ADVERTISEMENT

NIU Grad Transfer DT - Jack Heflin

IAHawk2011

HR All-American
Mar 18, 2010
Jack Heflin announced he is grad transferring yesterday. He’s originally from Prophetstown, IL, and grew up an Iowa fan. He’s a big body at DT and was 2nd team all-MAC (and honorable mention all-American by Pro Football Focus). I see he and Coach Kelvin Bell have followed each other on twitter. @Blair Sanderson or anyone who might know - does Iowa have a good shot with this kid? Would be a great addition next to Nixon at DT.

Last edited:
Holy crap, great link hawktrooper:

“I grew up in a family full of Iowa fans and my dream has always been to play at Kinnick Stadium,’’ Heflin said. “I watched Hawkeye football on Saturdays growing up in Prophetstown and they were my team. I’m chomping at the bit to get over there.’’

He went to a handful of games at Iowa growing up and the sophomore defensive tackle expects more than 50 family members and friends to be in attendance at Kinnick Stadium.

“Getting recruited and then not getting recruited, I ended up in a great place at Northern and this is the next-best thing,’’ Heflin said. “I’m going to get two chances in my life to play at Kinnick (Northern Illinois plays there in 2020 as well) and I expect to make the most of them.’’

2018 article
be great if he can come to Iowa and I'm sure he would play his hardest.
Guess we'll see, hope there is room.

If there were concerns about DL depth, this kid would help silence them.

- Our DT's would go 4 deep - Nixon, Schulte, Shannon, Heflin
- Our DE's would be 5 deep - Golston, Waggoner, VVB, Evans, Lee

Waggoner also being considered at DT. Even without Heflin, IMO we already go 8 deep on DL, which is pretty solid. The only guy above who hasn't played yet is Lee, and it sounds like he's more than ready.

Means we don't have to rely on RS FR like Karchinski or Reames, or true FR... unless they crack the rotation because they're that damn good.

Holy crap, great link hawktrooper:

“I grew up in a family full of Iowa fans and my dream has always been to play at Kinnick Stadium,’’ Heflin said. “I watched Hawkeye football on Saturdays growing up in Prophetstown and they were my team. I’m chomping at the bit to get over there.’’

He went to a handful of games at Iowa growing up and the sophomore defensive tackle expects more than 50 family members and friends to be in attendance at Kinnick Stadium.

“Getting recruited and then not getting recruited, I ended up in a great place at Northern and this is the next-best thing,’’ Heflin said. “I’m going to get two chances in my life to play at Kinnick (Northern Illinois plays there in 2020 as well) and I expect to make the most of them.’’
Well, if the coaches aren't looking at him, he is sure putting out his application to Iowa. ;)

We certainly can use depth at DT and we’ve yet to determine the starter to pair with Nixon.

This would be a monster get. Similar to Cronk. Plug and play at a position that may be a little green. And we know we will run multiple DL’s in a game. Fingers crossed.

Reactions: 24 so far
Jack Heflin announced he is grad transferring yesterday. He’s originally from Prophetstown, IL, and grew up an Iowa fan. He’s a big body at DT and was 2nd team all-MAC (and honorable mention all-American by Pro Football Focus). I see he and Coach Kelvin Bell have followed each other on twitter. @Blair Sanderson or anyone who might know - does Iowa have a good shot with this kid? Would be a great addition next to Nixon at DT.
Yeah, I noted the quick follow by Kelvin Bell also. Also saw a bunch of Illinois coaches follow Heflin as well as Washington State, Baylor, and some others.

Would love this pick up. When going through the offseason list of strengths and weaknesses this is one of the most complete teams i can rememeber. I see zero "this is going to be a weakness" and only about 3-4 "we are going to need someone to step up" interior "beef" and a pass rush are 2 of those question marks. This would seem to help not only on face value but also would help keep bodies fresh for a pass rush.

tenor.gif

They should have some good film of him in 2018 and have an idea of what he did against Iowa.

I would love to have another plater that looks at Iowa as their dream school. Even if he is not a starter. He should be able to contribute.

I can’t tell if this is sarcasm or not. He missed 3 conference games and still made 2nd team. He has 16.5 TFL and 9 sacks over the last two seasons. He would start alongside Nixon IMO.
You would hope so considering I think KF has lost 3-4 times to MAC teams.

Reactions: CarterHall
2nd team MAC? We don't even know if he would play much.

Of course we don't know. If he checks out from an attitude standpoint (no reason to suspect not) it's a great, low-risk venture. Only 1 year commitment, doesn't block the younger guys long-term. Iowa has had good success with the grad-transfer punters. Position players has been a mixed bag, but Cronk could be a big contributor next year.

Heflin is following Tyler Barnes on Twitter but also other coaches from Oregon, Boise State, Washington State, Iowa State, Houston, etc.

I would imagine the time frame for a player commiting would be pretty quick with where we are in the season? That being said c-19 is messing everything up. Any input on time lines for portal commitments Blair? Will it be quick or could guys show up 5 days before the season?

Last edited:
I would imagine the time frame for a player commiting would be pretty quick with where we are in the season? That being said c-19 is messing everything up. Any input on time lines for portal commitments Blair? Will it be quick or could guys show up 5 days before the season?
They'd have to be enrolled in school and in this case accepted into grad school, so there's a whole process there. Under normal circumstances you'd want him on campus in June for summer conditioning, but obviously nothing is really normal right now.

With recruiting, there are no campus visits allowed until at least June (and likely to be longer) so it would be all virtual plus DMs, texts, and phone calls now that he's in the transfer portal. Familiarity with Iowa would definitely help there if they've got a spot for him.

Iowa has Summer courses online, so they could attempt to get some traction on the academic side without him setting foot on campus.

Strange times.

Did we recruit him originally? It appears not. If not, why not? Was he a late bloomer?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT