ADVERTISEMENT

Now That the Season is Over, Who Transfers Out?

Bit surprised at the level of hate for Ulis. Saw someone say Ulis transferring was his number one wish. He was pretty average but don’t think he hurt us much. I also give him credit for stepping into the role after Joe T jumped ship and Payton struggled early. You could tell the difference from him running the offense vs Bowen as a young freshman. However, I think Bowen will be very good and we’d benefit a lot if he stays and ends up at least grabbing an equal amount of minutes.

Reactions: Bishop1971
Bit surprised at the level of hate for Ulis. Saw someone say Ulis transferring was his number one wish. He was pretty average but don’t think he hurt us much. I also give him credit for stepping into the role after Joe T jumped ship and Payton struggled early. You could tell the difference from him running the offense vs Bowen as a young freshman. However, I think Bowen will be very good and we’d benefit a lot if he stays and ends up at least grabbing an equal amount of minutes.
I haven't seen anyone say they hate Ulis. He's not a great player. That's not hating. That's stating a fact. Bowen was worse.

The rules have changed. We have the NIL, the money, in a power conference, national visibility. You want guaranteed ride for all 4 years then then go to a mid-major. This is high-major, D1 basketball.
I don't disagree actually, but times have certainly changed.

Reactions: skydog0784
Illinois had a guy announce he was entering the transfer portal 10 minutes after his team was bounced from the dance. Players unhappy with their situations have likely been planning their exit strategies for months. So now that Iowa's season has come to an unceremonious conclusion, losing 3 in a row to some really poor teams, which players are most likely to seek opportunities elsewhere? Here they are in order of most likely to leave.

1. Ogundele (75% likelihood of transfer). Josh is the most likely to announce his transfer. He already tried once, last year, but when not a single suiter came calling, he crawled back to Iowa with his tail between his legs and promised Fran he'd work hard to get in better shape. A year later, Ogundele played in just a hand full of games (which is shocking considering he plays a position of need) and showed little to no improvement over last year. My guess is, Fran sits down with the kid, wishes him luck, and sends him off to a school like Drake that can utilize his size.

2. Bowen (33% likelihood of transfer). Came in with a good amount of hype (and confidence) as a top 20 point guard recruit. While he played quite a bit early on, he saw his minutes dramatically diminish in favor of Fran's son, who started playing more and more. With 18 year olds, ego is everything and I don't think Fran handled Bowen's playing time well at all. There was about a 10 game stretch where Bowen didn't even leave the bench (even though he finished the season 2nd on the team in shooting %), despite some wide margin wins and losses in that time. Look for Bowen to seek out a fresh start, as he's likely not happy with his treatment this year.

3. Perkins (25% likelihood of transfer). There was just something about Perkins' demeanor this year that led me to believe he's unhappy at Iowa. With his occasional flashes of brilliance, he may try to parlay that into some NIL money at a school in need of a scorer. His game reminds me a lot of Isaiah Moss, who had a 32 point game as a freshmen (but only averaged 6 points per game), declared for the NBA as a sophomore before coming back, then transferred to Kansas for his senior year.

4. Mulvey (10% likelihood of transfer). Mulvey actually agreed to give up his senior year of high school basketball to come straight to Iowa because Fran told him he'd get immediate playing time. Instead, Mulvey played about 5 minutes his entire freshmen year and a year of eligibility was burned for nothing. During the offseason, Mulvey was expected to bulk up and greatly improve his game. Unfortunately, a second year of eligibility went by and he never played a meaningful minute (he only played 50 minutes total). If Mulvey resents skipping a year of high school where he could have been the star of his team in favor of being the 12th man off Iowa's bench, or if he resents his lack of playing time his sophomore year, I think he could transfer to a Missouri Valley school and be an instant starter.
I get a kick out of all you yahoos pretending to know what’s going on behind the scenes of Iowa basketball.

Reactions: Hendy hawk
Uhlis and Bowen. One will leave for sure if not two. They know exactly what they see coming in Dix and Harding. Future union card members.

Bowen made freshman mistakes and didn't get a chance (right or wrong) to play through them.
You play to win. You play your best players. Bowen got substantial minutes earlier in the season when the games weren't competitive. He didn't progress enough to garner substantial minutes after that. He was the lowest player on the team in conference play with a PER of 1.7. If you think that warranted more minutes in conference play I'm not sure what to say. Hopefully he gets a lot better over the off season.

Illinois had a guy announce he was entering the transfer portal 10 minutes after his team was bounced from the dance.
If you mean Skyy Clark, he was already in the portal and announced his commitment to Louisville. He had left the team back in November. Wouldn't be surprised to see more guys leave because that seems to be the world we're in now.

I really hope that Josh O and Mulvey don't return to just hold the bench down. Either return and contribute or find playing time at a lower level

Love it.

One gets in 11 out of 33 games for 6.5 min. per. The other gets in 12 games for 4 min. per. Pretty F’n hard to contribute when the chances are that limited because they’re sitting while an undersized overworked Rebraca is playing his ass off this year and needing a breather during games.

On court experience with meaningful minutes would have gone a long way to see what they really have. Saw it once, a year ago in the BIG Championship game was the ONLY extended time on court for 23. Pretty much everything else was mop up with the rest of the bench.

Pretty sure Francis isn’t going to develop either one.

Reactions: vamchawk
I'm hoping Mulvey and Big O transfer and Fran uses the portal.
Just don't see it with Mulvey - hope I'm wrong
So, in the limited time that Mulvey played during the non-conference schedule you formed the opinion that Riley, in no way, could be a major contributor in the 2 years he has left, just because Fran didn't play him during the Big Ten schedule.. Got it! It wouldn't be because Kris and Pilip played the same position that Riley does, no, not in your mind.
Whatever you do, you're in the wrong business, you should start a new profession going around the country advising players that don't get playing time to move on, because in your opinion they're no good.
I'm sure you'd have plenty of players that would listen to you...ha, ha....NOT!!

I'm worried that Bowen will move on. I'm not sure JoshO does, he came back to Iowa after dipping his toes in the portal and didn't show anyone else any reason to offer him this year if he went back in.
I pray JO transfers or just quits. He has added nothing along with Mulvey. I would love to see Fran gone too but if the higher ups don't have the balls to do that then the fan base is in an extended funk.

The first domino has fallen in Ogundale entering the portal. The team is genuinely better off and now has an extra scholly available to find a Big 10 caliber player from the portal with the work ethic needed to play high level basketball.

Illinois had a guy announce he was entering the transfer portal 10 minutes after his team was bounced from the dance. Players unhappy with their situations have likely been planning their exit strategies for months. So now that Iowa's season has come to an unceremonious conclusion, losing 3 in a row to some really poor teams, which players are most likely to seek opportunities elsewhere? Here they are in order of most likely to leave.

1. Ogundele (75% likelihood of transfer). Josh is the most likely to announce his transfer. He already tried once, last year, but when not a single suiter came calling, he crawled back to Iowa with his tail between his legs and promised Fran he'd work hard to get in better shape. A year later, Ogundele played in just a hand full of games (which is shocking considering he plays a position of need) and showed little to no improvement over last year. My guess is, Fran sits down with the kid, wishes him luck, and sends him off to a school like Drake that can utilize his size.

2. Bowen (33% likelihood of transfer). Came in with a good amount of hype (and confidence) as a top 20 point guard recruit. While he played quite a bit early on, he saw his minutes dramatically diminish in favor of Fran's son, who started playing more and more. With 18 year olds, ego is everything and I don't think Fran handled Bowen's playing time well at all. There was about a 10 game stretch where Bowen didn't even leave the bench (even though he finished the season 2nd on the team in shooting %), despite some wide margin wins and losses in that time. Look for Bowen to seek out a fresh start, as he's likely not happy with his treatment this year.

3. Perkins (25% likelihood of transfer). There was just something about Perkins' demeanor this year that led me to believe he's unhappy at Iowa. With his occasional flashes of brilliance, he may try to parlay that into some NIL money at a school in need of a scorer. His game reminds me a lot of Isaiah Moss, who had a 32 point game as a freshmen (but only averaged 6 points per game), declared for the NBA as a sophomore before coming back, then transferred to Kansas for his senior year.

4. Mulvey (10% likelihood of transfer). Mulvey actually agreed to give up his senior year of high school basketball to come straight to Iowa because Fran told him he'd get immediate playing time. Instead, Mulvey played about 5 minutes his entire freshmen year and a year of eligibility was burned for nothing. During the offseason, Mulvey was expected to bulk up and greatly improve his game. Unfortunately, a second year of eligibility went by and he never played a meaningful minute (he only played 50 minutes total). If Mulvey resents skipping a year of high school where he could have been the star of his team in favor of being the 12th man off Iowa's bench, or if he resents his lack of playing time his sophomore year, I think he could transfer to a Missouri Valley school and be an instant starter.
Lol Clark hadn’t been with the team for months.

Bowen and Mulvey aren't transferring. You're clueless. Uhlis was losing his starting job so he is transferring and Josh O is for the same reason he did last year. To get some minutes for a small school. Not sure UNI would even want him. Don't forsee any more players transferring but never know what Fran has told them what he has planned for the team and what portal players he's going after. Bowen isn't leaving the team. He's been interviewed and said first year was to adjust to college ball and get his body built up. No offense @iowalaw but you are always making posts that are strictly for insulting whatever sport you are posting on. You never say anything positive. How about the amount of talent we have coming in next year and add Evan Braun plus the portal players we still are getting and it is the best incoming group of players Fran has ever had.

I don't think Tony transfers. Hopefully he really works on his shot in the off season. With Uhlis, Josh, and Kris gone we have 3 scholarships available. Let's fill them with some really good players. We are definitely in on some players that could make a huge impact. Plus we have a great incoming class of freshman. It's possible we improve from this season.

Reactions: Jprimus
I don't think Tony transfers. Hopefully he really works on his shot in the off season. With Uhlis, Josh, and Kris gone we have 3 scholarships available. Let's fill them with some really good players. We are definitely in on some players that could make a huge impact. Plus we have a great incoming class of freshman. It's possible we improve from this season.
Tony is our best player on the roster. Followed by Sandfort. Not sure why Tony would transfer.

Tony is our best player on the roster. Followed by Sandfort. Not sure why Tony would transfer.

Plenty of reasons.

1) His two best friends on the team were Big O and Ulis. Doesn't bode well that they left.

2) I know people are excited about the freshman, but (as freshman) I don't see any of them being capable of replacing the production we lose between Kris and Rebraca. Next year could be rough.

3) Tony will be HEAVILY recruited if he goes to the portal. He had almost no power 5 interest in high school but will have coaches lining up at his door this time around. That's got to be enticing.

I personally don't want him to leave. He would be our unquestionable go-to guy next year. But I wouldn't blame Tony one second for wanting spend his last 1-2 years elsewhere.

Last edited:
Bowen and Mulvey aren't transferring. You're clueless. Uhlis was losing his starting job so he is transferring and Josh O is for the same reason he did last year. To get some minutes for a small school. Not sure UNI would even want him. Don't forsee any more players transferring but never know what Fran has told them what he has planned for the team and what portal players he's going after. Bowen isn't leaving the team. He's been interviewed and said first year was to adjust to college ball and get his body built up. No offense @iowalaw but you are always making posts that are strictly for insulting whatever sport you are posting on. You never say anything positive. How about the amount of talent we have coming in next year and add Evan Braun plus the portal players we still are getting and it is the best incoming group of players Fran has ever had.
And Bishop you are the opposite of Iowalaw...The talent coming in will not get Iowa to the second weekend of the NCAAs. Have you watched the tournament in the last ten years? It is guard dominated. We need athletic guards who can defend lights out on the perimeter and dribble and drive to either kick out or pull up and nail mid range jump shots. Perkins against Illinois with a lot more consistency. Fran hasn't figured it out yet.

Yeah, i agree. Never understood the posts that he was probably leaving. He's in a great situation for him and is definitely a starter next season. I haven't heard anything negative from him or about him

Bowen made freshman mistakes and didn't get a chance (right or wrong) to play through them.
I like Bowen a lot but you work through your mistakes early in the season, not during the Big Ten schedule. He clearly was not ready to handle the on ball pressure. Now if he goes on to become a top guard, everyone can have their revisionist history and say what if he played from Day 1?

Interesting take.

You say with ignorant certainty (and inappropriate rage) that Uhlis was losing his starting job and that's why he left. He lost it to whom? He averaged 23 minutes per game this year despite being a complete non-factor in every facet of the game. The only other player who brought the ball down the court aside from Uhlis was Connor, and he graduated.

If Fran planned on having Bowen overtake Uhlis and showed Uhlis the door, explain to me why Fran chose to play Bowen just:

4 min; 3 min; 1 min; 3 min; 3 min in his last five Big 10 games?

Ya think successful coach would give all the experience and playing time to a guy who was leaving and stick the future star on the bench to learn by osmosis? Nope. That makes no sense and generally prompts a transfer. Or perhaps you think a true freshmen from small town Illinois was promised a spot in the starting lineup over a senior starter? Sure.

Next, you cry "you are always insulting and never say anything positive" in very the same paragraph you say "UNI wouldn't even want" a guy who's been on scholarship at Iowa for the past 3 years while calling a poster "clueless" for not agreeing with an opinion of yours. lol

You call yourself Bishop but your argue effectively is more at the level of a Pawn.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: HawkOn15
And Bishop you are the opposite of Iowalaw...The talent coming in will not get Iowa to the second weekend of the NCAAs. Have you watched the tournament in the last ten years? It is guard dominated. We need athletic guards who can defend lights out on the perimeter and dribble and drive to either kick out or pull up and nail mid range jump shots. Perkins against Illinois with a lot more consistency. Fran hasn't figured it out yet.
With Perkins and Nimmers plus possible another guard from the portal we will be better next season at the guard positions. That's just fact. What we need is a good center and depending on the portal we are an improved team. And i am the opposite of Iowalaw. I'm not a troll hating on the Hawkeyes

• Haha
Reactions: flynnhicks03
Interesting take.

You say with ignorant certainty (and inappropriate rage) that Uhlis was losing his starting job and that's why he left. He lost it to whom? He averaged 23 minutes per game this year despite being a complete non-factor in every facet of the game. The only other player who brought the ball down the court aside from Uhlis was Connor, and he graduated.

If Fran planned on having Bowen overtake Uhlis and showed Uhlis the door, explain to me why Fran chose to play Bowen just:

4 min; 3 min; 1 min; 3 min; 3 min

in his last five Big 10 games? Ya think successful coach like Fran would want to give all the experience and playing time to a guy who was leaving and stick the future star on the bench to learn by osmosis? Nope. That makes no sense. Or perhaps you think a true freshmen was promised a spot in the starting lineup to replace a senior starter? Sure.

Next, you cry "you are always insulting and never say anything positive" in very the same paragraph you say "UNI wouldn't even want" a guy who's been on scholarship at Iowa for the past 3 years while calling a poster "clueless" for not agreeing with an opinion of yours. lol

You call yourself Bishop but your argue effectively is more at the level of a Pawn.
I doubt i said clueless. I don't use nane calling and Nimmers is probably replacing Uhlis. More athletic and better in every aspect of the game, making an assessment based on stats and practices. Maybe Bowen improves to get more minutes but he's not transferring. And pawn? Really, lol. I don't think you have said anything positive about the football or basketball team as long as i can remember. You strike me as being similar to the nebby trolls that wander over. In fact one of your posts on the football board had only Nebraska fans agreeing with it. Might be a clue as to your disposition towards all things Iowa. And try Bishop the superhero. I hate chess.

With Perkins and Nimmers plus possible another guard from the portal we will be better next season at the guard positions. That's just fact. What we need is a good center and depending on the portal we are an improved team. And i am the opposite of Iowalaw. I'm not a troll hating on the Hawkeyes
You heard it here first...it's a "fact" that a 170 lb walk-on will be an upgrade in the guard court from having a 5 year starter in Conner & Uhlis. Insightful soothsaying.

• Haha
Reactions: HawkOn15
You heard it here first...it's a "fact" that a 170 lb walk-on will be an upgrade in the guard court from having a 5 year starter in Conner & Uhlis. Insightful soothsaying.
I’d take Nimmers and Tony against Connor and Ulis, mostly because of Tony tho.

The first domino has fallen in Ogundale entering the portal. The team is genuinely better off and now has an extra scholly available to find a Big 10 caliber player from the portal with the work ethic needed to play high level basketball.

You were right on both Ulis and Ogundale. For Ulis, I think it is a mistake for him to leave, but maybe he's willing to go to mid major for more PT.

I've been around long enough to say it isn't over until its over. We shall see if there are any more portal outs.

We also will probably get some inkling of how well the Swarm and NIL is working at retaining some players we have that have high market Value and whether Fran for a change can bring in someone from the Portal that
is wanted by other teams that have made the NCAA tourney.

Better athlete, better shooter, better finisher at the rim. I like uhlis a lot but as long as Nimmers can defend as well then it's a big upgrade. With Tony Perkins we have a pretty nice,backcourt. I played college ball and coached so i feel comfortable with my opinion just from my own experiences. Shouldn't you be busy bashing Iowa football or basketball like the nebby trolls? And i apologize if i actually called you clueless. I may disagree with you and not appreciate the negative posts as I'm on the other end of the spectrum. I'm almost always positive but in this case a redshirt will be an upgrade. And his dunks are amazing. I could barely dunk and never anything fancy. I'm always jealous of guys like Nimmers who are so explosive.

I'm worried that Bowen will move on. I'm not sure JoshO does, he came back to Iowa after dipping his toes in the portal and didn't show anyone else any reason to offer him this year if he went back in.

Nailedddd itttttt

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT