do not know anything and I am defending someone who I don't even know in a situation in which I have no first hand knowledge.

Did they try to influence the BIG to not grant the waiver? No one knows. If I were PSU I would have granted the waiver and then said, "you are on your own to get a release. We have done our part". It sounds like that is what PSU did.

I am done with this subject. I still do not know anything and I am defending someone who I don't even know in a situation in which I have no first hand knowledge.

I think you are confused. PSU can't grant a waiver of a B1G conference rule. They can give a release from their scholarship, and did. That may have been what you meant and if so, we are essentially in agreement.

I think you are confused. PSU can't grant a waiver of a B1G conference rule. They can give a release from their scholarship, and did. That may have been what you meant and if so, we are essentially in agreement.
It is always great to be in agreement with you spooner. :) It is nice to be in agreement with anyone actually. I am still waiting for that day to come when I agree with my wife in the first place instead of having to wait until she helps me see the error of my ways and I change my opinion.

Amazing how Suriano went to mud over at BWI. Not even a good wrestler and will have a difficult time winning one championship. I get being mad but facts are facts...Suriano walked out of high school into a top 3 finish had he not got injured. This without many decent workout partners. Also, he hasn't said anything public against PSU. But damn if they aren't taking it to him.

Amazing how Suriano went to mud over at BWI. Not even a good wrestler and will have a difficult time winning one championship. I get being mad but facts are facts...Suriano walked out of high school into a top 3 finish had he not got injured. This without many decent workout partners. Also, he hasn't said anything public against PSU. But damn if they aren't taking it to him.
It amazes me at the things people will say against a kid. Can you imagine how dangerous some of these people would be if they had a single fact to substantiate any of their claims?

This would be the instance with every other fan base. The issue is that many on their board have trouble coming to the conclusion that they're just like every other fan base. Oh well, many of them will continue to think that they're better than us and everyone else, regardless.

Didn't see anyone say Suriano was "not even a good wrestler" Chief. I think we all know that would be a rather foolish statement. Kid is a beast. I understand that this is an Iowa board, and you're trying to "rally the troops", but c'mon. Tough loss for PSU, no doubt.

Reactions: Creek Side
Didn't see anyone say Suriano was "not even a good wrestler" Chief. I think we all know that would be a rather foolish statement. Kid is a beast. I understand that this is an Iowa board, and you're trying to "rally the troops", but c'mon. Tough loss for PSU, no doubt.

Oh...ok. He went from yearly champ to having a tough time winning at all. Our old buddy JTown gave the over/under at one title. Before this business started, im thinking it would have been a bit different. Also, the questioning of his character...jeez. Not a good look from some turds on your board.

If a guy of Surianos caliber left Iowa, say a Spencer Lee, I'd really have to look inward. It wasn't homesickness...something else.

Oh...ok. He went from yearly champ to having a tough time winning at all. Our old buddy JTown gave the over/under at one title. Before this business started, im thinking it would have been a bit different. Also, the questioning of his character...jeez. Not a good look from some turds on your board.

If a guy of Surianos caliber left Iowa, say a Spencer Lee, I'd really have to look inward. It wasn't homesickness...something else.
The over/under of 1 title isn't all that unrealistic. What was the over/under on Gilman winning a title after his freshman year? I think many of us would have lost that bet.
You seem to know that it wasn't homesickness, while an insider close to the program on the Rutgers board stated "hey, he's a Jersey kid", and Suriano himself speaks of "making history, and bringing New Jersey with him."
You still didn't say who said NS isn't a very good wrestler. I guess every board has its occasional "turd".
I will now respectfully and graciosly accept my HR ban. Ha!

Reactions: Creek Side
The over/under of 1 title isn't all that unrealistic. What was the over/under on Gilman winning a title after his freshman year? I think many of us would have lost that bet.
You seem to know that it wasn't homesickness, while an insider close to the program on the Rutgers board stated "hey, he's a Jersey kid", and Suriano himself speaks of "making history, and bringing New Jersey with him."
You still didn't say who said NS isn't a very good wrestler. I guess every board has its occasional "turd".

I'm guessing that you're in agreement that the Suriano's lied in order to become eligible this year. I don't think an exception to the transfer rule would have been made for "homesickness." I don't think the over/under for most PSU fans was 1 title....until he transferred. It would be interesting to look back and read all of the positive predictions during last season and compare the same posters' thoughts since he transferred.

I'm guessing that you're in agreement that the Suriano's lied in order to become eligible this year. I don't think an exception to the transfer rule would have been made for "homesickness." I don't think the over/under for most PSU fans was 1 title....until he transferred. It would be interesting to look back and read all of the positive predictions during last season and compare the same posters' thoughts since he transferred.
Hey, I think many of us have considered that. The BIG approved his waiver for some reason. I hope someday we know what it was. Like you, I'm not going to go back and check every NS prediction, but I would guess that any decrease in predicted title wins would have a lot to do with the difference in the program/coaching, and of course a bit of pissedoffedness.

Setting the over/under at 1 would lead me to believe he thinks Suriano will win one title, no more...no less. Curious why you think that's unreasonable? This year he has NATO in his way. After that it's gonna be all Spencer Lee and Daton Fix to contend with. If he doesn't win one this year, his best shot could very well be at 133 where even there he'll have some real studs to deal with even..if Fix isn't there.

The freshman year where he was behind Clark or his true freshman year? If you can't see that the perspective on Surianos capabilities have changed on that board then you aren't being objective.

I suggest you do that. I'll bet finding anyone (including the JT guy) that predicted multiple titles for Suriano will be few and far between. We know what Spencer Lee and Daton Fix are all about. They are world class. Predicting Nick to just walk through these guys would be silly.

The freshman year where he was behind Clark or his true freshman year? If you can't see that the perspective on Surianos capabilities have changed on that board then you aren't being objective.
Haven't seen one person over there speak as if he's no good now that he left PSU. In fact, many of them feel his going to Rutgers will help them during the tourney. They feel he will knock NATO off helping PSU in the team race. That tells me they feel he's going to be a National Champion this year or at the very least contend.

Some have went a little overboard but I think it was more out of Suriano news (or fake news) fatigue, the timing of the transfer request and the general sleaziness on the Rutgers board. Anyway, I wish him the best and I'll put the over/under at 1.5 titles. (Edit: Considering a year is already done and .5 title reduction because Rutgers hasn't exactly produced a lot of champs.)

To your last statement, if someone of Suriano's caliber left under the same circumstances from Iowa, the same gamut of reactions would be found here. #human nature

Setting the over/under at 1 would lead me to believe he thinks Suriano will win one title, no more...no less. Curious why you think that's unreasonable? This year he has NATO in his way. After that it's gonna be all Spencer Lee and Daton Fix to contend with. If he doesn't win one this year his best shot could very well be at 133 where even there he'll have some real studs to deal with even if Fix isn't there.

Haha...you guys are over here proving my point. Prior to Nick's injury, if I would have said "Meh...Nick will be lucky if he wins one title" you guys would have been all over me. Many of you said he'd beat Gilman if they wrestled again and after Cruz won it, were penciling him in this year based on Nick beating him earlier in the year. Now its very "realistic" that he'll fall on his face. Lee and Fix were coming in prior, so what's changed? Nick is still in their league and could very well win it. Obviously I'm for my guy but not because he is Spencer Lee but because of TnT's record and the amount of guys Lee will roll with. And JTown, you should really just keep using a version of your own name.

Haha...you guys are over here proving my point. Prior to Nick's injury, if I would have said "Meh...Nick will be lucky if he wins one title" you guys would have been all over me. Many of you said he'd beat Gilman if they wrestled again and after Cruz won it, were penciling him in this year based on Nick beating him earlier in the year. Now its very "realistic" that he'll fall on his face. Lee and Fix were coming in prior, so what's changed? Nick is still in their league and could very well win it. Obviously I'm for my guy but not because he is Spencer Lee but because of TnT's record and the amount of guys Lee will roll with. And JTown, you should really just keep using a version of your own name.
No, proving your point would be laying out some links as to where that JT fellow ever predicted just one national championship for Suriano....just one. I mean hell, he's the one you're talking about isn't it? The guy has a couple thousand posts over there. Should be easy to find me one where he felt Suriano would win just one title let alone multiple titles.

Some have went a little overboard but I think it was more out of Suriano news (or fake news) fatigue, the timing of the transfer request and the general sleaziness on the Rutgers board. Anyway, I wish him the best and I'll put the over/under at 1.5 titles.

To your last statement, if someone of Suriano's caliber left under the same circumstances from Iowa, the same gamut of reactions would be found here. #human nature

Sure...but we're the Cesspool. Non classy fans with a non f**/non classy team. I don't think we pretend to be anything but what we are. Some good, some bad.

BTW...when Teasdale jumped to PSU, hardly anybody slammed him...and the stakes were higher for us. As of now, you have one year without a decent 125 and then you get Teasdale/RBY coming. You guys can even afford to be magnanimous and a lot are not.

Sure...but we're the Cesspool. Non classy fans with a non f**/non classy team. I don't think we pretend to be anything but what we are. Some good, some bad.

BTW...when Teasdale jumped to PSU, hardly anybody slammed him...and the stakes were higher for us. As of now, you have one year without a decent 125 and then you get Teasdale/RBY coming. You guys can even afford to be magnanimous and a lot are not.

You know Teasdale is a red herring Chief because he didn't wrestle a year at Iowa first.

https://iowa.forums.rivals.com/threads/message-to-gavin-teasdale.185588/

Those were some reactions from Iowa fans when Teasdale flipped. Most your basic "wish him well...no ill will... blah blah garbage garbage ". Pretty much the same things PSU fans are saying about Suriano.

The 'one title' or '1.5' titles doesn't match the January-February predictions on BWI.

On the bright side..... I'm guessing there will soon be some sweet deals on a BUNCH of PSU gear at a certain Goodwill in Jersey. (Not sure which exit.):D;)

Reactions: ILhawk41 and whejoe
How is it a red herring? Our coaches went with him and lost Renteria. You guys had Suriano and were still going to pull in Teasdale and RBY.

Two entirely different situations.
1) Suriano wrestled a year for PSU vs Teasdale only had a verbal committent to Iowa
2) Because its still just a verbal, Teasdale could and still can go back to Iowa. No chance Suriano goes back to PSU.
3) Teasdale isn't even on campus yet. Iowa has a lot more time to replace him than PSU does with Suriano
4) Teasdale switched to a National Champ team. Suriano switched to Rutgers (yes, there is the home state element to both at least)

On the bright side..... I'm guessing there will soon be some sweet deals on a BUNCH of PSU gear at a certain Goodwill in Jersey. (Not sure which exit.):D;)
Might be "keepsake" type stuff since he was part of a National Championship team title. If not maybe Gilman could fly over to Jersey and pretend he was part of one...

https://iowa.forums.rivals.com/threads/message-to-gavin-teasdale.185588/

Those were some reactions from Iowa fans when Teasdale flipped. Most your basic "wish him well...no ill will... blah blah garbage garbage ". Pretty much the same things PSU fans are saying about Suriano.

The thread from Teasdale almost gave me a warm fuzzy about my fellow Hawk fans. Here is the thread from today.
https://bwi.forums.rivals.com/threads/siap-nick-suriano-speaks.182709/

Might be "keepsake" type stuff since he was part of a National Championship team title. If not maybe Gilman could fly over to Jersey and pretend he was part of one...

No he wasn't. Nick rode the pine and his coach made public comments about making a big deal over a minor injury before the tourney.

I'd guess the fact that he scored zero points at nationals for the team and had his injury poo-poo'ed by the grand Poobah removes most thoughts of keepsake material.

Last edited:
4) Teasdale switched to a National Champ team. Suriano switched to Rutgers (yes, there is the home state element to both at least)

Which makes it all the stranger IMO. Why leave a team like that? It's like dumping a hot chick who's Dad owns a liquor store who was in the middle of putting a downpayment on two sports cars for him to drive. Had to be a good reason...just saying. I am genuinely curious.

In both Nick and Teasdale's case, none of this came out of the blue. There were rumors flying around about Teasdale for a few months before he did it. Nick and PSU haggled the whole summer. I guess I am surprised at some of the vitriol after it became official. JTown even said he'd root for an Iowa guy over him...that's some anger right there ;) BTW, I think the level of anger at Teasdale would have been worse if it came out of the blue.

Reactions: el dub
Not seeing any glaring differences.

"Dead to me. I hope Cael fft's the weight when PSU wrestles them."
and this right here is why the kid wanted to transfer to Rutgers:

"New Jersey is my home and it’s what I want to represent,” Suriano in a statement.
“I want to make history and bring New Jersey and Rutgers with me".
Whatever the reason given to get a waiver from the B1G was probably embellished b.s. and the committee bought it hook, line and sinker. In addition, RU's "Boom" announcement of his transfer leaves no doubt in my mind they tampered back in March at NCAA's or maybe even B1G's (with the assist of Dad). Glad it's over with but as they say "you can't win when you play dirty".

"Not that it matters now, but Suriano seemed off with me from the beginning. He never seemed to fully embrace the carefree Penn State attitude. That being said, hope he enjoys not winning titles in Piscataway. Next."

"He got a hero's announcement at RU which is probably what his folks wanted anyway. The fact is there are kids who put their heads down and go to work and others who go to work but crave individual attention. I don't know where this kid falls, but I'd venture somewhere in between (with parental assistance). You don't handle this issue the way it was handled otherwise. Doesn't make him a bad kid, but certainly not the distraction the team needed."

"I admit it I will hold a grudge unless he makes a world team then I'll suspend it...temporarily"

"I have pulled for all of the kids who transferred from PSU in an open, transparent way. I was rooting for Chance to be successful at OSU, and now LHU. But the timing, the drama and the use of the Jersey media to smear Cael has made it impossible for me to cheer for him. I don't even think I could root for him over NaTo :eek::eek:"

"This. I too never got the feeling that Suriano totally bought in to the program. Never smiled, or looked like he was enjoying what he was doing. I guess in the end, wrestling is an individual sport, but some kids really grasp the team aspect of it. I never got the feeling that he did. Even in HS he seemed like a me first type. Good riddance. Gonna root for him only if PSU desperately needs him to win."

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT