ADVERTISEMENT

Nick Suriano

Flo addressed that Suriano does not have anybody to work out with...Nico isn't in the room so he has to wrestle Zain for a tough look.

Maybe Nick is upset because Cael promised to get Rey Higuchi as an early Christmas present. But then Cael only got him Corey Keener. And a nice sweater. ;)

Reactions: IAChief32
Bump. Suriano is gone per Ames2State, an insider on BWI
242a2c2704b07b9c4dc08751582fd2c8f2c7546ec854ee3c7f982de2061b9cac.jpg

Division 1 men's wrestling is headed to club sport status, unless women's wrestling is widely adopted. The sport itself is relatively cheap and could serve a growing market on the women's side. Maybe we'd get 1500-2000 more per dual meet if women were to wrestle before the men. Might be more entertaining. At worst, the National Duals could be replaced by the National Women's Tournament. Probably more interest in that sort of event. Koll could combine the women's score with the men's and get his combined Team Champion.

Division 1 men's wrestling is headed to club sport status, unless women's wrestling is widely adopted. The sport itself is relatively cheap and could serve a growing market on the women's side. Maybe we'd get 1500-2000 more per dual meet if women were to wrestle before the men. Might be more entertaining. At worst, the National Duals could be replaced by the National Women's Tournament. Probably more interest in that sort of event. Koll could combine the women's score with the men's and get his combined Team Champion.

You think 2,000 more fans are coming out by adding women?

You think 2,000 more fans are coming out by adding women?

I'm thinking more along the lines of 21 more fans.

Seriously, though, a women's championship tournament during a time between the last major weekend of men's duals and the conference championship/qualifier tournaments is not a bad idea. Not sure if it was 21's idea, but it is a good one, IMO. Of course, other things have to happen first . . . like at least 10 schools developing a full team.

I'm thinking more along the lines of 21 more fans.

Seriously, though, a women's championship tournament during a time between the last major weekend of men's duals and the conference championship/qualifier tournaments is not a bad idea. Not sure if it was 21's idea, but it is a good one, IMO. Of course, other things have to happen first . . . like at least 10 schools developing a full team.

I think it's a great idea. Pretending it will increase fan support by anything close to that at Iowa is absurd.

Sooooooo Nick is coming to wrestle for Iowa 2018-2019 season? Sorry thread title was different than the additional 2,000 seats for women's wrestling. Hope Iowa gets a woman's team too.

Well Cael didn't get his way...Has to be either the mishandling of the injury last year or NS wanted to go 133 and was told could not as the transfer coming is going there....

Well Cael didn't get his way...Has to be either the mishandling of the injury last year or NS wanted to go 133 and was told could not as the transfer coming is going there....

I don't know what the issue was but the NCAA wouldn't give him a transfer just because he wanted to go up a weight. He likely could have done that at PSU. Better to have NS than to not...except it probably would have affected recruiting. PSU could have given the NCAA a last minute endorsement of the transfer to help make it happen but this has been going on all summer.

The Surianos must have had a pretty compelling case.

And Im guessing that compelling case got 'splained to PSU admin in graphic detail when Nick's dad met them by himself awhile back. The 'splaination apparently didnt get through to them but DID to the ultimate deciders.

And Im guessing that compelling case got 'splained to PSU admin in graphic detail when Nick's dad met them by himself awhile back. The 'splaination apparently didnt get through to them but DID to the ultimate deciders.
Are you saying there might be something not on the up in up at PSU and Suriano threatened to spill the beans unless they gave him what he was asking? Nnnnoooooo!!!!

Reactions: DonHawkeye
"Penn State officials refused a closed-doors request for an amicable split."

B1G won't discuss the extenuating circumstances behind their waiver approval. PSU obviously won't, maybe Rutger's board can get it from dad Suriano.

Reactions: el dub
Are you saying there might be something not on the up in up at PSU and Suriano threatened to spill the beans unless they gave him what he was asking? Nnnnoooooo!!!!

I'm just saying that Mr Suriano may have presented a compelling case for release that was simply dismissed by PSU admin but not the Big10.

I think in a lot of these cases, the wrestler is told no about the release because it might be something trivial or short term situational; if the athlete is serious, than they continue to fight. Coaches want to try and fix things first and explore all avenues. If it is irreconcilable, I think they grant the release in most cases. I think in Nick's case, national ESPN forced PSU's and the B1G's case. That, and Mr Suriano sent some guys up to help the AD find his pen.

Last edited:
Reactions: honkey69
I heard that the Suriano's did feel as if TPSU did not handle the injury In a way they thought was appropriate. Who knows, I certainly don't, but it is a fact that the B10 is tough on transfers within the conference. It's a safe bet that If there wasn't something there he would not have gotten the waiver. They must have had a legitimate complaint. At least it's over and the thread on all the boards can move on. We wrestle Rutgers early December and we will find out then if Nick moves up or stays down.

One thing is for certain. This kind of thing doesn't happen every day in the Big Ten, so PSU must have decided they didn't want St. Cael to take a PR hit and just move on.

One thing is for certain. This kind of thing doesn't happen every day in the Big Ten, so PSU must have decided they didn't want St. Cael to take a PR hit and just move on.

I think you are mistaken. The Big10 authorized the full release IN SPITE of the position taken by PSU, not because PSU finally changed their minds.

For the record, PSU granted Soriano a release. It was then in the hands of the Big Ten, not the NCAA or PSU, as to whether he would have to sit out a year since that's the intraconference transfer rule. He needed a waiver from the conference and got it.

What PSU didn't do is endorse Soriano receiving a waiver. This all comes from the article above.

Not saying I blame PSU, btw. Why the conference approved a waiver, we do not know.

ADVERTISEMENT