ADVERTISEMENT

Northwestern preview

Oh for crying out loud, what's wrong with Warner?

Not surprised on Woods.

Should be some great wrestling at CHA.
Rumor has it Warner got injured two matches back but the coaches made him go last duel to cover up that fact.

Through no one's fault...Iowa fans buying season tix certainly aren't getting full entertainment value, imo, with these patched together lineups.

Too bad.
Let's hope we don't get a repeat of the Fan Appreciation dual last week in CHA.

Looks like a weaker lineup, just like Illinois dual, but we certainly can't afford a lack luster performance on top of it. Purdue level effort should get the Hawks a win here.

5G, b****….

Oh digital? Well then...

tumblr_msytbz9pPw1sr0wfvo1_500.gif

That's Matrix type chit.

disaster is a bit over the top, but they are for sure flirting with getting a loss.my biggest worry is pk dinged up. riggins listed and wrestled sunday
Make no mistake Iowa losing a dual to Northwestern at home no less would absolutely be a disaster. The last time Iowa lost to the Wildcats was 2005. Iowa dominates the all time series record with a 75-7 win/loss ratio. A loss would be damaging for a program of this caliber.

Make no mistake Iowa losing a dual to Northwestern at home no less would absolutely be a disaster. The last time Iowa lost to the Wildcats was 2005. Iowa dominates the all time series record with a 75-7 win/loss ratio. A loss would be damaging for a program of this caliber.
What? It’s not like it would go down on our permanent record or something… lol

Any worse than psu’s dual record coming to an end against ASU? Not being a smart ass here but they didn’t skip a beat. Duals matter but the wins and losses are pretty meaningless these days…I think we win but wouldn’t be shocked by a loss.

Any worse than psu’s dual record coming to an end against ASU? Not being a smart ass here but they didn’t skip a beat. Duals matter but the wins and losses are pretty meaningless these days…I think we win but wouldn’t be shocked by a loss.
Iowa has lost to NW twice since 1968, let’s not get it twisted a win for the Wildcats would be a huge feather in their caps and be a big blow to the Hawks. Is the strategy let’s pretend its not a big deal to ease the sting in case of a loss?

Iowa has lost to NW twice since 1968, let’s not get it twisted a win for the Wildcats would be a huge feather in their caps and be a big blow to the Hawks. Is the strategy let’s pretend its not a big deal to ease the sting in case of a loss?
It would be a big win for their program no doubt. As far as strategy goes, I don’t know if you mean mine, the coaching staff’s or fans in general. I’ll only speak on mine which is win at NCAA’s. I don’t give two shites about big’s or duals. They’re warmups for the big dance and should be attended but it’s just practice before the real deal. Wrestling isn’t like football…we could lose this dual and the next and the next and still win nationals. I was just saying I’m ok with it. If our team was healthy and we lost straight up, maybe I’d feel differently but I doubt it.

Reactions: YoungGun07
It would be a big win for their program no doubt. As far as strategy goes, I don’t know if you mean mine, the coaching staff’s or fans in general. I’ll only speak on mine which is win at NCAA’s. I don’t give two shites about big’s or duals. They’re warmups for the big dance and should be attended but it’s just practice before the real deal. Wrestling isn’t like football…we could lose this dual and the next and the next and still win nationals. I was just saying I’m ok with it. If our team was healthy and we lost straight up, maybe I’d feel differently but I doubt it.
Agree to disagree. I like winning now and winning later. These duals absolutely matter. Guys dropping dual matches hurts their seeding and makes B10s harder, affecting nationals. Nationals is the big prize, but they are all important.

Agree to disagree. I like winning now and winning later. These duals absolutely matter. Guys dropping dual matches hurts their seeding and makes B10s harder, affecting nationals. Nationals is the big prize, but they are all important.
I agree. However, it’s tough to get reel worked up about duels with so many starters consistently out of the line up. (I do enjoy seeing the young guys step up, but take results with a grain of salt.)

Damaging in what way? Do you think Iowa will lose recruits or donors over this?

I think you're being pretty dramatic, but the above is an honest question.

I think programs that consistently win bring in recruits. Iowa is (was) the number 2 program in the country. They narrowly beat Iowa St and nearly lost to number 24 Illinois. Iowa dropping duals to teams of that caliber isn’t helping recruiting. Again they’ve lost to NE twice since ‘68. I have no idea how donors decide whether they donate or not. I think the Hawks pull it out, but it would be an embarrassing loss if they dropped it.

Rumor has it Warner got injured two matches back but the coaches made him go last duel to cover up that fact.
At the end of Illinois match, he didn't attempt to escape when got taken down, then struggled to get up and limped off.

Reactions: Inthecircle
Through no one's fault...Iowa fans buying season tix certainly aren't getting full entertainment value, imo, with these patched together lineups.

Too bad.
Watching the best wrestler in Iowa history in person multiple times for under 100 bucks seems like a bargain to me. Most season ticket holders probably realized the season was highlighted by Spencer's last year. Teske, Murin, Cobe, PK, Brands, Assad, and Warner will have to step up if they want the season to be about the team.

Last edited:
I agree. However, it’s tough to get reel worked up about duels with so many starters consistently out of the line up. (I do enjoy seeing the young guys step up, but take results with a grain of salt.)
Oh come on Dub, that’s soft dude.

Reactions: el dub
I was hoping to never see Bennett in the black singlet ever again. I was totally embarrassed for him last time. The guy just totally gave up against a mediocre Illinois wrestler. I don't know if if I've ever been more disappointed in an Iowa wrestler. I'm surprised Brands is even giving him another chance.

Reactions: Boomhawk52
I was hoping to never see Bennett in the black singlet ever again. I was totally embarrassed for him last time. The guy just totally gave up against a mediocre Illinois wrestler. I don't know if if I've ever been more disappointed in an Iowa wrestler. I'm surprised Brands is even giving him another chance.
I'll see your Drew Bennett and raise you four Aidan Harrises.

I am fairly certain Grothus could go this Friday. He’s a team player.

Reactions: Chuck C
You know, HawkeyeFever, the irony is that no one actually tries to suck as a wrestler just to piss us off.

Bennett and Harris obviously really wanted to wrestle for the Hawks--they both transferred in--and God bless them, they just aren't at this level. But like the dog who caught the car, they kinda asked for this hell!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT