ADVERTISEMENT

No way Joe W leaves...

UncannyNanny

HR MVP
Gold Member
Feb 29, 2020
I’m still seeing throughout multiple threads that people are saying they hope JW stays...I’ll save you from the heartache and sleepless nights, He’s not going anywhere. He’s a good player and I’m glad we have him, But there is zero chance he makes an NBA roster next year. You can’t continuously disappear throughout games week in and week out. I’m not saying he won’t make one someday..but he is nowhere near ready in my opinion.

I’m still seeing throughout multiple threads that people are saying they hope JW stays...I’ll save you from the heartache and sleepless nights, He’s not going anywhere. He’s a good player and I’m glad we have him, But there is zero chance he makes an NBA roster next year. You can’t continuously disappear throughout games week in and week out. I’m not saying he won’t make one someday..but he is nowhere near ready in my opinion.
I agree. I would be shocked if he declared for the NBA draft. Too much he needs to works on.

I dont think Joe leaves, but people need to stop thinking that development stops once you leave college. NBA rarely draft seniors anymore. They will rather draft you early and develop you on their own. All it takes is one team wanting him.

Last edited:
People get caught up in narratives too easily IMO. Last year after a promising freshman season and going through the evaluation process fans looked at Joe as a surefire bet to leave for the pros early. This season reality hit as teams got physical and learned how to defend him and then the CJ injury took out our other outside shooter and Joe went into a prolonged slump.

No way of knowing whether Weiskamp will ever play pro ball but his game needs some further development at this level and I think the recent slump has helped him realize he needs to refine his game some. I think that will happen and the rest of it will play itself out one way or the other.

Dont be surprised if CJ test the waters just to see what he needs to do.....

One never knows what the 19 year old mind is thinking. If Luka goes anything could happen IMO.

If they all are back we could be in for a special season.

Joe W projects as an NBA role player. He’s a “3 and D” swing man. His job would be stand in the corner, space the floor, make 3’s, and guard.

It’s a role that the NBA values and looks like a good fit for him. He’s got good size, good lateral quickness, and can shoot. That type of player, however, is not the type that can take over games with the ball in his hands at the college or pro level. He’s a late first round, second round type at most.

People expecting that he’s going to develop into a great ball-dominant scorer/playmaker are going to be disappointed. That’s not his
game and never will be.

Like many athletes, his goal is to play at the highest level. He took advantage of an option that was available to him - to be evaluated and receive feedback on what he needed to do to achieve this goal. People got all up in arms about him leaving early when at no time did he ever say he was planning on that. Now those same people are saying he sucks and has no business entering the draft early. Compare what he did to a practicum or an internship and maybe you can understand why he took advantage of professional feedback.

I like the NBA, but am not going to claim I know who can make it and who can't. Kevin Huerter left after his soph year at Maryland was a first round pick and average double figures in his second year. I never saw NBA potential in that guy so what do I know. He is bigger than Joe.

So many of the players that come into the league are so young you've barely heard about or noticed their college career. Look at the mock drafts and pretty much all of them are 18-19 years old. There doesn't seem to be a big upside in staying in school as the NBA craves youth and potential more that experience and polished skills. If you stay too long you become old and reveal limitations.

That said I think Joe W. could play in the NBA if he becomes significantly stronger and developes counter moves to get his shot off. He seems to make up his mind on drives and if a defender sticks with him he doesn't adjust or change his shot.

Reactions: anon_gjzkhykcp9iuj
The NBA is a physical league and so
is the Big Ten. Wieskamp will need to
get physically tougher during his Junior
and Senior years at Iowa. He does not
need more weight, just more muscle.

Reactions: hawkeyemark56
Joe W projects as an NBA role player. He’s a “3 and D” swing man. His job would be stand in the corner, space the floor, make 3’s, and guard.

It’s a role that the NBA values and looks like a good fit for him. He’s got good size, good lateral quickness, and can shoot. That type of player, however, is not the type that can take over games with the ball in his hands at the college or pro level. He’s a late first round, second round type at most.

People expecting that he’s going to develop into a great ball-dominant scorer/playmaker are going to be disappointed. That’s not his
game and never will be.

Correct. I have no idea if he ever will or won't be an NBA player, but what he could/would do in the NBA is different than what he is asked to do in college. He's good size, athleticism, and until recently, was a reliable 3-point shooter. If he were to make the NBA, he wouldn't be the primary perimeter option and the focus on the opponent's defense. He likely wouldn't have much, if any, plays run for him. He'd be spacing the floor at the 3-point line waiting for the ball to be rotated to him to either shoot or dribble in if being run off the 3-point line.

What Iowa needs him to do is a bit different. He does have to put the ball on the floor and go to the rim. Hopefully he can find his outside shot again here soon. If he does, he's very difficult to guard, especially when Iowa is at full strength.

He reminds me of Uthoff when he drives to the basket and tries to push his way in. He ends up on the ground. He needs to be much stronger, even to play in the Big10.
Some smart guy had a thread about something like this recently...

I dont think Joe leaves, but people need to stop thinking that development stops once you leave college. NBA rarely draft seniors anymore. They will rather draft you early and development you on their own. All it takes is one team wanting him.

The nba drafts players early to develop that have a high likelihood of being a star.

The role players need to be ready off the bat if they have any shot of making it.

Otherwise they go to the G league.

Reactions: Hawksfor3
He needs to become a more creative player if he wants to improve. His predominant move is a straight line drive going right. People are ready for it and he doesn’t have a turn around over his left shoulder to counter the pressure on his strong hand

The nba drafts players early to develop that have a high likelihood of being a star.

The role players need to be ready off the bat if they have any shot of making it.

Otherwise they go to the G league.

That hasnt been the case recently. Only 22% of the draft picks last year were seniors. No way the other 78% project as stars

That hasnt been the case recently. Only 22% of the draft picks last year were seniors. No way the other 78% project as stars

Starter would have been more accurate.

Teams only draft 2 players a year and most second rounders aren't expected to make it.

Nobody's taking a flyer on developing a potential bench role player.
Those guys have to earn their spot.

If you're a player hoping to make it into the NBA someday the NBA Draft isnt as important as it once was. There are now lots of different ways to develop and make it to the NBA. Those other ways also pay you. The Joe W's and Tyler Cooks no longer need to wait around in college for 4-5 years in Hope's of developing enough to get drafted and make an NBA roster.

Reactions: ROCKY MOUNTAIN HAWK
If you're a player hoping to make it into the NBA someday the NBA Draft isnt as important as it once was. There are now lots of different ways to develop and make it to the NBA. Those other ways also pay you. The Joe W's and Tyler Cooks no longer need to wait around in college for 4-5 years in Hope's of developing enough to get drafted and make an NBA roster.

If you're not a 1st round pick your probably not making it regardless.

So a couple extra years of G league money isn't worth much of anything in the long run.

A degree is worth something. It just will depend on who has his ear.

game and never will be.

Agreed somewhat. I just went to the Toronto Raptors at Denver Nuggets game Sunday night (Denver won!) and was very impressed with the size and athleticism on the court. Most all of the players had great ability to dribble, change directions on a dime, guard well , bump bodies and play power ball. Even the bigs were doing impressive one on one dribbling and scoring. I did not see any skinny white 6'6" players on the floor or bench.

Sitting on row 7 and walking down on the floor during the game showed me the NBA is a very impressive group of athletes. A 6'6" guard has to be great at most all basketball skills in the NBA. Joe needs to improve his dribbling tremendously (along with defense) and I'm still worried he does not have the athleticism needed.

Reactions: RocknRollface
I see the kid who transferred into Michigan from some small school is in the NBA. Just sayin

Agreed somewhat. I just went to the Toronto Raptors at Denver Nuggets game Sunday night (Denver won!) and was very impressed with the size and athleticism on the court. Most all of the players had great ability to dribble, change directions on a dime, guard well , bump bodies and play power ball. Even the bigs were doing impressive one on one dribbling and scoring. I did not see any skinny white 6'6" players on the floor or bench.

Sitting on row 7 and walking down on the floor during the game showed me the NBA is a very impressive group of athletes. A 6'6" guard has to be great at most all basketball skills in the NBA. Joe needs to improve his dribbling tremendously (along with defense) and I'm still worried he does not have the athleticism needed.

Those are two of the better teams too. Would've been great to see. Matt Thomas did play a little bit.

True. But, the guys you are referring to are generally supreme athletes. Joe is not. He will or won't be drafted based upon skills. Unfortunately I don't think he has enough skills. Great shooter when not in his head, but has average handles (worse against physical opponents), can only straight line drive, and is not a creator. He certainly might make the NBA, but it will be based upon shooting, which he struggles with against physical opponents, which is nearly 100% of the NBA.

Reactions: ROCKY MOUNTAIN HAWK
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT