ADVERTISEMENT

Not to sound like an old fart whining about how you used to be able to get a lunch for $5, but...

The other lunch I get most often is Thai, although that seems to be more like 12 or 13. Still though, fresh veggies, chunks of actual meat, etc.
It's a new place so I am sure the prices will jump in the near future. Of course, the sad fact is, I can buy like 15 boneless/skinless chicken breast at Costco for 20 bucks and make about 20 meals with vegetables for..another 10 dollars. Probably slightly healthier and of course not quite as tasty. 20 meals for the price of 3 or 2 lunches is a helluva return. Would have to accord prep and storage time of course as well.

It's a new place so I am sure the prices will jump in the near future. Of course, the sad fact is, I can buy like 15 boneless/skinless chicken breast at Costco for 20 bucks and make about 20 meals with vegetables for..another 10 dollars. Probably slightly healthier and of course not quite as tasty. 20 meals for the price of 3 or 2 lunches is a helluva return. Would have to accord prep and storage time of course as well.
It is cheaper but by the time you buy and prepare for consumption fresh ginger, garlic, and everything else, there is something to be said for the labor. I don't mind doing that on the weekends, for a nice meal, but a quick lunch once every other week or so I am willing to pay.

The places which charge you the same are surely giving you smaller portions, or they were previously marked up a ton, or they don't care if they will be in business going forward.

I haven't noticed a difference. If they increased prices it was minimal. Portions are still more than we can eat in one sitting.

I haven't noticed a difference. If they increased prices it was minimal. Portions are still more than we can eat in one sitting.

Interesting how the food is marked up if you order delivery. If I order a spicy chicken sandwich combo from Chic-fil-A for delivery, it is 13.33 plus tax for the sandwich only, plus a 4 dollar delivery fee plus 4 dollar tip so 22.25 for a sandwich and fries. If i order the same sandwich via drive-through, it is probably 8 bucks. So they are really charging a 9-dollar delivery fee with the food markup.

Last edited:
I pulled my credit card transactions going back to 1/1/2021 for the same restaurant where we consistently order the same or very similar meals. Two meals, sometimes a kids meal, and a pitcher of beer. Sometimes we don't get the kids meal.

DateAmount
3/16/2021​
-74.11​
5/4/2021​
-62.94​
6/7/2021​
-68.27​
7/6/2021​
-64.5​
8/2/2021​
-58.1​
9/13/2021​
-68.27​
9/21/2021​
-65.42​
11/8/2021​
-76.98​
1/10/2022​
-77.24​
2/28/2022​
-68.27​
3/7/2022​
-68.03​
5/16/2022​
-66.64​

Reactions: ping72
Interesting how the food is marked up if you order delivery. If I order a spicy chicken sandwich combo from chic fi le for delivery, it is 13.33 plus tax for the sandwich only, plus a 4 dollar delivery fee plus 4 dollar tip for 22.25 for a sandwich and fries. If i order the same sandwich via drive-through, it is probably 8 bucks. So they are really charging a 9-dollar delivery fee with the food markup.
During the height of the pandemic and the kids were doing school remotely, I would get credit card charge notifications for their doordash orders. Some of them were over $40 from CFA. I put an end to that.

It is cheaper but by the time you buy and prepare for consumption fresh ginger, garlic, and everything else, there is something to be said for the labor. I don't mind doing that on the weekends, for a nice meal, but a quick lunch once every other week or so I am willing to pay.
I cook in bulk for the week and will freeze maybe 20% of it. But I don't mind eating the same thing every day. Drives the wife crazy though.

I pulled my credit card transactions going back to 1/1/2021 for the same restaurant where we consistently order the same or very similar meals. Two meals, sometimes a kids meal, and a pitcher of beer. Sometimes we don't get the kids meal.

DateAmount
3/16/2021​
-74.11​
5/4/2021​
-62.94​
6/7/2021​
-68.27​
7/6/2021​
-64.5​
8/2/2021​
-58.1​
9/13/2021​
-68.27​
9/21/2021​
-65.42​
11/8/2021​
-76.98​
1/10/2022​
-77.24​
2/28/2022​
-68.27​
3/7/2022​
-68.03​
5/16/2022​
-66.64​

Dude, you need to branch out a bit...

Dude, you need to branch out a bit...

LOL yeah. I will say that's not that only place we go and I've had pretty much everything on the menu at the place I listed. The entree costs are within a few dollars of each other. My wife does almost always gets the exact same item at any restaurant we go to.

I looked at a few other restaurants we frequent but there's not enough data points and what we order varies more at those places.

This is one:

DateAmount
10/15/2021​
-118.37​
11/8/2021​
-137.34​
1/6/2022​
-98.17​
3/28/2022​
-49.93​

Another:

DateAmount
6/21/2021​
-99.78​
7/6/2021​
-126.05​
7/12/2021​
-56.23​
10/4/2021​
-112.99​

I very very rarely ever get fast food, but just this past Saturday I was in a situation where I needed to grab some otherwise I would’ve missed a meal.

I got 2 chicken jr’s from Burger King for less than $2.50 total. Seemed like a fair deal.

Outback used to sell their signature margarita for $5.

Now they're advertising it at $7 and acting like it's such a bargain.

You guys are still not accepting his failure? It’s proven in the data. You can throw some chart up showing a bunch of shithole countries’ inflation rates to deflect, but the research doesn’t lie.
Neither do those inflation rates for European countries which you guys won't accept because they don't fit the narrow narrative you're pushing.

• Haha
Reactions: NCHawk5
Neither do those inflation rates for European countries which you guys won't accept because they don't fit the narrow narrative you're pushing.
They’re a hell of a lot better comparison than the dumps of the world. But, hey, keep believing the most incompetent administration we have ever seen is just smarter than we realize. They. Are. Trash.

I honestly haven't noticed a difference yet. Dinner out still seems to come to about the same price as it did before the pandemic.
This. Same with groceries - are people just going in and buying a fixed list? Be flexible, plenty of good deals if you're flexible. Avacados were stupid expensive for awhile, didnt buy em until last week aldi had them for $0.65/ea. Chicken at fareway has been like $0.80/lb. Buy whichever fruit is on sale, etc. Rice is cheap, eggs are cheap, greens are cheap, etc.

I very very rarely ever get fast food, but just this past Saturday I was in a situation where I needed to grab some otherwise I would’ve missed a meal.

I got 2 chiꓘ'n chicken jr’s from Burger King for less than $2.50 total. Seemed like a fair deal.

FIFY

• Haha
Reactions: ping72
I’ve been traveling a bit lately so I’ve been having to partake in the fast food option a bit more than normal. A guy I know who eats out all the time gave me the hint of using their apps to order. Plenty of $5 meals to be had on those.

They’re a hell of a lot better comparison than the dumps of the world. But, hey, keep believing the most incompetent administration we have ever seen is just smarter than we realize. They. Are. Trash.
Keep pushing that narrow narrative. Is it hard to walk down the street with your blinders on?

• Haha
I’ve resigned myself to the fact that a simple takeout lunch is now at least $10-12, and often even more.

Reataurants are clearly trying to recover some of those costs through drink prices and shrinking portions and quality. Hardly seems worth it any longer.

Do you have a breaking point or do you just say screw it and pay whatever it costs?

I almost never eat out for lunch. It's a waste of money, and too many calories. Back when I went to the office every day I often would go to a nearby mall on Fridays and grab a NY Times from Barnes and Noble, then take a long lunch at Panda Express. But most days I would pack a light lunch or go home for a workout.

Keep pushing that narrow narrative. Is it hard to walk down the street with your blinders on?
Dawg, I’m an independent who will support any president who’s effective and doesn’t push extreme agendas. Biden isn’t an effective leader or decision maker. Never has been.

Ate there a lot in college. Two burgers, fries and a drink for less than a dollar. Only place that could compete was Henry's and their .15 cent burgers.
Ahhhhh Henry's
Loved their .15 cent burgers and a pound of fries back then was what .45 cents

I've gotten to the point that the only thing I'll eat out is sushi, because I don't want to go through the many hassles involved with making sushi. Even with dumbing down the order to simple maki or nigiri, I'm still at $30/head for takeout.

Everything else can be made at home, taste better, be better for you, be made from source/not processed, and at 25% of the cost of eating out. Added bonus is that you almost never get sick from what you eat.

OP needs McDonald's app. They send you offers all day long and probably steal your data. And in return, you can get:

20 pc Chicken McNuggets for $5 (not good with any other offer)
Or $1 large fries then a la carte McChicken or McDouble
Or looks like they now have $3.50 combo options with McChicken, McDouble, 4 piece McNugget, and small fries (no drink)

Last one looks like it's just the regular menu so wouldn't need the app.

I went to a restaurant in Kalona, Iowa (small town). It cost me $264 plus tips (for 4 people). We tipped $80. They charged a 4% credit card fee. I noticed that others in my neck of the woods are doing this.

• Love
I went to a restaurant in Kalona, Iowa (small town). It cost me $264 plus tips (for 4 people). We tipped $80. They charged a 4% credit card fee. I noticed that others in my neck of the woods are doing this.
A steak house we went to does this also. I went in with $400 cash for a family of 6 and dropped about $260. I forgot how much I liked credit card. Counting out piles of $20’s at the register to make sure you got the correct amount is a pain.

Reactions: GOHOX69
Bra, cc fees are built into prices everywhere. Biggest scam in the world is the consumer credit industry. Businesses should do this shit all the time and take down the pricks that prey on the financially irresponsible.

Bra, cc fees are built into prices everywhere. Biggest scam in the world is the consumer credit industry. Businesses should do this shit all the time and take down the pricks that prey on the financially irresponsible.
I agree with you. I just think this 4% offset, as it were, is here to stay.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT