ADVERTISEMENT

Now I can see why CJF, Nunge and Weezey leaving

94a.jpg

Assuming OP is speaking of the Ash scholarship.

Nepotism is something that will forever be debated unless Connor were to get surprisingly high or surprisingly low minutes next season. In that case, the debate, by all rights, should be put to rest.

As for the Ash scholly, it's pretty understandable how that is frustrating fans. Granted, none of us are know the inner workings of it all. Good for Austin, and if Fran wasn't planning on adding more players, then Ash's scholly makes a bit more sense. Then again, how many other coaches in the country do we see doing things like this?

Certainly not a dumb take to be frustrated by this

Let me interpret it for you since u SLOW AF. Fran didn’t pursue a guard like Marcus Carr or others in the portal because he knows Connor wouldnt see the court or that Perkins might get mad at him. To waste a scholarship on a walk-on instead of helping this young team is a Lazy a$$ bit&@ move by Fran. He is very content just to make the tourney and knows he ain’t going no where with the contract extension. What a Stupid BS move after people were already pissed with the embarrassing Oregon loss and CJ’s departure. We needed some serious help at the guard position; someone who is a slasher and can defend. But apparently Fran thinks short/slow Bohannon and mr. mop-up duty can fill the void. Perkins has potential but he is young and inexperienced. Clearly some players have lost trust and confidence in Fran’s decision-making, nepotism, and blind loyalty.

I came to the conclusion that Fran wasn't the guy to take us to next level about 3 years ago, and then Garza came along giving us false hope. Now it's back to reality. It does no good to say I want him gone but portal ineptitude is strike 3 on top of shitty defensive coaching and amazing nepotism/favoritism lately.

18-19 was really bad too when he was bringing in connor for moss during crunch time causing moss to transfer most likely. I'll always watch but I'm back to not much enthusiasm at all like pre garza. If Hawks miss dance Fran will deserve the criticism, tons of opportunities passing us by in portal

Let me interpret it for you since u SLOW AF. Fran didn’t pursue a guard like Marcus Carr or others in the portal because he knows Connor wouldnt see the court or that Perkins might get mad at him. To waste a scholarship on a walk-on instead of helping this young team is a Lazy a$$ bit&@ move by Fran. He is very content just to make the tourney and knows he ain’t going no where with the contract extension. What a Stupid BS move after people were already pissed with the embarrassing Oregon loss and CJ’s departure. We needed some serious help at the guard position; someone who is a slasher and can defend. But apparently Fran thinks short/slow Bohannon and mr. mop-up duty can fill the void. Perkins has potential but he is young and inexperienced. Clearly some players have lost trust and confidence in Fran’s decision-making, nepotism, and blind loyalty.
This is a move by a coach who really has no intention of competing for league titles or deep tourney runs.

The same number of fans will buy tickets and merch and tune in whether Iowa is in 3d place or 9th place. Everyone knows it.

This is an also ran program. We’ve seen the ceiling. Could be worse (Lickliter blah blah blah).

Enjoy it if you can. After 42 years since the last conference title and 22 years since the last sweet sixteen, I’m frankly starting to lose the plot.

Last edited:
This is a move by a coach who really has no intention of competing for league titles or deep tourney runs.

The same number of fans will buy tickets and merch and tune in whether Iowa is in 3d place or 9th place. Everyone knows it.

This is an also ran program. We’ve seen the ceiling. Could be worse (Lickliter blah blah blah).

Enjoy it if you can. I frankly don’t see the point.
One thing that could be a factor for bringing back Austin is Iowa's recruiting for the 2022 class. Austin Ashe is apparently a great representative of Iowa Basketball. He may have had a determining factor in Garza having selected Iowa out of High School and may have had positive impacts to other players that chose to come to Iowa. Austin Ashe is by all accounts very enthusiastic about Iowa Basketball and a very positive presence on and off the court.

This could also be a move by Fran to try to fix some of the negativity that has come to the program because of the disappointment in the NCAA tournament. It may help recruiting and morale having Austin back on the team and it could certainly help having an upperclassmen that can help with the prep work for isolating the weaknesses of Iowa's upcoming opponents. Austin has great confidence with his shooting so he may be of help there as well but I feel that his enthusiasm and his positive attitude may be of greater importance to the psyche of the team.

One thing that could be a factor for bringing back Austin is Iowa's recruiting for the 2022 class. Austin Ashe is apparently a great representative of Iowa Basketball. He may have had a determining factor in Garza having selected Iowa out of High School and may have had positive impacts to other players that chose to come to Iowa. Austin Ashe is by all accounts very enthusiastic about Iowa Basketball and a very positive presence on and off the court.

This could also be a move by Fran to try to fix some of the negativity that has come to the program because of the disappointment in the NCAA tournament. It may help recruiting and morale having Austin back on the team and it could certainly help having an upperclassmen that can help with the prep work for isolating the weaknesses of Iowa's upcoming opponents. Austin has great confidence with his shooting so he may be of help there as well but I feel that his enthusiasm and his positive attitude may be of greater importance to the psyche of the team.
Sigh

Good effort trying to add a positive spin on this mind boggling, idiotic move by Fran. Getting blasted by Oregon should have created more urgency to bring in quick, athletic guards. It’s like a slap in the face to fans who are still embarrassed by the beat down and the shock of your best guard transferring. It’s shi$ like this that will cause fans to lose interest in Iowa basketball like the Lickliter years. I’ve completely lost faith that Fran can take us past the first weekend of the tournament or sniff a BIG championship. I’m one pissed off alum and hawkeye fan!

I get the frustration. I said we could have used another combo guard, even a transfer similar to Bakari Evelyn would have been decent to fill out the roster if you can’t get a big time player. Instead we reward a walkon and roll the dice for the upcoming season with a team that is probably middle of the pack in the Big Ten at best. With the lineup below we’ll have three scholarships available for next year barring transfers. I guess Fran’s idea is that we make sure we have enough scholarships to take advantage of recruiting then.

Guards: Joe T, Ulis, JBo, Perkins, Ash
Forwards: Sandfort, McCaffery, McCaffery, Murray, Murray
Bigs: Ogundele, Mulvey, Rebraca

Our recruiting is trending in the wrong direction though. The previous 3 seasons we’ve had three 4-star players on the roster with some combo between Pat, Cook, Garza, and Joe W. And the latter three were all instant starters when they walked on campus. Pat is the only 4 star player on the roster next year and in his third year in the team he may not even be starting.

I’m going to support the team, but this feels like waving the white flag and voluntarily taking the program a step back instead of continually working to make the team better. We’re replacing Joe W with Sandfort, Garza with Rebraca and Mulvey, and CJ with a walkon who shouldn’t be playing anything more than mop up duty. Every one of those is a step down which is expected, but that last one is gigantic.

May have missed it, did Wezy announce he was truly leaving or is he still checking things out?

I came to the conclusion that Fran wasn't the guy to take us to next level about 3 years ago, and then Garza came along giving us false hope. Now it's back to reality. It does no good to say I want him gone but portal ineptitude is strike 3 on top of shitty defensive coaching and amazing nepotism/favoritism lately.

18-19 was really bad too when he was bringing in connor for moss during crunch time causing moss to transfer most likely. I'll always watch but I'm back to not much enthusiasm at all like pre garza. If Hawks miss dance Fran will deserve the criticism, tons of opportunities passing us by in portal

I have news for you. It's extremely unlikely Iowa will get to the "next level" considering Iowa has barely been at the next level in it's history. Other than a span in the 80s and 2 years in the 50s, this is as good as any other time in their history.

• Sad
Reactions: redbirdhawk
I like seeing a young man like Austin get a scholly. I think it is symptom of Fran being a dud when it comes to Spring roster moves/Portal, although Rebraca was a nice surprise.

Enjoy it if you can. After 42 years since the last conference title and 22 years since the last sweet sixteen, I’m frankly starting to lose the plot.

Honestly, I try to enjoy the seasons. There was a lot to enjoy last year. I get frustrated when they lose, but I am able to let it go. It is actually harder to read this board and read the constant complaining by you and others.

Last season did not end as we would have hoped, but Iowa was in the top ten for most of the season. We could see that they had limitations, which unfortunately was their downfall. There were a lot of naysayers on this board Who wanted to see more of Joe T, Ahron and Tony. Now these same people are complaining that Fran is not bringing in transfers. I will root for Fran as long as he is Iowa’s coach. If that changes, I will root for the new coach.

Last edited:
This is the 13th scholarship. Who do you guys think is going to transfer in as the 13 player on the team? I take this to mean that Fran feels good about the team he has and the team chemistry. We will see, but getting upset over who is getting the last scholarship is looking for something to bitch about.
Bingo! Also LOL and these idiots acting like fran is lazy and doesn’t want to win.

Assuming OP is speaking of the Ash scholarship.

Nepotism is something that will forever be debated unless Connor were to get surprisingly high or surprisingly low minutes next season. In that case, the debate, by all rights, should be put to rest.

As for the Ash scholly, it's pretty understandable how that is frustrating fans. Granted, none of us are know the inner workings of it all. Good for Austin, and if Fran wasn't planning on adding more players, then Ash's scholly makes a bit more sense. Then again, how many other coaches in the country do we see doing things like this?

Certainly not a dumb take to be frustrated by this
If Connor were a more skilled player there would be no talk of nepotism because Patrick is very skilled and I don’t think it’s nepotism with Patrick

Reactions: Greenway4Prez
This is the 13th scholarship. Who do you guys think is going to transfer in as the 13 player on the team? I take this to mean that Fran feels good about the team he has and the team chemistry. We will see, but getting upset over who is getting the last scholarship is looking for something to bitch about.
This. Also the same fans complaining about giving Ash a scholarship are the same fans who rant and rave about Fran playing too many players. Now they want to add a 13th?

This. Also the same fans complaining about giving Ash a scholarship are the same fans who rant and rave about Fran playing too many players. Now they want to add a 13th?

These will also be the same fans complaining if Tony, Joe or Ahron leave because Fran brought in a transfer. Got to have something to complain about.

Fran is trying to give the younger guys the opportunity to step and be a major contributor. After CJ leaving we had two weak spots, center and shooting guard. He filled tried to solve the center position by bringing in Rebraca and having Mulvey come early. We have three guys to fill that spot. And Rebraca can play the PF position as well. For SG, rather than bring someone in that would want a high number of minutes, he decided to bring back JBo and Ash just in case the young players are unable to make 3's. I personal think it was the right thing to do if we don't want to lose more players to the portal. Worse case scenario is we get to watch the Ash and JBo half court shooting contest.

Just because there is only 1 ride left doesn't mean you limit your search to guys that would be 13th on the roster. Bring in the best available player you can get even if it means knocking the current guys down a peg.

If Ash was the best guy Fran could get out of the portal at this point with a scholly then yikes.

I have absolutely no problem with giving a scholarship to Ash. He's worked hard as a walk-on for 4 years and there's a scholarship available. Fran has a history of doing this to senior walk-ons (e.g., Riley Till).

Going into the 'off-season' Fran was looking specifically to get a post-player, and I think that was it. Robbins would've been nice, but Rebraca is a quality player, and with Mulvey reclassifying, the post-position seems adequate.

Sure, if a Joe Wieskamp clone was available and wanted to come to Iowa, he'd bring him in. However, I think he felt comfortable otherwise with CJ at the shooting guard spot and the crop of guards already in the mix. From what I've been told by a local sportscaster, Kris Murray will be a very pleasant surprise filling in some of the role that Wieskamp played (note, I didn't say he was going to be getting 15 ppg, just that he has some skills similar to JW).

Unexpectedly, CJ leaves, and the shooting guard spot is open. If Bohannon had said "no thanks, I got this new gig with AARP starting in June" then I'm confident Fran would've gone through the portal much stronger to get another shooting guard. But, Bohannon is available and essentially is slotted into CJ's vacated position. So, really nothing changed.

Wieskamp's plan all along was to go pro after this year.

CJ's reasons for leaving, we may never know. Could be malfeasance, could be missing family, something of a personal nature happened, who knows.

As far as Nunge leaving, that kid has endured a lot over the past couple of years and I was not at all surprised he left.

I have absolutely no problem with giving a scholarship to Ash. He's worked hard as a walk-on for 4 years and there's a scholarship available. Fran has a history of doing this to senior walk-ons (e.g., Riley Till).

Till actually played meaningful minutes and was our 9th man in games that year after Pemsl went down with injuries.

Till also never put his name in the portal as a walk on in search of more playing time and then was brought back from the portal on scholarship.

Honestly, I try to enjoy the seasons. There was a lot to enjoy last year. I get frustrated when they lose, but I am able to let it go. It is actually harder to read this board and read the constant complaining by you and others.

Last season did not end as we would have hoped, but Iowa was in the top ten for most of the season. We could see that they had limitations, which unfortunately was their downfall. There were a lot of naysayers on this board Who wanted to see more of Joe T, Ahron and Tony. Now these same people are complaining that Fran is not bringing in transfers. I will root for Fran as long as he is Iowa’s coach. If that changes, I will root for the new coach.
I don’t root for coaches. I root for teams.

If you can continue to “enjoy the seasons” season after season for literally decades without Iowa ever winning anything or even making the second weekend of the tourney... well ... I’m frankly ambivalent about that. I mean ... obviously it’s good for you. You have a comparably low bar for entertainment and enjoyment. That makes for a pleasant, lower-stress life in general. Congratulations.

Is it good for the program? If there are tens of thousands of fans like you (and I think that there are), I just don’t see how it can be.

That’s what I meant by my comment that the same number of fans will tune in whether Iowa is third or ninth. From the administration to the AD to the coaches to the players all the way down to the fat @ss fans stuffing ice cream down their necks ... there is no real expectation to actually compete at the highest level ...well... ever.

With no payoff ever expected, it gets harder and harder for me to “enjoy the seasons” Garza made it easy last year. Going forward....? Watching Fran’s sons develop and walk ons “earn” schollys for giving it their best for three years ....just doesn’t do it for me.

I don’t root for coaches. I root for teams.

If you can continue to “enjoy the seasons” season after season for literally decades without Iowa ever winning anything or even making the second weekend of the tourney... well ... I’m frankly ambivalent about that. I mean ... obviously it’s good for you. You have a comparably low bar for entertainment and enjoyment. That makes for a pleasant, lower-stress life in general. Congratulations.

Is it good for the program? If there are tens of thousands of fans like you (and I think that there are), I just don’t see how it can be.

That’s what I meant by my comment that the same number of fans will tune in whether Iowa is third or ninth. From the administration to the AD to the coaches to the players all the way down to the fat @ss fans stuffing ice cream down their necks ... there is no real expectation to actually compete at the highest level ...well... ever.

With no payoff ever expected, it gets harder and harder for me to “enjoy the seasons” Garza made it easy last year. Going forward....? Watching Fran’s sons develop and walk ons “earn” schollys for giving it their best for three years ....just doesn’t do it for me.
It wasn't easy to enjoy when certain teams would pick on Garza on the defensive side of the floor. Dana Altman knew enough to run a bunch of pick-&-rolls on Bohannon & Garza because it was barbeque chicken.

The nepotism and blind loyalty is beyond ridiculous. Fran looks like an IDIOT!!!

All these guard transfers available and he brings back a walk on player on scholarship.

I used to love Fran but now I want him gone!
So what you're saying is you want a 10-11 man rotation to bitch about next season?

Reactions: SB_SB
If JW returns this move is moot, and may actually lean to the side of "the right thing to do"

I agree none of us want to see a 12/13 man rotation. Rewarding someone for hard work and dedication should be celebrated instead of jeered.

Now if JW fails to return, then Fran should look for one more shooter with ability to play D.

Rewarding someone for hard work and dedication should be celebrated instead of jeered.
It’s a nice high horse to climb on but.... should it though? In this context? Should it be celebrated?

I mean... at one extreme you have a program like Kentucky with five and four stars up and down the roster while Cal literally NEVER STOPS RECRUITING OVER MOST OF THEM. He never stops. The fans are not only ok with this, they demand it.

At the other extreme, you have something like this. Giving a scholly to a good kid who is unlikely to really help your team outside of practice (while the transfer portal is literally chock full of better players).

Now... I think most reasonable people find Kentucky’s approach troubling. But there has to be a happy medium somewhere if we ever plan on actually winning something in the next 20 years.

Fran isn’t here to be a nice guy and to reward loyalty. He’s here to win basketball games.

Isn’t he?

Till actually played meaningful minutes and was our 9th man in games that year after Pemsl went down with injuries.

Till also never put his name in the portal as a walk on in search of more playing time and then was brought back from the portal on scholarship.
Till played meaningful minutes BECAUSE there were so few available scholarship players. He deserved the scholarship, though, in my opinion.

I just don't understand why anyone would be upset about Ash's return from the transfer portal and being given a scholarship. Iowa has a limit of 14 scholarships this season. They still have one available. If Wieskamp decides the NBA isn't a viable option and he wants to come back, great, welcome him with open arms. If Bryce Thompson calls Fran, then you answer the call. However, I just don't think Iowa was going to get a top-notch SG/wing from the portal for a variety of reasons.

Name two.
Wieskamp's lack of a definitive decision on staying or going. Remember, he hasn't signed with an agent, so there's still a possibility of him returning.

CJ had been slotted into the starting shooting guard position until recently. The connections with those in the portal had been established for several weeks already when CJ abruptly left.

You can disagree with those, and I'm fine with that. Those are just my opinions.

Wieskamp's lack of a definitive decision on staying or going. Remember, he hasn't signed with an agent, so there's still a possibility of him returning.

CJ had been slotted into the starting shooting guard position until recently. The connections with those in the portal had been established for several weeks already when CJ abruptly left.

You can disagree with those, and I'm fine with that. Those are just my opinions.
Excuses for not trying... reasons... same difference.

Reactions: wbrhawkeye
It’s a nice high horse to climb on but.... should it though? In this context? Should it be celebrated?

I mean... at one extreme you have a program like Kentucky with five and four stars up and down the roster while Cal literally NEVER STOPS RECRUITING OVER MOST OF THEM. He never stops. The fans are not only ok with this, they demand it.

At the other extreme, you have something like this. Giving a scholly to a good kid who is unlikely to really help your team outside of practice (while the transfer portal is literally chock full of better players).

Now... I think most reasonable people find Kentucky’s approach troubling. But there has to be a happy medium somewhere if we ever plan on actually winning something in the next 20 years.

Fran isn’t here to be a nice guy and to reward loyalty. He’s here to win basketball games.

Isn’t he?
Kentucky and Iowa aren’t even close to an apples to apples comparison, and even Kentucky was a lot better when they were bringing in a bunch of 4* and 5* freshmen and mixing them in with guys who’d been there for a couple years, versus working the transfer portal. Two of their three best players last year were transfers (an ex-Creighton guy and an ex-Wake Forest guy) and their team was below .500 in conference play. The season before when they were 15-3 in conference? 1 transfer player who was there for depth and played 6th man minutes. 0 seniors in their starting lineup

Iowa State under Hoiberg is the only team that I have seen consistently field winners recruiting a bunch of current players in the transfer portal, and I’m convinced that he only experienced this success because he was the first to do it. Iowa brought in a likely starter from the transfer portal this year, and it made sense because there was a glaring hole there. It doesn’t make sense to recruit over anybody else besides maybe our coach’s elder son, who should be the third or fourth man off the bench... of course, this will never happen

Reactions: mstp1992 and SB_SB
Iowa State under Hoiberg is the only team that I have seen consistently field winners recruiting a bunch of current players in the transfer portal, and I’m convinced that he only experienced this success because he was the first to do it. Iowa brought in a likely starter from the transfer portal this year, and it made sense because there was a glaring hole there. It doesn’t make sense to recruit over anybody else besides maybe our coach’s elder son, who should be the third or fourth man off the bench... of course, this will never happen

There are teams that are successful right now grabbing players out of the portal every year to start.

Beard, Few, Altman, Mussleman, Oats just to name a few.

Reactions: wbrhawkeye
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT