ADVERTISEMENT

Not a great time to be a Hawkeye Fan

We have zero NFL caliber receivers on our roster.

They cannot routinely get spacing; they are not big enough to regularly outjump or out-muscle safeties and Dbacks for the ball.

Those two facts make it rather difficult for any QB to make NFL-like plays. No matter how good your passer is or his "reads".
I disagree. I think ISM makes an NFL roster. He is legit. I agree on Brandon Smith but he is a nice college player and has made numerous plays going to get 50/50 balls Stanley has thrown up for grabs. Also, Tyrone Tracy has gotten open and has NFL potential.

I disagree. I think ISM makes an NFL roster. He is legit. I agree on Brandon Smith but he is a nice college player and has made numerous plays going to get 50/50 balls Stanley has thrown up for grabs. Also, Tyrone Tracy has gotten open and has NFL potential.

IMO, Marvin McNutt was a higher caliber WR than ISM.
McNutt was drafted and never played in the NFL. He was signed by 3 NFL teams to practice squads (Eagles, Dolphins, Panthers)

The only Iowa WR I can recall in recent memory who got any reliable NFL reps was Kevin Kasper. Before that, it's Dwight.

IMO, Marvin McNutt was a higher caliber WR than ISM.
McNutt was drafted and never played in the NFL. He was signed by 3 NFL teams to practice squads (Eagles, Dolphins, Panthers)

The only Iowa WR I can recall in recent memory who got any reliable NFL reps was Kevin Kasper. Before that, it's Dwight.
Insertjasonbatemanwhatwhatwhatgif. McNutt was slow as balls compared to ISM. McNutt had great hands, was kind of fast, and was a helluva college WR. ISM has the ability to runaway from people and he has shown the ability to make tough catches. I loved McNutt as a Hawk but ISM has a way higher NFL ceiling than McNutt ever did.

I am more concerned with nepotism in basketball. Our offense and game management in football have been a constant for 20 years with OCs coming and going. It is the general not his lieutenants. As for basketball, I don’t see how in the hell Connor is starting over touissant. Our starting 5 last night was incredibly slow, flat footed, and all around terrible. And it is not because we started 5 white guys, as Weiskamp is legit and super athletic. It is the other 4. Garza is actually good, skilled, and tough. But SLOW. Nunge is terrible. Connor is terrible. I’m not sure on cj Frederick but last night he seemed outclassed physically. Basically we looked outclassed physically until touissant came in. I don’t care if he is a freshman and can be out of control. He HAS to start and play most of the minutes against teams with a pulse. Not sure that is going to happen with the fran’s son starting ahead of him.
It was the second game. Toussaint in easing into more time,

I am more concerned with nepotism in basketball. Our offense and game management in football have been a constant for 20 years with OCs coming and going. It is the general not his lieutenants. As for basketball, I don’t see how in the hell Connor is starting over touissant. Our starting 5 last night was incredibly slow, flat footed, and all around terrible. And it is not because we started 5 white guys, as Weiskamp is legit and super athletic. It is the other 4. Garza is actually good, skilled, and tough. But SLOW. Nunge is terrible. Connor is terrible. I’m not sure on cj Frederick but last night he seemed outclassed physically. Basically we looked outclassed physically until touissant came in. I don’t care if he is a freshman and can be out of control. He HAS to start and play most of the minutes against teams with a pulse. Not sure that is going to happen with the fran’s son starting ahead of him.

Thank God you're not the coach, calling 4 & 5 star players terrible.

Thank God you're not the coach, calling 4 & 5 star players terrible.
Pray tell what 5 stars are on the roster let alone one that I have described as terrible. Our "4 star" players as ranked by Rivals out of high school are: Connor, Garza, Joe W, and Patrick. The only one I called terrible is Connor, which I stand by relative to starting PGs in power 5 conferences, and some non-power 5 conferences. I acknowledged Joe W as "legit and super athletic." I said Garza is good but slow, which is patently obvious. I had no comment on Patrick, who I think has a lot of potential once he fills out. If you watched that abomination last night and think that the starting 5 as a group is good enough to get it done, I also am glad you are not the coach.

Pray tell what 5 stars are on the roster let alone one that I have described as terrible. Our "4 star" players as ranked by Rivals out of high school are: Connor, Garza, Joe W, and Patrick. The only one I called terrible is Connor, which I stand by relative to starting PGs in power 5 conferences, and some non-power 5 conferences. I acknowledged Joe W as "legit and super athletic." I said Garza is good but slow, which is patently obvious. I had no comment on Patrick, who I think has a lot of potential once he fills out. If you watched that abomination last night and think that the starting 5 as a group is good enough to get it done, I also am glad you are not the coach.

I watched last nights performance, 1 game does not make a season, clearly they weren't prepared and had an off night.

Your "the sky is falling" mentality is off base after game 2.

Joes Place, post: 7071454, member: 4784"]We have zero NFL caliber receivers on our roster.

They cannot routinely get spacing; they are not big enough to regularly outjump or out-muscle safeties and Dbacks for the ball.

I disagree. Brandon Smith has shown he can do just that when given the chance. Checkdown Charlie
..aka Stanley does not take shots much.

I watched last nights performance, 1 game does not make a season, clearly they weren't prepared and had an off night.

Your "the sky is falling" mentality is off base after game 2.
Right, so I did not call any 5 stars terrible while Connor simply wasn't "prepared and had an off night" as players he was guarding blew by him and he turned the ball over on offense. It's not like I think we're going winless but this team will surprise me greatly if it has an above 500 record, unless Joe T starts playing most minutes at PG and he is as good as I'm hoping. If he's just so-so then this could be a very ugly season. Hope I'm wrong.

I never thought I'd worry about nepotism in Iowa sports but at this point it seems pretty egregious. BOTH of Mccaffery's sons are starting on the basketball team and Kirk's son is the shadow-head coach, new head coach in waiting. I don't like it.

McCaffery's kids were both 4-star recruits. I don't see the issue.

Were you also outraged when Brian & James Ferentz were multi-year starters on Iowa's OL?

McCaffery's kids were both 4-star recruits. I don't see the issue.

Were you also outraged when Brian & James Ferentz were multi-year starters on Iowa's OL?

Well, to be clear I'm not "outraged". But yes, at this point, seeing like 3 ferentz's haveing made their way through the team and one of them become what appears to be the next coach in waiting, combined with two of the head coach's sons starting on what appears to be a bad basketball team, has caught my attention.

Well, to be clear I'm not "outraged". But yes, at this point, seeing like 3 ferentz's haveing made their way through the team and one of them become what appears to be the next coach in waiting, combined with two of the head coach's sons starting on what appears to be a bad basketball team, has caught my attention.
Patrick doesn't start. James and Brian Ferentz played in the NFL, for the Patriots no less. I'll take any more seeds that Kirk may have planted outside of the marriage. My only issue as to a coach's kid not producing relative to minutes played, for now, is Connor. Hopefully that resolves itself.

Patrick doesn't start. James and Brian Ferentz played in the NFL, for the Patriots no less. I'll take any more seeds that Kirk may have planted outside of the marriage. My only issue as to a coach's kid not producing relative to minutes played, for now, is Connor. Hopefully that resolves itself.

Fair - I'm just not a huge fan of the idea that Brian is a shoo-in to be the next coach, and I'm getting tired of this iteration of the Iowa basketball team after 10 years now

Fair - I'm just not a huge fan of the idea that Brian is a shoo-in to be the next coach, and I'm getting tired of this iteration of the Iowa basketball team after 10 years now

Brian being "shoo-in" to be the next head coach seems to be largely an assumption and a fan construct. Brian's coaching background is pretty significant, it's not like he just graduated and got plugged in. If his last name wasn't "Ferentz", he'd have been seen as a pretty good OC hire a couple years ago coming off his stint with New England. He'll succeed or not on his own merit.

Reactions: CarolinaHawkeye
Brian being "shoo-in" to be the next head coach seems to be largely an assumption and a fan construct. Brian's coaching background is pretty significant, it's not like he just graduated and got plugged in. If his last name wasn't "Ferentz", he'd have been seen as a pretty good OC hire a couple years ago coming off his stint with New England. He'll succeed or not on his own merit.

I wouldn't say it's an unfounded assumption..

Check with OP to see if he has any half brothers.

Always a great time to be an Iowa fan. Football is fine.
Basketball is irrelevant. Not expected to win, just exist.

We have zero NFL caliber receivers on our roster.

Those two facts make it rather difficult for any QB to make NFL-like plays. No matter how good your passer is or his "reads".

Right now, yes. Size is a problem with them but Tracey seems to be doing pretty well.

The biggest problem with the offense this year is that the top two tight ends in college football left school early for the NFL and Iowa didn't have anyone who could adequately replace them. When Ohio State loses a player early, they just plug in another 5-star to take his place. Iowa has always been a developmental program where 3-star guys work their way up and play their best football as fifth-year seniors.

TJ Hockenson went from being the 7th-rated high school recruit in Iowa to the #8 overall pick in the NFL draft and left two years of eligibility on the table. If Iowa still had Hockenson and/or Fant, this offense would look very different and the team would be at least 7-2 and probably 8-1.
The lack of an NFL quality TE shouldn’t make your offense inept.

Insertjasonbatemanwhatwhatwhatgif. McNutt was slow as balls compared to ISM. McNutt had great hands, was kind of fast, and was a helluva college WR. ISM has the ability to runaway from people and he has shown the ability to make tough catches. I loved McNutt as a Hawk but ISM has a way higher NFL ceiling than McNutt ever did.
I think they should be trying to use ISM more. He’s made some really athletic plays this year and I have often wondered why they stop going to him or try to get him the ball. There is always a way to get a man open, if you scheme correctly.

If I had a time machine I would set it back to 1980, good times just around the corner...
RYM972-920x584.jpg

Some recent disappointments, but sometimes when you chase the next level, you end up with something worse.
We have stability and success. It would be fun to be better, but I would hate to be worse.
To your point, a decade ago Purdue fans were clamoring to replace Joe Tiller.

We are still digging out of that hole, although our THIRD coach since then is showing signs of promise.

Reactions: Pinehawk
Typically I’d agree and I’m far from a cliff jumper but it really feels like a long time since we’ve won a truly big game that mattered. That 2017 OSU game seems like forever ago.
Beating a ranked SEC opponent in a New Year's Day bowl didn't matter?

Reactions: jamesvanderwulf
To your point, a decade ago Purdue fans were clamoring to replace Joe Tiller.

We are still digging out of that hole, although our THIRD coach since then is showing signs of promise.

Iowa basketball got tired of losing in the second round of the NCAA basketball tournament every year.
20 years and three coaches later, we would like to be back in that situation.

The BTN has brought in so much money that winning doesnt matter and the black bottom line is the only way its judged

Reactions: TheCainer
Right now, yes. Size is a problem with them but Tracey seems to be doing pretty well.

He gets spacing.

Not a prototype receiver, but neither was Kevin Kasper - that guy could just set records in the shuttle drills. Maybe not straight-line burner speed, but shifty speed, and I agree, Tracey seems to have that.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT