ADVERTISEMENT

NIT tests new rules

hknation

HR All-American
Dec 21, 2001
I like them all.

LINK: http://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...nger-3-point-line-experimental-rules-used-nit

NIT to experiment with new rules this season
3:32 PM CST

The National Invitation Tournament will experiment with four rule changes for this year's event, the NCAA announced Tuesday.

They include:
• A deeper 3-point line. It will be moved back approximately 20 inches to the distance used by FIBA in international competition (22 feet, 1.75 inches).

• A wider free throw lane. It will be extended from 12 to 16 feet, which is used in the NBA.

• After an offensive rebound, the shot clock will reset to 20 seconds, as opposed to the full 30.

• Quarters, not halves. The game will still have 40 minutes of game clock, but it will be broken into four 10-minute quarters, which was adopted for the women's college game in 2015. For each quarter, two free throws are awarded once a team reaches five fouls.

Permanent rule changes to the sport cannot be made until the current two-year cycle ends in May 2019.

"The style of play in men's college basketball is healthy and appealing, but the leadership governing the game is interested in keeping the playing rules contemporary and trending favorably," Dan Gavitt, NCAA senior vice president of basketball, said in a statement.

"Experimenting with two significant court dimension rules, a shot-clock reset rule and a game-format rule all have some level of support in the membership, so the NIT will provide the opportunity to gather invaluable data and measure the experience of the participants."

The NIT begins March 13 and concludes with the championship at Madison Square Garden in New York City on March 29.

I like them all.

LINK: http://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...nger-3-point-line-experimental-rules-used-nit

The National Invitation Tournament will experiment with four rule changes for this year's event, the NCAA announced Tuesday.

They include:
• A deeper 3-point line. It will be moved back approximately 20 inches to the distance used by FIBA in international competition (22 feet, 1.75 inches).

• A wider free throw lane. It will be extended from 12 to 16 feet, which is used in the NBA.

• Quarters, not halves. The game will still have 40 minutes of game clock, but it will be broken into four 10-minute quarters, which was adopted for the women's college game in 2015. For each quarter, two free throws are awarded once a team reaches five fouls.

I'm OK with the first two changes, but the last one regarding quarters and the amount of fouls and resulting free throws is a terrible idea IMO. Eliminate the one and one FT situation? That's just stupid and takes a lot of coaching discretion and strategy out of the game.

I like them all.

They include:

You left off the last rule, which if I remember correctly is the shot clock only resets to 20 off of an offensive rebound.

Time will tell on what I personally think. 3pt line and widening the lane I could probably care less about and wont notice

You left off the last rule, which if I remember correctly is the shot clock only resets to 20 off of an offensive rebound.

Time will tell on what I personally think. 3pt line and widening the lane I could probably care less about and wont notice
Iowas clock operators can't handle one time reset let alone to different ones.

I like the 20 sec reset after a rebound. I also like quarters but not the foul thing. I like the 1 and 1 bonus. The reason I’d prefer quarters is it would cut down on one media timeout per half. One after five mins each quarter and one in between quarters.

I'm OK with the first two changes, but the last one regarding quarters and the amount of fouls and resulting free throws is a terrible idea IMO. Eliminate the one and one FT situation? That's just stupid and takes a lot of coaching discretion and strategy out of the game.
I've refereed both ways (semipro and college) and I actually prefer the quarters, 5th foul penalty FTs. I don't think it takes strategy out of the game, I just think it changes the type of strategy you use. Also, I'd rather have basketball be about playing, defending, and scoring than strategizing about fouling.

I've always wondered why all levels just don't go to most if not all the intl rules. The trapezoidal lane, touching the ball on the cylinder after a shot hits the rim, 4 quarters, 3 point line slightly farther out, etc.

You can tweak them to keep some things specific to college, such as the shot clock, technical foul shots awarded, etc.

But the 3 point line (looks like a half meter farther out than college), lane shape/width, 4 quarters (8 mins HS, 10 mins college, 12 mins pro), cylinder/shot rules, 1 minute TO's always...those should be standard for all leagues and levels.

Reactions: ThrowBones92
Moving the 3-ball back will be huge positive for Fran Ball. Fran's defense does guard 3pt line very well, so making the shot more difficult will help.

JBo already has to shoot 3 feet behind the line, shouldn't impact his game.

Moving the 3-ball back will be huge positive for Fran Ball. Fran's defense does guard 3pt line very well, so making the shot more difficult will help.

Too bad we won't make it to the NIT this year to try it out. I like the move to 10min quarters...not the fouls/FTs

Bringing the 3 point line back should be done , Centers would again become important , less 3 point attempts and more pounding it down low , oh and defense and rebounding and fundamental basketball might actually make a comeback .

I've always wondered why all levels just don't go to most if not all the intl rules. The trapezoidal lane, touching the ball on the cylinder after a shot hits the rim, 4 quarters, 3 point line slightly farther out, etc.

You can tweak them to keep some things specific to college, such as the shot clock, technical foul shots awarded, etc.

But the 3 point line (looks like a half meter farther out than college), lane shape/width, 4 quarters (8 mins HS, 10 mins college, 12 mins pro), cylinder/shot rules, 1 minute TO's always...those should be standard for all leagues and levels.
The rectangular lane is an American standard.

Love it or leave it.

Not sure why anyone would be against quarters. With how frequently college refs blow their whistle on phantom fouls, I think players should get 6 fouls before fouling out. That way some bull shit whistle by the crew won't cause a player to sit on the bench for significant minutes.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT